Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Regarding warning system (PLEASE READ)
Black_Kitty at 9:42AM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
As a lot of you may know (some more intimately then others,) DrunkDuck has a warning system. We also used to have a separate account for the forum and the site.

We're still discussing the warning system and issues of suspension/banning but for now, I just want you guys to know that while the same warning system is still in place, its effects would be far greater since the forum and site accounts have now merged.

Basically, if your warning percentage hits above 100%, you are banned until the percentage drops. It takes one day to drop one percent. Although we do have a set number for certain offenses, we are also free to adjust that set percentage based on our judgement.

So the bottomline is unless the warning system changes, if your percentage level hits above 100%, you are banned from both the site AND the forums. There is no longer a separate system for each.

Again as always, if you have any concerns then you're most welcomed to send a personal quack to one of us admins. We're the people with the yellow highlights under our avatar. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
SpANG at 7:59PM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
I'd also like to add that your warning can go up as high as seen fit. So for a truly offensive person, that has been trouble over an over, we may cet the warning to 110%, 150%, heck, even 1000%. You would still only lose 1% every day.

Admins do not set the percentages that high unless it's discussed within the admin group.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
subcultured at 11:10AM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
now that's cool
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Rich at 11:18AM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
Wow, since you can set percentages, can you make mine %30 percent? Nothing makes someone look like a badass more than having a high warning.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Rich at 2:09PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
Thanks. I just had to be the first person to go out of their way to request a warning ratio for no reason.
skoolmunkee at 3:15PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(offline)
Nah, you weren't the first. You were just the first who made it into a big deal.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Comicmasta at 3:33PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(offline)
O_o wait does this mean no more swearing…….there is no way im going to start saying “Gee willikers” or “Dandy”, Please dont add my percentage up for swearing, i cant help it T_T.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Vaoni at 3:47PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(offline)
SpANG
I'd also like to add that your warning can go up as high as seen fit. So for a truly offensive person, that has been trouble over an over, we may cet the warning to 110%, 150%, heck, even 1000%. You would still only lose 1% every day.

Admins do not set the percentages that high unless it's discussed within the admin group.

I wonder what someone would have to do to get 1000% percent O.o

- Updated! 1.10.06
“You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? ”Hey man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
BigFishComic at 5:31PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(offline)
oh my. no swearing?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Rich at 5:33PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
Wait… I can't say fuck anymore???
Ronson at 6:19PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
I don't think we need to be the swearing police. If that were a prerequisite, we'd have an autoblock on certain words.

But personal attacks, disrespectful comments and outright threats will increase your warning level.

I'd advise against testing the system (as many of you will be tempted to do) because the result could be the banning from the entire Drunk Duck system…if all the admins agree that that's the only thing we can do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Black_Kitty at 7:11PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
I just want to make it clear that this isn't something new. A lot of you may not know about this which is probably a good sign since that means you never had to deal with being automatically banned. (We had this warning system up for a long while now. I guess we just never really talked about it in great length.) And as Ronson had said, we're not the swearing police.

What IS new is that the impact of the warning system has now extended to the forums. Since we're still using the warning system as it is, there is no way we could ban you from the forums but not from the site (or vice versa.)
Black_Kitty at 8:16PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
The only people who can give out warnings are the admins. So no worries, getting muted or having your comment reported on in itself won't impact your warning level. :) They can report all your comments if they wanted to but until we actually assign a warning, it has no impact on you whatsoever.

While I'm at it, the karma system have nothing to do with the warning system. Neither do the number of bad comments that you have. There may be times when I want to remove a comment but I don't want to assign any warning percentages either so I simply put it down as a bad comment (it doesn't necessarily mean it's actually a BAD comment…just that that's what the system would call it.)
Neilsama at 8:19PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(offline)
Black_Kitty
Basically, if your warning percentage hits above 100%, you are banned until the percentage drops. It takes one day to drop one percent. Although we do have a set number for certain offenses, we are also free to adjust that set percentage based on our judgement.
So it's kinda like AOL Instant Messenger. You get a little time out if the total cumulative warnings exceeds a percentage of 100%.

I was kind of surprised today that someone had actually acheived a percentage of well over 200.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Knuckles at 10:23PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(offline)
so do the warnings go up automatically when you misbehave? or is it something the Admins issue out? o.O

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Rich at 10:42PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
Knuckles
so do the warnings go up automatically when you misbehave? or is it something the Admins issue out? o.O

You can actually request higher warning levels if you are awesome like me. And yeah, only the admins can dish out upped warnings. It's not automated.
skoolmunkee at 11:48PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(offline)
Actually, ages ago I'm sure I wrote a newspost with the details about the warning system, it may have been the first or second newspost after DD came back up from the crash. I think there is a Help forum topic about the same thing. So the information has been there. Since warnings seem to be visible to people now though (at least on the forums, not sure about on comics) maybe it will be more in people's minds.

Admins can manually give someone a warning if they want, but I don't think we do that kind of thing too often. However since the forums are now part of the regular DD accounts we might end up doing that kind of thing more if we think people are being abusive on the forums.

Being abusive in comic comments kind of takes care of itself. If someone reports your comment, it goes into a queue that we check through our administration panel. We can choose “okay” “bad” “bad-rude” or “bad-snipe”. “Okay” comments get sent back to the page where they came from, where the person can mute them if they want but not re-report them. “Bad” is for spam and for comic owners who have reported their own comments (like if they said something they changed their mind about or whatnot). “Okay
and ”bad“ have no penalties in the warning system.

”Bad-rude“ is where someone has been abusive. Getting your comment marked bad-rude will net you an automatic 10% warning. Sometimes this is outright, but other times it IS for swearing, or for a rude criticism. A comment like ”OMG ur comic is bad, don't mix bits u fag“ would be bad-rude…. although there IS kind of a legitimate critique in there, the person wasn't being respectful about it. We get a LOT of comments that are reported in this vein - maybe they're reported originally because the person doesn't want the criticism on their page, but if the wording is rude, abusive, or has swearing, we'll mark it bad or bad-rude. Basically, every comic owner has the right to not have abuse, rudeness, or profanity on their page. I've had to ‘bad-rude’ otherwise perfectly good comments because they used the word ‘damn’ … so in a way, sometimes we DO have to look at language. But not in casual use, just in comments. Any reported comment that contains a swear word we'll toss.

The last one is ”bad-snipe“ which is a vote of 1, with no attempt at helpful criticism. Personally I look for at least a sentence. To reference the above example, ”your comic is bad - 1“ would be a bad-snipe. ”Don't mix bits - 1" would get an okay. Getting your comment marked bad-snipe is an automatic 20%.

So when you see people with an 80% or something, it usually means they've been rude 8 times or something like that. Someone with a sudden 150% usually went on a sniping spree.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
shadowmaster at 7:33PM, Oct. 4, 2006
(online)
I like that you can see people's warning levels now.
“Gliding through moonlight and smashing the boundaries as hellfire falls from the sky”
-Dragonforce
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
skoolmunkee at 8:46AM, Oct. 5, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
I want my warning at 80%. :)
Don't be makin' work for us man. T_T
IT'S OLD BATMAN

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon