Random Discussion

Projection on Buildings (3D Video Mapping)
subcultured at 6:51PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
Projection on Buildings from NuFormer Digital Media on Vimeo.

edit

Using projectors as light sources we can transform the surface properties of arbitrarily complex objects. The color of a surface is normally defined by the amount of light reflected/absorbed by the particular pigment/material of the object. In spatially augmented reality we lift the properties of the surface into the light source. I.e. instead of illuminating a red object with white light, we can illuminate a white object with red light.

We are in the process of developing a toolkit for the development of projection mapping/spatially augmented reality applications. Our focus is on projection mapping for theater and new media installation pieces using tracking with embedded light sensors.

Currently, we are researching human computer interaction issues with spatially augmented content authoring. We are focusing on improving the content pipeline (which is largely non-existent). Traditional video editing and computer graphics workflows are not designed for animated texturing and easily matching physical and digital models.

In this demo we are calibrating a digital model of the box to the physical box using embedded light sensors. Essentially, the projector displays a pattern which photosensors embedded into the box recieve and decode. With this information, we can determine the positions of the sensors in the projectors frame of reference. With enough sensors (at least six) we can determine the parameters of the projector (the lens etc.) along with the rotation and orientation of the box. Then using a game engine, we render a 3D model of the box from the projectors frame of reference. Finally, applying an animated texture to the 3D model of the box, yeilds the demonstration above. This technique is explained extensively by Johnny Chung Lee.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
therealtj at 7:06PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
That looks awesome, but how would it look for people who aren't looking straight on?

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
ParkerFarker at 3:07AM, Sept. 24, 2009
(online)
That was really cool, but I have to wonder if it was actually real. I understand that it can actually be done, but it looked like there were barely any people actually watching it.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Product Placement at 3:17AM, Sept. 24, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
That was really cool, but I have to wonder if it was actually real. I understand that it can actually be done, but it looked like there were barely any people actually watching it.
Same here. I figured it was just some computer rendering.

All building projection I've seen has never been THAT sophisticated. You'd have to scan the side of the building with an amazing details and build a laser projection system around it, that's programed to respond to that data. It's possible but requires allot of work and would be very expensive.

And like TJ pointed out, it would only look cool from a specific angle.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved