Debate and Discussion

President Bush's Speech on the "New Iraqi Policy"
ccs1989 at 6:39PM, Jan. 10, 2007
(online)
Anyone just see this? If you did, this is the place to discuss about what President Bush said and what you thought about it.

Personally I thought the speech did a good job of outlining Bush's plans on Iraq. He generalized here and there, making it seem as though the violence was coming only from outside of Iraq and not from Iraq itself. He also made the relationship between the Iraqi government and the US seem too “buddy-buddy”. However he also apologized for what's been going on in Iraq, and actually took responsibility for the way the war has been going.

After his speech, the Assisstant Senate Majority Leader, a Democrat, spoke about the war and about how much we've given to Iraq and how it's now time for them to stand up for themselves. I see problems with his assertion as well. Iraq is a country that is torn apart. It is IN a Civil War, which he stated . So then why would he think that the Iraqi people can stand up just yet? It is for this reason that I am now in support of the “surge” of troops, but I think that a responsibly citizens we have the responsibility to monitor how this troop escalation is going. If in the next six to eight months things don't get better, I don't see how we can advocate remaining in Iraq any longer.

There were definitely things about Bush's speech I liked. It seemed like the most level headed speech he's ever made, probably because he was sobered up by the 2006 elections and the views of the Democrats and the Iraq Study Group. I think it would be a mistake to leave Iraq now, plunging it into more chaos, as Civil Wars tend to go, and instead try to use military intelligence to our advantage. However if things don't improve, the only way to get enough troops to pacify the region would be through a draft, and that isn't going to stand with the American people.

What did you guys think?
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Phantom Penguin at 7:30PM, Jan. 10, 2007
(offline)
I thought it was by far the best speech he has given in quite a while.
He took responisibility for IRaq for the first time, well…ever. But i agree with the Dems that the Iraqi soldiers need to take more parts of the country under their command. But that wont happen unless we get them better training.

He danced around using “civil war” at all, which Iraq is in very deep at the moment.
But in all i liked the better part of his speech.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Charlox at 10:03PM, Jan. 10, 2007
(offline)
I may sound like a defeatist to conservatives but to me Iraq seems to be a lost cause. The war started on fabricated intelligence and lies. Our reasons for going there and staying there keeps changing. From Iraq having weapons of mass destruction, to connections with Al Quaeda, to “liberating” the Iraqi people. Our gov't has not made us safer by invading Iraq but instead has planted even more seeds of hatred and distrust around the world. However, we messed up and it's our responsibility to at least reconstruct the infrastructure our military destroyed. Yet any chance for a democratic, secular government seems like it's going out the window. Well considering our past foreign policies, any gov't is good as long as it's on our side.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
subcultured at 10:34PM, Jan. 10, 2007
(online)
i just wanna know where bin laden is, so we can drop airplanes on him.
did he mention north korea at all?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Ronson at 8:55AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(online)
The troop escalation is the same thing they did last year, with almost exactly the same number of troops. They did get some more ability to go deeper into areas the Iraqi government allegedly wouldn't let us go before, but I'm not sure it'll make that much difference.

The cash infusion into the Iraq economy - if it truly does get used to fund Iraqi businesses to employ Iraqi citizens - will probably help to diminish the insurgency. Unemployment is currently over 50% in Iraq, and when people are desperate they'll fight. If you give them a stable working life, many won't.

As for him taking responsibility for the problems in the war … uh, no. Just saying it doesn't mean there was any real owning of this mess. If there was, he'd have listened to the Iraq Study Group, the generals, the republicans warning him against this course and to the more than 60% of the country that thinks this is a mistake. Instead, he has essentially said “I've made mistakes, but I'm going to do what I want regardless of what the experts are saying… again.”

I hope the national guard troops that are about to be deployed for 2 years will be able to find work when they return.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
marine at 12:09AM, Jan. 12, 2007
(offline)
Maybe he should find the votes from Florida.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
ccs1989 at 2:58PM, Jan. 12, 2007
(online)
Well, I hear the new commander of American troops in Iraq is a lot better than the last one, but is a problem that only 5000 of those 20,000 troops will actually be deployed at the problem areas in a given time. If they can hold onto sectors that they clear of insurgents, great. Still, to hold the entire country, an additional 300,000-500,000 troops is the only way to go, and that would require a draft, which isn't going to happen.

Anyway America really did fuck up this war, and I doubt that this surge will help all that much, but it may stabalize things a little bit in Bagdad. But if the death squads continue, the insurgents keep up their assult, and things keep going to hell like they are, I think we should leave after 6 to 8 months. It's just not worth it. It would take 10 years and thousands more troops to stablilize the country, but this country won't put up with this war for more than a year or two more. Republican congressman are worried about being reelected, so many are starting to come out against the President.

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
theleast at 4:18PM, Jan. 12, 2007
(offline)
I listened to his speech live on radio (it was broadcast on ABC local radio in Sydney, along with an analysis), and what struck me the most was how nearly all of the language was geared towards emphasising America's interests (often with fear as the motivation), and not the interests of Iraq. Okay, I know this speech was designed for American consumption, but it seems to be the wrong way to be looking at things if Iraq is ever to start healing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
marine at 11:53PM, Jan. 13, 2007
(offline)
I bit the bullet and listened to it. I've gotta say, the Zerg rush is a strong stratagy, its worked for Zap Branigan when he faught the kill bots (he knew that after sending legions and legions of men at them, they would eventually run out of kills or something similar) Bush has obviously saw some of Korea's proffesional starcraft matches, which are strangely awesome. 20,000 more zerglings ready for the slaughter. When it would only take one push of one little button to whipe that whole area off the earth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Lords_of_Darkness at 1:14PM, Jan. 16, 2007
(offline)
This isn't really my opinion, but I can see where he got it from. My sub in school today said that America was the second most “terrorist-like” counrty in the world. He never said the first. But I can see where hes coming from since we, I'm an American, start wars over over-exaggerated (spelling) fears and suspision (spelling yet again).

If we wouldn't of done anything over there expect Afgahnistan, the world would be a much better place. And as for the whole draft thing since Bushs idea of “If we run down their ammo, THEY HAVE NOTHING!!!” theory (I know its not real, but its close enough), Congress better shut that down before any public even know he proposed it. But, him being a god-fearing man, I doubt he'll try it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved