Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Resizing in Photoshop?
poonipoonz at 2:32PM, Dec. 30, 2007
(online)
Okay, I just got photoshop elements 6, and i seem to be having problems with it. I make sprite comics, and usually you have to resize sprites in these kinds of comics. Now I used to use GIMP 2.0, and in Gimp, whenever you would resize an object you could choose whether you wanted it to be cubic, linear, or none at all, meaning it would stay pixelated. But now when I resize in Photoshop, I don't get my sprites to stay pixelated. Whenever i resize it, it becomes fuzzy and blurred. Can someone tell me how I can stop photoshop from making my sprites fuzzy whenever i resize them?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Darwin at 10:25AM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
Are you trying to resize it larger or smaller?

The best way to resize and maintain the look of your picture (Now I have photoshop CS…so I don't know if elements is this sophisticated) is to go into the “image” tab on top. There you should find a tool that says “Image Size” Adjust the pixels (maintaining aspect ratio) to the desired size and it should remain in the same quality as what you started with.

If you hightlight and transform scale that is when you have the issues with the softening of edges.

I hope this helps.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
poonipoonz at 2:16PM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
Thanx for the help. It works, but I think it's easier to just stick with GIMP.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Darwin at 2:35PM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
Working outside the comfort zone is GOOD for you! LOL! Glad it worked for you. Whichever gets you the results you want with the quality you're looking for in the time frame you're after!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
albone at 8:50AM, Jan. 3, 2008
(online)
If you're enlarging, the proper way is to reduce the resolution to compensate. You would uncheck Resample Image in the Image Size dialogue box. So ideally, these sprite images are either bigger in dimension than you need or a higher resolution than you need.

That's not always the case, and there's really no good way to enlarge without it getting fuzzy. What you can do though, is increase your image in increments of 10% until you get it to the size you want.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
solarsun at 4:50PM, March 13, 2008
(online)
Ok I know it's kind of cheating but I use a combo of Photoshop CS AND Paint actually. I get the picture the way I want set up in photoshop, then I quickly merge it and copy what I want to enlarge. Going to the history panal I click back one so It's not merged anymore (so I have the layers to still work with).

Then I take paint and I past what I copied in photoshop in there. I either go to Image>stretch/scew or Ctrl+W and resize it to what I need it. After I resize it the way I want I copy it there and bring it back into photoshop and paste it.

Adding word balloons and stuff is the last step in photoshop.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
4Tails at 5:20PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
i do that to lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved