Random Discussion

Project Natal
cirienphoenix at 10:28PM, June 4, 2009
(offline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U

I can't understand how scanning in your own gear would ever work since you'd have your hands on it and it would scan at least your hands, if not your whole body into it. Regardless, someone told me they thought this was expected out in it's infant form in 2010, but I can't believe this isn't going to come out until 2020, at the earliest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
subcultured at 3:28AM, June 5, 2009
(online)

it would be cool if they could actually do 5% of this video… but i doubt it
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
AQua_ng at 4:48AM, June 5, 2009
(online)
Ever wonder what the bottom of an avatar's shoe looks like?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
ParkerFarker at 5:43AM, June 5, 2009
(online)
AQua_ng
Ever wonder what the bottom of an avatar's shoe looks like?

That was hilarious,
but there is actually a Project Natal thread already in The Game Room,

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Product Placement at 5:50AM, June 5, 2009
(online)
Yeah, I've been watching these same presentations and I'm in shock. They're promising an awful lot of new stuff. The thing is, if they can't measure up to their promises, they'll be a laughing stock so they must be serious about these claims.

Did anyone see the presentation that Lionhead made?

I mean, that stuff is scary. However lionhead is known for saying shit like “this game is going to revolutionize everything” only to present us with just another game. I'm pretty sure that this Milo can only respond to a certain amount of dialogs at the moment and that the girl in the presentation was probably instructed to follow a certain script so that she wouldn't say anything that Milo wouldn't understand. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if that thing will one day beat the Turing test.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
BffSatan at 11:02PM, June 5, 2009
(online)
It's basicaly a highly advanced version of eye-toy. Remember how that turned out?

People got sick of the novelty. Project Natal is bound to go down the same path, it's cool, it's amazing, but it isn't what gamers want.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
ozoneocean at 4:32AM, June 6, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Yeah, I've been watching these same presentations and I'm in shock. They're promising an awful lot of new stuff. The thing is, if they can't measure up to their promises, they'll be a laughing stock so they must be serious about these claims.
Looks fake in that the lines the kid speaks have to be scripted. I doubt that's an extremely advanced computer voice that's able to change its tone and inflection to sound “natural” when reading out sentences that the computer program constructs itself. For one thing that tech is in another field and would be MORE revolutionary and useful than this game control thing.

Besides, it sounds like a child actor is reading it- a bit clunky- so whatever she does has to trigger the boy to say his pre-scripted lines. Nothing amazing there… The control method is the important thing, unfortunately the fakery of pretending they're really interacting take away from the presentation a bit.
BffSatan
but it isn't what gamers want.
I'd disagree in that having a controller in your hand isn't essential to the experience of a game. If they can make that controller nice and intuitive, then they might just free us from those stupid things. It'd be lovely if they could.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
lastcall at 5:01AM, June 6, 2009
(offline)
Didn't Penny Arcade do a comic about this yesterday? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
seventy2 at 10:51AM, June 6, 2009
(online)
i saw, it was pretty hillarious.

i dont think half the stuff will be available on the 360. but i'm sure the next gen will take over the project.

and this is exactly what gamers want. just look at any show about the future, their gaming is all VR….this is just the next logical step towards that. combining the PS eye, and the nintendo WII technology.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
Hawk at 1:32PM, June 6, 2009
(online)
I've heard from somebody supposedly close to Microsoft that they intend to start including Natal with each new Xbox360 purchased. I've also heard that it's suffering a bit from lag as-of-yet and it required some strange overclocking of the 360 to get functional. Apparently this is because it's having to act as a 3D scanner to construct and calculate geometry out of the images its cameras are bringing in, and that takes additional processor power. I'm not sure how they expect it to work on the non-overclocked systems they've already sold, but I assume they're still working kinks out of the system.

Take all this with a grain of salt. The guy I heard it from is a fellow employee who has worked for a few different game studios over the years and still retains some connections.

I don't expect Milo to even be half of what Peter Molyneux promises. Molyneux is the king of broken promises, and to deliver what he's promising would be one of the greatest achievements to date for artificial intelligence. I just don't see that happening in a game, especially coming from the guys who just made the game where you send your dog out to dig up condoms.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
subcultured at 3:45PM, June 6, 2009
(online)
moleyneux does tend to exaggerate…
but even 50% of what he promise does make a good game.
fable 1 still has a special place in my heart.
J
Puff_Of_Smoke at 10:03AM, June 7, 2009
(offline)
I'm going to just continue using a controller. The only reason why I prefer a 360 over any other current generation system, is that it does not have motion controls.

They better not make every game after it comes out with these kinds of controls >_>
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Product Placement at 12:16PM, June 7, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Product Placement
Milo.
Looks fake in that the lines the kid speaks have to be scripted. I doubt that's an extremely advanced computer voice that's able to change its tone and inflection to sound “natural” when reading out sentences that the computer program constructs itself. For one thing that tech is in another field and would be MORE revolutionary and useful than this game control thing.

Besides, it sounds like a child actor is reading it- a bit clunky- so whatever she does has to trigger the boy to say his pre-scripted lines. Nothing amazing there… The control method is the important thing, unfortunately the fakery of pretending they're really interacting take away from the presentation a bit.
I do agree with you that this event is probably staged to a certain degree. What I believe to have seen is some sort of really advanced conversation simulator that's capable of listening to what you said and answer you with prescript answers. For example if you ask him if he's done his homework, he'll probably always start looking down guilty and eventually admit that he hasn't started yet. This demo is probably limited to very few answers at the moment and the woman talking to Milo was probably instructed to what she was allowed to say to him so that she didn't confuse the program. I do agree that Molyneux is a spinner of tall tales but there's always some half truths in his claims.

I'm still trying to grasp the grandeur of all the promises that Microsoft is making with Natal. I mean it's supposed to be able to sense our movements, be equipped with powerful voice recognition technology, capable of scanning pictures that we hold in front of it and so on. It sounds like many of you don't believe that it can measure up. Well, if it can't, then why make all these crazy claims? Customers are gonna be furious if it turns out to be false.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
subcultured at 6:31PM, June 11, 2009
(online)
the more i see it, the mroe i want it!
J
WhizKidDoubleCross at 1:58PM, June 17, 2009
(offline)
I'm curious as to how the sales of the Xbox 360 are going to go with project Natal coming out. I still remember when the 360 came out and all the hard drives crashed and melted. I just hope this doesn't happen again.

I have to say Microsoft is stepping up their games making them far more interactive. I'm just curious as to how many people are going to kick their own TV's when it comes out. I still remember youtube videos of people throwing Wii-motes into TV's when it first came out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
Orin J Master at 1:46PM, June 18, 2009
(online)
didn't sega do this like ages ago for the genesis?

why would programmers bother with making games for this when the bulk of gamers really don't want to flail around? i know there's a bunch of breakable stuff right near where i game, and the same goes for most of my gamer friends.

really, exercise is for other things. video games never do well with it. which is too bad, because i loved the boxing cabinet at the arcade, 'til they replaced it with a fifth inital D piece…..
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
WhizKidDoubleCross at 9:17AM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
Orin J Master
didn't sega do this like ages ago for the genesis?

why would programmers bother with making games for this when the bulk of gamers really don't want to flail around? i know there's a bunch of breakable stuff right near where i game, and the same goes for most of my gamer friends.

really, exercise is for other things. video games never do well with it. which is too bad, because i loved the boxing cabinet at the arcade, 'til they replaced it with a fifth inital D piece…..

To disprove that Wii can talk about the Wii fit all day long and how successful it is. The gaming industry is evolving. Especially thanks to Nintendo people don't want to sit on their butt with a controller in hand any more. So things like this allow the gamer to actually be in the game.

Also I don't remember Sega coming out with anything near this realm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
Custard Trout at 9:54AM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
WhizKidDoubleCross
To disprove that Wii can talk about the Wii fit all day long and how successful it is. The gaming industry is evolving. Especially thanks to Nintendo people don't want to sit on their butt with a controller in hand any more. So things like this allow the gamer to actually be in the game.

Yes they do. The Wii is aimed towards a casual audience, i.e. people who do not normally play games. Most people who'd describe themselves as ‘gamers’ hate the Wii. Because the games that can be released for the Wii are restrained to being very simplistic because there is no way to induce any variety in the controls. Also, because they can't sit on their arse, gamers are sedentary by nature.

Also, people play games to relax, like they do with any other form of home entertainment. No one wants to wave their arms around like a tit to turn the pages in a book or change the channel on a television, why should they want to play games in the same way?

One more point, the idea of marketing games to people who don't play games is just stupid. Why play tennis on a Wii? Most gamers wouldn't want to play tennis at all, because they'd have to move, so why do the same thing for a fake version? Most non-gamers would just play real tennis, so why would they play a fake version either?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved