Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Proportions and how to get them right.
Piscareous at 7:43PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
I need help with getting body proportions right. I think im alright at getting them at least halfway right but I do need some practice. With that said does anyone have any tips that could help me out? Much appreciated.:)
“Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance”
{url=http://www.drunkduck.com/Serenade_Song/}
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Triss at 9:03PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
Make your friends model for you. They'll be flattered. Probably.
“When once the morning star shall rise, when earth with shadow flees away, and we stand safe within the door, then you shall lift the veil thereof…”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Triss at 9:05PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
Took a look at your comic. It looks OK, but you might consider making your hands slightly bigger.
“When once the morning star shall rise, when earth with shadow flees away, and we stand safe within the door, then you shall lift the veil thereof…”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
kytri at 9:08PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
I usually look at myself in the mirror if I'm not sure on a proportion. Of course it helps if you look at lots of different people because some people (like myself) aren't proportioned “correctly.”

Also anything that teaches anatomy is helpful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Darth Mongoose at 2:28AM, April 30, 2007
(online)
There are lots of little tricks to help with this:
Straighten your arms by your sides, and youll notice that:
Your elbows are roughly at the same height as your waist. Your wrists end at roughly the same height as your legs begin and your hands, if the fingers are straight out, will end around halfway down your thighs.
Spread your arms out as wide as they go. The measurement from fingertip to fingertip will be roughly the length of your entire body.
For the head:
If you're always wondering where to put ears, the top of most people's ears lines up at the same height as the middle of their eye, and the lobe is just where the jawbone ends.
For the torso:
If you draw your knees right up to your chest, you will notice that your knees are now level with your collarbones, and your feet with your bum. In other words, your thighs are a little shorter than your torso, and your shins are a little shorter than your thighs.
How much shorter? Well here's the ‘ideal’ ratio:
1:1.6
http://www.medhunters.com/articles/geometryOfHumanAnatomy.html

You may be saying ‘umm, what the crap?’ for this, but it's true! check it out! Your forearm is about 1.6 times the length of your hand, your thigh is 1.6 times the length of your shin, your shin is 1.6 times the length of your foot….weird, huh? Personally I don't think about this too much when I'm actually drawing, but I do think it's really interesting and worth knowing.

You're almost there. You have the basic structure and the positioning down well, you just need to work on the specific shape of things like the shoulders and the crotch area. Personally I find it helps to draw a ball coming off the shoulder so I know where the arm should start, and imagining the legs attached like the legs of a doll or action figure (have a look if you still have old ones from childhood, they've very handy).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Modesty at 11:13PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice!!!
It's the only way you'll learn. There are several tutorial websites that show proper anatomy construction that you can learn from. ;)
And don't forget Practice!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 11:50PM, April 30, 2007
(online)
I recommend taking an anatomy class,
or perhaps buying a book with realistically drawn poses in it, and copying them until you can basically mimic them.
Or the how-to-draw-manga books are freakishly useful, too!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved