Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

rejected art styles
Demonik at 3:54PM, Oct. 26, 2008
(offline)
Yeah. I used quite a few art styles when i first began drawing and even considered some for use in my comics. But as of deciding to make a comic, I stuck to the one style I was comfortable with and have been developing for a while. This picture shows three of the art styles I rejected and the current one I'm using for comparison. I was wondering what all of you thought about them and if anyone had any tips.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
NickGuy at 4:27PM, Oct. 26, 2008
(online)
i dont want to sound mean.

those all look like the same style with minor changes.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Demonik at 4:30PM, Oct. 26, 2008
(offline)
NickGuy
i dont want to sound mean.

those all look like the same style with minor changes.

loz. honestly, probably. The first two are my attempts at stick-figure art, which I never used before and the first is that ever popular anime/manga art I've so butchered. While the third is basically el-oh-el line-art. But it can be considered an art style, right?
NickGuy at 7:02PM, Oct. 26, 2008
(online)
i say they look like the same style because they are all waist up shots. and all anime style.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Demonik at 9:16PM, Oct. 26, 2008
(offline)
NickGuy
i say they look like the same style because they are all waist up shots. and all anime style.

The current one counts as anime style? Everyone said cartoonish… And the reason why two of them are waist-up shots is because I didn't want the picture to be any bigger then it is. Plus it's just a quick little thing and quite honestly, when I asked for tips I didn't think someone would say they all look alike when quite obviously the first drawing is my pathetic attempt at drawing the anime/manga style. The head is different and body.

The stick figure style is obviously barely a waist-up shot. More like knee-up, the only thing that's the same in all three is the hair and as I count styles I mean such as the stick figure, line art(The third picture) both of which are drawn/made different aside from hair and eye style maybe. The manga/anime style is much the same(First picture or square if you'd like), eyes and hair. But the differences between the four are different if you look for three seconds.

But allow me. Anime/Manga, first picture: nose, eye, mouth, body, hair are different.

Stick figure: …Well that's obvious.

Line art: Similar to current style but obviously isn't as good though cleaner.

Current style: Body is different from manga/anime, eye is different, hair is also different. Also, Lack. Of. Nose and the mouth doesn't have the line below it to show the slight indentation below the bottom lip.

Forgive me if I've said too much but. Though they look similar the styles counted are different in their own ways. Though waist-up, the lower bottom will basically be the same except for the difference in footwear and how those are drawn. The hands would have also been drawn different as seen in current style picture and stick figure picture.

I hope that helped and will draw attention away from my lack of drawing skills and waist-below shots. Thank you.

Oh, and just because all have a hint of anime/manga inspiration, doesn't make them all the same.
mlai at 2:27AM, Oct. 29, 2008
(online)
I guess what you want are tips?

I think that while you're still learning art fundamentals, you need to try drawing realistic art. Abstract-leaning art such as manga/anime/cartoon styles… they stunt your growth because you're not learning how to draw real people. Even if your preferred art style leans towards the abstract, you still need to learn how to draw realistically. Otherwise it shows.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Demonik at 2:37AM, Oct. 29, 2008
(offline)
mlai
I guess what you want are tips?

I think that while you're still learning art fundamentals, you need to try drawing realistic art. Abstract-leaning art such as manga/anime/cartoon styles… they stunt your growth because you're not learning how to draw real people. Even if your preferred art style leans towards the abstract, you still need to learn how to draw realistically. Otherwise it shows.

Dah yes, that was basically what I was looking. And sorry about my long rant there. Last 5 or 6 months haven't exactly been all that nice to me. Just wanted to move from the “your art sucks.” that I already know. But yes, you're right thank you. It's just my skills lie in writing not drawing so, it's why I've done such a terrible job.
ozoneocean at 3:21AM, Oct. 29, 2008
(online)
They show a progression to me. I can see the styles getting better. :)

All I can say is keep going, you're doing well. Mlai has good advice, as usual; realistic style stuff will probably help, but don't lose track of your abstract skills.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Demonik at 5:16AM, Oct. 29, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
They show a progression to me. I can see the styles getting better. :)

All I can say is keep going, you're doing well. Mlai has good advice, as usual; realistic style stuff will probably help, but don't lose track of your abstract skills.

Ah, thank you. What is progression to you is a step back for me. But I somehow found a middle in all the styles and I ended up with the current one. Right now it's quite flexible and easy to draw, simple right now but it works. Thing though, it's limited by own abilities to draw which makes it, eh…newbish.

I was wonder though what you two mean by realistic, do you mean, an actual almost photographic realistic or, a hand drawn criminal artist or, like, anatomy-realistic or what have you? Still-life or model drawing or…there is a lot of realistic.
ozoneocean at 8:21AM, Oct. 29, 2008
(online)
Photorealism wouldn't be what we'd mean…

I'd say Mlai meant realistic proportions and realistic poses where you can see the weight and balance is right. -That sort of thing. ;)

Not still life model drawings, but an attempt at it. If you try and have a go at drawing real people as they really are it can help you understand how faces work better, how bodies pose… It makes it a lot more natural and easy when you do your more comicy style abstracted figures. Just sketch them as best you can, don't worry about being Michaelangelo or Leonardo da Vinci :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Demonik at 1:16PM, Oct. 29, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
Photorealism wouldn't be what we'd mean…

I'd say Mlai meant realistic proportions and realistic poses where you can see the weight and balance is right. -That sort of thing. ;)

Not still life model drawings, but an attempt at it. If you try and have a go at drawing real people as they really are it can help you understand how faces work better, how bodies pose… It makes it a lot more natural and easy when you do your more comicy style abstracted figures. Just sketch them as best you can, don't worry about being Michaelangelo or Leonardo da Vinci :)

Ah, okay. I think I can quite possibly do that. Might take a while to get for me to get right but. Eventually I think I can.
mlai at 6:58PM, Oct. 29, 2008
(online)
I mean trying to emulate the basic style of good American comic book artists such as Romita, Kirby, Buscema, etc.

Good things about emulating this style:

1. They're basic. What I mean is that the Silver Age comics look doesn't have frills and CG glitz that detract from clarity of art/lines/weight/intent. They're easy to learn from. Fancy painters like Frazetta aren't good to learn from for a beginner. Many modern comics either have too much shininess, or use said shininess to hide the artist's weaknesses, or are contaminated by anime influences.

2. Drawing real life, such as sitting in a park drawing people, is ok but is harder than #1. Because real people aren't muscular, naked, or posing extravagantly for you. When you emulate a comic book character, his muscles are like the marks on a ruler, and his postures are always intended for clarity and impact. Easy to learn from.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved