Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Replacing white space with ... well, nothing, really.
Marl at 11:41AM, Oct. 5, 2006
(offline)
I've recently started using Inkscape to “trace bitmap” my scanned lineart and produce nice, smooth black and white lineart quickly and painlessly (I'm lazy. So? =D). Problem is, when I export the file later (as, say, a .png), it's exactly that - black and *white* lineart, not blacklineartwithtransparentbitsinbetweenthelines lineart (Not too sure on the technical term for that, sorry. ^^). What I'm looking for is a way to remove the “white bits” so that layers underneath the trace can be viewed (preferably using Photoshop, GIMP or Inkscape), without losing the black lines. Basically, I want to know how to replace white with transparency.

If anybody out there knows how to do this, please help me! ^^
“Rawglrglrglrglrgl!” quoth the murloc, his wrath inflamed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
KAM at 11:42PM, Oct. 5, 2006
(online)
Well… in Photoshop there are 2 ways I would use.

If it's the bottom layer, create a new layer & Select Shadows & fill with black on the second layer.

If it's already a separate layer Select Highlights & delete.

Additionally you could also use the wand to select all the white & delete, but that could take a lot of time & memory depending on how much white space you have.
The KAMics - my cartoons
KAM's Fanart - fanart
KAMics Kast - cast pages
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
kingofsnake at 7:23AM, Oct. 6, 2006
(online)
It depends on what program you use. You should look for some faqs or go to then help tab and look up transparencies on that proogram. Most programs allow you to save pngs or gifs with white as transparent if you know where to look
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
gigatwo at 1:01PM, Oct. 6, 2006
(online)
In gimp:
layer>transparency>color to alpha (make sure it's set to white)

That's strange though, normally when I export lineart from inkscape as a png (traced with the brightness option) it usually has a tranparent background.

Also, the GIMP can open svg files directly (It can only save paths to svgs though).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Marl at 4:30AM, Oct. 8, 2006
(offline)
Thanks very much, all of you. That's helped me a lot. =)
“Rawglrglrglrglrgl!” quoth the murloc, his wrath inflamed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved