Media Megaforum

Questionnaire: Do you like Kung fu movies?
supermathsbeaver at 11:32AM, Jan. 20, 2009
(online)
Even if you don't I'd really like to know what you think of them as I'm making my own and it's hard to make it awesome if you don't know what people like.
Here are my questions! Please help me out here.

1.Do you like Kung fu movies?

2.Why do you think that?

3.Is there anything you especially enjoy or hate about them?

4.Do you have a favourite/ least favourite?

5.How do you feel about them when mixed with other genres i.e. most of Jackie Chan's movies?

It's just the five questions since I can't think of anymore. But feel free to ellaborate- all comments much appreciated.
GREEN BURGERS KILL PEOPLE!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
NickGuy at 12:02PM, Jan. 20, 2009
(online)
are you fucking SERIOUS????

1. HELL TO THE YES.

2. Because Kung fu kicks ass

3. awesome fight scenes, impending sense of drama that the 70s movies had that at the time was unequaled…also, with the really good ones, they managed to be both deep and superficial at the same time.

4. its impossible to have a bad kung fu movie….unless the fight scenes are bad.

5. kung fu is good in ANY genre.

ill add more some other time.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
kingofsnake at 12:06PM, Jan. 20, 2009
(online)

VERY YES!

2.Why do you think that?

Why do I think I like Kung-fu movies? Because I have a shelf full of them.
or do you mean “Why do I like them?” Because they're awesome. Because of the skill of the martial artists, choreographers, and stunt team. I will love a terrible movie (like Tony Jaa's The Protector) if the fighting is good enough (again, like Tony Jaa's The Protector.)

I dislike broad Cantonese comedy, and some the pretentious devices you see in asian cinema (especially Japanese films that doesn't have names like Kurosawa or Miyazaki attached to them.) I also generally perfer something real to wire-fu.

Jackie Chan's Young Master is probably my favorite. Jackie Chan at the top of his game, exerting some creative input on a film for the first time. He stars with his friend Yuen Biao for the first time, and Hwang ing-sik is one of the best martial artists I think he's ever fought on screen. Its got all the great extended fight sequences you expect from a kung fu movie from the era only interspersed with the comedy that he's since become known for.

Knockabout with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao is pretty fantastic too. Yuen doesn't have the charisma Jackie does but his martial arts is arguably better. It has some of the silly comedy that Sammo likes so much, but the quality of the Kung-fu more than makes up for it.

I don't have a least favorite. I've seen some pretty awful ones though.

5.How do you feel about them when mixed with other genres i.e. most of Jackie Chan's movies?

It depends on how well it's done. Sometimes it works: see Jackie Chan's Black Dragon (Kung-fu Pocket Full of Miracles) Sometimes it doesn't: see Sammo Hung's The Prisoner (Kung-Fu Cool Hand Luke)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
kyupol at 5:46PM, Jan. 20, 2009
(online)

- yes.

2.Why do you think that?
- Because it gets me pumped up and ready to kick some ass!!! lol

Though seriously, because its entertaining and I have an attraction to fights for some reason. Not only kung fu movies appeal to me. Even anime, even animal fights, gang fights, anything that fights basically. I dont care as long as there's a fight. Its that base instinct that is inclined towards violence. I do sort of have that in me.
Though I prefer WATCHING fights than being INVOLVED in it.

- I enjoy the fight sequences.

- I hate the cliche predictable storylines that most of these kung fu movies have.

- Favorites: Jet Li, Bruce Lee.

- Lease Favorite: Don “the dragon” Wilson. He may be good in kickboxing but his acting just sucks. Sorry if you're a fan of his.

- I like kung fu movies mixed with fantasy or sci fi elements.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
mlai at 7:13PM, Jan. 20, 2009
(online)

Yes. I like it in live-action, anime, manga, and video game formats.
Oh, and early Ultimate Fighting Championships.

2.Why do you think that?

Why is it good? I like intricate action, intense dramatic action, cool action. There's nothing that personifies that more than kung fu fights. Oh, John Wu gun-fu is good too.
I prefer Western action ethos when it comes to swords/weapons though. Chinese weapon fighting is too fancy, and Jpnese is too much staring and too short on actual fighting.

Dislike:
If we're talking about Asian movies, then I'd say the stupid plots and cheesy characters.
The new genre of movies such as Hero, House of Flying Daggers, etc, is better in that regard. But it's really soapy… It's as if the ppl from Queer Eye For The Straight Guy produced those movies or something.

Like:
When the characters are REALLY cool and kickass. Like the 7 Samurai… the characters are cool. Like King of Fighters… the characters are cool. Like Matrix… Like Point Blank Assassin…

Favorites: Matrix I, Equilibrium.

Least Favorite: Too many to list.

So Bad It's Good: The Avenging Disco Godfather. Oh, and this one…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY&feature=related

I like ones like The Matrix and video games like Street Fighter and King of Fighters. Feels like comic book superheroes for the East.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Dark Pascual at 10:01AM, Jan. 21, 2009
(online)
1.- Yes, I love them

2.- I enjoy the over the top and unrealistic action. Is fun to just sit down with a huge bag of fries, slim jims and coca-cola and watch several guys tear each other apart in the most fantastic way consived by men…

3.- The plot could be non existent sometimes. But there are times you don't want to think about plot, character development, motivations, etc. You just want to watch those guys doing the most fantastic stunts ever…It depends on your mood.

4.- Speaking about Hong Kong/Chinesse cinema only, I liked 36th Chamber of Shaolin, the Jackie Chan's Super Cop Series, Drunken Master, Clan of White Lotus. More recently, I reaally loved Hero, Fearless, House of Flying Daggers and Warlords.

In the other hand, I always hated the Godfrey Ho's “ninja” movies, even if they have a comedic value…

5.- If it is well done, I really enjoy it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
SpANG at 10:25AM, Jan. 21, 2009
(online)
supermathsbeaver
Even if you don't I'd really like to know what you think of them as I'm making my own and it's hard to make it awesome if you don't know what people like.

2.Why do you think that?

It's just the five questions since I can't think of anymore. But feel free to ellaborate- all comments much appreciated.
1. Not really. I can take them or leave them.

2. I like a deeper story than what is usually provided in this genre. Not a big fan of unrealistic action, bogus sound effects, and uninspired camera angles. I also don't like English over-dubs. I'd rather subtitles. I have very few exceptions to this.

3. I think I just answered that.

4. Does KUNG POW: ENTER THE FIST count? If not, back against the wall, I'd have to go old school and choose FIVE DEADLY VENOMS. I loved the story. The KILL BILL movies and THE MATRIX (1) were great (again, good writing), not sure if they count as pure “kung fu cinema” though. I liked CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON; though I ruined it on a friend of mine because I told him it was just Disney's “Mulan” with more blood. heh heh.

5. Somewhat like, sometimes. See above.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 10:59AM, Jan. 21, 2009
(online)
I hate to give a definitive answer that would imply that I like all Kung Fu movies, because I don't. But since there are some that I do like, I'll say yes.

2.Why do you think that?
Their action can be wild and fun, but I think kung-fu should serve as an additional to an already-good story.

I hate the fact that the fights in many kung fu movies look way too rehearsed. For instance, in many fights in Crouching Tiger, or the fight between Neo and the Oracle's guardian (in Matrix Reloaded), the fighters are often moving to block a punch that hasn't even begun yet.

Favorite: Kung Fu Hustle
Least Favorite: Hero

I prefer they be mixed with other genres, provided the kung fu fights fit in the genre and don't stick out severely. Kung Fu movies that don't have some sort of unique take are often just flimsy pretenses set up to make people fight each other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
johlin at 6:13AM, Jan. 22, 2009
(online)
I do, but I'm sort of picky about them. I tend to stay away from overly produced and dramatic movies (such as Hero and Curse of the Golden Flower ) I guess I like the realistic (to a certain point) and brutal ones.

2.Why do you think that?
I think it's because, while the imagery is really nice to look at, it takes it to a sort of different genre.

The fight scenes, of course, are the core of these movies. I guess the actual storylines are the weakest point. There are ones where it feels like the protagonist just needs to get through sub-bosses and main bosses (Legend of the Drunken Master) or where the story is just so convoluted and confusing (House of Flying Daggers).

My favorite has to be Fist of Legend starring Jet Li, just because of the final fight scene against Supreme Killer General Fujita (who can resist that name?). Second has to be Jackie Chan's second Drunken Master, especially with the kicking guy at the end.

Least would have to be…Seven Swords. It's…gross.

I did enjoy the kung-fu/western hybrid Shanghai Noon, and if Rumble in the Bronx counts as a hybrid, then I enjoyed that too. Otherwise, not so much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
kingofsnake at 10:16AM, Jan. 22, 2009
(online)
johlin
…and Curse of the Golden Flower )
It was bad.

johlin
My favorite has to be Fist of Legend starring Jet Li

Yes, don't mess with Jet Li… if he's wearing a belt.

johlin
Least would have to be…Seven Swords. It's…gross.
WORST. REMAKE. EVER
TheMidge28 at 6:26PM, Jan. 22, 2009
(online)
Yes, I enjoy them a great deal.

2.Why do you like them? and 3.Is there anything you especially enjoy or hate about them?

From a young age growing up watching Kung Fu Theatre on Saturday afternoons I enjoyed the varied styles and characters from movies like The Five Deadly Venoms and The Kid with The Golden Arm. The flying stunts and wacky dub overs never bothered me even though funny as I'm older watching them now.

I thought so much of Kung Fu movies that I made my own hillbilly set of Nun-chucks with pieces of broom stick and flower pot hanging chains. And also there was the time I thought I was bad ass after watchinh this one flick where this guy was wicked with a bo stick… So I went to the the garage and grabbed the broom stick from the push broom we had and started flipping it around like a spaz even though in my mind I thought I was master. I thought so much so that I went to my neighbor to show my super bo staffing excellence and leaving after having my ass handed to me by my neighbor's cousin who actually was trained with a bo staff and thought it was funny to kick my ass with the broom stick I brought with me, all the time acting he was impressed with my “truly adept skill”.

But I think what I liked best was it was the essence of one man with skill showing his worth against all odds to show his mettle. That strikes me at the core especially in this day and age when skill truly is under-rated and its more about who you know to get where you want.

Some of the newer movies integrating some spectacular effects and stunts are amazing in comparison to the ones when I was younger. Especially flicks like Storm Riders and Xu Warriors with these crazy character and over the top special powers like those of super heroes and mutants of American comics.

But the ones from the producers of Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon have phenomenal with a well written story, packed with amazing fight scenes and stunts and eye candy special effects all with a well designed period piece backdrop.

Favorite Kung Fu movie has to be Fist of Legend with Jet Li
Least favorite, Police Story with Jackie Chan

I don't mind the mixing of genres. I think it makes the story fresher and pulls others who may normally turned off by Kung Fu per se…

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
mlai at 6:37PM, Jan. 22, 2009
(online)
Fist of Legend
King of Assassins
Jet Li's best movies.

Bloodsport
Van Damme's best movie.

(I just felt like saying that.)

CharleyHorse at 8:59PM, Jan. 22, 2009
(offline)
I used to like kung fu movies and I used to train in martial arts. I hardly ever train anymore, however, and I almost never watch kung-fu movies.

What I liked about them were the cool moves that totally controlled a human body. The punches and kicks did not impress me as much as the holds and the take downs.

My problem with kung fu movies is that none of it seems all that special to me anymore and I think that's because it's become nearly impossible to separate the possible from Hollywood magic. Also, let's face it, most of the acting is bad most of the time.

My favorites? Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, of course; and Samo Hung and Jet Li. I particularly enjoyed the comedy team up movies with Jackie and Samo as cheesy as they were. I enjoy comedy interspaced with the fighting.

I know I'm not answering in the order you asked and am probably leaving a great deal unanswered. But it's late at night for me and that's my excuse :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
kingofsnake at 8:16AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
TheMidge28
Least favorite, Police Story with Jackie Chan

Why? I love that movie. What don't you like about it, out of curiosity?

mlai
Fist of Legend
King of Assassins
Jet Li's best movies.
I haven't seen King of Assassins… unless I know it by a different title.
What about The TaiChi Master/Twin Warriors, or Once Upon in China?
Sea_Cow at 8:13PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Oh, most definitely.

2.Why do you think that?
The Kung Fu movie is undeniably campy fun, and all the stunts are enjoyable to watch. Plus, very often they can be unpredictable.

Like I said, the campy fun and the action. I especially enjoy them if you can somehow fit a not-entirely-contrived-or-clicheed plot into it. That always helps.

No. There are too many to choose.

Sukiyaki Western: Django was beyond awesome, I think that Kung Fu movies are best if mixed with either Westerns, for the pure strangeness of it, or crime dramas.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
MrBlubBlub at 6:00PM, Jan. 24, 2009
(offline)
No.

2.Why do you think that?
They have no fucking point and half of them don't even have a relevant plot or a plot to begin with.

I hate everything about them.

I hate kung-fu movies so why the fuck would I have a favorite or least favorite? They're all my least favorite!!! Screw this, I'm getting a beer…

Screw you! I don't need a signature! Oh wait…
since im here, check out my comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
mlai at 4:45AM, Jan. 25, 2009
(online)
What I liked about them were the cool moves that totally controlled a human body. The punches and kicks did not impress me as much as the holds and the take downs.

Normal punches and kicks, sure. But what about those intertwining and interlocking punches and kicks in old kung fu movies such as those with Jackie Chan? Since you say you trained, you should be able to tell what they're doing. Laymen just see 2 guys throwing fancy punches at each other at close range, and pausing every 1/2 second for whatever reason. You should be able to see that they're endlessly trapping/diverting/twisting each other with hand/wrist/forearm/elbow/shoulder/etc.

My problem with kung fu movies is that none of it seems all that special to me anymore and I think that's because it's become nearly impossible to separate the possible from Hollywood magic.
The kind of choreography I'm talking about above cannot be duplicated by any amount of FX, because Industrial Light & Magic ppl do not know kung fu.

I haven't seen King of Assassins… unless I know it by a different title.
What about The TaiChi Master/Twin Warriors, or Once Upon in China?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163818/
LOL, King of Assassins is the literal title and the more exciting title, but instead they renamed it “Contract Killer” for USA…

There was an awesome Chinese TV series called Tai Chi Master. Awesome awesome awesome tai chi. I want this guy in VF6, lol.
http://www.asianmv.com/jvvumgqg.html

Aurora Borealis at 8:24PM, Jan. 25, 2009
(online)

Sure.

2.Why do you think that?

Cause they're fun. Whether it's the more realistic type with more down-to-earth techniques that actually do exist or the really crazy ones with people running on water and even shooting projectiles from their hands while hovering above the battlefield… they're all fun :D

Hate: dubbing. ESPECIALLY if it's done by Wu Tang, ugh. Way to ruin a movie.
Enjoy: action, all the cheesy ways they find to lead the story from one fight to another (kinda like superhero comics, haha), crazy stunts etc.

Hmm, that's a tough one. Let me see *goes to rummage through his collection and internet* Ok, after refreshing my memory… I found three that I love :D

Iron Monkey (the 90s, not the 70s one)
Wing Chun (with Michelle Yeoh)
and Swordsman II (with Jet Li… which technically doesn't have much kungfu in it, rather a ton of acrobatics, sucking out energy from the enemies and using threaded needles as deadly weapons).

There was more, but I can't remember many titles as I saw many of them when I was a kid. For example there was one that I don't know the title of. The idea was that a prophecy said that seven brothers (and their father) will go to war and five will return… the thing is that the prophecy meant that the fifth brother will return (although he won't be the only survivor) and the movie basically starts with the prophecy and then a fight scene where most of the brothers are killed… (if anyone knows the title please tell, I'm suspecting it was one of Shaw Brothers movies as some vhs distributor brought a whole bunch of their stuff in 1990-1992 over here.

As for the bad ones? I can't say I remember. There was one or two that seemed pointless but I erased their titles from my memory.

Sure, can be fun. I like when they add fantasy elements to the mix while keeping the overall tone. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
kingofsnake at 6:18AM, Jan. 26, 2009
(online)
mlai
There was an awesome Chinese TV series called Tai Chi Master. Awesome awesome awesome tai chi. I want this guy in VF6, lol.
http://www.asianmv.com/jvvumgqg.html

Thats a good site! I've been looking for the Chinese TV series starring Yuen Biau and Sammo Hung where they reprise their roles from Prodigal Son since I heard of it. I'm going to look for it on that site now!
NickGuy at 12:08PM, Jan. 26, 2009
(online)
Im really looking forward to Ninja Assassins

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
confusedsoul at 12:55PM, Feb. 1, 2009
(online)
MrBlubBlub
No.

2.Why do you think that?
They have no fucking point and half of them don't even have a relevant plot or a plot to begin with.

I hate everything about them.

I hate kung-fu movies so why the fuck would I have a favorite or least favorite? They're all my least favorite!!! Screw this, I'm getting a beer…

6. Is Mr Blub blub an unhelpful dick?

Yes. Yes indeed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
confusedsoul at 1:00PM, Feb. 1, 2009
(online)
supermathsbeaver

2.Why do you think that?

1) Most of them, although I'm not hardcore.

2) Some of them are funny, others have amazing stunt work and amazingly well choreographed fight scenes. Others are just laughably bad.

3) I like inventive fight sequences, like the funeral bell in Kung Fu Hustle or Jackie Chan turning anything into a weapon. I hate seriously poe faced ones, which take themselves far too seriously. I'll watch the bigger, more elaborate pieces like Hero but I'll never enjoy them as much as the amusing ones.

4) Favourite? Kung Fu Hustle. Least Favourite…can't say I've seen one that's irked me enough to hate it.

5) Fine and dandy, seeing as I know what this questionnaires about. Go for it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved