Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, Moan and Rave - 2010 edition
Ozoneocean at 12:35AM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
You've never had a glass just break? It seems strange but it does happen. Many things cause it- micro vibration, general wear and tear causing unseen weaknesses… But generally it's just expansion and contraction due to temperature change. It seems really weird, but it's not.

I dunno Kyu, it IS genuinely fun and quite satisfying to see mystical causes behind stuff, so I can understand why people do it. It's cool to do! :)
But realistically that's not what's happening. There's probably no harm, in assigning supernatural causes and divining omens etc, as long as you don't get carried away like that dorksider woman T_T
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Aurora Borealis at 11:02AM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
Chernobog
Just gotta vent this.

I'm going to throat jack someone if I have another pseudo-intellectual tell me I'm spelling my name wrong and further, I'm an idiot for doing so. Because Disney and Neil Gaiman CLEARLY invented the name and it certainly wasn't from Slavic mythology in the first place. God forbid the possibility that something ever came into being before homogeneous pop culture. And you know, it's not even that they think the name is incorrect. It's more than they're entirely certainly they know the only origin.

I like to spell it Tchernobog myself (and yes, I attached this name to one of my long-developing backburner projects).

Well, Saturday was rather uneventful. I drew a couple of doodles (including a face that made me go “wow, I am learning!”), read a bunch of comics and I can happily announce that NOT having to stand for 12 hours seems to be doing good things for my feet (that, and the cream I bought).

Been trying to clean up the mess known as my room, so far only made a bigger mess out of it. I think, rather than try to do it all in one sweep, I should do it five things at a time. That is, pick up five things, relocate them to their right places OR throw htem out and go back to doing other stuff. Then, say 10-20 minutes later, pick another five things. This way I'll be making slow progress and not feel like working hard at all.
Going to try this now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Genejoke at 11:23AM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
Chernobog
Just gotta vent this.

I'm going to throat jack someone if I have another pseudo-intellectual tell me I'm spelling my name wrong and further, I'm an idiot for doing so. Because Disney and Neil Gaiman CLEARLY invented the name and it certainly wasn't from Slavic mythology in the first place. God forbid the possibility that something ever came into being before homogeneous pop culture. And you know, it's not even that they think the name is incorrect. It's more than they're entirely certainly they know the only origin.

well I googled it (therefore i am now an expert!) and by all accounts you have the correct spelling :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
ayesinback at 11:27AM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
You've never had a glass just break? It seems strange but it does happen. Many things cause it- micro vibration, general wear and tear causing unseen weaknesses… But generally it's just expansion and contraction due to temperature change. It seems really weird, but it's not.

I dunno Kyu, it IS genuinely fun and quite satisfying to see mystical causes behind stuff, so I can understand why people do it. It's cool to do! :)
But realistically that's not what's happening. There's probably no harm, in assigning supernatural causes and divining omens etc, as long as you don't get carried away like that dorksider woman T_T
I had three glasses “just break” all within about four minutes one time. It was because I had stacked some still-warm-from-the-dishwasher glasses inside some room temperature glasses.

But they didn't break on me. We were moving, and the packers were in the kitchen when the glass started flying.

It cracks me up when HUGE guys get spooked. Anyway, they were actually shaken, and I promised them I'd pack the rest of the glasses so the spooks wouldn't get them.

and so the Voice Contest is Over

Two guesses were suppose to come in by midnight, but as of this writing, we had five guessers and two tied for most guesses at 9 correct: Ozone and Blindsk.

And I guess voices are not the popular thing on a webcomic site. Not too shocking.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Product Placement at 2:23PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
Awww… :(

Sorry. I still hadn't made my guesses.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
elektro at 2:31PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(offline)
ayesinback

Two guesses were suppose to come in by midnight, but as of this writing, we had five guessers and two tied for most guesses at 9 correct: Ozone and Blindsk.

And I guess voices are not the popular thing on a webcomic site. Not too shocking.

As much as I wanted to make guesses, there were too many files I could not play because I don't have a compatible player. Therefore, it wouldn't have been a very good list based on just a few.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
skoolmunkee at 2:33PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(offline)
ayesinback

Aw, I'm sorry ayesinback. I thought it was a good idea, anyway. It's pretty crummy that most of the people who submitted their voices were too lazy to submit guesses though. You'd think at least they would have been interested. Shame on you guys!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
seventy2 at 2:37PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
ayesinback

i am ashamed.

I meant to download, but i got all sidetracked building up my computer, pulling apart old laptops, and putting together a futon!

i'm still going to download and guess anyways. just for the fun of it.
———

I'm not familiar with how other countries view their own military, my remark was mostly towards the americans.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
Product Placement at 2:40PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
It's pretty crummy that most of the people who submitted their voices were too lazy to submit guesses though. You'd think at least they would have been interested. Shame on you guys!
And what if they've been spending the last two weeks moving and renovating the new apartment?

Also, let's take it into consideration that it is late december and allot of people were just finishing their finals/getting ready for Christmas. There are such things as bad timing.

But anyways, it still is crummy on my part that I never got around doing the guesswork. I already have all the audio files downloaded on my computer, waiting to be carefully analyzed.

I'd already identified Ozone and Gullas, among few other people.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Skullbie at 4:04PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
Yaaaay got the first three pages of my comic penciled, inked, and word bubbled in 4 days. Not bad at all.

Now there's…coloring *shudders*.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Ozoneocean at 8:31PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
seventy2
I'm not familiar with how other countries view their own military, my remark was mostly towards the americans.
Yeah, but that's why Same thinks the way he does. Northern Ireland :(
America is VERY different… You guys are like the Roman Empire, with flags and eagles everywhere (and I mean everywhere), it's an amazing country, strange, but amazing. And really pretty cool :)
Such a massive military focus though.
elektro
As much as I wanted to make guesses, there were too many files I could not play because I don't have a compatible player. Therefore, it wouldn't have been a very good list based on just a few.
VLC media player. It's a free download and plays EVERYTHING!
Product Placement
I'd already identified Ozone and Gullas, among few other people.
GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! PP you non-Icelandic sounding bastard T_T
Gulas was obvious to YOU because you're not him.
He has a really Icelandic sounding voice, but the problem is that YOU are the most recognisable Icelander here… So I mistook him for you and lost a guess :(

Bastard >:[

I got Electro and Seventy switched around too… But at least I guessed all the girls right. Funny that even though I know Skool's voice, it's still not that easy to guess from the sample.
I'm surprised everyone didn't get me. Hahahaha weird.

Koratz was easy peasy too because he's Dutch. :)
HippieVan at 9:46PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
Sorry I never got a chance to send in guesses, ayesinback.

I had my super-important IB paper due this Monday(which I just finished today, yay!) as well as a lot of other homework crap, and it took me hours to get like 3 guesses. : (
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
skoolmunkee at 2:06AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
Also, let's take it into consideration that it is late december and allot of people were just finishing their finals/getting ready for Christmas. There are such things as bad timing.

It's late December now, but people were able to listen to the voices the whole time, and the list of people who did them was released on the 3rd. I think there probably were a couple things working against it, but I had hoped that some people would send in even partial guesses for the ones they thought they knew, or something. Anyway there's only so much ayes could do, I suppose it just might have been one of those things that only people who are really involved in the community would participate fully in. I thought it was fun anyway, thanks for doing it ayes!

I have a bunch of stuff I want to get done over the holidays (I have 2 weeks off), as always more than I actually would be able to do unless I worked harder than usual (which I won't)… but somehow I still seem to lose half my day in not doing stuff. It's taking me twice as long in the mornings to ‘get going,’ I'm poking around on the internet more, etc. Which is dumb because I'm actually really motivated to do most of the stuff, yet apparently also really want to take a long time doing them? Haha, I dunno.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:50AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(offline)
To the yes man:
I forgot about coming to guess and redoing my enrty-whoops!

But if we continue to do it like…annually maybe we have even more.

Last night I:

Watched a shitty nativity scene (my family tries to be religious, they all know I'm an atheist) and had my brother knock my hot chocolate and spill it all over my lap.

Recently my brother has:
-Made our room (I know it sucks) more of a pigsty.
-Kicked a hole in the bathroom door.
-Wiped a loogie against the window.

He's getting dumber it seems.

In other news I have the feeling that I'm more respected as a DD member than I was when I first joined.
Personally it's because no one should EVER read my old posts here and old comics.
They're godawful and embarrassing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
ayesinback at 6:49AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
If there's interest in doing it again, it should definitely happen at a better time of year, and there's probably more feedback that could be helpful.

Three things I heard a couple of times: Some people were interested in sending a file in but didn't know how to record themselves. (a) they probably need to get a microphone (b) maybe a list of free recording programs/options.

Downloading the files was a pain. LeFarce came up with what looked like a thorough suggestion for a better site, etc. *just reminding folks that I made specific claim to being Non-tekky*

The other thing, from just about everybody, was that the guessing was difficult. So maybe with the sample file a clue or two could be provided. I rather liked having a standard paragraph, it was a nice device to hear the differences, but Stella was beginning to sound olde.

In my book, the most important thing was that I had a lot of fun with it, and it gave me the chance to get to know a few people a little bit better. So no worries, no apologies. And skoolmunkee, you really are a dear. Thanks for the nice compliments!

kyupol at 6:57AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
At first, I thought this whole plot part in Naruto where Naruto tries to save Sasuke from the darkness and does everything he can is totally stupid and insane and is just a mere plot device for fiction.

Not until… it happened to me. I'm in Naruto's shoes… lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
ayesinback at 7:22AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
kyupol

LOL? clown shoes? maybe you should take them off before you trip
Ozoneocean at 7:56AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
If there's interest in doing it again, it should definitely happen at a better time of year, and there's probably more feedback that could be helpful.
Next time we'll broadcast them in the quackcast.
BUT, they'd all have to be about 30 seconds each and all in .wav or .mp3

I think that'd be the ideal setup. We could just broadcast them once and they'd always be in that one cast that anyone could check any time they wanted to.
Skullbie at 11:52AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
So tokyo passed that animu ban. I'd think this was a great thing because I can' even watch the new anime stuff without being assaulted by underage loli characters or sibling incest, but it looks like the bill is gonna target Bl/Gl manga ;-; What's harmful about reading those? Being gay isn't illegal in japan unlike pedophilia and incest.

And the neighbor kids brought xmas cookies! \^_^/ And wow they've both gotten so good looking. I guess i shouldn't call them kids now haha.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 3:31PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(offline)
ayesinback
kyupol

LOL? clown shoes? maybe you should take them off before you trip
clown shoes? More like sora if you want to wear clown shoes.

Today I hung out with a good friend of mine.
Tomorrow I sing at nursing homes.
The next day I have a lot of work to do.
The next I don't know what I'm doing.
The following, I carol all day, give my SS her gift (an ornament with a menorah painted on it-she's Jewish), and then have vacation until the 2nd of January.
You can bet I'll be on the duck for most of it.

Yay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
kyupol at 7:44PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
Help! Psycho girl is in love with me and she believes I'm her soulmate!!! o_o

About her:
- she's good looking (I'd put her 8/10)
- may appear very nice and intelligent and very loving and caring.
- but… she's known to throw fits and get really upset over small things or things you accidentally say even if you mean well. According to alot of people who know her, one moment she's ready and eager to please you and die for you, and the next moment she's “get the fuck outta here you fucking piece of shit! I hate you!”

I'm scared. If I say “NO”, she might literally kill me.

So… I'd just hide from her and hopefully it all fizzles out. lol!
Ozoneocean at 8:28PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
@ Skull- good news about the loli ban! Hopefully it doesn't mess up the bi/gay stuff… Unfortunately the sorts of activists most into banning things tend to be conservative types who hate gays and don't distinguish between that with other stuff.

@ Kyu- stop being shy. Just go for it and see how things pan out. If you're not right for each other, so what? Find out along the way.
——————-

Went to bed at 2am last night, which should have been perfectly ok since I don't have to get up till 8am. Except my selfish tomcat comes in and will NOT let me sleep!!!! At 5am in the bloody morning. Jumping all over my bed, going mountaineering on my cupboards, all so I'll get up and feed him. Little shit!
Pouring rain outside with a nice summer storm, but that meant I couldn't get back to sleep.
In the end I carried him up the back in the rain in nothing but my undies and a pair of uggboots and fed him . Then spent the rest of the time trying to fool my body into thinking it was night. Didn't work.

So no Christmas shopping this afternoon after work. I'll need a good siesta. 3 hours sleep is not good. -_-
kyupol at 9:45PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
@ Kyu- stop being shy. Just go for it and see how things pan out. If you're not right for each other, so what? Find out along the way.

… you… have… no… idea…

This girl needs to be locked up in a max security mental institution!!! lol!
bravo1102 at 12:51AM, Dec. 20, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
seventy2
Yeah, but that's why Same thinks the way he does. Northern Ireland :(
America is VERY different… You guys are like the Roman Empire, with flags and eagles everywhere (and I mean everywhere), it's an amazing country, strange, but amazing. And really pretty cool :)
Such a massive military focus though

Is this the same USA that I grew up in? Where military historians are red-haired step children on college campuses? Where all good works on military history are done by Englishmen unless you want to read about the American Civil War?

And I think Steve Zaloga is the only American author published by Osprey…

But you have to admit the USA has a visually interesting flag. All those stars and stripes. It's not just another tri-color. The Brasilian flag is neat but that thing in the middle looks like a blue marble not the Southern Cross. Yeah I spell it with an “s” because everywhere I go I see Brasilians! New Jersey is overrun with Asian Indians and Brasilians. But the sexiest women in the world…

All the go-go bars have been taken over by Brasilian and Russian women. How can a perv pick up a dancer if she only speaks Portugese or Russian? (Ukrainians too) And they swear at the guys in their native language and the guys think they're flirting. lol!

Now you know some more of the stories I hear when working my security job.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Genejoke at 5:27AM, Dec. 20, 2010
(online)
kyupol

About her:
- she's good looking (I'd put her 8/10)
- may appear very nice and intelligent and very loving and caring.
- but… she's known to throw fits and get really upset over small things or things you accidentally say even if you mean well. According to alot of people who know her, one moment she's ready and eager to please you and die for you, and the next moment she's “get the fuck outta here you fucking piece of shit! I hate you!”

get with her and suffocate her. No I do not mean murder but smother her with your affections, make her want to break up with you.

There is no way it can end badly… honest…

Or convince her that you have seen the error of your ways and that all conspiracy and spiritual stuff is for idiots, that might do it.

But I have dated people like that, one was particularly bad, the things she wanted to do in bed were a little bit too much for me. Things even El cid wouldn't dream up, well maybe not, not quite that bad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
mechanical_lullaby at 5:31AM, Dec. 20, 2010
(online)
Had a moment of hilarity.
Red Dead Redemption is more or less Grand Theft Equis.
My friend shot up an entire town in Mexico, and when he finally got put down, he had already gotten bored of shooting and was attempting to lasso birds. Just those two events, juxtaposed together.

“That's right, sheriff, killed the entire town. It was a massacre.”
“How'd you get him?”
“Oh, well he got distracted lassoing birds.”

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
bravo1102 at 5:54AM, Dec. 20, 2010
(offline)
Genejoke
kyupol

get with her and suffocate her. No I do not mean murder but smother her with your affections, make her want to break up with you.

There is no way it can end badly… honest…

But I have dated people like that, one was particularly bad, the things she wanted to do in bed were a little bit too much for me. Things even El cid wouldn't dream up, well maybe not, not quite that bad.

I dated her too. Not to worry you'll live. Just keep your wits about you. Personally I learned that nothing in bed is too much for me.

Sure she tried to kill me because she didn't take her lithium that day but like I said nothing was too much for me. But then I'm a tanker and there ain't a whole lot above my neck so I just do what I gotta go and move the fuck out. Hoo-rah.

Yeah, those were the days.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
seventy2 at 12:31PM, Dec. 20, 2010
(online)
you ever see someone, and they say “hey what's up?” and you say “hey what's up?” and then you look at them, and suddenly, you're not so sure who they are? but you don't wanna ask cause you feel they'll be insulted, and you don't wanna say a name, cause you feel they'll be doubly insulted?

i don't know who that person was at the gym. maybe i do? but then if i do she gained a lot of weight over 3 months…maybe she's pregnant? i don't think so.

speaking of the gym…mui caliente.
facara
ayesinback at 12:45PM, Dec. 20, 2010
(online)
seventy2
you ever see someone, and they say “hey what's up?” and you say “hey what's up?” and then you look at them, and suddenly, you're not so sure who they are?
TOO often. Usually I'm good about recognizing a face, but I'm horrible with associating a name.

then seventy2
maybe i do? but then if i do she gained a lot of weight over 3 months…maybe she's pregnant?
Unless you enjoy having skin ripped off your face, do not EVER voice the theory of “gee, you must have gotten pregnant since the last time we saw each other”. You've been warned. facial-skin rip. not good.
seventy2 at 1:24PM, Dec. 20, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
Unless you enjoy having skin ripped off your face, do not EVER voice the theory of “gee, you must have gotten pregnant since the last time we saw each other”. You've been warned. facial-skin rip. not good.

I would never do that…to someones face. or behind their back. unless you count drunk duck. but this is mostly my thoughts as they roll off my brain stuff.

the more i think about it, the more i realize it's not who i thought it was initially. but then, that means that not only do i not put a name to a face, but that i have absolutely no clue who this person is…
but i am a pretty well known person in these parts (not necessarily liked or disliked, just well known)
facara

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon