Media Megaforum

Planet Earth on Discovery Channel
SpANG at 11:26AM, Jan. 12, 2009
(online)
Discovery has brought this series back. They are calling it an “encore presentation” and they are practically saturating the channel with complete blocks of episodes. No doubt they are working on, or have a sequel in the works.

All the better. I love this series. If I had an HDTV, I'd probably even love it more. My favorite are the all the water setting episodes (oceans, rivers). Marine life has always fascinated me.

It seems that the series turned some people off when it first released, because of perceived “political statements about global warming” at the time. Well, it's a few years later and most of the global warming comments in the series are now scientifically proven. I wonder if more people will embrace it this time around.

Anyway, do you watch it/like it?
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
isukun at 11:58AM, Jan. 12, 2009
(online)
I have it on Blu-Ray, although I picked up the BBC version. I never really liked the US version since it cut stuff and I prefer David Attenborough to Sigourney Weaver when it comes to nature documentaries. I'm still a little miffed that the extra three episodes from the BBC version weren't included in the US box sets. They weren't really part of the main series and they dealt mostly with conservation efforts more than the actual wildlife, but it would have been nice to get them as a bonus or something.

There is a sequel of sorts in the works. Discovery and the BBC are collaborating on an HD series called Frozen Planet which focuses on life in the arctic and antarctic regions. It will be an 8 part miniseries and is being billed as the sequel to Planet Earth. Supposedly, it will premier in 2012.

Overall, I like the series and it's a great showcase of the HD technology if you have the Blu-Ray version. The soundtrack is excellent and the presentation is often as touching as it is visually impressive.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ozoneocean at 8:19PM, Jan. 12, 2009
(online)
You simply HAVE to get the Attenborough originals! It is a command! Those shows wer f-ing brilliant! They inspired me as a little kid. Man, I LOVED his series! I have two of the books he made while doing his shows: Life of Planet Earth and The Living Planet, he WASN'T just a voice over man, the guy took it seriously and studied it for himself, it's extremely interesting stuff.

(by originals, I mean the old, old shows…)

You bastard for reminding me of this Spang! Now I'm going to have to try and buy all his stuff on DVD. Dammit! Another series I have to add to my wishlist!
Ugh… I'll get you Spang… >_<

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved