Media Megaforum

REMIXES, or: sprite music...
ozoneocean at 9:51PM, June 16, 2006
(online)
Do you hate music re-mixes that take a great song and basically turn it into pure shit? I do. I always have. Remixes exist, as far as I'm concerned, to cheaply extend the use of a song and hopefully milk a bit more cash out of it.

Sometimes a remix will be slightly better, usually when it takes a bad song and improves on it, but that's rare (just like there are great sprite comics out there). I think of remixes as the sprite comics of music, or “sprite music” if you will.

I used to like Armand Van Helden's take of “Professional Widow” by Tori Amos, until I heard the MAGNIFICENT awesomeness of the original… Now I know Armand is just a fucking looser (well at least in that instance).

What got me thinking on this track was a couple of Rammstein “remixes” I just heard. Funnily enough they were called “megamixes”. You see the connection? I believe they were made by Megaman himself, that spritey bastard!
Basically, all the MORON remixer did was shorten each song to two minutes, start them of with the chorus, and had a continuous loop off the foot stamping, clapping, bass drum thump from Queen's “We Will Rock You” over the top of both songs, so all the intricacy (vocal and musical changes mostly), was completely drowned out. Travesty…

Ok. Rant over. Anyone know any good remixes, or maybe just a list of horrible ones?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Terminal at 11:06PM, June 16, 2006
(online)
That album that the Rolling Stones released. A four track album of Sympathy for the Devil remixes.

The concept was great, Fatboy Slim's remix was the greatest. NERD was good but it changed the song too much.

Then I wonder, why the fuck did Moby remix Bitter Sweet Symphony? Did you hear that piece of crap?

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Terminal at 12:48PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
Whoa, sorry to double post. But I just remembered the remix of Electric Avenue. Someone got the brilliant idea of talking Electric Avenue's simple opening and mixing it will the Rolling Stone's Brown Sugar. Then the song weaves in and out of Electric Avenue with Brown Sugar. But relies mostly on the sound of Brown Sugar. Just sounds beautiful, like the songs were meant to be together.

The best remixers out there has got to be a little electronic band called Telefon Tel Aviv.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Garwik at 6:52PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
I remember hearing a techno version of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.
It made my ears bleed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Mazoo at 8:48PM, June 17, 2006
(offline)
I agree with Tater. The Soulchild Remix of 19/2000.

I heard a remix version of a Phantom of the Opera song… whatever that main song it…

Yeah. I think anyone doing a remix version of a broadway play isn't just crap… it's just sad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Ian Jay at 9:09PM, June 17, 2006
(offline)
I personally think the Soulchild remix of “19/2000” was better than the original version. …You heard me. (And Ed Case's version of “Clint Eastwood” was a refix, not a remix. I'm not sure of the difference– perhaps a refix has completely new music dropped to the vocals, while a remix works with the music already there. Who knows? Anyways, Ed Case's refix of the song can be good if taken on its own terms, but it's a little weak when compared with the original.)

As for really bad remixes… last December my mom picked up a CD at the dollar store that was called Christmas Remixes (or something to that effect). It consisted of original recordings of old Yuletide classics– Nat King Cole singing “The Christmas Song”, Bing Crosby singing “White Christmas”, etc.– with thumping bass beats and ridiculously spacey sound effects set to them. Simply… hhhhhoriffic. I don't care if you like or loathe the original versions of these songs, the remixes sounded worse. I re-re-really can't stay, stay, stay… it's kivvi-kivvi-cold outsi-i-ide…

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Hawk at 9:14PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
Ozone, your comparison of shoddy remixes to sprite comics made me laugh! Yeah, I don't typically enjoy remixes. And I don't typically enjoy sprite comics.

Tater Salad
19/2000 Soulchild Remix by Gorillaz is simply the best remix ever.

When Ozone mentioned the rare good remixes, this was the first thing that sprang to my head. Like Ian Jay said, it's actually better than the original. Original wasn't bad though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
SpANG at 9:58PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
Now are we talking about “sampling” or “remakes”?

Sampling is hit or miss for me. For instance, I like most of Will Smith's stuff (I mention WS because he seem to do it mare than most). But there are a lot of lame songs out there, too. See Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer. :?

(IMO) Remakes that sucked (to name a few)- remakers listed:
  • • The Ataris- “Boys of summer” (“Black Flag sticker”?? WTF???)
    • G n R - Live And Let Die
    • Any Britney Spears remake
    • Any Jessica Simpson remake
    • G4 - Bohemian Rhapsody
    • Hilary and Haylie Duff - Our Lips Are Sealed
    • I just heard Cher doing U2's “I still haven found what I'm looking for”.
    Dude, if she hasn't found it by now, she should give the hell up.
    (IMO) Remakes that were better than the Originals (to name a few) - remakers listed:
    • Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
    • Bowie- China Girl
    • Aerosmith - Come Together (Though Beatles version is very close)
    • Joplin - Me And Bobby McGee
    • Van Halen - Oh Pretty Woman
    • Beatles - Twist And Shout
    • Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar
    • James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
    • Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
    • Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
    • Orgy - Blue Monday

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
SpANG at 10:08PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
But those aren't really remixes, SpANG!, those are covers. Remixes are just instrumentals and shit added in to ruin a good song (usually).

Covers are when a completely different person/band redoes a song.

Po-ta-to, Po-tah-to :P

Remixes are sampling. Remakes are Covers.

But yeah, I had a feeling I did it wrong. :oops:

ozoneocean at 9:20AM, June 18, 2006
(online)
Hey yeah, there are some good examples of bad and good here! :-D

Cover versions… That's a whole topic unto itself! There are a lot of bad ones, and a few good ones. Basically almost any cover of a Dylan song usually improves on it. It's sad but true. It's just one of those things…
But his version of knocking on heavens door is still better than the one by Guns and Roses.

Sampling refers more to the process than the product. In a remix they'll usually throw in a few samples as part of it. You might also chuck a few samples into a new song, just to make it “better”… Generally I think of that as plain, low stealing. Vanilla Ice's “Ice Ice Baby” had that lovely intro from Queen's “Under Pressure”. Puff Daddy was good at that, he even worked his way up to vomiting on Kashmir, with the seeming sanction of Jimmy Page.
But it's also a good music making technique. Bands will create their own samples to use in songs. Many even sample during live gigs, and use it during a performance. It's how a lot of one-man-band type musicians are able to perform some brilliant stuff live these days!

“Mash-ups” or whatever are different a again, that's a whole new song made out of a few other ones. Armand’s “Professional Widow” is actually more of a mash-up and so could almost be forgiven because in its own right it’s really a pretty good song, unfortunately it has the same title as the “original” and is also called a Tori Amos remix- and Tori’s version of the song of that title is brilliant, not just good.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
SpANG at 2:19PM, June 18, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
Best sampling ever:

Andrew Dice Clay in “You're Unbelievable”
That's a good'n.

I also like the phrase "pure energy“ from Mr. Spock on ”What's on your mind" (Information society) :D

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved