Help, Support and Suggestions

Problem with the DrunkDuck Alerter
Blackmoon at 5:43PM, Aug. 29, 2008
(online)
Okay, so, I'm running Vista, but all of a sudden, my version of the DD Alerter isn't quite working right any more. It used to work great, but now, every time I start it up, it displays that “Using the alerter for the first time? Here's what it does!” message box. It'll tell me when people update comics or when I get a comment for a few hours, but eventually, it just starts telling me “Unhandled exception in etc. etc.” and not giving me any other info. Basically, after a while, it just stops working.
I've also heard some of my friends who also use the alerter say that sometimes, comics update but don't show up on the alerter for some reason.

Has anyone else had this problem and have a fix? Or is it just me?

EDIT: Oh, and, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it at your leisure.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
SpANG at 6:04PM, Aug. 29, 2008
(online)
I think I found your problem.
Blackmoon
Okay, so, I'm running Vista…
Not that I think vista is bad, but it's got security issues.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Custard Trout at 9:14PM, Aug. 29, 2008
(offline)
I didn't realise the alerter was even compatible with Vista.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
skoolmunkee at 2:04AM, Aug. 30, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
I didn't realise the alerter was even compatible with Vista.

It probably isn't, technically speaking. It's meant to work on .NET 2.0, but if Vista implements that differently than XP, it's going to affect the Alerter.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
usedbooks at 9:19PM, Sept. 2, 2008
(online)
Blackmoon
Okay, so, I'm running Vista, but all of a sudden, my version of the DD Alerter isn't quite working right any more. It used to work great, but now, every time I start it up, it displays that “Using the alerter for the first time? Here's what it does!” message box. It'll tell me when people update comics or when I get a comment for a few hours, but eventually, it just starts telling me “Unhandled exception in etc. etc.” and not giving me any other info. Basically, after a while, it just stops working.
I've also heard some of my friends who also use the alerter say that sometimes, comics update but don't show up on the alerter for some reason.

Has anyone else had this problem and have a fix? Or is it just me?

EDIT: Oh, and, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it at your leisure.

Mine has been doing that a LOT lately. So, it's not just you.

I run Windows XP. Haven't changed my computer/browser/OS I downloaded the alerter over a year ago.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
ozoneocean at 9:51PM, Sept. 2, 2008
(online)
That wouldn't be because of your OS or the alerter on your computer.
What it indicates to me is that it's something going on with the server end: here, not with you. :)

It could be related to changes in coding here on the site, but I suspect it has more to do with the demands that DD stuff is making on our server CPU these days which is what causes things to go wrong on the site occasionally.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Masq at 3:26PM, Sept. 11, 2008
(online)
I'm having problems with my alerter too. I'm not sure if it's server based or not. I'm contantly getting an error relating to the Microsoft .NET program to which the alerter shuts down and seems to “restart.”

And usually at around 4am, I'll get an error from the alerter saying “user does not exist.”
Whothehellstolemyspacebar?!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
skoolmunkee at 3:14AM, Sept. 12, 2008
(online)
Depending on your time zone, there is an hour in the early morning (4am pacific I think) where the server runs its maintenance routines and the site and alerter go all wonky for about 10-20 minutes, and can't communicate with the database. That's probably what's happening to you, unless you're talking 4am England time or something.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved