Debate and Discussion

polluting the gene pool?
Polkster at 8:59PM, April 23, 2009
(online)
Loud_G
Polkster
You could not be more wrong.

Look at feral children as an example of stagnant intellectual development. There's more at play than just education; if a child does not learn how to speak by age 5 or 6, odds are they will not learn how to speak properly at all. This is due to brain development. You brain is not just this big static lump that's given to you by heredity, it's dynamic and develops in a variety of ways based on how it is stimulated.

You just said it isn't about education. And then proceeded to explain how it was about education.

Yes, there are certain stages in a child's development when education is best applied.

That stage is not changing and the only way to get through it is education. This is true for any young animal/creature/person. They need nurture and education in order to develop correctly. This has no bearing on intelligence. or innate ability.

You aren't really providing any examples of evolving or IQ having anything to do with heritable intelligence.

I'm arguing that, for the most part, it is NOT heritable. “Learning” is one form of stimulation, puzzles and games are another form. I've already cited the rat brains and IQ progression between generations.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Bittenbymonk at 5:53PM, April 24, 2009
(offline)
If you want to talk about this then how about starting a new topic? This is gonna get a little convoluted and such if we keep goin like this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Faliat at 7:51PM, April 24, 2009
(online)
Polkster
That's some great Marxist rambling there, man, too bad MONEY CAN BE EARNED. And the “fit” can sustain themselves by serving societal demand in exchange for monetary compensation. The boundary between middle and upper economic classes in the United States is fairly fluid.
Yeah, and where I come from hairdressers and nail technicians are earning more than people working in childcare and the emergency services. The latter two get paid so little in some areas they can barely afford to look after themselves let alone their family based on the money they earn. Which wold you think is more important? The people who save our lives or somebody going about all day making random folk's barnets look nice and asking them about what they did on their holidays? I'm saying this and my AUNT'S a hairdresser!
I don't think they're all stupid. I just think that their work is less important and should be paid accordingly.

And you're talking about the middle and upper classes, but what about the lower and middle classes? The gap is widening all the time.

A lot of very smart people died poor only to be recognised too late for them to earn enough money to have kept them going for longer. A lot of them were stigmatised because they were already poor. History tells us this.
It actually still happens today. My mum told me when we were picking a house to live in, that a lot of employers will dismiss applications from a Norris Green postcode because of its history of high levels of crime. It doesn't matter if the person is the best candidate for the job, if they live in a less than adequate area they are more likely to be poorer and less educated in the eyes of the employer. It doesn't matter if the candidate's CV SHOWS that they are clearly not like that, their search for jobs will still be much more difficult.

We get paid more on benefits than we would get from a salary from the selection of job opportunities we have been given. And since we don't work there's an added bonus of us getting things for FREE, too. Like vet care for our pets, prescriptions, etc. Things that the benefits are SUPPOSED to pay for but don't.

A lot of people here are happy to live off benefits for the rest of their lives, but we aren't.

My mum should be helping kids in need while she's changing nappies of newborn babies she doesn't know and won't change the lives of while at the same time caring for her mentally ill teenage daughter.
My dad should be running his own PC repair business while at the moment he's just sitting around complaining about how sad his life is and watching TV shows he hates because there's nothing better to do.
My sister should be a tattoo parlour apprentice, but right now she's on high-rate disability living allowance on grounds of severe depression after bullying in the workplace took away what little confidence she had in herself.
I should be working retouching and customising photographs for people. But right now I'm spending hours on end in my bed. Worn out by anaemia and trying to adjust to losing a life I was only just starting to claim back before the move.

And yet, there were kids that made my life hell because I could say more than a two syllable word doing jobs I could perform with one hand, my eyes closed and ears plugged while whistling “La Marseillaise” IN REVERSE!

And these same people are popping out waynes by the half-dozen at least. These kids keep getting taken into care while their parents are STILL being allowed to spawn more!

How is THAT the “fit” prospering?

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Polkster at 9:16PM, April 24, 2009
(online)
…what the hell was that?
Faliat at 5:33AM, April 27, 2009
(online)
Polkster
…what the hell was that?
I do believe it was a counterargument.

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Polkster at 7:53AM, April 27, 2009
(online)
Faliat
Polkster
…what the hell was that?
I do believe it was an unintelligible rant.

FTFY.
Faliat at 5:42PM, April 27, 2009
(online)
I'm merely backing up what I posted earlier with personal experience.

And I don't understand why you didn't get that. I thought I wrote it clearly enough.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Polkster at 9:36PM, April 27, 2009
(online)
You didn't, your argument didn't have a clear narrative stream at all. Why don't you rephrase it as bullet points or something?
Faliat at 6:47AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
I already split it up and sorted related sentences together in groups so it would be easier to read. Not everything in it can be summed up into bullet points.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Puff_Of_Smoke at 10:27AM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
Faliat, it was the below that was true.
Faliat
it was an unintelligible rant.
————————————-
Time to bring the topic back to the pollution of the gene pool.

The worst thing for evolution is modern science.

Because we can now cure just about any minor disease and treat some major diseases, no one who would die off usually die off, is dying off. We have made it now so that we could not actually have a ‘clean’ gene pool because everyone is related to someone who would usually die to destroy useless genetic mutations.

And now, we've gone and overpopulated the earth. Because of ethics, we can't that.

An equally bad thing is the media. It manipulates us to go for what is attractive, not at what will help the species as a whole. But of course, we'd become somewhat like the Borg if we just thought about everything as a whole.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Bittenbymonk at 9:55AM, April 30, 2009
(offline)
Perhaps it's best to consider humanity a hive species, and consider the evolution of society as a whole rather than of humanity itself. The ‘Genetics’ would be replaced by the general trend of society and we can talk about how defective members of society can cause instability of humanity as a whole. a bit of a broader argument to consider there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
umbledijum at 2:35PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
something i think that a lot of you guys would like to see is the movie expelled: no intelligence allowed at first i thought, “Oh great. Ben Stein. What sort of comedic pseudohell is this?” Until I realized that it was a documentary. And dun dun duuunn intelligent. My favorite part was at the end with the interview of Richard Dawkins. (take THAT atheism!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Polkster at 2:51PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed#Claims_that_film_producers_misled_interviewees
AnotherUchiha at 5:21PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
Well I'm sure the people with these genetic diseases would feel a little offended on this topic and I would agree with this position. If your against them breeding and sending there genetic disease down the chain then why not look at it in there position.

They were given this genetic disease from their biological parent and they can't help it, and if their parent could pass it on why can't they? I mean some don't want to give it to others and don't but the ones who do who says it's fair to hold it against them. Sure maybe in the wild they wouldn't be able to because they wouldn't be able to survive the harsh conditions but that isn't even a thought anymore because they don't have to worry about that unless all technology is removed from the earth and we are reverted back to cavemen.

Who says it's our choice to judge them for having children?
Maybe it isn't the wisest thing ever but say someone told you “Since you have this disease you can't have children.” Even though they didn't say it to your parents or your parents parents. How would you feel?

I mean honestly I don't like the fact that the people with deadly genetic diseases pass it on by having children and damn their children to the disease and choosing between having children or not but I don't blame them from it because humans naturally are born with instincts to mate and reproduce. And sometimes it's harder for others to repress the urge.

^^" I may have gotten slightly off subject at times (my mind tends to drift XD) but this is my view on this subject and if you object thats fine its just an opinion. Nothing official im just a normal 13 year old kid dont let it offend u, its not like im some big important scientist who claims to be right -w-
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
umbledijum at 3:58PM, May 8, 2009
(offline)
Polkster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed#Claims_that_film_producers_misled_interviewees

Fuck you. Even if the interview was bogus, you just can't ignore the rest of the facts presented in the movie!
Orin J Master at 7:44PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
umbledijum
Polkster

Fuck you. Even if the interview was bogus, you just can't ignore the rest of the facts presented in the movie!

true, but that they would use deceit so freely put s a great deal of doubt on the rest of the claims in the film.

also? resorting to perry slander in poor form in any debate. if you're going to insult someone make it relevant to the matter at hand.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Polkster at 8:17PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
umbledijum
Polkster

If it's a movie about creationism, it's bullshit from the getgo.
umbledijum at 2:24PM, May 9, 2009
(offline)
Polkster
umbledijum
Polkster

If it's a movie about creationism, it's bullshit from the getgo.

Wow. Way to miss the point entirely. It's not about creationism. It's about how well-reputed college professors were fired from their jobs just for mentioning intelligent design as a scientific theory. Not for believing in it. Not for teaching it. Just for mentioning it. Does the term “Nazi germany.” ring a bell? I hope so…
Polkster at 2:49PM, May 9, 2009
(online)
1. Intelligent design is not a scientific theory.
2. “Nazi Germany” does not ring a bell in this discussion.

The Nazi's loved teaching their kids crackpot bullshit theories too, like race hygiene; that's not objective science, neither is ID. ID is creationism with a purposely misleading name.

That one guy you cited from the documentary, who then went on to say his answers were manipulated and quoted out of context, said something along the lines that if there were an intelligent designer–such as an alien race–that designer would have to have developed independently along evolutionary lines.

You can't prove ID, you can't test ID, therefore it is not a scientific theory therefore it does not belong in a classroom. If I were a university president I'd fire every professor who mentioned ID outside of the context of “things that are total bullshit”.
umbledijum at 9:54AM, May 10, 2009
(offline)
Polkster
1. Intelligent design is not a scientific theory.
2. “Nazi Germany” does not ring a bell in this discussion.

The Nazi's loved teaching their kids crackpot bullshit theories too, like race hygiene; that's not objective science, neither is ID. ID is creationism with a purposely misleading name.

That one guy you cited from the documentary, who then went on to say his answers were manipulated and quoted out of context, said something along the lines that if there were an intelligent designer–such as an alien race–that designer would have to have developed independently along evolutionary lines.

You can't prove ID, you can't test ID, therefore it is not a scientific theory therefore it does not belong in a classroom. If I were a university president I'd fire every professor who mentioned ID outside of the context of “things that are total bullshit”.

To whoever said that perry slander had no place in a discussion needs to get their head out of their ass. Opinions are opinions, whether they are a well-reasoned and thought out judgement or someone extending both middle fingers at someone else and unleashing a dazzling array of expletives, raunchiness, and general no-no words.

And Polkster, we need to meet so I can punch you in the face. FUCK YOU!!!!!!
Polkster at 10:12AM, May 10, 2009
(online)
Opinions are nice and everyone's entitled to them but they belong in philosophy courses if they can't be backed by hard evidence.

And fuck me for what? For being rational about the whole matter?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved