Media Megaforum

Realistic or Hollywood fighting?
kyupol at 7:43PM, March 10, 2006
(online)
What kind of fight scenes do you enjoy more? Realistic streetfights (also includes mixed martial arts) where the whole mechanics of the fight doesnt have any of those obvious flashy choreography…

or the ones with all the flashiness, bullet dodging, DBZ martial arts?
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
ozoneocean at 7:59PM, March 10, 2006
(online)
I only like fight scenes in Bollywood, Japanese or Hongkong movies. Real fighting is booring and hollywood fight is cheap.

This needs to be moved to the animation and movies section!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
ccs1989 at 7:13AM, March 11, 2006
(online)
I think that animation action sequences is a whole different genre, because live actors make things look fake that could look completely real in animation (someone jumping six feet vertically for example).

But yeah, I like over the top comic-style fight scenes.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
warofwinds at 9:47AM, March 11, 2006
(offline)
I despise hollywood fight scenes. Growing up in a family obsessed with the martial arts, I only use street-style/MMA in the comic. If it wouldn't work in real-life, i don't use it. Fights are therefore dirtier and shorter. I also hate it when comics have 10 or pages of one fight. It makes the story lag, especially when it's updated bi/weekly. Who wants to wait weeks before story actually progresses? It make look flashly, but only rarely is it not boring.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
ccs1989 at 11:24AM, March 11, 2006
(online)
warofwinds
I despise hollywood fight scenes. Growing up in a family obsessed with the martial arts, I only use street-style/MMA in the comic. If it wouldn't work in real-life, i don't use it. Fights are therefore dirtier and shorter. I also hate it when comics have 10 or pages of one fight. It makes the story lag, especially when it's updated bi/weekly. Who wants to wait weeks before story actually progresses? It make look flashly, but only rarely is it not boring.

:(

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
marine at 8:22PM, March 11, 2006
(offline)
You guys fail for not knowing American movies.

Everyone of you go rent They Live today. He only I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And was all out of bubblegum.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Coydog at 9:42PM, March 11, 2006
(online)
For me, a good rule of thumb is that a one-on-one fight should not take more than two or three weeks' worth of installments, provided you are going at a M-W-F pace. Not too long ago I did an extended scene with a couple of cavalry soldiers doing a demonstration fight on horseback. If you think a fight with just humans is challenging, wait till you have to add horses into the equation…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
Ian Jay at 10:56AM, March 12, 2006
(offline)
I dunno. A little showiness is nice, but too much and the whole thing gets ridiculous. I agree with warofwinds in that fight scenes should be quick, realistic, and, most of all, not a distraction from the actual story. Besides, sometimes real-life fighting can look more dangerous than show-fighting; if you see Jet Li flip over an eight-foot-high wall and punch a guy's face in with his left ear, then you're like, “Oh. Huh. Wow.” But if you see two six-year-olds on a playground grappling and tugging hair and swinging tiny fists like crazed rabid mongeese, then you're like, "Oh my God, they're gonna kill each other!"

Also, why are fights in movies, comics, etc. usually evenly matched? Why don't you ever see two fighters enter the ring or abandoned warehouse or whatever, smoke stirring at their feet, birds circling around them, and they lunge for each other, only to have one of them whale the living bejeezus out of the other? You never see that, yet that's usually what ends up happening in real life, in my experience. (And man, have I had experience…)

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
ccs1989 at 11:19AM, March 12, 2006
(online)
That does happen in comics, but it's over too fast for the audience to really remeber it. They only remeber the long fights.

SarahN at 12:06PM, March 12, 2006
(online)
Hm…how about a good balance of both? That's probably what I'm going to try and do with my comic….sort of. (That mixed with vampish freakyness.)

Personally I have a fondness for the Kill Bill fights. Like the Crazy 88 fight, the Bride may have kicked serious ass, but she wasn't invincible; she still got hurt. I like that. It made it more tense and realistic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
magickmaker at 12:39PM, March 12, 2006
(offline)
SarahN
Hm…how about a good balance of both? That's probably what I'm going to try and do with my comic….sort of. (That mixed with vampish freakyness.)

Personally I have a fondness for the Kill Bill fights. Like the Crazy 88 fight, the Bride may have kicked serious ass, but she wasn't invincible; she still got hurt. I like that. It made it more tense and realistic.

I agree. I'm trying to make my fights scenes realistic, even though they involve witches and sirens and stuff. I've had a fight scene where my main character gets knocked out at the very begining of a fight. If three guys rush you, and you're a normal peron, you get knocked out. Or killed.

Still, if it's a fight between a demi-god and demon king, you have to expect it to be a little less realstic. Meh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
kyupol at 10:11PM, March 12, 2006
(online)
I'm a fight addict. For some reason… I dunno if it is inborn or genetic… I get really really excited whenever I see a fight. I feel good almost to a degree comparable with the “high” you get in drugs.

Whether it is choreographed or a real one. Whether it is between people, or man vs animal or animal vs animal. I dont care. A fight is a fight and I think it is cool. Especially if it is between evenly matched fighters. If you are evenly matched, the fight takes longer.

I also do a bit of backyard sparring and//or grappling with a few friends… or with my brother. Everytime I get hit on the face, ribs, or get stunned a bit, I get even more excited… and I'm like… BRING EM ON!!! Yea that hobby got me hurt a bit. Like I popped my lower lip one time and sprained my wrist cuz he didnt hear me tapout that I had to scream. Tryin to be careful tho and tryin our best not to hurt or get hurt. And yea we use gloves and protective equipment. Dont wanna get into any trouble with the law…

I'm a big fan of fights. I paid $70 for a year of subscription in an internet website that has 1000s of fight videos that could take you months to finish watching if you are a jobless bum glued on the computer screen…… and I'm not a jobless bum. I gotta go to work too…

I'm a big fan of fights. If your comic got lots of fights, 90% chance that I like it.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 8:35AM, March 14, 2006
(offline)
Mortal Kombat… now that was a good movie! Damn…. good fighten….. and i want to know some thing but i'll ask l8tor…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Jillers at 1:58PM, March 17, 2006
(offline)
I must be the only person that likes sword fights. And in that case, I loved the fencing scene from Princss Bride.

To me it's the difference in lightsaber fights in SW vs. it's prequels. Sure, the animation and effects look a lot cooler, but I totally prefer the basic hardcoeness of the originals - like when Luke went ballistic trying to kill Vader in Episode VI. I may be the only person to use the terms hardcore and gritty re: lightsaber fights, but- dang! Without the special effects it's less about the swords and the moves and more about the actualy conflict.

I also adore Jackie Chan movies - which is that mix of martial arts/choreography (him having been trained in Chinese Opera and all)… until he started using wires… *siigh*

Though, to take it in a case by case basis, when a movie calls for special effects, such as The Matrix, then a realistic fight woudln't look right - unless a person can slow down time and dodge bullets like that, or jump 20 feet in the air.

As far as comics/tv series go… Not my thang - thoguh 5 years ago, when I was really into DBZ (oh, what a silly 16 year old I was) I thought it was cool - now I don't have the attention span.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Eggbert at 2:03PM, March 17, 2006
(offline)
I remember both Pirates of the Carribibean and The Count of Monte Cristo has some pretty awesome sword fights.

I just like a good fight, personally. The more over the top the better for me, but then again, it also depends on the movie. So, whatever! As long as it's good!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
ozoneocean at 8:21PM, May 28, 2006
(online)
Did someone say princess bride? Those were great fight scenes! Loved ‘em. Sword fights are great. The fighting in Conan the Barbarian was good too, not as good, but good.
That French film Brotherhood of the Wolf had one single good fight scene at the start that was made awsome by the atmosphere of the whole thing: Beautiful long coats buttoned up high and sodden with rain, lovely tricorn hats, rain flying of spinning quarterstaves, lovely green French countryside…
The rest of the movie wasn’t very good. :(

The sword fighting in Erol Flyn's Robin Hood was good for a massed fencing scene. But fencing with longswords as if they were rapiers is bizare, and he bends his sword at the end of the fight, which was a mistake.

I had a short fight scene in the last few pages of Pinky TA. That was fun to plan out. I just tried hard to make sure it was sexy. :-D

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved