Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Resizing
Kirlily at 5:09AM, Dec. 6, 2008
(offline)
So, I just started a comic. Everything going pretty good so far, and better then my other comics went, but I'm having a problem with sizing. I'm really used to that size, so I didn't notice how small it was till someone told me it was REALLY small.

I've been trying to fix it, but nothing been working. I really need help with this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
CharleyHorse at 5:57AM, Dec. 6, 2008
(offline)
Kirlily, we need to know what graphics package you are using in order to give you advice specific to that. For instance, I use the GIMP package and so if I want to resize I open the IMAGE menu and select the Scale Image feature, which in turn allows me to select the pixel width and length of my art work. The width and length are locked together so that if I alter one feature, the other one also alters in correct proportion.

I looked at your pages and your art work is set on 412 pixels by 525. If you only want to go from 412 to about 500 pixel width you should be able to do that without having to re-dialogue your speech bubbles. But if you increase your width and height proportionately much over that you will find that your dialogue is also looking huge. I've made radical size changes in the past and did have to go to the trouble of also redoing the dialogue and also the bubbles to make these smaller in proportion to the size increase of the art work itself.

I hope that some of this is of use to you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Kirlily at 6:13AM, Dec. 6, 2008
(offline)
I'm not very experienced at this. I think my problem starts at the beginning. What I often do is scan my drawings into Manga Studio. I think this is where it is the pixels are set so small.

What pixel ratio should I be using?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
CharleyHorse at 6:47AM, Dec. 6, 2008
(offline)
Understand that we all have different tastes. Why don't you try going up to about 550 pixel width and see how that looks to you? Even at 550 you should be okay with your dialogue size.

Or . . . and here's a trick I've used in the past . . . examine some of your favorite strips or comics and see what sizes those artists are using. Oh, and if you don't know, usually if you right click with your mouse over an art page you will have a menu appear with a Properties option. If you click on that option you will have another box appear that tells you the dimensions of the art work.

Anyway, that's what I've done in the past. Currently my art work is set for a pixel width of 800, but I wouldn't recommend that you move up to that size. Oh, and it may take some experimentation or reading your help file, but I am certain that Manga Studio will give you control over your pixels count, either during a page creation or after the fact.

Oh, one more thing . . . the height of your art page does not matter, as long as you increase or decrease the size proportionately in both dimensions. Anyway, that's why I didn't talk much about the height aspect. People expect to scroll up or down a page. But they do not care much for scrolling both up and down and left to right.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
thoththegrey at 7:22AM, Dec. 6, 2008
(offline)
Some things to remember when it comes to scanning and sizes and such. Relatively general graphic type stuff:

* Always make things larger than they need to be. In general, you don't lose quality when making things smaller but you always lose quality when making things larger. Note, when you make things very small this is no longer true.

* Higher resolutions are better then lower resolutions.

You're working in manga studio, so here's what I recommend. Scan your art at 300 DPI and work at twice the size of your final posted comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Sajomir at 11:24PM, Dec. 27, 2008
(online)
I'd suggest two things if you're using Manga Studio.

First, work on large files, since this program seems to handle them fairly well. I work at 600dpi with page dimensions based off Tokyopop's print standards (7.68 x 5.25 inches), though 300dpi should be plenty if you find 600 too excessive.

Second, when resizing for reb resolution, do NOT do it in Manga Studio. This is something that the program is very poor with. Even when I zoom out to see the larger picture of my page, any toning or non-solid shades get horribly distorted. I'd recommend exporting the files as .psd (photoshop) files, and opening them in any program that can do so. Resize there and save it in your web image format.

If you do go with 600dpi, I find resizing it to about 25% original size turns out decent for web.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
Senshuu at 11:56PM, Dec. 27, 2008
(offline)
Working 600DPI seems kind of ridiculous, especially for the kind of print quality I've seen from things that could not have been any larger than 300 originally.

(Ah, it's just that anything more than 300 seems to kill my computer, both in memory and HD space. I flattened a whole bunch of files recently.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved