Media Megaforum

Quarantine: Blair Witch meets Living Dead
jalford at 4:25AM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
Just saw an advanced screening of Quarantine. It's a remake of a Spanish film called REC that came out less than a year ago. It's about a reporter and her cameraman who film a zombie infestation of a downtown apartment building. The ending is really muddled(even though they show the final shot of the movie in every promo), but you never really figure out whether the cause was from some albino aliens living in the attic, or whatever the hell was going on with that. The whole movie is shot from the point of view of the camera, including using it to kill zombies with. So its basically Cloverfiled with undead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Hawk at 8:57AM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
The previews are interesting. But given the state of scary movies these days, it's the kind of thing I'll wait for a bunch of reviews on before I spend any money to see it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
SarahN at 9:16AM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
jalford
So its basically Cloverfiled with undead.

Which is strange, considering George Romero already did that recently with Diary of the Dead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
TheMidge28 at 12:49PM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
SarahN
jalford
So its basically Cloverfiled with undead.

Which is strange, considering George Romero already did that recently with Diary of the Dead.

Just to advise, the original Spanish movie which Quarantine is based on was released on August 29 2007 at Venice Film Festival with Romero releasing Diary of The Dead on 6/8/2007 at the Toronto Film Festival.

Very close release dates there. But Romero's didn't have a huge release and was more direct to video after its short non-existent run.

I am interested in seeing Quarantine though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
lefarce at 8:10PM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
I hardly see the logic in remaking horror films from other countries. Cant you just dub it or throw some subtitles up there? All people do is bitch about how they aren't true to the original anyway, so why not same some money and just do the film justice?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
TheMidge28 at 1:44PM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
lefarce
I hardly see the logic in remaking horror films from other countries. Cant you just dub it or throw some subtitles up there? All people do is bitch about how they aren't true to the original anyway, so why not same some money and just do the film justice?

I can agree and disagree to what your saying. It depends on the original. There are some remakes from horror films which I felt the remake was much better. I think firstly of The Ring. I really enjoyed the american remake more than Ringu. One that really blew was The Eye remake with Jessica Alba. Nice “eye candy” but it sucked as a remake.

Remakes in general whether from foreign movies or older movies is always a gamble and sometimes paysoff. I have to see both movies and Quarantine to make a fair opinion on those two movies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Hawk at 5:50PM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
TheMidge28
There are some remakes from horror films which I felt the remake was much better. I think firstly of The Ring. I really enjoyed the american remake more than Ringu.

I also liked the American version more. I agree, sometimes the remake is better. History shows that it's not commonly the case, but I think it's still completely possible.
jalford at 12:29AM, Oct. 13, 2008
(online)
Still couldn't make out what the fuck was going on in the ending? Was that an alien, or a mutant, or a really old blind albino, or what?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Hawk at 1:12PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
Now that I've seen it, and spoilers don't seem to matter in this thread, I'll just say what I think we saw in the end.

Nah, I guess I'll use spoiler tags.

I think what we saw at the end is the original cause of the super-rabies. Early on in the movie they mentioned that there was a guy living in the attic that nobody has seen for months. That's him. But you could see from the things found in his home that he was part of some cult. He was also doing some medical-type research. The biggest clue however was all the rats he was keeping… They would be perfect for spreading super-rabies.

I believe one of his rats got loose, and after infecting him, made its way through the building. It infected Max (the dog) and possibly even the younger blonde lady who was killed by the cameraman. This rat was probably the one the cameraman stomped on. That's why it came running toward him. Of course, Max the dog was what infected the little girl and Mrs. Espenoza.

What I think we're seeing in the end is a man who had intended to cause havoc in the city with this disease, but everything backfired. He's in the advanced stages of the super-rabies and trapped in his attic apartment until those two people got in.

NickGuy at 3:23PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
cloverfield was a perfect movie IMO. one thing it did that no other movie has ever done is make you really feel like you are in new york city.

REC is a great movie too. quarantine is pretty much a shot for shot remake of it, so a review isnt necessary. but both are good films.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved