Random Discussion

Randomness or the Digimons win
Sketa at 4:03AM, Dec. 6, 2007
(offline)
well no forum is complete without a place for mental cases to express their most insane desires or needs, actually i'm surprised no one made a Random topic already, basically the rules are that this thread is for dumping anything you feel like saying, but is not grand enough for it's own topic, anything can be said (unless it goes against forum rules, in which case we'll shun you SHUUUUUUUN)

I'll start shall I?
I swallowed a bug.. i think it was a huge bug… it was icky
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
Inkmonkey at 3:39PM, Dec. 6, 2007
(online)
I feel like the term “random” is thrown around too haphazardly these days. Random essentially means that something occurs without any prior indication or ultimate goal. This makes Randomness ultimately something impossible to achieve purposely. If one's intent is to be random, then the intent itself negates the randomness. It makes being random a goal, whereas to be truly random it must simply occur.

I think a big part of the overuse of random is the fact that, often, random occurences are quite humorous. Common “random” events are usually loud outbursts or bizarre actions that, if not truly random in the strictest sense of the word, are at least close enough to be considered random by everyone else. Still, things like suicide, murder, and other terrible events can occur at “random.” Not that I want to discourage people using the word to describe random events if they are truly so, I suppose I'm just tired of people using the word “random” as if it was synonymous with “funny”.

Oh, and butterflies taste with their feet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
ozoneocean at 4:03PM, Dec. 6, 2007
(online)
I appreciate the sentiment and this is the right forum for it :)

-Ink is right about “Random” though. We need a Find and Replace function to switch almost all instances of “random” with “stupid” or “pointless” lol!

I'd almost be willing to pay someone to develop such a program. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Sketa at 4:23PM, Dec. 6, 2007
(offline)
very well then, we shall be… Predictably stupid instead then, still it's a nice way to blow off some steam if one has it, being random is quite easy actually if you have hat i prefer to call a scatter brain, basically being so… mindlessly inconsistent thought wise that saying the first thing that comes to mind comes naturally, which i do believe it does to many a comic artist/writer, especially of the comic strip variety

for instance my afore mentioned “i swallowed a bug” comment fits in a comic strip, as a comic relief to an awkward moment, which it most likely will be used for when next i need filler
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved