Media Megaforum

Pixar-esque Animation Produced by Japanese Animators
Eunice P at 8:12PM, May 28, 2010
(offline)
This isn't a new animation but I really like how it's so Disney/Pixar-esque quality.
Pixar has really influenced a lot of 3D animators in Japan.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Pandafilando at 10:48AM, May 29, 2010
(online)
Back on time pixar was just getting started (about 15 years ago i think) i used to think it was awesome, but right now i'm not sure how good was for the industry (and artists !!).
it generated interest in that method of animation, people thought it was a novelty, that traditional animation would never be replaced, heck they were wrong.
as technologies became cheaper and friendlier, studios started to make their own computer generated movies to varying degrees of succes, until they became the norm, no more traditional animation films for us (at least in the mainstream hollywood medium).

and thus begun what i consider the worst offender to the animation genres; talking animal movies, save for pixar like 99.00 percent of cg movies consisted of this:
1. A Group of animals all voiced by celebrities get in trouble and participate in incredible adventures.
2. An individual among an homogeneous group is different and doesn't fit in, everyone mocks him for being weird, but little they know that his oddness (often genius) will save them all from an unexpected problem/Adversary/Catastrophe.
3. Both 1 and 2 together.

but heck i'm getting off the subject, sorry for the rant, i didn't even know about that sequence, i've been avoiding sonic recently (since like … the saturn days)
but yeah i can get what you say, they pretty much make use of a similar style in their art and animation selections.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
therealtj at 7:47PM, May 29, 2010
(online)
I'm not sure I see how this is “Pixar-esque.” The only similarity I see between this and Pixar is that it's 3-d.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Faliat at 10:11AM, May 31, 2010
(offline)
The animation quality was good, but that doesn't make it Pixaresque.

Why? The story sucks.
I was wanting those ghosts to win because I hated Sonic so much in this.
And what the hell happened to all those kids?

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
isukun at 8:40AM, June 2, 2010
(online)
I thought the kids looked more like those from Monster House and everything else was very anime-esque. I guess the 2D end credits were kind of a throwback to Pixar credit sequences, but beyond that, I'm not seeing a lot of similarities. They use a lot of shortcuts in the Sonic short that Pixar usually doesn't.

Back on time pixar was just getting started (about 15 years ago i think) i used to think it was awesome, but right now i'm not sure how good was for the industry (and artists !!).

Even outside the movie industry, animation is not an ideal job to get into, right now. The schools make it seem like a booming industry, but there are A LOT of unemployed animators in LA right now, and many of the smaller studios are struggling. Networks keep expecting production costs to go down, leading to a lot of Flash-based TV animation. Hell, adult animation almost has to be made using the “puppet” style. Anything else would be too expensive when the networks are demanding production costs well under $100,000 per episode. Even when they meet that demand, though, some studios simply can't get the job done on the budget they're offered.

From what I hear from the guys at Titmouse, many of the animators haven't been paid in the last month since the studio is broke. It's sad when a show like Metalocalypse doesn't pull in enough for its own production. It's not surprising that they're planning to make this the final season. I wouldn't be surprised if that weren't the real reasons behind Boondocks and the Venture Brothers ending, too.

I don't place all the blame on Pixar for this, but the move to CG really did open the doors for replacing skilled animators with lower paid technical staff. There is something really, REALLY wrong with the industry when you don't have to be able to draw to be a 2D animator.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Product Placement at 11:14AM, June 2, 2010
(online)
Pandafilando
While 3D animation seems to have completely taken over the cartoon industry, there are couple of old school work that pops up now and then. Last big feature film was that Disney rendition of the Princess and the Frog.
Faliat
I wholeheartedly agree. :)
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
Hawk at 12:12PM, June 2, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
Faliat
I wholeheartedly agree. :)

It's starting to look like Sega really has bottomed-out the Sonic series if we're all wishing him harm in his own cartoon. Maybe he and Bubsy could team up or something.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Faliat at 6:48PM, June 2, 2010
(offline)
Then again, I was always the kinda kid that wanted to stamp on Jerry for winning all the time and being such a smug git about it. Even driving Tom to suicide and/or killing him firsthand several times without any negative repercussions.

I really hated that mouse…

Say it's a cartoon all you want but I think that excuse became irrelevant after I saw an episode with the souls of drowned kittens in it.

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Product Placement at 6:56PM, June 2, 2010
(online)
Faliat

Where have you been all my life!?!
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
Hawk at 9:24PM, June 2, 2010
(online)
Faliat
Then again, I was always the kinda kid that wanted to stamp on Jerry for winning all the time and being such a smug git about it. Even driving Tom to suicide and/or killing him firsthand several times without any negative repercussions.

Holy jeez, ME TOO.

Tom's just doing his job, trying to keep mice out of the house and out of peoples' food, and Jerry makes his life miserable. Sure, Tom was a jerk now and then, but really he's just doing what he was put into that house to do. I remember one time Jerry actually got the poor cat beheaded.

I was always on Tom's side, even as a kid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
ozoneocean at 9:37PM, June 2, 2010
(online)
Hawk
I was always on Tom's side, even as a kid.
I had no idea there were so many of us!

That horrible, evil mouse… And the sadistic bully of a bulldog he always got to back him up.
I was shocked when I actually saw what a real bulldog looked like- short, fat, stupid, wheezing, hideous blobs of severe genetic mutation through constant inbreeding. Most cats would run rings around them in reality.

Poor Tom. :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Faliat at 1:46AM, June 3, 2010
(offline)
Gentlemen, I do believe we have said what generations of kids have been too afraid to say.

It is time we had a thread to represent these feelings of hate!

Also, I was living in the 19th level of hell..
It took a while because they had to build it for me.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
kingofsnake at 10:41AM, June 4, 2010
(online)
When it comes to rooting for the ‘bad guy’ this one was always the king for me

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved