Interviews

QWTD: patrickdevine interviews Steely Gaze!
lucky7s76 at 6:52AM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
Username: Steely Gaze
Comic: A Roll of the Dice

So, A Roll of the Dice is, in a very generic sense, a comic about fantasy role-playing games. What made you decide to do a comic about that?

To be honest, it was one of the few things I felt most comfortable with. I'd considered a lot of other options, but though role-playing comics are out there in swarms, I felt I could try and do something a little different. At least, that's been my goal, by making it from an outsider's viewpoint (Jared's) and trying to ease away from the more obscure jokes. I still fail now and again and include a reference that I later regret, but overall I'm pleased with my progress.

How did you come up with the idea of a guy that tries to learn how to play an RPG to impress a girl?

I stole it. No, no, just kidding! Sort of. I'm a big fan of the webcomic No Pink Ponies and the idea there was a girl trying to impress a guy, only she was a total nerd and he, well, wasn't quite. I thought about reversing the role and making the non-nerdy half try to impress the nerd out of the two. It's a bit familiar for a lot of people (hopeless loser, unattainable goal) but I thought the role-reversal might be fun to write about, and that's proved to be the case so far.

Many of the characters seem like they might be based off real people, are they?

Not really. Each character is entirely original, but they all have touches of my own personality. I mean, to give any creation life you have to give it something to start with, right? So a small piece of me is in each of my characters, and from that they quickly took on a life of their own. I could never have imagined the paths these guys have taken when I first started writing AROTD.

Do you play tabletop or LARP games?

You know what? I don't, not really. I enjoy them, but trying to get everyone together, make them sit down more than ten minutes without killing each other, and then having one of them bail thus ruining the game just put me off of tabletop gaming. And don't get me started about LARPing! I like both of them, but they really aren't who I am. I guess this means I fail my nerd test, right?

How did you meet Chameleon Kid and how did you guys start making comics together?

I've literally known CK all my life, which isn't hard to believe considering she's my sister. I've never been one for drawing; writing yes, but drawing no, and she was just the opposite. She'd draw all sorts of things, trying to constantly better herself, and me I'd write. So when she started doing John Clyde the Nature Guide here on Drunk Duck, I thought it was great, and soon she convinced me to write a comic for her to draw as well. Here the story gets muddled (my version is the truth, honest) but basically I came up with the basics of A Roll of the Dice, she stated drawing them, and I began coloring them. The rest is (fairly recent) history.

As half of a writer/artist team do you ever get involved in creative disputes?

I have never once argued with my artist. Sounds crazy, I know, but she seems to know what would look right better than I do. All I really have to do, besides the scene outline, is script up the dialog. She reads it, draws it, and that's final. I don't look over her work beforehand, I don't try to press her into doing something if she feels it'd work better another way. And she doesn't mess with my scripts, so it's been a mutually beneficial partnership so far!

As a writer are there any other writers that you admire?

I could go on about writers I admire, but for a change I'm going to say that I honestly admire the little guys. The people who try their best and never quite make it as high as they should. I also admire ghost writers and the like, because they never get the credit that's due them. Anyone who puts his story down in words, or in comic form, earns my respect and admiration, because we always have need of good storytellers.

Will Jared ever get properly geekified?

Ha, ha! That's a good question. I doubt it, because he doesn't really care enough about it to let it stick. He's only using role-playing as a means to an end. I think once Toni sees through this, his little act is going to be over. But one way or the other, he's a changed man now.

Any other webcomics out there that you like in particular?

Oh yes! Plenty of them. The problem here is that if I list some of them, I'm bound to miss someone's I love and will remember it later and kick myself for not mentioning it. I don't read anything I don't like, so here on Drunk Duck it's easy to find my favorites (hint, every single comic I recommend). Off-site, well again, too many to count. (Actually, no, I just counted and the total of off-site webcomics I read comes to 13.)

Tell us a bit more about yourself, what's your day job? Where did you grow up? Are you in a relationship? What's your favorite color?

Let's see if I can't keep this short. I was born in the small state of Vermont, where I exist to this day. I'm a college-bound whippersnapper whose idea of a perfect world would be a place where I could just sleep half the day and write the other half. I'm currently single (hint, hint, ladies) and do not have a favorite color. As for a day job, well, does college-bound bum count? That's what I'm putting on my resume anyway. I'm either the nicest guy you've ever met, or the biggest pain in the backside you've ever encountered. Also, I believe I have an addiction to webcomics. This site has not helped that much.

Any future projects on the horizon?

Well in my immediate future I'm finishing up a couple short stories, but long-term, I've got a novel I'd love to write. I've also got a couple ideas for two spin-off comics of A Roll of the Dice. Nothing major so far! But then, you never know when an idea will strike me.

Any closing statements?

Is this where I'm supposed to say something witty? Uh, okay, um, damn, I got nothing. Thanks for the great interview
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
crocty at 10:00AM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
lucky7s76
How did you meet Chameleon Kid and how did you guys start making comics together?
Heh…
I thought that was pretty humorous. :)

As usual, great interview.
=D

Also, Skool, make Lucky interviews mod now. He's obviously putting a lot in this project, and when ever he posts these you sticky and highlight them.

He could save you a job.
:D
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
amanda at 10:46AM, April 25, 2008
(online)
I didn't know CK was your sister! What fun! My brother and I don't fight either, but the only joint effort we've been involved in was in a 42 league.
A fun interview - enlightening and interesting. Hurray for finding out more about one of my favorite storytellers!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
Steely Gaze at 1:23PM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
I want to thank Patrick once again for giving me a great interview. I can see now how horrible some of my answers look (am I really so boring that I couldn't have spiced them up a little?) but his questions were smart and really made me think.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
lba at 2:53PM, April 25, 2008
(online)
I second lucky getting mod status for his work here.

LARPing is probably one of the goofiest things on earth to watch. I could never pay attention long enough to do any role playing game though.

It's awesome you get along well enough with your sister to work together. That's a pretty rare deal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
n_y_japlander at 4:30PM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
(^U^) Fun interview…. you two don't fight while making comics?!?!?!?! If I worked with my sister, on any project, one of us would wind up hurt, or worse!!

I 3rd the mod….

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
Steely Gaze at 4:36PM, April 25, 2008
(offline)
n_y_japlander
…you two don't fight while making comics?!?!?!?!…

Nope. We fight constantly about everything else, but not comics. I figure the reason for that is because I can't draw well enough to save my life, so I have nothing to complain about. You don't bite the hand that feeds ya, if you get my drift. ;)

Also, I can't believe I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I too agree with the idea of Lucky going for mod-ship of this sub-forum. It wouldn't add much to his workload, now would it? :)

spiritmonkey at 12:20AM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
Nice interview

And Lucky, you should definitely go for modship
Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
patrickdevine at 7:22PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Steely Gaze
I want to thank Patrick once again for giving me a great interview. I can see now how horrible some of my answers look (am I really so boring that I couldn't have spiced them up a little?) but his questions were smart and really made me think.
Thank you it was a lot of fun!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
lucky7s76 at 8:02PM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
I was actually very surprised to learn that CK was your sister! And you don't bicker about the comic… I work by myself and I have trouble with that! :)

And same thing for me in terms of the tabletop games… I've never played any, but I'm sure it's hard to keep everyone in check.

As a side note, if the opportunity for me to become a mod were to arise, I'd gladly and humbly accept! :3
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
antcomics at 9:04AM, April 28, 2008
(online)
Great interview, SG. You're always so articulate. =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Steely Gaze at 10:49AM, April 28, 2008
(offline)
antcomics
Great interview, SG. You're always so articulate. =)

Articulate? You must mean someone else. Someone with my initials obviously. I shall have to find this person and give them what-for! We can't have them making me sound “articulate”, now can we? :P

antcomics at 9:04PM, April 28, 2008
(online)
Man I thought maybe I used that word in the wrong context for a second there. But I looked in the thesaurus and no, I didn't. So…shut it !
I meant what I said and no, it wasn't Soggy Gums that I was talking to…or Soupy Goop. Or…uh…yeah…you et the point =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon