Interviews

QWTD: amanda interviews lucky7s76!
lucky7s76 at 6:35AM, April 24, 2008
(offline)
Username: lucky7s76
Comics: Fox Den, National Dex

How long have you been working on Fox Den? How did you get started?

I've been working on Fox Den for a little over two years now. It started out back in January of 2006 as an excuse for me to have a website. I was taking a Web Design class back then and to further better my skills, I started posting some old drawings I made… which eventually led to me making comics. I was never really serious about it until I found some online art communities and learned a thing or two.

Where did your characters come from? What inspired their personalities? Which one do you relate to the most?

My characters came from playing WAY too many video games and watching WAY too many cartoons when I was a little kid. Seeing all the personalities and styles in these games and shows made me want to make my own… so I played around with it for a little while, then BAM! It stuck and slowly evolved into what it is today.

The personalities of the characters are mostly influenced by my own personality. They all sort of represent a different part of me. The hard-working guy, the crazy guy, the pessimist… my feminine side. lol! Though I have based one or two of the characters on my friends and family.

You've used a lot of mediums to create this comic. Are you planning to keep experimenting, or have you found what works best for you?

In terms of medium, no. Photoshop works just fine for me! :) But in terms of the characters, yes. I always change a thing or two between pages just to see if I like it.

There are a lot of missing pages when you compare your DD archive to your actual website's archive. Why did you decide not to upload all the comics?

Well, there are a couple of reasons for that… one being that a lot of them (mostly in the middle) are ENORMOUS in width and height, and I don't have the original documents to properly resize them. :( Second is personal preference. I have almost one hundred comics total, and I think large archives oftentimes deter new readers.

Many of your pages find the characters smack in the middle of an adventure, but you've become more story-oriented as of late. What was the reason for the change, and do you intend to continue with story arcs versus gag-a-day strips?

I've come to like story arcs more than just random jokes about whatever comes to mind. I've developed a different sense of humor than the one I originally started with, and I find it a lot easier to work with. Before the story arcs I found it difficult to come up with something and get it done before an update day rolled by.

You're currently working on two projects: Fox Den and National Dex. Do you ever have scheduling issues or trouble getting both these comics update? How do you juggle that? Are you more dedicated to one above the other?

Oh yes. The comics update four days apart, but I have a lot of trouble getting them done in time. I spend a lot of time making the comics look the way I want them to, and I get distracted by other things real easily. I usually draw the comic a couple of days in advance then scan and edit it so that I can submit it to go live the day it should update. I don't like to think that I'm more dedicated to either, but I have a feeling that I focus a bit more on National Dex since it's telling a story instead of cracking jokes.

I love the extras you put into the backgrounds of some pages. It's clear you put effort into the artwork. How long does it take to create one page, and what is your process?

Thanks! :) The length of the process depends on which comic I'm working on. Usually, though, it takes around 12 hours or so to completely finish a comic.

I start out by writing the comic, then I take this writing and sketch a really quick storyboard keeping in mind what I had written. Once the storyboard is finished, I draw in full detail the characters (and just the characters) then I scan it once I finish. From here I edit the drawings in Photoshop and digitally add the backgrounds. I sign and date it, and it's done! :)

I've seen many comics with animals as main characters get classified as “furry,” and they get a lot of flack. Have you been in the middle of this mess, and do you care to speak to it?

I've never been the target of a “furry-induced rage” before, but I've seen it in a lot of places. I don't even consider myself a furry, though technically I have a furry comic. I understand the reason why people don't like the “fandom,” I guess it's called, and I don't like what some furry artists have done to us. I draw my characters because it was inspired by what I grew up with, not to satisfy some weird fetish. :/

What do you see in Fox Den and National Dex's future?

Fox Den… I see a LOT I'd hope to do with it. I'm not sure what direction I want to take right now, but I hope something really good comes of it.

National Dex… I see it getting artistically better and looking more like it's telling a story rather than setting up a joke with every page. I also plan to make it live up to its slogan. :)

Do you have any plans for future comics?

Yes, yes, yes. I've got a couple more comics I want to introduce, but I don't have enough time in my week to update them regularly alongside Fox Den and National Dex. But if I ever figure out a new update schedule, I've planned to make an autobiographical comic. I've had a troubled life… I figured I'd share it with everyone! :) I also have another story I'm writing that will feature the cast of Fox Den - it will take place around seven or eight years BEFORE the current events of FD.

It'll be a while before any of these make it out there… I have a lot to juggle between my personal life and comics. :/

So, I've gotta ask. What's your favorite Pokemon?

- Bulbasaur. For its name alone.

Want to rattle off a few of your favorite comics?

- I don't read many webcomics… but to name a few of my favorite DD comics:

A Roll of the Dice
Allan
2's a Company
The Author
Frank and Vinny
Pinkerton

Any closing statements?

- Go Mariners!
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
crocty at 7:29AM, April 24, 2008
(offline)
Nice!
I guess I'll have to check your real site if you're not updating all your comics on DD. *rolls eyes*
lucky7s76
Frank and Vinny
:O
<3
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
amanda at 8:09AM, April 24, 2008
(online)
I enjoyed your answers ^.^
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
n_y_japlander at 8:31AM, April 24, 2008
(offline)
I must admit, I have never been to your comic before this interview
(_ _) *bows very deep…. This had me wanting to go and see it!!!! well done!

(OO) 12 hours to do an average comic!!!!! Hats off to you sir!
Keep up the great work!!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
lba at 10:03AM, April 24, 2008
(online)
An excellent interview. My hat's off to amanda for it.

It's nice to know there's other people out there with other projects they want to start that life gets in the way of. :) Now if only we could just do something about getting rid of this “life” thing…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Steely Gaze at 10:54AM, April 24, 2008
(offline)
Wow, solid interview! You certainly put a lot of work into your pages, Lucky. And Amanda, props for delivering an insightful, smart line of questioning.

Now it makes me wish that you had the time to do more comics; I'd love to see a comic set 7 or 8 years before our current Fox Den goodness. Maybe between you, me, and Iba, we can finally be done with this “real life” silliness once and for all!

Also,

Lucky7s76
…A Roll of the Dice…

Glee! 8D
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
AQua_ng at 11:51AM, April 24, 2008
(offline)
Cameron likes Bulbasaur.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
lucky7s76 at 6:39AM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
Heh… thanks guys! :) And thanks to Amanda for the questions; some of them really had me thinking!

*sigh* If only “life” were something you could just toss aside for a while.
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon