Debate and Discussion

Repercussions of smothering NFP propaganda in schools?
Will at 5:15AM, June 24, 2008
(online)
'Sup.

I am currently enrolled in a West Australian Catholic school, year 12, only a term from graduating and getting the hell out.

One of the unfortunate prices i have to pay for attending a school in which every second person isn't going to offer me drugs (only other choice i had) we have to take an RE class for 3 periods of the week. Its nothing bad, I'm getting A's in it and its a good time for catching up on my other work.

Today, we had to attend a lecture on NFP; Natural Family Planning… or as normal people call it, the rhythm method of contraception. I walked in expecting a short sex ed class that trys to teach that condoms are the devils socks or some bullcrap, but instead was greeted by a short woman that opened the lecture by casually telling us that she has been bonking her husband for 10 years and has had only one pregnancy, which was completely planned… What did she attribute to this luck? NFP, of course!

After a half hour long powerpoint about the delicious process of ovulation, she ends with the quote of the century “NFP is 98% effective”.

I almost lost it right then and there. NFP has a stupidly high failure rate, and teenaged girls attempting to use it is just going to drive the rate higher. Not only that, but the 5 or so “bed anyone” girls are now going to fuck without a condom, assuring their victim that they aren't ovulating and that its perfectly safe…

We have a follow up lecture tomorrow… I just wanted to know what others thought about this, maybe i can string together a coherent argument and get them to stop lying outright.
Will
putting your own quote into your sig is the post pretentious and pathetic thing anyone could ever do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
DAJB at 5:58AM, June 24, 2008
(online)
I'd just look out of the window and let them get on with it (especially if you're in a Catholic school!) You're certainly not going to win the argument here and I doubt anyone else in the class is going to be any more convinced than you are, anyway.

The reality is, you can prove anything with statistics and I'm sure this lady has dozens of studies which appear to support her figures. The only statistic you can rely on is for total abstinence. Proven to be 100% effective as far as I'm aware.
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 6:00AM, June 24, 2008
(online)
Get one of those male contraceptive pills and bed one of the 5 girls :)
Or all 5? ^_^

Poor bloke. I went to a Catholic school for grade one and never after that! I wanted to be in public school and that's where I went. My parents wanted to send me to a private school or an independent, but I simply didn't want that. Even when my sister went to one. And drugs were never a problem, nor was anything else; drink, drugs, violence, sex etc… That stuff happens more on T.V. than in the reality of any particular type of school. In my experience.

——————
As for this natural planned parenting stuff. There's solid logic to it, women aren't made like bombs that are just waiting to burst out pregnant at the first touch of sperm from anywhere and at any time at all. Fertility goes through cycles, just like with any animal or plant, or fungal species :)
Humans are fertile a bit more than usual though… and you're right, that it's a bit complicated to manage to make sure of all the time.

The biggest danger though is the spread of STDs. That's the thing condoms are best at preventing. Anything that undermines their use by young people isn't a great thing.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
HippieVan at 1:16PM, June 24, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
And drugs were never a problem, nor was anything else; drink, drugs, violence, sex etc… That stuff happens more on T.V. than in the reality of any particular type of school. In my experience.

At my school the only one of those that is really a problem is drugs. Almost all the kids do soft drugs. But I think that's more a city-wide problem than just in my school.
Some guy in my friend's school threatened their principal with a crowbar a while back, though.

ozoneocean
The biggest danger though is the spread of STDs. That's the thing condoms are best at preventing. Anything that undermines their use by young people isn't a great thing.

That's exactly what I was going to say. :)
Even if your school, being religious, doesn't agree with condoms, they should definitely still promote them as a way of avoiding STDs if these kids are going to sleep around anyways.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
freefall_drift at 4:26PM, June 24, 2008
(online)
Someone
The only statistic you can rely on is for total abstinence. Proven to be 100% effective as far as I'm aware.
Well, once in a rare while, the woman still gets pregnant. Ask Mary.

Will, I don't think it will do any good and arguing with her will only get you in trouble. People like that are not reality based. I have the same problem with an arch conservative acquaintance. I have tried again and again to show him the fact about the bush administration and neo conservatives and the fact roll off him like hot oil off Teflon.

Best just to smile, get an A, and get out of the class. Pick your battles. Save the truth speech for your own kids, and don't bother trying to change her.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
crazyninny at 8:08PM, June 24, 2008
(online)
freefall_drift
Someone
The only statistic you can rely on is for total abstinence. Proven to be 100% effective as far as I'm aware.

OH, now that was just so freaking evil! XD

But pretty much, I don't think you can do anything in this case, other than to hope that your class mates aren't that stupid and use some common sense.

Oh wait… We'er teenagers…

I once did preach to my fellow classmates that we need to have a specific class to teach common sense. If we had a class like that, I'm sure kids would start to THINK before they ACT.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
kyupol at 10:36PM, June 24, 2008
(online)
Just pull out at the last moment. Its about mind over matter. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
StaceyMontgomery at 5:21AM, June 25, 2008
(offline)
The technical term for people who use NFP (which includes Kyupol's technique) is Parents.

This is the sort of open Stupidity that makes people like me so hard on religion. Whenever this sort of topic comes up, i have to take a deep breath, count to 10, and remind myself that many of the smartest people i have ever met were deeply religious.

It's not religion that makes people stupid - it's just that stupid people are really stupid about religion.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
bravo1102 at 5:47AM, June 25, 2008
(online)
kyupol
Just pull out at the last moment. Its about mind over matter. :)

Doesn't always work. There is semen secreted by the male before ejaculation. Just having oral sex would be much more effective.

NFP works better than nothing, but sounds like your teacher had very regular cycles which made it effective. Many women don't so it won't always work. If you plan to bounce from bed to bed I would not recommend NFP because the odds will catch up to you. Use something just a bit more effective like a condom or make sure each of your partners is religiously using birth control etc.

Some women are also more fertile than others.

As far as Mary, the original texts of the Gospels indicate that she may have been merely “young woman Mary” not “Virgin Mary”. A virgin birth is one of those things often attributed to the mother of a messiah figure. Christianity happens to be one of more successful ones. Comparative religion can take all the belief out of faith. :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Aurora Moon at 6:12AM, June 25, 2008
(offline)
while “virgin births” are possible, (as seeing it's been documented in captive female animals who didnt mate with any males due to the lack of one, and not to meition the techology today), the chances of that happening in humans naturally are highly unlikely.

That aside… I have to agree that “Natural family planning” is certainly not for everyone. While that method may work for some females and males, the surefire way to ensure that such methods are “100%” is if you actually combine it with other methods of safe sex, such as condoms, etc.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
anonymousposterchild at 7:44AM, June 25, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
while “virgin births” are possible, (as seeing it's been documented in captive female animals who didnt mate with any males due to the lack of one, and not to meition the techology today), the chances of that happening in humans naturally are highly unlikely.

That aside… I have to agree that “Natural family planning” is certainly not for everyone. While that method may work for some females and males, the surefire way to ensure that such methods are “100%” is if you actually combine it with other methods of safe sex, such as condoms, etc.

It's called Parthenogenesis. Don't confuse the issues.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Aurora Moon at 8:08AM, June 25, 2008
(offline)
I knew that, and I wasn't confusing the issues. That part about the so-called “virgin births” was more directed at the people who brought up “Virgin mary”, more than the actual topic at hand. :P

And if you will notice, I also addressed the topic at hand in the second part of my post.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
beautifully_demonic at 10:16AM, June 25, 2008
(offline)
That. Is. So. Stupid!

some girls in my class actually believe in that logic *PALMFACE* !
condoms are really important … I am in a school were liberal thinking is revarded .. I´m athiest and so I am very .. strange in my school since most of the people there are like INSANE religious and some of them believe this … oh my gawd … why am i surrounded by idiots .. but concerning you … just argue¨!! that´s what I do *grin* I argue with the teachers all the time and they actually find it fun !! :D just point out the fact that this does not work all the time for all females or all males !
(\__/) | This is Bunny.
(O.o ) | Copy Bunny into your signature to help
(> < ) | him on his way to world domination!

1f u c4n r34d 7h1s u r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
BffSatan at 10:32PM, June 27, 2008
(online)
This is stupid;
first of all alot of theese girls may still be going through puberty and during puberty girls don't ovulate in a regular pattern.
Secondly 98% is actually pretty crap since even if only one hundred couples had sex like this logicly two would fall pregnant.
Third, it is stupid to everyone to use this method perfectly, there will be mitakes.
there is nothing wrong with condoms and there is no reason why more than one form of contraceptive methods could be used.
i forgot my other point but it was a dam good one…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
bobhhh at 3:02AM, June 29, 2008
(offline)
freefall_drift
Someone

Talk about your dead beat dads, He didn't even lift a finger to save Jesus from the Romans.

What a no show!
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
bobhhh at 3:06AM, June 29, 2008
(offline)
Maggie Estep had a great spoken word piece about implanting unwanted feotuses into the bellies of pro life men.

Fact is most conservatives wail about contraception and abortion and yet the first thing they want to do is cut funding for all those kids produced by failed abstinence and NFP.

Rich folks will always be able to secure birth control and abortion, laws to the contrary are at best people being moral noseybodies and at worst veiled class warfare.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved