Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Possible sprite alternative
gigatwo at 8:42PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
I know there are people out there who make sprite comics simply because they like the pixely style, but (and I may be wrong) I think the majority of sprite users might do what they do more because of the fact that it's easy and doesn't require for the creation of original art. Perhaps drawing is not your forte, or maybe you just want to be able to produce comics in a very short period of time. My point is, yes, sprites are convenient, but are 8-bit images really what you want to be using?

For some of you, the answer to that question is a definite “yes”, but for others a little bit more detail might not hurt.

So here's my question, why not go vector?

On the open clip art library I found a set of Pacman ghosts that were liscenced as being Public Domain, meaning that they're legally free to use, so that you can use the images in any way you feel, without ever fearing that the original creator might take legal action on you. (although I do recommend giving credit to the guy, just to thank him.)

All you need to use them is a vector application that supports svg files. I recommend Inkscape, though there are many other free vector editors out there. Adobe Illustrator is nice, if you want to do fancier things with them, but the blurs don't quite import from the SVG format well (for CS2 at least).

Anyways, here's a link to the pack. Right click and chose “save link/target as…” to save the SVG files for each.:
http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/?gallery=pacman

The creator also did a screencast showing how he created the images.
http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/?gallery=pacman

I'm really not a sprite/clipart comic guy, but I'll see if I can show some uses for them.

——————-EDIT————————

Well, I wasn't feeling very creative.

Notice how the ghosts were resized to be much larger than they originally were, and yet there is no pixelization. (you have to “right click> view image” first) That's the beauty of vector creations.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Skullbie at 12:31AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Wow I was expecting some sprite bashing thread, but what a great suggestion you put forward! nicely done!

I think another base reason people choose sprites is because they have mspaint and don't wish to move on to larger, fancier alternatives.(the alternatives are very complicated to someone uses mspaint, very overwhelming for the first time)

But I wouldn't know anyhow,
All I know is that the pic you made is nicer than some handdrawn stuff here.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
gigatwo at 3:52PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
All I know is that the pic you made is nicer than some handdrawn stuff here.

Of course, I didn't actually, do anything, so it's not as cool in my opinion. Nonetheless, it was easy, and quick, so it might fill the needs of some sprite artists.
lemon_king at 7:06PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
I do Sprite Comics because:

I only have MS Paint

The comics are easy to make

They are very common

Cons to Sprite Comics:

Just one in the crowd
If it's not sane to spell words with your Cheerios, I don't want to be sane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Coveinant at 2:36PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
I started as hand-drawer, but I became a spriter because I just enjoyed it. These assumtions are wrong on all levels.
Enter my contests and be happy about your ideas.

go here, I may have left you something good
CJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
gigatwo at 4:57PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
Coveinant
I started as hand-drawer, but I became a spriter because I just enjoyed it. These assumtions are wrong on all levels.

Okay, my bad.
Xhi at 12:27PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
I started with a manga, but then went to sprite comics because I can't afford to spend so much time drawing when I have school and other stuff.

However, I agree with you. Stealth, my sprite comic, has custom made sprites with more details than most sprite strips out there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
amanda at 2:02PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
Coveinant
That's a little harsh - you might be an exception to what has been said, but I wouldn't necessarily say the opinions of others are “wrong on all levels.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved