Debate and Discussion

Practical use of the 2nd amendment: Joe Horn
imshard at 10:36PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(online)
Mister Mxyzptlk
Aurora Moon
There's so many different types of things that one could use to stop an criminal in the act…. one doesn't even need guns for such things.

so why do we issue them to cops? Why not give them baseball bats?

we kinda do, they're called police batons, nightsticks, billy clubs, etc.

millions of dollars is also spent every year to equip police with non-lethal weapons like tazers, gas, bean bag guns, and so on.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 6:49AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
imshard
equip police with non-lethal weapons like tazers…

So they can use them on uppity 8 year olds…
My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
imshard at 9:08AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
Mister Mxyzptlk
imshard

nah they use 'em on pregnant women too:

example 1 http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/223578_taser10.html
example 2 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313723,00.html

Look, any weapon can be mis-used by any wielder. In fact almost anything can be used as a deadly weapon.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
bobhhh at 9:54AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
imshard
Mister Mxyzptlk
imshard

nah they use 'em on pregnant women too:

example 1 http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/223578_taser10.html
example 2 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313723,00.html

Look, any weapon can be mis-used by any wielder. In fact almost anything can be used as a deadly weapon.

“Don't Taze me Bro'!!”
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Custard Trout at 12:19PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
imshard

Bloody hell, did this actually happen (I would not be at all surprised) or are you condoning using a taser on an eight year old?

I don't understand this thread, do people really think it's ok to shoot a guy because there's a slight possibility he may have robbed someone? I just get convinced that America isn't full of lunatics and then I hear something like this.

To answer Mr.Whatsitdoodle:

I personally would not use deadly force to prevent rape (murder I would be less fussy about), but I can see how it can be justified, the rapist is actively harming another living human being, and the possibility of that living human being dying afterwards is not exactly small. IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO SHOOTING SOMEONE BECAUSE THEY STOLE SOMETHING. WHY CAN'T YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND THAT STEALING < RAPE?

Also, cops and citizens don't get guns over here and OH LOOK! We're absolutely dandy without them.

Jesus Christ, if we did everything your way, we'd be knee deep in bodies.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 3:10PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
Mister Mxyzptlk

Bloody hell, did this actually happen (I would not be at all surprised) or are you condoning using a taser on an eight year old?

Well, there are some 8 year olds that I think ought to get tazed… That annoying Christian kid up the street who keeps telling Mxy Jr. that he's going to hell for one. But in general no, I don't think it's a good idea. But the cops in Florida seem to love using them on kiddies.

Custard Trout
To answer Mr.Whatsitdoodle:

Mix-Yaz-Spit-Lick. Come on folks, its easy to pronounce it.

Custard Trout
IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO SHOOTING SOMEONE BECAUSE THEY STOLE SOMETHING. WHY CAN'T YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND THAT STEALING < RAPE?

Have you ever been the victim of a theft? How many people do you know who have been theft victims? People whose homes have been burglarized spend months and even years being jumpy and scared. They get up when they hear cars drive by or when doors slam. They don't feel safe and secure in their homes. It's a terrible feeling to experience that kind of loss of control. Having had two vehicles broken into and all the lost sleep we suffered because of it I would happily shoot a burglar. I'd do it with a clean conscious and have no regrets. Hell, I'd beat one to death with a baseball bat if it's all I had available. Come to think of it, that may be more cathartic…

Rape and theft are both property crimes. Unless you think rape is a horrible crime because a mans honor is being damaged because he didn't protect his women properly instead of seeing it as a crime where a woman's property, her body and her peace of mind, are being damaged. Physical property is much the same, it represents parts of your life. A big screen TV is a sizable investment. Some run into the thousands of dollars. For a working stiff that can equate to a months wages. 160 hours of his life went into that purchase. Taking it away is like losing all those hours. Stealing a car is even worse. Not only are you loosing all those hours of work that it took to buy the car but you lose more time to having to deal with the repercussions. Finding a new car, hitching rides until you get the car and there are no free programs from the government to get you back on your feet after that.

In terms of numbers, for those who care about such things, the lifespan of a person in the first world is around 80 years. That's about 700,000 hours. If it takes a person 8,000 hours of labor to buy a car that's like losing one year of his life. If it takes them 700 hours of work to pay for a large possession thats like loosing a month of their life. Even a small thing like his big screen TV may be represent a week of his life wasted. And you say possessions aren't worth killing over? Would you mind loosing a month of your life? A year? Would you kill to save that time?
Custard Trout at 3:57PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
Oh yes, I am so shallow and callous that I happily kill someone for the loss of a TV.

Seriously, yes, I have been burgled, I know what it is like to have my possessions whisked away in the middle of the night. Know what I did? I invested in some extra security and I was never burgled ever again.

Except once but that was my fault because I forgot to lock my back door.

A month really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. If the average is eighty years, then thirty one days at the very most is not going to have any sane person seething with bloodlust.

You're still comparing theft to rape. I think rape is a horrible crime because an innocent (well, nobodies innocent really but you get the idea) person is being painfully violated against their will with a very low chance of survival. I still don't think it's worth killing over, jail time yes, severe beatings maybe, but not death.

Theft is still a horrible thing to do to another person, but not deserving of a bullet to the head.

Unless it was the cure for cancer or something.
ozoneocean at 7:00PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
Mister Mxyzptlk
So. if a guy is raping a woman how are we supposed to help her? Stand by and say “ahem, excuse me sir but could you please stop doing that?” Why issue the police guns in the first place if they shouldn't use lethal force to stop rapists or theives?
Did you pass simple literacy and comprehension in school Mxy… Normally I wouldn't ask, but the answer to that question was in the post you quoted from
The rape situation is the ONLY case here where you present something more iffy. Even then though, with a gun (that's what this thread is about) I could stop someone dead in their tracks (pardon the pun) without killing them. Such a thing in that particular situation is so simple that if you couldn't then you shouldn't be let anywhere near a firearm because you'd be just as likely to kill the poor woman, or even yourself.
This thread is still moronic.

People, people, people, whether you have guns, swords, gigantic spiked dildos, 7 story tall steam powered mecha battle-suits, or just a a bad case of wind, do you think that civilians killing other civilians is a good idea?
Especially if it's just over some petty stolen goods?
-I'm not talking about true self defence here.

If you do then my contempt for you, your ideas, the upbringing, education, family background, culture and anything else you may have witnessed in your life that brought you to this state of mind couldn't be more extreme. Indeed; if I passed you on the street I'd probably be moved to stare and laugh, I would probably even pay good money to see you perform your famous unicycle tricks in the zoo… lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 10:49PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean

Why do you consider the possessions of others “petty”? People can have emotional attachments to their possessions. That television might be the first thing bought with a paycheck from a guys first real job after college. It represents freedom and achievement. Sure, its not an Olympic medal but still, it's something he worked hard to get and to trivialize all that is horribly insensitive.

While you may not value your possessions enough to fight to keep them not everyone shares your mentality. For some their possessions define them. To take away their things is to take away their self image.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 11:02PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
A month really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. If the average is eighty years, then thirty one days at the very most is not going to have any sane person seething with bloodlust.

Ever been wrongly incarcerated? How about told you have a disease that has taken away ten years of your life expectancy? Try it sometime and then get back to us about how petty something like a month of your life is…

Custard Trout
I think rape is a horrible crime because an innocent person is being painfully violated against their will with a very low chance of survival.

Got any stats on how many rape victims are killed by their attackers? Somehow I doubt “low” is the actual chance of survival. I'd say the chance of dying while being raped is similar to the chance of being killed while being robbed. What's the big deal with being raped anyhow? It's an hour or two of a woman's life doing something she might do with a guy she hooked up with at a bar. What's an hour or two when a person has so many of them after all. Sure she isn't a willing participant but hey, once it's over it's over. Go on with life, get some mace and don't dress so provocatively. Right? That's your logic for victims of theft, why not apply it to victims of rape?

Custard Trout
I still don't think it's worth killing over, jail time yes, severe beatings maybe, but not death.

So, if the cop sees he woman being raped by some huge guy and he wanders over and tells the guy to stop and he says “fuck off pig”. By your logic the cop should say “gee, I can't draw my gun ‘cause it’s not worth killing him over and he's too big for me to give him a good beating without getting messed up myself.” and walk away?
TnTComic at 6:55AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
TnTComic
Mister Mxyzptlk
So are you willing to authorize the use of deadly force to stop a rapist?

Yes. So?

Why?

Why? WHY?! Do the words “self defense” mean anything to you? Why do you think you're allowed to shoot intruder in some states? ITS NOT TO PROTECT YOUR STUFF

Mister Mxyzptlk
Why do you consider the possessions of others “petty”?

Because it all ends up in the garbage.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Aurora Moon at 9:13AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
Ozoneocean

Why do you consider the possessions of others “petty”? People can have emotional attachments to their possessions. That television might be the first thing bought with a paycheck from a guys first real job after college. It represents freedom and achievement. Sure, its not an Olympic medal but still, it's something he worked hard to get and to trivialize all that is horribly insensitive.

While you may not value your possessions enough to fight to keep them not everyone shares your mentality. For some their possessions define them. To take away their things is to take away their self image.

Yeah, that might be true in some cases. But people can still regain their own self-image after something has been lost.

example– Say some lady has a prized family heirloom and a nice big family of daughters who she hopes to pass on her heirloom to in the future. The heirloom to her is basically her way of connecting with her family's history.
But if a house fire was to appear, which one of the two would she rather have?
I think she would rather have her daughters safe over losing her prized family heirloom. Yes, she might be somewhat sad about losing a part of her family's history… but at least with her daughters safe, she can make more family history with them.
Thus, nothing important was actually lost. Objects rust, break down, and erode away. Even gets burned into ashes in an accidental house fire. Nothing is forever…
So when you look at it that way, is shooting somebody over your possessions worth it if your life wasn't in danger to start with?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Mister Mxyzptlk at 10:46AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
Thus, nothing important was actually lost.

What is “lost” when a woman is raped? What is “lost” when an arsonist sets fire to a home? What is “lost” when a CEO raids the company pension fund?

As for “nothing important” being lost, would you be willing to give up a months income? Would you shred a months worth of paychecks without a moments hesitation? After all, it's only money, it's less than 200 hours of your life spent in vain. How about it, you wanna send us a video of you shredding your next months paychecks to prove that you think possessions are so petty and meaningless?

Any one else wanna take the shred your paycheck challenge to prove how little you think of petty things like money and possessions?
Custard Trout at 10:55AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
Ever been wrongly incarcerated? How about told you have a disease that has taken away ten years of your life expectancy? Try it sometime and then get back to us about how petty something like a month of your life is…

A month out of seventy years is still not that big a deal. Also you are ignoring the existence of insurance.

Mister Mxyzptlk
Got any stats on how many rape victims are killed by their attackers? Somehow I doubt “low” is the actual chance of survival. I'd say the chance of dying while being raped is similar to the chance of being killed while being robbed. What's the big deal with being raped anyhow? It's an hour or two of a woman's life doing something she might do with a guy she hooked up with at a bar. What's an hour or two when a person has so many of them after all. Sure she isn't a willing participant but hey, once it's over it's over. Go on with life, get some mace and don't dress so provocatively. Right? That's your logic for victims of theft, why not apply it to victims of rape?

Because stealing from someone doesn't require you sodomise them?

Besides, I do think victims of rape should get on with their lives, obsessing over it is only going to make the problem worse. Extra security (mace, possibly someone to walk with at night) will help the victim feel safer and that's good. Mental help is also good. What do you think victims of rape should do? Hide for the rest of their lives?

Mister Mxyzptlk
So, if the cop sees he woman being raped by some huge guy and he wanders over and tells the guy to stop and he says “fuck off pig”. By your logic the cop should say “gee, I can't draw my gun ‘cause it’s not worth killing him over and he's too big for me to give him a good beating without getting messed up myself.” and walk away?

Ignoring the fact that in that situation a rapist would run away or attack the cop because it's really fucking stupid to assume they would just keep going at it as if nothing had happened at all, I would rather the cop to use his taser, call for back up, or just shoot the attacker in the leg. Guns don't have to be used to kill you know. A good cop wouldn't put himself first anyway, but nobodies perfect.

Tell me, how does murder = justice anyway? The damage is still done, bullets do not reverse time, you can't stop the trauma of a rape victim just by killing the rapist. Same goes for murder, theft and every other crime.

Fuck it, let's just give guns to everyone and go nuts! After all, if we're allowed to kill people based on suspicion, I want to be able to butcher my neighbours for being too loud.
TnTComic at 11:00AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
What is “lost” when a woman is raped?

Wanna legalize it?
Custard Trout at 11:13AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Mister Mxyzptlk

Wanna legalize it?

Holy shit I didn't see that.

Mister Mxymoron, are you a robot?
Aurora Moon at 2:17PM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
Aurora Moon
Thus, nothing important was actually lost.

What is “lost” when a woman is raped? What is “lost” when an arsonist sets fire to a home? What is “lost” when a CEO raids the company pension fund?

As for “nothing important” being lost, would you be willing to give up a months income? Would you shred a months worth of paychecks without a moments hesitation? After all, it's only money, it's less than 200 hours of your life spent in vain. How about it, you wanna send us a video of you shredding your next months paychecks to prove that you think possessions are so petty and meaningless?

Any one else wanna take the shred your paycheck challenge to prove how little you think of petty things like money and possessions?

Uhhh…. I can't even believe you're comparing a robbery to rape. All of the crimes you listed up above is way too different from each other to even be compared.

Take a break-in for example. If the only thing missing was a TV… then say a guy who makes 2000 dollars a month would be easily be able to replicate it. Maybe even a better, bigger TV along with some new security.
The robber didn't take away the guy's ablity to live and make money, just his TV.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Mister Mxyzptlk at 5:20PM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
I'm still waiting for all you folks who don't think possessions are worth killing over to promise to shred a months worth of paychecks. After all, it's just a month of your life wasted. Come on, that's what you're asking victims of theft to do, just get over it and go on with life.

If that's asking too much, how about your Christmas presents? Gather them all up and drop them into the donation barrel down at the WalMart. Come on, it's only stuff. Sure you might have had some sentimental attachment, but hey, get over it. It's only possessions. Not worth anything in the great cosmic sense of it all.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 5:23PM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Mister Mxyzptlk

Wanna legalize it?

Why not? I mean she's not loosing anything that can't be replaced. If she gets killed then hit the guy up for murder. Otherwise what's she out? A few hours of her life and maybe some peace of mind and a feeling of being secure but heck, that's what a victim of theft looses and it's not all that important.
Custard Trout at 9:43PM, Dec. 9, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
TnTComic
Mister Mxyzptlk

Wanna legalize it?

Why not? I mean she's not loosing anything that can't be replaced. If she gets killed then hit the guy up for murder. Otherwise what's she out? A few hours of her life and maybe some peace of mind and a feeling of being secure but heck, that's what a victim of theft looses and it's not all that important.

Because theft doesn't require the thief have someone tied squealing to the end of his dick.

Do you seriously not understand the concept of pain? Are you seriously that dense? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Aurora Moon at 3:17AM, Dec. 10, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
Do you seriously not understand the concept of pain? Are you seriously that dense? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I agree with Custard. Since you seem so intent on arguing the mental and emotional aspects, Mxyzplitk… fine.
let's compare, shall we?

Effects of having your house broken into:
1) Feelings of being insecure in your home. People don't feel safe anymore in their own homes for a while.
2)Loss of some items that might had some emotional value.

Remedies for those effects:
Install home security measures. Not only that, But there's actually oraginations out there which is setting a new, very effective trend where a homeowner can “register” all items. Not only that, but they get given those small discreet labels and bar-codes that they can put on all of their most valuable items. This allows for tracking of items in case if they ever got lost, or stolen. It also makes it difficult for thieves to sell stolen property. Since the bar-codes and tracking items is very difficult to remove.
This not only gives the homeowners their emotional security back, it gives them a peace of mind that the new items that they now have won't be stolen like their old items were.
And guess what? easily done and fixed!

Effects of rape:
1)Serious results, such as pregnancy or the contraction of a sexually transmitted disease, can occur.

2)Several kinds of psychological results may be experienced over both the short and long term, particularly in child victims, who commonly suffer lasting psychological harm into adulthood. Rape victims often undergo painful social difficulties due to blame for the incident from family, friends, or professionals, and frequently fail to report sexual assault because of these and other fears.

The immediate symptoms of rape trauma include unpredictable and intense emotions. The victim may experience an exaggerated startle response (jumpiness), memories and intrusive thoughts about the assault, nightmares, difficulty sleeping, and difficulty concentrating. Feelings of self-blame (i.e., personal responsibility for the attack), and feelings of dirtiness. The long-term psychological effects of rape can include Post-traumatic stress disorder and Rape Trauma Syndrome (RTS), Obsessive-compulsive disorder, Dissociative identity disorder, self-injury, self-blame, panic attacks, flashbacks, body memories, and sleeping disorders. In many cases, these effects can be life-long if the victim does not receive immediate support and care Long-term symptoms can be exhibited in a way that is either expressive or subdued.

3)Many violent sexual assaults end in death or serious injury. Common physical injuries include gynecologic, rectal, and internal hemorrhage. Other physical consequences may include pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases. Emergency contraception and preventative treatment against sexually transmitted diseases may be required, including prophylactic treatments to prevent HIV infection. AIDS prophylaxis is possible within 48 hours, but is not always deemed appropriate due to the extremely small chance of transmission in many cases (0.1 - 0.3%, or between 1 in 333 and 1 in 1000), the lack of certainty of any effective results (it reduces, rather than removes, the risk), and the often severe side effects of drugs required. Should pregnancy result from a first-time encounter it would carry a higher risk of pre-eclampsia, the condition in which the mother's body reacts adversely to the proteins of the fetus.

4)Often the psychological effects of sexual assault on children are even more profound and severe.

Sexual assault of children can lead to the following: life-long depression, self injury, self-mutilation, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (which often leads to a reduced corpus callosum), flashbacks, psychotic breaks with reality, alcoholism, substance abuse, promiscuity, celibacy, prostitution, an inability to form intimate relationships, self-hate, guilt, anger (which is often directed in-wards as well as out-wards), emotional hypersensitivity, defensiveness, a lifelong inability to trust others, emotional numbness, an attraction to partners who are dominant and/or abusive, and general mental deterioration including loss of IQ.

Survivors of childhood sexual assault face continuing problems into adulthood. Adult survivors often feel a constant need to be in control, which can possibly lead to their becoming abusers as well; a significant percentage of criminals convicted of child abuse were themselves victims of child abuse. In addition, adults previously assaulted as children are twice as likely to be assaulted as adults. Adult survivors have a tendency to become involved in toxic, co-dependent relationships, putting them at great risk of further victimization due to their conscious or subconscious desire to reenact the original abusive situation in order to overcome it.

remedies for the ill-effects:
For most rape victims of all ages, both MALE AND FEMALE, life-long treatment is needed. They often will have to take time away from their lives and jobs to go to Psychological support groups, and go to centers that deals in:
Health
Emergency contraception
Therapy
Art therapy
On-line therapy
On-line Support groups
Steps in healing
Coping skills
Retreats
Medical Training.

So compare the two… see how much it effects a person. And you still think the two can be compared?
Aurora Moon at 3:34AM, Dec. 10, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
I'm still waiting for all you folks who don't think possessions are worth killing over to promise to shred a months worth of paychecks. After all, it's just a month of your life wasted. Come on, that's what you're asking victims of theft to do, just get over it and go on with life.

If that's asking too much, how about your Christmas presents? Gather them all up and drop them into the donation barrel down at the WalMart. Come on, it's only stuff. Sure you might have had some sentimental attachment, but hey, get over it. It's only possessions. Not worth anything in the great cosmic sense of it all.

And funny you should say that…. since I actually did make a donation regarding a lot of my things despite the fact that a lot of my things I had emotional attachments to because of the memories that they invoked.
And guess what? I got over the fact that I wouldn't be seeing half of those things again. Because I know somebody else will be enjoying those things greatly. And also, in the end it's just things. I STILL have my memories and my past…that wasn't gone when I donated all of those things I had.

In case you were wondering what I donated:

1. 80 Barbie and ken dolls, clothing, toys. (My Great-grandma really loved buying those for me to the point that she went overboard. She's gone now. So you could say the dolls were all I had of her, but oh wait… I still have the memories of her).

2. Full English Manga series of Sailor Moon. (I actually started working as an teenager just so that I could be able to afford buying those Manga, since my mother certainly wouldn't buy it for me. Not to mention that Sailor Moon was the very first Japanese Series I actually got into… so it has great memories for me. It was the very first thing I actually worked hard for. Yet, I gave it away for somebody else to enjoy.)

3. A Dozen VHS tapes of Movies that I had ever since my childhood. Has Classics such as Goonies, Stay Tuned,Fire-starer, E.T, Cinderella, etc…
I'm giving those away despite the fond memories of watching those a lot as a child. And plus, DVD is better than VHS in a lot of ways… and I was planning to get those on DVDS anyway. So I was simply making room. ;)

I could go on about the rest of the stuff I donated, but I won't. I think you already get the picture, HM? Things are just things.
TnTComic at 5:31AM, Dec. 10, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
TnTComic
Mister Mxyzptlk

Wanna legalize it?

Why not? I mean she's not loosing anything that can't be replaced.

I think you're done here.
horseboy at 6:20PM, Dec. 10, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'm not saying you're stupid, because I don't think you're serious, (I hope not), but the blogger fellow and the people he's talking about should be locked away in a padded cell.
Yeah, I'm being somewhat facetious, first you've got to establish a threat level. You know, go talk to someone. You can tell pretty quick, even if they don't pull a weapon if they belong there. Of course, since my house passes the shotgun test, it's not like I have neighbors.
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
ozoneocean at 4:36AM, Dec. 11, 2007
(online)
Mister Mxyzptlk
I'm still waiting for all you folks who don't think possessions are worth killing over to promise to shred a months worth of paychecks. After all, it's just a month of your life wasted.
You made a fatal mistake, pardon the pun.

You're not fully appreciating the concept, not fully applying it to yourself, not even understanding it:

Now you see, if it ever became legal and ok for people to kill for unimportant things like simple robbery, even to "protect' their neighbours goods in that way, this would mean a few extra things as well:

1). If someone decides they'd like to kill you, just because, they can use “suspected theft” as a very real defence, making your whole life worth a little less.

2). You do not know for sure if someone is breaking in to somewhere or stealing something or not, at 2am in the morning it can be very hard to tell what's going on. I like to work at night on my PC and the sounds and activities out there can be confusing occasionally; what THIS means is that there's a massive chance you'd end up slaughtering innocent neighbours. But it would be ok since you legitimately feared robbery or robbery from someone else. You can also be killed if you go out to check on your house at 3am, get locked out late at night, check on suspicious activity at a friend's house etc.

In all those cases you could be mistaken for a thief and killed.

Now do you see why this is a bad thing? Property is nothing without life and the expectation of being able to STAY alive. ALL the paychecks you ever earned are useless to you when you're dead. lol!

Besides, Ever here of insurance? It's a rather old concept…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
TnTComic at 5:24AM, Dec. 11, 2007
(offline)
I thought his fatal mistake was valuing property over people. Again, speaks volumes about his character.

What he doesn't seem to understand is shit can be replaced. You can't bring people back from the dead.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 12:00PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(offline)
Custard Trout
Because theft doesn't require the thief have someone tied squealing to the end of his dick.

But all a woman loses when she is raped is a few minutes of her time for the actual act. After all, most women complain that men don't spend enough time on foreplay anyhow, I doubt a rapist is going to waste much time on making sure the victim has a good time. After that, as long as she doesn't get killed, what's the big deal? It's only a little bit of her time and of course her security and she feels invaded. But when someones house gets robbed they loose their stuff which took hundreds of hours to earn the money with which it was bought, not just a few minutes, along with their feeling of being secure and they feel invaded. Seems to me the person who was burgled lost more.

Much greater loss with theft and folks here think that people ought to just get up and get over it. So what's the big deal with rape? A lot less time is lost. It should just be called “surprise sex” and they should get over it like the victims of burglars need to do.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 12:05PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
What he doesn't seem to understand is shit can be replaced. You can't bring people back from the dead.

What's the big deal with a dead burglar? He's probably from a poor family in a poor neighborhood. This means he's living in a home without good insulation so it wastes energy. He probably drives an old POS that belches fumes and isn't fuel efficient. He probably doesn't buy food from local organic sources instead buying cheep processed foods that are shipped from factories thus adding to his carbon footprint.

Hell, a dead burglar is one less nasty old carbon footprint for Mother Earth to deal with. Shooting them is a service to the planet. That old guy needs to get some kind of medal and handshake from Al Gore. Think of all the CO2 those two wont produce now hat they are pushing up the daisies!
TnTComic at 12:13PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(offline)
Why are you still here?
Hawk at 12:14PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(online)
Mister Mxyzptlk
What's the big deal with a dead burglar? He's probably from a poor family in a poor neighborhood. This means he's living in a home without good insulation so it wastes energy. He probably drives an old POS that belches fumes and isn't fuel efficient. He probably doesn't buy food from local organic sources instead buying cheep processed foods that are shipped from factories thus adding to his carbon footprint.

Hell, a dead burglar is one less nasty old carbon footprint for Mother Earth to deal with. Shooting them is a service to the planet. That old guy needs to get some kind of medal and handshake from Al Gore. Think of all the CO2 those two wont produce now hat they are pushing up the daisies!

Are you deliberately saying ignorant and insensitive stuff for a laugh in this thread? I'm trying to figure out how seriously to take you, or if I really should be ashamed for the level you've reached.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved