Debate and Discussion

Religion in education
bravo1102 at 5:49AM, June 11, 2008
(online)
lothar
it should be presented as mythology , because that's what it is .

It should be presented on the same level as mythology, but not described as such. Though prosthyletizing for the Norse religion was fun in my Medieval Studies class. :)

I can just see the parent/teacher conferences if you called it all mythology…
“HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT SOUTHERN BAPTISTS/ISLAM/etc as a MYTH! You're going to Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!Hell! Devil, Satan-spawn! Agent of the Anti-Christ!”

Thank you. Care to peruse my copy of Anton LeVay's Satanic Bible ? Goodbye tenure.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:00PM, June 22, 2008
(online)
Well, seeing as my opinion has already been mentioned several times before in this topic (the general world religions and their cultural impact thing), I think I should add the policy my school, a Catholic one, seems to have adopted for Religious studies:

First of all, while the school is obviously biased toward Catholicism, it isn't as bad as one would think. In Freshman History, we had to learn and memorize various basic points for various ancient religions. The class taught us the history and basic principles of Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Shintoism. Since this was a History class, we naturally focused on the religions that have had the most impact on the world. So the history of Christianity was something that we have all learned. As we got closer to modern times, emphasis on religion slowly vanished, although Islam was covered a bit more when we studied the modernization of the Middle East.

In Religion II, which covered the Old Testament, we learned almost nothing new about Christian doctrine (emphasis on the new here, it was all stuff we already were aware of ) , what we did learn about was quite a bit of information about Judaism, since Christianity started as an offshoot of Judaism.

Also, as a side note, my Biology teacher made it clear to us at the beginning of the class that he was Agnostic and he commonly ask us to forget about what we learned in Religion during his class.

When I go back to school, I'll be a Junior, so I can't say from experience what the rest of my school's attitude toward religion is. I do, however, know for sure that Religion IV is a World Religion course that covers the basics of all the major religions in the world, except of course, Christianity, since we've already had three years of that.

I hope I didn't sound like I was pushing for preaching in Public schools. I really don't care about Religion. My philosophy is to just live life as best as I can, and see what happens when I die. As my Latin teacher put it once; people who go Catholic schools are actually more likely to leave the faith, as they learn what Catholicism is really about, and then it's up to the kid to choose whether or not to keep following that religion.

Anyway, just my two-cents. Carry on.

EDIT:
And now that I look at the date, I realize that this topic is ten days old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
MagickLorelai at 1:39PM, June 23, 2008
(offline)
A bit late to the party here, sorry.

I believe that religion should be taught in school. Not in a “You should believe this!” way but in a “This is what people believe” way. We already have that, to a degree; we have some World Religions courses, in High School and College, but my experience with them has been dissatisfying. A LOT of focus is given to Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, with some minor highlights of Buddhism and Hinduism to balance out the Western with some Eastern. There is little to no exploration of any other religion, and if there is, it's in passing to the more IMPORTANT religions.

So, the reality of it is, if teaching it in school means emphasizing particular religions over others, then I *don't* want religion to be taught in schools. I'd like the information easily available for people who are curious, but religion is such a personal thing that expecting a religion to be taught impartially is impossible.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Orin J Master at 8:53PM, May 30, 2009
(online)
way to ressurect a thread from it's grave there….
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Hawk at 12:59AM, May 31, 2009
(online)
Dojo, PLEEEAAASE stop bringing back old dead topics. This one was nearly a year dead and I'm locking it. It's not like we haven't had ten other threads to talk about religion anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved