Media Megaforum

Recomend me some good progressive rock albums.
WiffleBall at 5:12PM, March 28, 2010
(offline)
Sup DD.

I've been into progressive rock lately, mostly of the 1970s variety. Anyone know any good albums for the genre? Thanks in advance.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
EssayBee at 8:03PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
For modern-day prog rock, heard anything by Transatlantic? They're one of the modern prog supergroups (composed of members from big prog bands). Good technical playing, long songs, lots of timing changes, and nice melodies. Their second album (Bridge Across Forever) is my favorite, but all 3 studio albums are good.

Dream Theater is my favorite band (and I'm sure you've probably heard of them). I haven't heard an album of theirs that I didn't like (although I must admit their latest album is probably their weakest). Lots of good prog rock and prog metal (and their live shows are killer). If you don't like prog metal, steer away from “Train of Thought” (their heaviest album). “Images and Words” and “Octavarium” are more rock than metal, but “Images and Words,” “Awake,” and “Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory” may be their most technically intricate albums, although everything they do is highly technical.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Air Raid Robertson at 7:53AM, March 31, 2010
(online)
One of my favorite prog bands is probably Can. They have a reputation for being inaccessible, but if you're into jazz fusion bands like Return to Forever or Bitch's Brew-era Miles Davis they should be a pleasant experience. “Tago Mago” is a pretty good starter album for them.

King Crimson is another really obvious choice. If you haven't gotten around to them yet you should begin with either “In The Court of the Crimson King” or “Red”.

Pink Floyd is easily the most successful of the prog bands. I won't bother endorsing any of their more famous numbers like “The Wall”, “Wish You Were Here”, or “Dark Side of the Moon”. If you want an interesting Floyd album that hasn't been played into the ground by classic rock radio I'd go with “Saucerful of Secrets”.

Out of all the modern prog bands I steer towards The Mars Volta. And, out of their discography my preference would probably be “Amputechture”.

Another good modern band that may fall under the prog banner is The Flaming Lips. It's difficult for me to pick a favorite out of their back catalog, but for a first timer I think “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” would be a good move.

If you don't mind your prog having a strong portion of heavy metal in it I would also recommend Mastodon. Their most accessible album is likely their most recent one. (“Crack the Skye” )
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
elektro at 12:35PM, March 31, 2010
(online)
Green Carnation's “Light of Day, Day of Darkness” is a good one to check out. Of course, there is Rush, but that goes without saying.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ozoneocean at 2:52PM, March 31, 2010
(online)
70's prog albums… Two of my faves are Octopus by Gentle Giant and Fuchsia by Fuchsia.

Octopus has a lot of cool tacks on it. The first one is based on a story by Rabelais of two giants meeting and becoming friends. It's a beautiful song,
Knots is an interweaving knotted musical madrigal.
Dog's life is a great little funny song about a horrible but lovable roadie that sounds as if i's about a poor stray dog.

Fuchsia was the only real album by Fuchsia. There's a lot of classical influence there, A lot of strings. The songs were based on Mervin Peak's Gormengast trilogy. They're all pretty beautiful sounding and very accessible.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved