Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, Moan and Rave - 2010 edition
Lonnehart at 1:35AM, Jan. 5, 2010
(online)
Terminal
I bought a pastrami sandwich today.

It was actually a ham sandwich.

I was pretty disappointed.

ACK! Pastrami?!? I used to love that sandwich. But then it's greasy and very salty… well, the ones I had while I was in Texas anyway. x_x
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Ozoneocean at 2:17AM, Jan. 5, 2010
(online)
kyupol
I might be seeing MAG-ISA published this year.

A publisher liked it (its a somewhat left-leaning paper… but I do agree with 90% of their stuff). Not a bad start to start a career. That'll be great even if I'm just gonna be doing their editorial cartoons. :)
Congrats man! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 4:40AM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
I slept a full 8 hours for once. But I'm just as tired as usual. I'm never sleeping again.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
ramlama at 7:19AM, Jan. 5, 2010
(online)
kyupol

A publisher liked it (its a somewhat left-leaning paper… but I do agree with 90% of their stuff). Not a bad start to start a career. That'll be great even if I'm just gonna be doing their editorial cartoons. :)
I've loved doing editorial cartoons. It takes a bit of time to transition from storytelling to the kind of hamfisted symbolism/iconography of editorial cartoons, but they're fun to make when you get the hang of them.

seventy2]Well lately i've been into this really popular band that everyone seems to have known about. i didn't like them because their later works just seems off the wall. so i never gave their earlier works a try. but now, since i've watched a movie titled "across the universe" I just can't seem to get the beatles out of my head....[/quote
Amen. Across the Universe was pretty phenomenal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
gullas at 9:15AM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
gee, it's only taking us 5 days to get to post 100 here?

in other news, my new comp arrives on thursday! YAY's *dances to the “Happy happy, joy joy” song*
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:17AM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
I bet this wil be the biggest rant thread ever. 1000 posts plus or some crap like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
HippieVan at 1:02PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master
I bet this will be the biggest rant thread ever. 1000 posts plus or some crap like that.

In one year? Sounds like a goal!

Actually this thread would probably become terrible if we all just tried to post as much as possible. Maybe that's not such a good idea.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ironscarf at 3:20PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
Hippie Van
Actually this thread would probably become terrible if we all just tried to post as much as possible. Maybe that's not such a good idea.

This thread is already terrible.

Something like a foot of snow due to fall on london tonight; it's already piling up. I don't know why everything shuts down for snow now - kids will be off school. When I was at school we didn't just go in the snow - we had to carry on playing rugby unless it got up to your knees: then it was cross country running.

Sorry to sound so ancient: this terrible thread brings out the worst in us all!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
HippieVan at 3:32PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(online)
Ironscarf
Something like a foot of snow due to fall on london tonight; it's already piling up. I don't know why everything shuts down for snow now - kids will be off school.

Man, we never get snow days! The last one I remember was a few years ago, and it wasn't a real snow day. So few people showed up to school that they just told the rest of the students they could go home.
30 below and I'm still walking to school. In conclusion, you guys are pansies(aka reasonable people who know that it's ridiculous to expect anyone to go outside in those conditions).

In other news, I wish I could type as much for my portfolio write-ups as I can write on the forums here. They're meant to be a page long each but I have to set them all at size 14 to get even half a page. I wouldn't be working so hard in art class if writing pages and pages of good stuff came easily to me.
I mean, what source did I draw it from? What importance does the piece have to me? What mediums/methods did I use? That's like 3 small paragraphs, max. Stupid art teacher(actually he's pretty good, I just hate these write-ups).
Bocaj at 3:43PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(online)
kyupol
Awesome!!! Congrats!
seventy2
Beatles

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
elektro at 3:48PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
My dad's going to be going in for an operation on his carotid artery soon. Here's hoping he gets through it alright.

In better news, I'm currently doing my annual reading of “The Complete Calvin and Hobbes”, plus I have an opening reception in Chicago in a couple of weeks that I can't wait for.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 3:51PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
A terribly boring post here:

I am now addicted. 700+ posts! And skullbie doubted I would top 600! :P
skoolmunkee at 4:48PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
Thanks to the snow today, tonight, and likely tomorrow, I get to skip out on travelling to work tomorrow (will work from home), miss a meeting that was sure to be ‘eh’, and get a bit more time to prepare for something on Friday.

Also probably means I'm unlikely to go to the gym though… unless the afternoon clears up?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Skullbie at 7:51PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(online)
Got another rant about collab forums, I can't seem to stay away >_>
Anyways every single ad ever fits into one of these categories(okay not really);

-Teens with clusterfuck stories: vampires/faeries/KH doujins/whatever. They took every manga/video game plot they liked and tried to mash it together +BL

-People with novellas: Their ad alone is a small essay and they've got a huge complicated plot that would be 1000x better as a novel than a comic.

-Teens with creepyfuck stories: Gore/incest/rape, usually all three. What the fucking god is wrong with kids today to posses them to make a comic glorifying these(usually with vampires and fairies)?

-Dark superhero stories: Adult males wanting to make a spawn/spiderman/deadpool rip-off, but they usually pay for the work.

-Someone who will write for you: Usually ‘starting off’ and has never made a script an artist can follow. Sends you a dialog only 19-page word doc to fit in 5 pages.

-Someone who didn't leave a description or any info on it: Afraid their idea will get ‘stolen’, or someone without a story wondering who they'll get.

-Writers with good stories: All above think they're in this category.

————–

…I'm really bored right now. I'm not really looking foreward to school next week though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
crocty at 8:31PM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
Uuugh I hope it's another snow day tomorrow.
PHSE tomorrow (For those of you who don't know what that is, think of a dump subject that anyone can pass, make it 100x easier, and make it count for nothing, and this is what you get) and apparently everyone in the sixth form has to go in a tiny room that we will NOT fit in.
Last time that happened we were stuck for 1 hour listening to a long ass-lecture.
Ugh…
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
seventy2 at 2:14AM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
RAAAGE. post did not process.

short:

i'm in shreveport louisiana, to keep that snow from ruining work.

i can't see bocaj's picture he posted for me….
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
AQua_ng at 6:47AM, Jan. 6, 2010
(offline)
crocty
PHSE

However, this snow's has frozen my work ethic and I cannot be bothered to do any studying or what have you. My exams are in a week as well…

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
Ozoneocean at 8:04AM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
My latest carefully targeted e-bay purchases are all set to assemble a magnificent new outfit!
I intend to end up looking sort of like this:

:)

…. if I do it right.

And hopefully not this:

—-_______—-
Lonnehart at 11:00AM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
One of these days someone's going to post a picture of a “fashionable” caveman/cavewoman outfit. No, not like the ones you see in Fred Flinstone shows. Well… maybe a bit more recent than the neanderthal ages… Maybe stuff made from mammoth hide or something? I doubt we'll ever see dinosaur hide coats as humans didn't exist when the T-Rex did… though we are enjoying the taste of the T-Rex's alleged “descendants”… :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Aurora Borealis at 11:19AM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
Skullbie
Got another rant about collab forums, I can't seem to stay away >_>
Anyways every single ad ever fits into one of these categories(okay not really);

-Teens with clusterfuck stories: vampires/faeries/KH doujins/whatever. They took every manga/video game plot they liked and tried to mash it together +BL

-People with novellas: Their ad alone is a small essay and they've got a huge complicated plot that would be 1000x better as a novel than a comic.

-Teens with creepyfuck stories: Gore/incest/rape, usually all three. What the fucking god is wrong with kids today to posses them to make a comic glorifying these(usually with vampires and fairies)?

-Dark superhero stories: Adult males wanting to make a spawn/spiderman/deadpool rip-off, but they usually pay for the work.

-Someone who will write for you: Usually ‘starting off’ and has never made a script an artist can follow. Sends you a dialog only 19-page word doc to fit in 5 pages.

-Someone who didn't leave a description or any info on it: Afraid their idea will get ‘stolen’, or someone without a story wondering who they'll get.

-Writers with good stories: All above think they're in this category.

————–

…I'm really bored right now. I'm not really looking foreward to school next week though.

Hey, I've got this story for you. It's about a vampire fairy family of space explorers who slaughter the inhabitants of planets but then one guy, kinda like spawn but he's actually a furry lizard kinda thing that dresses in spandex is fighting them. And he's an immortal, so you get to see how he fights them over twenty generations or so, holding their progress. He fights them cause they're reminding him of his grandma that abused him as a child with a pickaxe handle. Anyway, here's the script for the short first chapter, sorry it's 20k words but you should be able to figure out how to squeeze that in. I'll come up with chapter two whenever I have an idea what to do for it… but it's going to be GREAT!

(add bad grammar and internet spelling where applicable, batteries not included)

I've noticed that writers generally have less self-criticism, mostly because it's harder to SEE that your writing sucks donkey balls than it is with images.

- - - - - -
In other news: sent my files to ka-blam yesterday :D
Ozoneocean at 11:22AM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
Lonnehart
though we are enjoying the taste of the T-Rex's alleged “descendants”…
The chicken certainly didn't descend from T-Rex. That'd be like saying you descended from your great, great, great grandfather's second cousin twice removed. Who was gay. :)
…but it makes better headlines when the press guys pretend it's a direct relationship :P

Are you saying white tie is old fashioned? >:[
I'll have you know that look is timeless! :/
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:05PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(offline)
Skullbie
Minus the vampires you got me. It's mainly that I love Stephen King. I just haven't released/finished abunch of my
Skullbie
novellas:

On a more positive note, I had auditons for winter Caberet yesterday and they may put me out for a solo! That and tommorrow I'm going to see Wicked (not at Broadway but with a Broadway cast) with my drama club! That's why ahem I will not be on drunkducktommorrow…

Terrible news with that last bit but Wicked is worth it. :D
amanda at 12:16PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
I just can't seem to get over my needle phobia… and it's frustrating to make such a spectacle of myself at the doctor's office. *sigh*
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
HippieVan at 1:57PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
amanda
I just can't seem to get over my needle phobia… and it's frustrating to make such a spectacle of myself at the doctor's office. *sigh*

My little sister has a terrible fear of needles. Apparently it's a really difficult phobia to overcome.
lba at 2:19PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
I don't think you ever really get over it. I tried getting over it when I was little, and only got to the point where it's a subconscious issue. And in the process I probably made it worse. Now I can look at a needle without feeling afraid, but if I'm already stressed out in some way, and I see one going into my arm or whatever, I just black out and start convulsing like a fresh-caught perch. I just take solace in the fact that this is pretty much the only thing that has ever caused such a response with me.

————-

I finally admitted defeat and pulled my work from the galleries I had it in. It was getting to the point that paying for the wall space was just costing me money and I wasn't selling anything. I'm disappointed, but not really horribly surprised. I halfway put the work up there for resume material.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
amanda at 2:36PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
I'm to the point that I can be completely relaxed and positive that I can actually go through with it - I feel like the most reasonable person in the world. But the second the needle comes out of the package, I'm in the corner of the room in a fetal position in tears. Even though I warn the phlebotomist, he or she is *never* prepared for it. *sigh* I take solace in the fact that I'm not the only one XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
same at 2:40PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(online)
TWILIGHT FAGGOTS ANNOY THE HELL OUT OF ME! AND CAPS IS STUCK AGAIN! >:0
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 4:12PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(offline)
amanda

I have to get 40 shots in one arm soon.
i will also like to know you the more
lothar at 4:26PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(offline)
Atom Apple
I have to get 40 shots in one arm soon.

40 ! holy lord !! wut is it leprosy or rabies ?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Ironscarf at 4:55PM, Jan. 6, 2010
(offline)
Lonnehart
One of these days someone's going to post a picture of a “fashionable” caveman/cavewoman outfit.

Not great, but it's a start:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon