Debate and Discussion

Rant: Your Friends Make You Fat...Not!
dueeast at 5:32PM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Some of you may know, I do size acceptance advocacy work, and I'm a big believer in educating through entertainment (i.e. - podcasts, blogs, comics, etc.) Anyway, I'm sure many of you heard in the news about new research claiming obesity is “contagious” through your friendships. I decided to write my response in a blog post today. I thought I'd share a little summation from it and the link to it. I'm also opening it up for discussion.

dueeast
The newest tidbits of expertise on obesity from one segment of the medical world published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) (vol 357, 370-379, 2007) are, not surprisingly, painfully flawed and guilty of the same underlying prejudice against fat people that plagues the medical community in general. If you break down their findings, two dangerous messages come across loud and clear:

1. Being around fat people will increase your chances of getting fat, so you better not hang out with fat people; and
2. If you're fat, you're going to lose all your friends if you don't lose weight, so you better get thin as soon as possible!

Click here to read the full blog entry

Thanks for reading!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Aurora Moon at 5:45PM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
LOL that's so retarded.

I happen to have a brother who's very…. fat. In fact his belly makes him look like he's pregant with triplets, just how it hangs out in a huge round shape but doesnt seem to make him fat on the sides.

So I guess that means that I should be very fat, right? Not. I've posted my picture here before and I'm sure that people who knows me from those pictures know me to be very thin, with some curves going on thanks to my “child-bearing” hips.

And I've had people who were… let us say pleasantly plump. yet people wouldn't really describe me to be “plump”.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Hawk at 6:20PM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Well, I thought about this for a second… You know what though? I can kind of see where the connection could be made.

I think that if a fat person was friends with a lot of other fat people, they'd feel less pressure to lose weight than a fat person among skinny friends. I know that's completely different from a fat people turning a skinny friend fat though. It's more like fat people keeping another fat person fat.

I think the closest you can get to the theory actually working is that people who hang out together often have the same eating and exercise habits. If a skinny person made friends with several fat people and starting eating at the same places and doing the same activities as them, they'd probably start gaining weight (providing it was the food and activities that made the friends fat in the first place).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Insane Angelic at 7:03PM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
Well, I think that's just stupid and encouages people to kick out fat peoples…

Truthfully- Hawk, you just said what I wanted to say!
Ahem to this!

But think about it a little. If you're out with your friends. Your friends decide to eat at MCDonalds. Will you go and tag along to eat with them? If your friends decided to go and watch a movie as a group, will you tag along?

The answer is probably yes.
No wonder. But it doesn't proves anything, right?

Now i've proven my point that it doesn't really proves that hanging around with fat people will make one fat.
It's all in love and war, messieurs and ladies!
It's all in the willness!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
lefarce at 8:59PM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
dueeast
Some of you may know, I do size acceptance advocacy work, and I'm a big believer in educating through entertainment (i.e. - podcasts, blogs, comics, etc.) Anyway, I'm sure many of you heard in the news about new research claiming obesity is “contagious” through your friendships. I decided to write my response in a blog post today. I thought I'd share a little summation from it and the link to it. I'm also opening it up for discussion.

dueeast
The newest tidbits of expertise on obesity from one segment of the medical world published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) (vol 357, 370-379, 2007) are, not surprisingly, painfully flawed and guilty of the same underlying prejudice against fat people that plagues the medical community in general. If you break down their findings, two dangerous messages come across loud and clear:

1. Being around fat people will increase your chances of getting fat, so you better not hang out with fat people; and
2. If you're fat, you're going to lose all your friends if you don't lose weight, so you better get thin as soon as possible!

Thanks for reading!

Wait, so doctors are just now discovering “peer pressure”?

Holy fuck.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
marine at 11:16PM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
dueeast

dueeast

Thanks for reading!

Holy fuck.

when I first found out about peer pressure my mind did this:

Seriously, I dated a lot of fat girls and maintain a pretty decent body wieght and fitness regime. Its subjective. If you're lazy you'll become fat and round. If you're a manly man you'll work that ass off.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
TheMidge28 at 8:37AM, July 28, 2007
(online)
lefarce
dueeast

dueeast

Thanks for reading!

Holy fuck.

LOL!!!!

so concise and poignant.
Its the truth though peer pressure adds to what some is willing and not willing to do.
So said fat person hangs with said fat people they turn into said or sad fat person who is on the next episode of Maury!
Its called responsibility.
But there is another side though… contentment.
They had another poll advising fat people were happier than thin people…
That may be why more people hang with a fat guy just for shitz and giggles!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
lefarce at 10:01AM, July 28, 2007
(offline)
People always conform to their friend's and peers, which some can view as a form of peer pressure. A lot of traits from my friend's rub off on me. It can be a subconscious pressure to be like your friends or do what they do to please them. It's not always as simple as “hey, do this!”.

Again, why doctors are JUST NOW figuring this out really shows that just because you went to school for 8 years doesn't mean you're a fucking genius.

Next thing you'll know they'll figure out that fire is HOT.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Bekefel at 10:14AM, July 28, 2007
(offline)
Lefarce
Next thing you'll know they'll figure out that fire is HOT.

Jesus, seriously?

I have some friends who are fat as hell, and instead of being lulled into being a fat bloke, I actually look at them and think, I never want to be that way.

Having fat friends actually helps you to not gain weight in my opinion.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
muridiana at 3:12PM, July 29, 2007
(offline)
Bah makes about as muhc sense as usual fat people dont make others fat usually their friends stay the same and they stay the same they talk like its a virus. if you've always been a certain shape and so have your friends its very unlikly one friend will assimilate you to being fat. ive gained a bit of weight from being lazy thats the only way you get fat OMG this means they will find another way to attack the games industry.
I told you It was broken, but would you listen? Oh no, now look where we are…it's……so….pretty….hey! We are dead!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
TheTopHat at 7:12PM, July 29, 2007
(offline)
Well useing myself as as exsaple here. Im fat, however know thinking about, nearly all my friends are skinning. ALL the girls i hang about with are.
Becuase they hang out with me thier not fat and it be a cold day in hell befor i can be assed to diet.

However poeple do take on affter the poeple around them, however this is more on looking at the clutre that they live in - not a person to person thing.

(anyhow if fatness is know given im going to start running up a hunging the lollypops heads and size 0's. It be a puplic servives)

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
EmilyTheStrange at 8:29PM, July 29, 2007
(offline)
I can definately see where peer presure would play as a factor… but its pretty obvious. xD; When you're little and at a friends house they offer you a ring ding and pepsi, you'll eat the ring ding and pepsi. If you're out with your friends and they want to go to McDonalds you'll go to McDonalds.

But, in my situation, like it seems for half the people in this thread, I'm the skinny one in my group. I have a group of 6 or 7 close friends I hang with a lot and I'm the only one who is skinny (my other friend, who also is named Emily, is skinny too, but really under weight skinny. She's 5'10 and 120 lbs, she's just built like that.)

So the moral of the story is change your name and the names of your friends to Emily and you will be skinny. -thumbs up- : D

Take THAT New England Journal of Medicine!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Rusty Knight at 9:21PM, July 30, 2007
(offline)
Well what Hawk said is true. If those Fat friends have bad eating habits. But even then it's kinda unlikely. If a person has been fit all they're natural life, they're not just gonna get fat from hanging around fat friends.

In fact my girlfriend is fat, but I'm not. It's not like she has a bad diet, she's just naturally that big.

On the idea of the Doctors just now discovering “Peer Pressure”, it reminded me of a handicapped comedian.

She was deaf, and was about 6'3“ tall.

”When I was born, the doctors told my mother three things. They said
'You're daughter is deaf.'
'She will never learn how to speak'
'She will never be taller than 5'5“

*She then looked down at herself*

”and they said I'M handicapped!"
I'm Jon. You can call me Dr. Jon… but I prefer Jon since I'm not really a Doctor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
lefarce at 9:23PM, July 30, 2007
(offline)
Ok, I just saw them do a report about this on CNN, and I threw my shoe at the TV.

No wonder we can't find a cure for cancer.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM
Ladyknight17 at 9:04AM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Yeah. Right.

I'm a size 24, and 220 lbs. My friends are all much smaller then me. I have only one or two plus sized friends. My friends don't make me want to lose weight, and shock I know, but I haven't made them want to gain. Thats such a load of bull. We go out to eat together, they eat my cooking, we do all the same activities. And some how…wow…I don't shrink and they don't grow. Stunning.

Could it be? Perhapses a difference in the chemicals of the body? Noooooooo. We're just fat and lazy and naturally we encourage others to be the same.

I'm proud to be a bid woman. And my friends find me sexy as I am and I think they look just as good the way they are.

And I'm far from lazy. I work 50 hours a week in a warehouse! I to tai chi. I also play loads of DDR. I go on long walks. I'm just so tired of people telling me that I need to change. Screw CNN and any news channel encouraging this!
Tired of messing with a banner. Just visit the comic at…

www.drunkduck.com/red_poems/
Thanks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
kingofsnake at 11:48AM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Ladyknight17
Yeah. Right.

I'm a size 24, and 220 lbs. My friends are all much smaller then me. I have only one or two plus sized friends. My friends don't make me want to lose weight, and shock I know, but I haven't made them want to gain. Thats such a load of bull. We go out to eat together, they eat my cooking, we do all the same activities. And some how…wow…I don't shrink and they don't grow. Stunning.

Could it be? Perhapses a difference in the chemicals of the body? Noooooooo. We're just fat and lazy and naturally we encourage others to be the same.

I'm proud to be a bid woman. And my friends find me sexy as I am and I think they look just as good the way they are.

And I'm far from lazy. I work 50 hours a week in a warehouse! I to tai chi. I also play loads of DDR. I go on long walks. I'm just so tired of people telling me that I need to change. Screw CNN and any news channel encouraging this!

The “chemical differences in the body” is a myth. Unless you have a thyroid condition or something. You don't see any overweight people in Sudan. Overweight people are overweight because of their diet and exercize, and not necessarily their current diet and exercize, but their diet and exercize growing up. Your body wants to stay the same weight that it is now, whether you're skinny or fat, so if you want to change that, you need to drastically change your lifestyle. It's almost as much work gaining 20 pounds in the next 3 months as it is losing it. If you're eating properly you're not going to gain weight or lose weight, you're going to stay the same. So if you're exercizing *some* and your skinny friends are exercizing *some* and you're eating healthy sometimes and unhealthy sometimes but basically staying around your daily required calorie intake you're not going to lose weight and they're not going to gain weight. So it is perfectly feasible that you and your friends have absolutely identical diet and exercise habits and you weigh quite a bit more than them. Losing weight requires that you exercize more than is nessecary and eat food that is consistantly healthier than usual. Just like gaining weight requires that you do less work than usual, and eat unhealthier foods. It's unfair to criticize overweight people for their current habits, because they're usually overweight because growing up, when they didn't know better, they had bad habits. It says nothing about their habits now.

I'm not saying you need to lose weight. The important thing is that you're happy. I'm saying don't blame it on a chemical imbalance unless you have an actual medical condition. I'm saying accept that the reason you're overweight now is that you didn't always have good eating habits. Or at least blame your parents.

The whole “are your fat friends making you fat” is another one of those media half-truths. I remember a few months ago they had a “are your kids making you fat” dealie. The idea was that you're buying sweets for your kids and then eating them yourself. But the easy answer to that is, stop buying so much junkfood for your kids.

The argument *could* be made that your fat friends have a worse diet than you, but as Ladyknight can attest, thats not always the case. Whether you're 110 or 210 pounds the amount of food you need to eat to just maintain body weight is relatively the same. Someone who's been maintaining a bodyweight of 250 pounds for the last five years, is likely going to have a relatively similar diet as someone who's been maintaining 150. The thing is though, with overweight people it's much more likely that they havn't been maintianing for five years, but rather are all over the map, losing 20 pounds, gaining five, losing seven, gaining fifteen, and so on. If you're a 110 and have the exact same lifestyle you're going to gain more weight than you lose because its much harder to lose 5 pounds when your 110 because you have less weight to lose, whereas the diffuclty of gaining 5 pounds is the same regardless of how much you weigh. I think Hawk's point is more valid though. When I was in college I had a much stronger urge to go to the gym when I was in the dorm wing full of skinny freshmen than I did when I was in the wing full of linebackers. You compare yourself to those around you, if you're around fat people alot you'll think “I'm not that fat, I can eat icecream for dinner.” Which is not only the beginning of gaining weight, but the beginning of starting a bad habit.

When push comes to shove, if you're gaining weight, it's because you're not exercizing the self-control to eat heathy and exercize regularly. America is more obese now that it's ever been. You can blame it on transitive fats, fast food, the increasing number of office type jobs, or your fat friends, but if you're gaining weight you need to take responsibility for your actions, develop some willpower, eat healthier and exercize more. And if you're already overweight, then you need to go even further in order to make up for your bad habits of the past. Stop playing the blame game america.

I Don't Want to be the Fat Kid
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
dueeast at 12:53PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Kingofsnake,

I agree with let's stop the blame game. I also agree that people need to try their best to maintain some level of fitness and eat healthy. I'm glad you said that the most important thing is for people to be happy with themselves, because I agree with that, too.

I don't agree about the whole willpower myth. I know too many people who made Herculean efforts to lose weight and inevitably they got on the yo-yo dieting roller coaster…and it had nothing to do with willpower. It had to do with the fact that dieting itself is flawed and the body can gain weight on an extraordinarily low amount of calories, if the metabolism is sufficiently slowed down from years of dieting.

What I have found, consistently, is this: When people abandon the fairy tale that dieting, diet pills/drugs and surgery will magically make them thin permanently and instead focus on eating regularly and well-balanced (all food groups or vegetarian equivalent) meals, getting some form of regular activity and feel better about themselves, their overall health improves and they become more confident and more active. And this can very much contribute to their happiness.

kingofsnake at 1:32PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
dueeast
Kingofsnake,

I agree with let's stop the blame game. I also agree that people need to try their best to maintain some level of fitness and eat healthy. I'm glad you said that the most important thing is for people to be happy with themselves, because I agree with that, too.

I don't agree about the whole willpower myth. I know too many people who made Herculean efforts to lose weight and inevitably they got on the yo-yo dieting roller coaster…and it had nothing to do with willpower. It had to do with the fact that dieting itself is flawed and the body can gain weight on an extraordinarily low amount of calories, if the metabolism is sufficiently slowed down from years of dieting.

What I have found, consistently, is this: When people abandon the fairy tale that dieting, diet pills/drugs and surgery will magically make them thin permanently and instead focus on eating regularly and well-balanced (all food groups or vegetarian equivalent) meals, getting some form of regular activity and feel better about themselves, their overall health improves and they become more confident and more active. And this can very much contribute to their happiness.

Diets are flawed, dieting is not. Diets, the way they're marketed, as some miracle that you can get down to 120 pounds by just eating grapefruit are bullshit and result in exactly what you describe. The yo-yo rollercoaster. Because they're not managable. You can't eat only grapefruit, or never eat sugar for the rest of your life. They're great to lose 20 pounds super fast but once your body has acclimated to the change you'll stop losing weight, and then you're eventually going to break because the limitations you put on yourself were so extreme.

When I talk about dieting thats not what I'm talking about. And eating far fewer calories than is healthy isn't *really* dieting either. The reason people still don't lose weight is that your body stops burning those calories, because it thinks you're starving.

When I talk about dieting thats not what I'm talking about. When I'm talking about dieting I'm talking about eating slightly less than you require to maintain your body weight, like 2200 calories instead of 3000 calories, and getting it through healthier foods. The oldfashioned definition of dieting, the one that everyone's so afraid of but really isn't that hard.

Willpower isn't a myth, metabolism is a myth. The rate you burn calories is directly proportional to the amount of muscle mass you have, your age, and the amount of activity in your lifestyle. The only way food factors into it is if you eat so little that your body goes into hibernation on a cellular level. So, someone who is athletic is going to burn far more calories than someone who is the same body weight but out of shape. The rate you metabolize food is roughly the same as anyone else your age, with your lifestyle, and your muscle mass. Like I said your metabolism wants to keep you the weight you are used to being, thats why when you lose a bunch of weight it's easy to get back up to your old weight. It's why fat people stay fat and skinny people stay skinny. You can never CHANGE your metabolism. The best you can hope for is to change the weight your body accepts as your nomal weight so that your metabolism will keep you at that weight
dueeast at 1:50PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Kingofsnake,

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one. I know for a fact that metabolism is directly impacted by weight loss dieting which is why yo-yo dieting has its damaging effects and results in massive weight gain over a number of years and even decades. You absolutely can unintentionally change your metabolism from dieting. This is why dieting fails, because when people come off the diets and resume normal eating (not overeating), they gain back the weight, plus more. It is because their body is reacting as if it had endured a famine and is trying to survive the next one. The metabolism does slow (this has been documented), the ability to store fat increases and muscle is lost before fat, which is why weight loss dieting is so bad for the heart and causes hypertension.

I've been doing this for 10 years, I can back up my assertions.

kingofsnake
Willpower isn't a myth, metabolism is a myth. The rate you burn calories is directly proportional to the amount of muscle mass you have, your age, and the amount of activity in your lifestyle. The only way food factors into it is if you eat so little that your body goes into hibernation on a cellular level. So, someone who is athletic is going to burn far more calories than someone who is the same body weight but out of shape. The rate you metabolize food is roughly the same as anyone else your age, with your lifestyle, and your muscle mass. Like I said your metabolism wants to keep you the weight you are used to being, thats why when you lose a bunch of weight it's easy to get back up to your old weight. It's why fat people stay fat and skinny people stay skinny. You can never CHANGE your metabolism. The best you can hope for is to change the weight your body accepts as your nomal weight so that your metabolism will keep you at that weight
kingofsnake at 2:20PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
dueeast
Kingofsnake,

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one. I know for a fact that metabolism is directly impacted by weight loss dieting which is why yo-yo dieting has its damaging effects and results in massive weight gain over a number of years and even decades. You absolutely can unintentionally change your metabolism from dieting. This is why dieting fails, because when people come off the diets and resume normal eating (not overeating), they gain back the weight, plus more. It is because their body is reacting as if it had endured a famine and is trying to survive the next one. The metabolism does slow (this has been documented), the ability to store fat increases and muscle is lost before fat, which is why weight loss dieting is so bad for the heart and causes hypertension.

I've been doing this for 10 years, I can back up my assertions.

Generally when people come off a diet the do over eat. They indulge in all the foods that they denied for themselves in a very short period of time, while their bodies are working to get them back to their normal weight. This is part of the reason they overshoot, and if their diet was extreme enough then you're absoluely right that their body tries to gain more weight in order to prepare for the next wave of starvation. However, there is no permanent change in metabolism. You still metabolize food at the same rate, you're body just accepts a new higher body mass as normalcy. If, things worked the way you describe, then when a person who used to weigh 220 pounds who starved thimeselves in an idiotic unhealthy way down to 190 with a calorie intake of like 800 calories a day and no exercize, came off their diet and went back to 3000 calories a day, not only would they gain back up to 220 pounds and overshoot that to 230, but additionally at 3000 calories a day they would continue to gain weight, whereas in reality they will gain back up to 230, but a 3000 calorie intake will maintain that weight, not add to it.

I'm sure you can back up your assertions, but that doesn't make them right. BBC can back up their assertions that your friends are making you fat thanks to the New England Journal of Medicine. Just because you can back up your statements doesn't make them nessecarily correct. The reliabilty of your proof is far more important than your ability to provide it. The rate my body metabolizes food is almost identical to someone who is the same age/gender/lifestlye as me but 50 pounds heavier, my body mass index is just different.

Diet, without knowing what you're doing and over-dieting dangerous, you're aboslutely right. But if you exercize a little common sense in your diet then those negative side effects you mentioned won't occur. I started a diet in April and lost twenty pounds. In the last two weeks I haven't been dieting, but have eating relatively healthy. I had ice cream and like half a bag of cheetos for dinner last night becuase I was short on time. Today I had granola and berries in milk for breakfast, peanut butter on wheat toast, a banana and a salad. So you can see I've resumed “normal eating” I'm indulging in foods I know are bad for me, because I just haven't had the determination to stick to my diet for the last couple weeks, but I've also been eating healthy foods. I haven't gained any weight. I'm exactly the same as where I was when I stopped dieting.

By your own argument I should be blowing back up to 240 and then some. I'm no exception to yo-yo diets in the past. The difference between then and now is because then I didn't *think* about what I was doing, where as this time I did. I dieted without putting my body into starvation mode, so it's not reacting like it needs to save up for the next famine.
dueeast at 2:31PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
We seem to generally agree that eating healthy and being active contribute to a healthier lifestyle. Most people would probably benefit from being taught in school about healthier food choices and how to be more active, even if they don't traditionally “exercise” (far too many people don't or are burned out).

You seem to have made choices that are healthy and beneficial and I think it's great that it's improved your outlook and how you feel.

The difference between you and others who end up yo-yo'ing is that, although you have chosen some caloric restriction, you have chosen not to go all out in caloric restriction – and you are eating healthy and staying active.

I think what you are advocating and what I am advocating are not so different as to be completely incompatible. We believe in a few different things, based on our experiences but I respect where you're coming from.

kingofsnake
Diet, without knowing what you're doing and over-dieting dangerous, you're aboslutely right. But if you exercize a little common sense in your diet then those negative side effects you mentioned won't occur. I started a diet in April and lost twenty pounds. In the last two weeks I haven't been dieting, but have eating relatively healthy. I had ice cream and like half a bag of cheetos for dinner last night becuase I was short on time. Today I had granola and berries in milk for breakfast, peanut butter on wheat toast, a banana and a salad. So you can see I've resumed “normal eating” I'm indulging in foods I know are bad for me, because I just haven't had the determination to stick to my diet for the last couple weeks, but I've also been eating healthy foods. I haven't gained any weight. I'm exactly the same as where I was when I stopped dieting.

By your own argument I should be blowing back up to 240 and then some. I'm no exception to yo-yo diets in the past. The difference between then and now is because then I didn't *think* about what I was doing, where as this time I did. I dieted without putting my body into starvation mode, so it's not reacting like it needs to save up for the next famine.
kingofsnake at 2:58PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
dueeast
We seem to generally agree that eating healthy and being active contribute to a healthier lifestyle. Most people would probably benefit from being taught in school about healthier food choices and how to be more active, even if they don't traditionally “exercise” (far too many people don't or are burned out).

You seem to have made choices that are healthy and beneficial and I think it's great that it's improved your outlook and how you feel.

The difference between you and others who end up yo-yo'ing is that, although you have chosen some caloric restriction, you have chosen not to go all out in caloric restriction – and you are eating healthy and staying active.

I think what you are advocating and what I am advocating are not so different as to be completely incompatible. We believe in a few different things, based on our experiences but I respect where you're coming from.

I used to agree alot more with what you claim than I do currently. I used to believe in the almighty power of my slow metabolism. Alot of what you're saying is partly true, and is entirely true in cases of extreme dieting (which oddly enough is the most common kind of diet). It's just if you do it right, if you don't let your body go into starvation mode in the first place, then those negative after effects of starvation never occur.

The problem isn't that kids aren't being taught healthy choices early on, it's that they're allowed to develop unhealthy habits despite what they're being taught. People generally know what's good for them and what isn't. Sometimes they allow themselves to be fooled, but almost instinctually they know. It's a matter of getting into the right habits
dueeast at 3:29PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
It is true that you can present the information in the best possible manner and people can (and do) still make the choice not to use that information or think it “isn't for them.”

By the way, I don't believe in using metabolism (or anything else) as an excuse for making poor choices. :)

kingofsnake
The problem isn't that kids aren't being taught healthy choices early on, it's that they're allowed to develop unhealthy habits despite what they're being taught. People generally know what's good for them and what isn't. Sometimes they allow themselves to be fooled, but almost instinctually they know. It's a matter of getting into the right habits
FreakGamer at 4:00PM, July 31, 2007
(online)
Thats just stupid. I for one being a fat male know this is stupid and have proof that this is false.

I have hung out with the same people day after day for the last few years. In our group we have two fat kids. Myself and another. None of us have changed. No one got fat. None of the skinny people gained weight. If anything a few of them got skinnier. These are just ignorant people trying to stop fat people.

Secondly what the hell is wrong with being fat. I am a fat nerd I know what it feels like to not be accepted by people. People just don't get it. Sure I may be fat but that doesn't mean I don't do anything. I have never let my obesity get the better of me. I play sports like anyone my age. Fat people aren't always the same and we don't implant our eating style on to others. In fact to be truthfully honesty when me and my friends go out the skinny people eat a lot more than the fat people. While everyone else gets large meals from burger king we will get the small ones.

Ugh sorry for the rant but ignorant people against fat people just piss me off. God these people remind me of people screaming about the Arian race. It's like the whole world changed and they need someone knew to attack because they have to be politically correct to others.

:mumbles under breath:rat bastards and their ignorant ways

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
lefarce at 7:34PM, July 31, 2007
(offline)
I'm only 117 lbs, and very underweight for my height and age. All my friends are the same… way… OH MY GOD, this is all their fault! They made me skinny due to their evil skinny ways!

I needs me some fat friends! PQ for details. Time to get chubby!

Man, even I think that's bigoted.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM
marine at 3:12PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
I'm about 230-240 lbs right now. Not exactly a fat guy, but I work out everyday. Generally I date bigger girls, they seem to have better personalities and are more willing to spend money on me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
mapaghimagsik at 5:17PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Could it be that for people who are heavy because they don't get enough exercise that their friends also enjoy the same sedentary past times?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Ladyknight17 at 11:09PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(online)
Okay…what I was trying to say is that every persons body is different for different reasons. So yes, because I unfortunately was unable to eat healthy in the past I gained. It was worded poorly. What I meant was because of my formerly bad eating habits my metabolism is not where it should be. My body doesn't burn fat as fast as it should. And despite my now very active lifestyle I don't lose weight. Well…I take that back, I have lost quite a bit, but not at a fast rate, it's taken me years. And yes I eat healthy now.

But I am very happy with who I am now. I like being the way I am. I'm just so tired of people relating my size with my place in society. I don't have any interest in losing weight or dieting. Eating healthy and being active, yes. But starving myself to try and fit into someone else's idea of how I should look, no. And the thought that someone is out there saying “Don't be friends with fat people or else you'll be fat too” disgust me.

I've dealt with my weight my whole life. I was made fun of at school, dealt with cruelty and insults, had things thrown at me, all because society views large people like some sort of diseased creatures who have no place amongst decent folk. The most recent incident involved me and my husband in the mall siting in the food court drinking shakes. He got up to throw his away, and while he was gone a group of teenage boys a few table down started making pig calls at me. They shouted at me that I should be embarrassed to go out of my house, and started throwing fries at me. By the time my husband got back I was in tears and the boys where long gone.

For whatever the reason a person is large, they should be treated like less of a person because of it. Thats my point. We're people. And things like that just encourage the already cruel treatment many of us receive.

Tired of messing with a banner. Just visit the comic at…

www.drunkduck.com/red_poems/
Thanks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
TitanOne at 1:18PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
dueeast
We seem to generally agree that eating healthy and being active contribute to a healthier lifestyle.

Actually I don't. I think being physically active is the only adjustable key factor. And that isn't going to maximize weight loss or change your body type, but it works better, and is much more healthy, than any form of calorie-restrictive dieting.

We also don't know what “healthy eating” is…aside perhaps from eating green plants and fish, and even that's just a wild guess. In fact, some of the fattest animals in nature live on green plants and fish. For example, hippos, manatees, bears, and whales consume a diet that would proudly receive the stamp of approval of the American Heart Association.

I agree with LadyKnight17 that “every persons' body is different for different reasons”. Which is to say that people, as well as animals, are different shapes and sizes because of nature. And they can be healthy at different sizes naturally. I believe this is especially true with women.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
ozoneocean at 5:20PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
TitanOne
I agree with LadyKnight17 that "every persons' body is differe
Someone
nt for different reasons". Which is to say that people, as well as animals, are different shapes and sizes because of nature. And they can be healthy at different sizes naturally. I believe this is especially true with women.
I think this is a general misconception and becomes a bit of an excuse… It negatively reinforces a defeatist mindset when it comes to healthy living- “Oh, this is just the way I am, I can't change”. I believe this because if what you say is true, then the natural body types of people 50 years ago, 100 years ago, and further are completely different to what we have today. I don't believe evolution works that fast in humans or at all in that particular case.

Yes, there were some bigger people in the past, but a vastly smaller percentage than today. People haven't changed biologically, all that has changed are two things: Activity and energy intake. The amount of energy in food today has increased and people are eating far, far more. It's such a simple equation, and we can look for comparison at societies where not as much food is regularly consumed: in many African countries people are vastly different, this isn't brought about by “genetics” because we can see the wealthy and more prosperous are just as big as their Western Counterparts.

Basically, we eat more than we've ever done before. ;)

The reason for hippos and elephants being the size they are IS determined by there biology and not necessarily their food intake. To address the topic though, I agree with this:
mapaghimagsik
Could it be that for people who are heavy because they don't get enough exercise that their friends also enjoy the same sedentary past times?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved