Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, Moan and Rave - 2010 edition
Aurora Borealis at 5:01AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
So I somehow ended up on Paul Pope's twitter, where I found this…

Someone
The script is like the musical score. The pencils, inks, erasers are the instruments. The comics are pure jazz. Some solos go on for awhile.

Beautiful way to put it.

Also, I notice it more and more, the connection between comics and music. They're both mediums operating within only one sense (sound vs sight) and both are highly structurized (beats and tempo signatures vs pageturns and page layouts as visual beats)… and so on.

- - - - - - - - -

I'm starting to look into ways of combining the old with the new…

The old: absolute joy of drawing things that I felt as a kid when I filled sketchbook after sketchbook with improvised comics (all of which were utter crap but anyway).
The new: digital inking and lettering allowing me to add a layer of sheen and qualiy to my art, making it much better (it's hard to call it simply inking as it's more of a process of redrawing the image entirely).

The thought:
Buy a nice, thick notebook that has enough pages and just draw the comics in there, page by page, using pencils, pens, whatever, just plow through the art laying down the necessary bits. Basically thumbnail/layout in there.
Then scan it and feed through the digital inking stage, doing the finishes and all. I'll have to test it on a short story soon (after the oneshot which for some reason I keep pushing further and further back, argh).

Now if only I had a printer to print out my scripts, that'd be perfect I think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
bravo1102 at 5:15AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(offline)
A recent email from my old First Sergeant:

Gerry Gowen
Quote from a Bound Brook Mayor–
“They don't make soldiers like that anymore, once the Armory closed
the only thing left was legend.”

Remember guys, YOU were part of that legend…..

Gowen

That is the unit that is my webname. Bravo Company, 1st Battalion 102D Armor. Now a legend. I feel special.

lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
lba at 7:22AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
You would think the Navy would be interested in potential new recruits, but apparently not. Maybe they're trying out a new recruiting process wherein they ignore your attempts to get information and talk to someone about enlistment and play hard to get, like the hot girl who turns out to be a lesbian/bisexual for the nerdy guy, at the end of the movie. Maybe if I ask them for info a 4th time, they might actually respond. Or maybe they're just trying to tell me that despite what their website and pamphlets say, they're just tossing in illustrator as a career option to make everyone feel like they could be included if they actually wanted but they never actually expected an artist to display any interest.

Everything I type, think or say seems like it's really rambling when I haven't slept a whole lot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Ozoneocean at 7:40AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
They should make you captain of an aircraft carrier. Bravo can command a tank company that drives around the deck and Seventy can be in charge of the aeroplanes. :)

—————-
This is one of the quietest days of the week on the forums at DD. Still, it's good to see you guys here! ^___^
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
seventy2 at 8:22AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
it's a federal holiday!
——

do you know how much trouble you get in when you're in charge of stuff? i'll turn down the position thank you very much.

@Lba, you should kick down one of the doors and discuss it face to face. the only recruiters i've ever seen call, are marine recruiters.
———

man. that was a beautiful workout yesterday…i think i'll take it slow, and just do a constant 3 miles today, and a nice relaxing 1k swim. i bet the pool is warm. i can imagine it now….jumping in, breaking the surface, only to find the 60* water 2 inches below the surface….

dangit.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
EmilyTheStrange at 9:13AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
I can't walk anymore because of my foot and I'm terrified of gaining a lot of weight. : | I tried walking around the supermarket saturday night and was in excruciating pain all day yesterday. I feel trapped, I can do all the sit ups and weights that I want, but I have no cardio thus no real way to burn calories.

So, brb, off to mourn my former health.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Ozoneocean at 9:32AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
EmilyTheStrange
I can't walk anymore because of my foot and I'm terrified of gaining a lot of weight.
Swimming?
seventy2 at 9:44AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
swimming, rowing, bicycling, more situps, lunges, push ups, pull ups, lifting….it all burns calories.

speaking of which…it's gym time.
facara
EmilyTheStrange at 9:57AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
The issue is that I can't put any weight on my foot whatsoever. Biking, etc is too much for it. >>; The tendons on one side of my left foot are snapped or something… all I know is that its very painful and advil doesn't help. : (
I'd swim if it weren't January. XD I have a pool but it's outdoor… same with all the public pools around here.

I'm up to 300 sit ups a day and they do nothinggggg~

At this point I'm just considering replacing all my meals with slimfast and grilled chicken. >>;
Ozoneocean at 11:07AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
It's 10 past 3 in the morning here and still bloody hot! :(
You could swim if you were here…

I feel like I'm in a world sized oven T_T
seventy2 at 11:30AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
do pushups, do pull ups. sit ups alone won't do anything. nothing alone does anything.
and if you suddenly drop your diet, your more likely to get fat, because the body goes into survival mode, converting most food to fat, to store for later….because who knows when a good meal will come along?

i forgot to mention that the jerks closed the pool today. jerks. oh well, i'll just go in the morning.

oh, and leet, you need your food pyramid! the old school one, not the new 6 slices one.
facara
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:54AM, Jan. 18, 2010
(offline)
Are pretzels that bad for you? That's pretty much all I've eaten today.

I submitted my narration for the mafia game's Game Master competition. Please read and vote for me!!! :). It deals with vampires. Not shiny ones.

Also I started a new comic and it's got only one comment. :(. A double update today, please read!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
EmilyTheStrange at 12:10PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
seventy2
do pushups, do pull ups. sit ups alone won't do anything. nothing alone does anything.
and if you suddenly drop your diet, your more likely to get fat, because the body goes into survival mode, converting most food to fat, to store for later….because who knows when a good meal will come along?
You act as if I don't already know this. ; P
Former dancer/cheerleader who used to use the elliptical trainer 1-2 hours a day and practice yoga here. Also grew up surrounded by vegans, I know about crash dieting, the benefits of different foods, etc… The only reason I post any of this is because of how desperate I am because I know I am missing vital parts of my formally healthy life style and there isn't much I can do for it at this point. I have to wait until my foot heels over to get my cardio back. I can't do push ups (unless it's girl push ups, but someone told me those don't do anything) because I can't balance on my toes which is also why I can't keep up with my yoga routine. >>

tl;dr BAWWWWWWWWW

And, yes 1337, too many pretzels are bad for you (sodium and fat and all of those lovely things.)
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:14PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(offline)
seventy2
oh, and leet, you need your food pyramid! the old school one, not the new 6 slices one.
…eat…healthy…?…?…

AW HELL NO!

Not really. I do try, try being the key word there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
seventy2 at 12:25PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
whoever told you girl pushups don't count were horrible horrible liars that should go rot in hell.

well maybe not rot in hell, but they do work. saying they don't is like saying walking five miles a day does nothing for you. you have less body weight to push, but it increases your strength, and then you can build up to doing regular.

as long as you continue working out in someway, you wont lose much. i had to stop running all together in october, because of a knee problem, and only gained 5 pounds, in the following 2 months. (considering how i was eating, that's impressive) when i picked back up, my fast times were my previous average times, but i'm already starting to reach what i need.

and leet, i don't eat too healthy…i don't eat a lot of vegetables, and prolly too much meat. but you gotta find a nice balance.
facara
Ozoneocean at 1:02PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
EmilyTheStrange
I can't do push ups (unless it's girl push ups…
I was thinking just that when Seventy suggested it ^___^

—————————–
5:05 AM and still no sleep. Why is it so hot? I blame Seventy… He's warming the global.
lba at 1:14PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
seventy2
@Lba, you should kick down one of the doors and discuss it face to face. the only recruiters i've ever seen call, are marine recruiters.

I already tried it, but those damn glass easy-slide doors make it ever so hard to actually kick the thing down.

I'll probably just have to make the 2 hour bus ride to the nearest Navy recruiter on the south side. I was kind of hoping to do this the easy way seeing as how I'm adverse to doing things the unnecessarily complicated way. I don't even know if I'm actually ready to sign up. More than anything, I was just hoping to sit down and talk with someone about exactly what the job entails.
seventy2 at 1:25PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
lba
I was kind of hoping to do this the easy way seeing as how I'm adverse to doing things the unnecessarily complicated way.

definatly not ready.
facara
amanda at 4:50PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
…I got laid off today. Out of left field, too. I'm so shocked that I don't know what else to do (except post on DD, apparently).
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
Lonnehart at 5:08PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
Ugh.. one of my cousins is trying to convince me that her diet will “cure” me of my diabetes problem The diet? One serving of vegetables a day. ONE! Absolutely no meat or meat products, no fruits, no nothing. Just plain cabbage, carrots, etc…

I think I'd rather die from my current diet than go that route. I like to balance the stuff I eat. Not too much meat, but lots of fish. Vegetables and fruits, though more on the vegetable side (with dressings, balsamic vinegar and cheese).

As far as that “all vegetable diet” goes, in order to keep off diabetes once it's gone, you have to maintain that diet (or so I think… I could be wrong). There's no way I'm sacrificing the quality of my life on some extreme diet…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:23PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
YAHAHAHAHAAA!

My sketchbooks are on Indyplanet :D

*makes a happy dance, whatever that may look like*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Ozoneocean at 9:45PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
amanda
…I got laid off today. Out of left field, too. I'm so shocked that I don't know what else to do (except post on DD, apparently).
That is really, really awful!
I hope you find something else soon :(
Lonnehart
Ugh.. one of my cousins is trying to convince me that her diet will “cure” me of my diabetes problem
Impossible. If it's a problem with the way your body processes sugars of handles insulin or whatever, relying on a diet alone would likely lead to death… Depending on the nature of your diabetes.
As you'd know :)
Lonnehart at 11:15PM, Jan. 18, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Impossible. If it's a problem with the way your body processes sugars of handles insulin or whatever, relying on a diet alone would likely lead to death… Depending on the nature of your diabetes.
As you'd know :)

ALMOST not quite impossible. It just takes a long time to do it and the lifestyle change is permanent. In my case, I was consuming too much sugar and not doing enough to burn it off. As a result my body is now saying “no” to the excess glucose and is getting rid of it by going through the kidneys, causing them gradual damage (the excess usually gets turned into fat, but with my diabetes type II that's not going to happen too much). Too much glucose for a long while and you'll notice the nerves in your hands and feet going numb, your eyesight fading, and worse… you can no longer control your bladder or bowels.

Luckily my medications are working along with my diet and exercise, but her extreme dieting wouldn't be healthy for me mentally as I don't have the energy or the willpower to dedicate myself to the thing.

My cousin does have a valid point as this is how she got rid of her diabetes. Took her quite a long time, but as I've said her diet and lifestyle is now permanent. If she veers off her path then her diabetes could return. However, I'd argue that she still has her diabetes. It's just so well managed that she needs no medication for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Ironscarf at 3:51AM, Jan. 19, 2010
(offline)
It is a day. Not like any other, but not really interesting in any way.
Somethings going to happen soon, I can feel it.

Hope things work out ok Amanda.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
gullas at 9:37AM, Jan. 19, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean

Wana trait it for -10°C - 7°C between days, with a regular rain?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
Ozoneocean at 9:55AM, Jan. 19, 2010
(online)
gullas
ozoneocean

Wana trait it for -10°C - 7°C between days, with a regular rain?
Yes. :(
gullas at 12:59PM, Jan. 19, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
Yes. :(
Aw, poor thing …
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
lba at 2:19PM, Jan. 19, 2010
(online)
seventy2
lba
I was kind of hoping to do this the easy way seeing as how I'm adverse to doing things the unnecessarily complicated way.

definatly not ready.

Yeah. I hope someday I can overcome my crippling need to do things right the first time. I dream of being free from the obviously deranged notion that doing things without complicating them is a good idea. Maybe someday…

In all seriousness though, I'm willing to put up with a certain level of BS given that I currently already work for a government institution of sorts. I just like to avoid beating my head against a wall until I hear squishy noises. Ah well, I've got a day off on Friday. I'll just have to go then if I can.

——

I'm so ready to be going back to classes. Finally, after a month and a half, they're starting again and I could not be more overjoyed to have something to be doing with myself.
Bocaj at 4:07PM, Jan. 19, 2010
(online)
amanda
I'm so sorry. My cousin got laid off recently too. Good luck finding a new job, maybe it'll lead to a better carrier in the long run.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
HippieVan at 4:36PM, Jan. 19, 2010
(online)
My great grandma just died. :( She was around 93, I think, so she lived a good long life.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon