Interviews

QWWD: spiritmonkey interviews n_y_japlander
skoolmunkee at 6:27AM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
1. Hello, welcome to the interview, I trust you are well?

Yes, I'm ok. I mean I can't complain, and if I did, this is not the proper place or time to do such!

2. That's nice, unless of course it isn't nice - in which case, oh dear, poor you… Anywho - to the questions!
What first made you want to start a web comic?

I was not looking to go “online” at first, actually. I was looking into Japanese publications to run “Raw Fish?”, and when I kept running into dead ends, I decided to look into the world of online comics.

3. Is the way Melvin or any of your characters look and act based on actual people you know? Which ones? (If any)

Yes… All of my characters are based on real people; some times one character might be based on several real live people. Melvin is actually my id, he has my good points and a few of my bad ones (just not as many). I really can not get in to what people are the basis of my characters, as many of those people are reading this…

4. What process do you go through when making a typical comic and what equipment do you use?

This might be a long answer… So hold on tight!
First, I write out an idea, usually just a few words, nothing long. Then I will outline the idea with captions and dialog. Then story board it if the outline is dialog heavy. Next I draw…
I started drawing 100% digitally about 6 months ago, however, I still sometimes pencil my comics first on paper, then scan to the computer. When I do not pencil on paper I fire up the computer, turn on openCanvas, and go to town! I usually draw the comic 4-5 times bigger than the finished comic. After the comic is drawn I save it as a png file, then open it in RealDraw Pro, where I ad the words and resize the comic.

5. How long does it take you to plan out and write each page for your comic?

Not long. Most of the comic pages take longer to think of and outline, than the actual drawing of them. Unless I draw someone else's characters, then it takes forever as I like to honor the artists by using their style.

6. Do you have any favourite characters in your comics and if so which ones and why?

Well of course Melvin!!! And quite recently Baka Otaku. Because they are fun to draw.

7. How long have you been living in Japan and have you lived in many different places or just stayed put?

The USAF brought me to Japan October 16 1996, so I'm on my 12th year here. I was in the USAF for 10 years; from 1989-1999. while in the AF, I've been all over this planet of ours.

8. And after living there all that time do you still see things that surprise you? Or have you become desensitised to all the giant lizards, talking animals, trees with faces and RPG characters shopping in downtown Tokyo?

No, the giant creature fights in the city does not bother me as much as it used to… I see things here every day that surprise me still! That's why “Raw Fish?” is going strong.

9. In your comic, Melvin is often referred to as a Gaijin by the author or other characters. Does this mean an American, a Westerner or just someone non-Japanese?

Gaijin means foreigner.

10. Do the ideas for your comics mostly come from real life experiences?

Yes… I hope that surprises some of you!

11. Can you speak and/or read any Japanese at all?

I speak “survival” Japanese. I can understand a lot, but speak less. Reading and writing; fat chance there!

12. Say something Japanese! Go on!

*says something in Japanese

13. Do you drive your own personal mecha to work in the mornings?

I used to… mine's in the shop

14. What is it you work as and do you ever find your limited vocabulary in Japanese a hindrance?

I am a coordinator at an English school, they want the lessons in English, limited Japanese skills are a plus. I also have my own graphic design business, in which Japanese is not needed.

15. What are your favourite comics here on Drunkduck (or anywhere on the internet)?

I only read comics here on Drunk Duck (have no time to read more) for which comics.. check my profile, I know I will leave out some if I were to type them.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
crocty at 8:21AM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
As NYJ would say; (^O^) Great!

:)

Also, I speak Japanese!
Well, when I say that, I mean I can understand Japanese in the sense that I can understand it if it has subtitles.
:D
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
lba at 10:33AM, April 26, 2008
(online)
kono no interview wa totemo sugoi desu nee.

Yeah, I love Japan myself. I probably only speak a little more than NYJ myself, though. XD But I like his comic a lot. At least the part I've managed to read by now. I hate having to stop reading through his archive whenever I start it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Steely Gaze at 6:36AM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
Hey, hey, great interview! NYJ, you have to be used to some of it by now; you are only allowed to be a stranger in a strange land for the first two years of living in a new country. ;)
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
n_y_japlander at 6:38AM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
After reading this…. I thought I spent more time answering the questions… I'm not one for long drawn out babble, but you guys and spiritmonkey do deserve more!!!

Sorry!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
spiritmonkey at 12:30PM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
Quality not quantity :) ;)
Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
lucky7s76 at 8:08PM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
n_y_japlander
…you guys and spiritmonkey do deserve more!!!

Sorry!

I wouldn't apologize… it was a really interesting interview despite its length!
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
amanda at 7:36AM, April 28, 2008
(online)
As they say, “Brevity is the soul of wit.” Very interesting - I wouldn't have guessed everything was a personal experience!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
antcomics at 8:59AM, April 28, 2008
(online)
FANTastic interview, Corey! I love reading about how people get their ideas and stuff. Way to go!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
TheMidge28 at 9:09AM, April 28, 2008
(online)
rOCK ON cOREY!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Bocaj at 10:46AM, May 1, 2008
(online)
Great interview.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon