Media Megaforum

Please Recommend me a War Movie
piraterpg at 10:06AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
I dont mean any cowboy or ancient Asian kind of war movie. I mean good ol fashioned war! Seriously I am having a hard time finding a war movie, the kind that has a setting in World war 2 or Vietnam, Where the plot isnt complicated with “drama” or “feelings”. Just a good movie with a few key characters who have to run through machinegun fire for 70% of the plotline. Not in disrespect to other movies or other war movies, but I just want to see a movie that is something like Die Hard 4.0 but on a war scale.

I mean people like violence and there are plenty of violent movies out there so some director must have said: “right! we are going to make a movie about…. war! Yes War! Okay … World War II, US troops (because for some reason it is always American troops)… Germany… Tanks… Machineguns and …. ehhh …. violence! Whats that? Plot? No! No forget plot, just add some explosions No one will notice.”

So please if anyone knows of such a movie please tell me, because I really want to see a good war movie.

www.drunkduck.com/pirateRPG
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
mechanical_lullaby at 10:21AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
Go for Memphis Bell.

Also I think there's one called Mr. Roger's Boat. Or ship, or something along those lines. That's a little bit of a comedy though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Steely Gaze at 10:25AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Well you could try The Guns of Navarone, my personal favorite war movie. It has a lot of action, a good plot (which you said you didn't care about…but whatever), and some mighty fine acting.

Or there's always Kelly's Heroes, which is a humorous slant on the war angle, but with some good action scenes.

And, though I haven't seen it yet, Where Eagles Dare sounds like it'd be something along those lines. A lot of action, a fairly simple plot, and another movie with Clint Eastwood. I read the book and loved it, if that helps any.

I can't think up a lot of other ones that match your criteria, but if I come up with any I'll be sure to let you know.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
lastcall at 11:13AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
I wouldn't call it a movie, but I was a big fan of the TV miniseries Band of Brothers. It was co-produced by Tom Hanks & Steven Spielberg. You can buy it on DVD for a reasonable price on Amazon here.

Here's a sample of BoB, but it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how great the miniseries was.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 11:20AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Full Metal Jacket or Private Ryan are pretty good.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:06AM
piraterpg at 1:13PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
I know what I will be spending my weekend on ^^

www.drunkduck.com/pirateRPG
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
ozoneocean at 1:17PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
Dam Busters.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
TheMidge28 at 1:24PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
The Great Raid came out in 2005. I never saw previews advertising it in theaters but saw it at the local video store and saw it had some known actors but no big stars and rented it. After watching it I found it to be one of the best war movies in recent years. It had the feel of the classics plus some of the sensibilities of the more recent movies released. Highly recommend it.

brief synopsis: Taking place towards the end of WWII, 500 American Soldiers have been entrapped in a camp for 3 years. Beginning to give up hope they will ever be rescued, a group of Rangers goes on a dangerous mission to try and save them.

also a few other titles to consider…Thin Red Line, Hamburger Hill, and Platoon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:23PM
lastcall at 1:30PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
My husband likes The Great Escape. I've never seen it, but I know it's considered a classic.
Ziffy88 at 3:46PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Why is it always World War 2 why not the Napoleonic War. Try the Sharpe's series on the BBC some had really big line battles. Of course they're low budget and not the best looking movies out there. Also Kingdom of Heaven is a decent war movie set during the second crusade I believe I don't remember.

WWI-All Quiet on the Western Front(old black and white version I believe it was made in the 1930s actually it's very good, except for the accents)

Mexican and American War-The Alamo

Civil War-Gettysburg and the war scene in The Good The Bad and The Ugly

WWII there's a bunch
Bridge on the River Kwuia or something to the like
The Longest Day
Tora Tora Tora
A Bridge Too Far
TV show -Combat!

I think Sean Bean did one that took place during Desert Storm.
But really just watch the documentaries on the HIstory Channel They always talk about WWII
What is it with the US and WW2 why don't we talk more about Korea, US Civil War, hell even the War of 1812 when the British set the WhiteHouse on fire.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
lastcall at 6:04AM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
I always liked Braveheart as well, but I'm a sucker for the medieval/celtic genre. FREEEEEDOOOOOOOM!!!!
kingofsnake at 12:00PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
Letters to Iwo Jima was pretty good, although it might be a little dramatic for what you're going for. Theres definately alot of gunfire
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Freegurt at 12:05PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
Flyboys is a brilliant movie. It goes over the American boys who volunteered for the French army in World War I. The story grabs you and the music is great. ;)
I'm not one for war movies, but this one is amazing!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Ziffy88 at 1:24PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
The acting was terrible…also it wasn't as realistic. But I would still rent it. It's B-movie fun
kyupol at 6:13PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)

Taegukgi = Korean war. Very dramatic that I almost cried watching it. Full of themes of brotherhood and reunification which is cliche in every Korean movie.

Mistah = The Islamic insurgency in the Mindanao, Philippines. It is a war that has been in progress for the past 30 years. Explores themes of family and presents the equal side of both the Muslims and the govt troops. The battle scenes are also very good. Hard to find a subtitled version though.

Grave of the Fireflies = more of a civilian perspective of WW2 from the Japanese side. Even though my country was one of those countries invaded by the Japs in WW2, I start feeling sympathy for them by watching this.

Apocalypse Now, Platoon = Vietnam War. Good classic war movies.

Hart's War - WW2 from a prisoner's perspective. A bunch of American troops in a German POW camp. Not your usual bloodfest.

Saving Pvt Ryan, We Were Soldiers - If you like brutal war action. Also very dramatic.

Flags of our Fathers - More of the political side though. Not your typical brutal war movie.

Pearl Harbor - absolutely loved this!

Flyboys - already mentioned. Though I'd like to add that this movie seems to show the bigger picture. The hardships of the pilots of that era with no modern equipment like today's fighter jets.

Starship Troopers 1 & 2 - Even though more of the realm of sci-fi, still an awesome war movie IMO. I liked the story of the 2nd one better even though the budget on the 2nd one was low. Makes you wonder what would war with aliens look like. But seriously if those bug-type aliens did exist, they must be at the same evolution level as us, earthlings.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Ziffy88 at 10:08PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
well if you're going to add Starship Troopers series(also great show) Then why not Aliens.

Also forget Pearl Harbor and just watch Tora Tora Tora you'll skip the crappy “love ”story“” and the annoying Micheal Bay-isms.

Also Taegukgi was over dramatic as the acting wasn't that great.
albone at 7:53AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan are tops. I hear they're going to make a Band of Brothers for the Pacific theatre.

Thin Red Line sucked balls.

Not WW2 releated, but Glory was an amazing film.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
trevoramueller at 10:47AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
Tae Guk Gai: The Brotherhood of War

A movie about two Korean brothers drafted into the Korean war - very tragic, very sad, very well done!
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
patrickdevine at 1:38PM, Feb. 14, 2008
(online)
How 'bout Platoon?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
TitanOne at 8:59PM, Feb. 16, 2008
(offline)
piraterpg
I dont mean any cowboy or ancient Asian kind of war movie. I mean good ol fashioned war! Seriously I am having a hard time finding a war movie, the kind that has a setting in World war 2 or Vietnam, Where the plot isnt complicated with “drama” or “feelings”. Just a good movie with a few key characters who have to run through machinegun fire for 70% of the plotline. Not in disrespect to other movies or other war movies, but I just want to see a movie that is something like Die Hard 4.0 but on a war scale.

I mean people like violence and there are plenty of violent movies out there so some director must have said: “right! we are going to make a movie about…. war! Yes War! Okay … World War II, US troops (because for some reason it is always American troops)… Germany… Tanks… Machineguns and …. ehhh …. violence! Whats that? Plot? No! No forget plot, just add some explosions No one will notice.”

So please if anyone knows of such a movie please tell me, because I really want to see a good war movie.

To be honest, I've never seen a really good “20th Century GI war movie” that was focused on the battlefield and played straight.

“Patton” was a good war film, but it was mostly about Patton, not battle. “Tora! Tora! Tora!” was a decent flick about Pearl Harbor. “The Green Berets” was not bad, although it was a pro-Vietnam propaganda movie. “Kelly's Heroes” was a fairly good comedy war film from the late Sixties.

“Bridge on the River Kwai” and “The Longest Day” weren't bad if you have a high threshold of boredom. “Platoon” was exciting, although, like most post-Vietnam flicks, it was as much fantasy as reality. It was at least better than “Apocalypse Now”. When I watched that film I had the feeling I needed to be on drugs to get the point.

I didn't like “Saving Private Ryan” and most other pro-war films from the Eighties and Nineties, either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
ozoneocean at 12:40AM, Feb. 17, 2008
(online)
Ya, saving private Ryan… Back to the bad old days I though, except with desaturated colour and more blood.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
jalford at 4:37PM, May 13, 2008
(online)
Anything that Tom Hanks ISN'T in!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
shaneronzio at 6:16AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
Quentin Tarantino is currently makeing a WWII movie called INGLORIOUS BASTARDS.

Set in World War 2, the story revolves around a group of soldiers on their way to be executed, only they get the chance for a reprieval.

Michael Madsen has alrady been cast, but there are plenty of other names rumored to be associated with the project, including: Tim Roth, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Paul Walker, Adam Sandler, Eddie Murphy, Johnny Depp, John Travolta, Harvey Keitel, Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken.

….and no Tom Hanks.

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
ChazWolf at 2:01PM, May 27, 2008
(offline)
Being a smack-pow action/war movie kind of fan, I'd recommend all of the following:

Black Hawk Down

We Were Soldiers (awesomely intense Vietnam effort - read the book as well. True story)

Apocalyspe Now (Redux)

The Wild Geese (not really ‘war’ but plenty of hardcore mercenary gun-toting)

The Dirty Dozen

The Longest Day

Where Eagles Dare (most awesome WWII movie…ever)

Great Escape (joint most awesome WWII movie…ever)

Tora! Tora! Tora! (The only version of Pearl harbour you need to see)

Kelly's Heroes (a few of the Dirty Dozen, plus Clint…what's not to like?!)

Some great British efforts too:

Zulu

Lawrence of Arabia

The Eagle Has Landed (daft, but great fun…Michael Caine as a nazi!!)
“I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
ttyler at 7:40AM, May 29, 2008
(online)
All is quiet on the Western front…………A silent film, but you'll find nothing any more powerful and haunting, especially the end scene.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
kingofsnake at 10:24AM, May 29, 2008
(online)
trevoramueller
Tae Guk Gai: The Brotherhood of War

A movie about two Korean brothers drafted into the Korean war - very tragic, very sad, very well done!

I didn't really like that one. But its still cool to see someone else who's seen it
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Ziffy88 at 5:39PM, May 31, 2008
(offline)
I thought it was about 20 minutes too long…and overacted

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved