Random Discussion

Power Armor Battlesuits: Soon to be reality?
Lonnehart at 2:08AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
I was just watching Modern Marvels on the History channel (I think the episode is titled “Superhuman”) and one of the machines it showed was a powered exoskeleton. This thing matches the movement of its wearer, and so far it can lift a payload of 200 pounds (along with its own weight and the weight of the wearer). Imagine the possibilities if they manage to liberate the thing of the power cables and add armor to the thing. Oh… and heavy weaponry to boot. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
ozoneocean at 5:01AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
You mean like this thing by Raytheon?
-info):

Heh, I posted that stuff here ages ago.
Logically, power-armour would only be able to give you protection from small-arms, and only long rang mostly, not from multiple hits in the same place. It could also offer you some protection from shrapnel, fire, heat, cold, poison gasses and maybe some radiation…
The increased lifting power would be a big help carrying loads… every solder could be armed with something like an XM109 payload rifle, a 50 cal machine-gun, or a 40 mm fully automatic grenade launcher.

So practically they'd function something like a small scout tank, or extremely heavy shock troops.

The way I see the future of high tech mechanised warfare though is that most humans will be away from the front lines. Increasingly you can do more and more with remote controlled machines and even somewhat autonomous A.I. controlled machines (robots if you will, but it's a silly term). If most of your force were machines, then you could have a human or two amongst them in armoured battle-suits to get another perspective on things and make sure things are running right, But I'd think that if you had the capability you'd want to keep the risk to your own people to a minimum.- let the machines do most of the work they can.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Jonko at 6:20AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
The way I see the future of high tech mechanised warfare though is that most humans will be away from the front lines.

But then again I'm sure people will always be willing to stay at the front lines if they can wear a super high-tech robot armor. My guy friends always tell me it's every man's dream ride in a gundam mobile suit, lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
dcole at 6:51AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
I think this one is more up your alley.

Created by (no joke) Cyberdyne, a company from Japan. Rental starts at $2,200/month.
Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist, Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor, The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter: @CarbonandSpace

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
ozoneocean at 7:05AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
The Japanese one is more functional, but lower powered. One of the ideas behind that one is helping disabled people.

Here's a vid of the SARCO Raytheon one:

lba at 8:02AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
There's been an updated version of that Raytheon one recently. I can't quite remember where I saw the article, but they've apparently managed to make it move a bit more fluidly and naturally.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
seventy2 at 9:04AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
except for the running that looked pretty fluid to me. but that would be awesome to see.

also, i dont think humans will ever leave the battlefield, there are just to many people who think a warriors death, is still the best death.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
FinleySharpe at 9:47AM, March 7, 2009
(offline)
One step closer to….METAL GEAR.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
bravo1102 at 5:50AM, March 9, 2009
(online)
Nothing will ever replace the poor grunt who goes in to hold the ground. All the AI in the world still needs an operator and with some serious ECM it'd become useless unlike that poor guy with the rifle. At the bottom of all military training is totally degraded all manual everything. A soldier has to ready for that because when the shit hits the fan that's where you'll probably be. The digital uploads are great and the instanteous communication is awesome but it's a luxury that's too easy to break for a serious opponent with the same techie skills as you have. You want a pile of money? Create cheap ECM that any terroist can carry around and use against those teched up Americans. Or break into their encrypted digital link-ups? lol! Every measure has a counter measure. :)

It makes for a cool video game but running around in it and breaking things and killing people? That GI shirt and M1 rifle makes a much better game anyway. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
ozoneocean at 6:53AM, March 9, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
It makes for a cool video game but running around in it and breaking things and killing people? That GI shirt and M1 rifle makes a much better game anyway. ;)
Eh, you can't hold back tech in warfare. I'm sure if Roman legionaries were still around today they'd be complaining that people don't use javelins and phalanx manoeuvres enough. :)

Think about it- a guy in a powered protective suit is still just the same guy, but now he's a little more protected and stronger so now he can do different things.

But tech continually changes in warfare, there are no constants but death.

Hakoshen at 12:31PM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
Just remember, everything we make, someone else is making something just like it. If we have powersuits, then the Russians or the Chinese or the Mexicans will have them too. And when it all comes down to it, they're going to want people on the ground to make sure it goes right.

And remember the most important thing; your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
bravo1102 at 11:23AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
bravo1102
Eh, you can't hold back tech in warfare. I'm sure if Roman legionaries were still around today they'd be complaining that people don't use javelins and phalanx manoeuvres enough. :)

Think about it- a guy in a powered protective suit is still just the same guy, but now he's a little more protected and stronger so now he can do different things.

But tech continually changes in warfare, there are no constants but death.

You may have missed the point. All the tech in the world may (IMHO-will ) not last the test of battle between two equal opponents. Every measure has a counter-measure. Whether it's tin foil or advanced ECM it will happen. In the end it'll be down to that GI shirt and your personal weapon. Even in the digital M1A2 Abrams they still practice hand and arm signals and degraded mode manual gunnery.

“You can't give rifled muskets to every soldier because then they'd all want Green jackets as well!” The Duke of Wellington on one technological development in warfare. :)
Dark Pascual at 12:58AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Im gonna buy this model:

Now I could make all the senseless destruction in the confort of my city…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
ozoneocean at 3:06AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
You may have missed the point. All the tech in the world may (IMHO-will ) not last the test of battle between two equal opponents.
I don't see how I've missed the point… We're commenting on particular trends and changes in battlefield technology here, not its ultimate conclusion or the intrinsic nature of battle.

All I see is that war technology always changes… Rocks-> axes-> spears-> swords, horses, chariots, fortifications, bows, armour, shields, artillery, bombs, guns, machine guns, gas, aeroplanes…

The thing about war is that it's mostly about change at the sharp end. -Change of political situations, but also of fighting tech: you have to keep staying ahead in order to psyche out your opponent -even if the tech doesn't work better; simply outspending your enemy and forcing him to withdraw the field that way is a victory.
One of the ways of fighting wars (or fighting by not fighting) is making sure it's NOT a level playing field.

-The last thing either side EVER wants is a match of equal opponents.

dcole at 8:58AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
The last thing either side EVER wants is a match of equal opponents.

Damn right. People want to see the little guy take out the big guy. David and Goliath-Style!

Personally, I want to see Joe Lieberman fighting a pack of ravenous, rabid zombie-werewolves. THAT would be a fight.
Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist, Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor, The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter: @CarbonandSpace

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Product Placement at 9:27AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
They should design the final model to look like this:

Because really. If the US army came to invade your country and looked like this…

… you'd find that pretty damn awesome.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
lba at 9:33AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
bravo1102

You two are almost talking about totally different things. And they're both true statements. The technologies we use for everything will always keep changing and no matter what those technologies will be limited by the fact that human beings are involved on some level. And no matter what you'll have people on both sides bitching that we're not doing it right.

And I second PP's motion. Just think how many nerds would join the army and how much smarter the average IQ of the military would become as a result. Talk about military superiority then.
seventy2 at 9:48AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
here here.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
lba at 9:54AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Not saying we don't have some smart people in the field now. But just imagine if we had the kind of people who can figure out how to build a working lightsaber from scrap parts in their garage on board…

Oh how the curve would swing.
bravo1102 at 2:03PM, March 12, 2009
(online)
We the unwilling, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing.

Improvise, overcome, adapt. Hate to say this, but that dumb-ass tanker who is as “un-nerdly” as you can get can do things with spare parts that have won wars. Sgt. Cullin where are you? Take a bow.

Puff_Of_Smoke at 11:54AM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
I'd join the army just to use a battlesuit.

Of course they won't matter when zombies start mutating into…

TANKS!

We'd be just about equal in the Zombie Infection.

dcole
I think this one is more up your alley.

Created by (no joke) Cyberdyne, a company from Japan. Rental starts at $2,200/month.
Cyberdyne?! DATADYNE!
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
ozoneocean at 1:31AM, March 22, 2009
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke
That's an extremely important factor.
A lot of people overlook recruitment, but it's always been a very important and real issue. Militarys don't just use the patriotic, nationalistic call to arms as a tool: they use image.

And they use it for all they're worth and always have! In the 18th and 19th centuries armies would dress the recruiting sergeants and their men up with elements of higher officer uniforms to make them look as impressive as possible. The band units alone would get the most expensive, best looking stuff available! Many people would join just because they thought they looked so cool lol!
For decades the modern militaries have used images and footage of their fast powerful jets, warships, tanks, the image of the brave special forces troops all to sell the idea to people and get them to join.

Even if you only had a tiny elite using battlesuits you'd still get people joining because of the cool factor.

BffSatan at 2:58AM, March 22, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Puff_Of_Smoke
That's an extremely important factor.
A lot of people overlook recruitment, but it's always been a very important and real issue. Militarys don't just use the patriotic, nationalistic call to arms as a tool: they use image.

And they use it for all they're worth and always have! In the 18th and 19th centuries armies would dress the recruiting sergeants and their men up with elements of higher officer uniforms to make them look as impressive as possible. The band units alone would get the most expensive, best looking stuff available! Many people would join just because they thought they looked so cool lol!
For decades the modern militaries have used images and footage of their fast powerful jets, warships, tanks, the image of the brave special forces troops all to sell the idea to people and get them to join.

Even if you only had a tiny elite using battlesuits you'd still get people joining because of the cool factor.

Ozone, Ozone, Ozone, power armour battlesuits, now do you see?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 9:25AM, March 22, 2009
(offline)
One more thing,
Dark Pascual

That thing is probably extremely uncomfortable in the ‘wii’ area, if you know what I mean.

Just pointin' that out.

also, lol confort.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved