Meet, Greet, Show and Sell*

Returning
rainingbells at 1:47PM, March 27, 2007
(offline)
Usually go by “R.”, have for a little over a decade now, except when I hit a place that has that whole “no nicks under 3 characters” whatnot.

Been doing comics online since 1997, primarily at my own site (which hasn't changed much design-wise…though the art within has improved), and aside from a couple of early bouts of self-promotion for my initial webcomic, I've kept pretty quiet. First popped on DD in 2004 to experiment with the whole hosted community thing as a departure from my usual island unto myself approach, and then the Duck, of course, went blooey. Because I do keep to myself, I didn't even know it was back up until one of the NightGig folks hit my table at MegaCon a couple months ago. He remembered seeing my stuff on DD before, we talked, and so here I am, back again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
subcultured at 3:13PM, March 27, 2007
(online)
welcome back to the duck

a lot of people are returning from that crash, so you're not the only one.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Ozoneocean at 3:25PM, March 27, 2007
(online)
Pretty groovy work in the anime style ^^

Yeah, DD has had a lot of leavers and returners after the annual crashes :)
BUT, after that last really bad one DD has been pretty perfect ever since (well over a year now), but the returnees have taken longer…

So welcome back rainingbells! ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
rainingbells at 5:52PM, March 27, 2007
(offline)
Thank you, Sub. Much appreciated.

ozoneocean
Yeah, DD has had a lot of leavers and returners after the annual crashes :)
BUT, after that last really bad one DD has been pretty perfect ever since (well over a year now), but the returnees have taken longer…

So welcome back rainingbells! ^_^

Yeah. The last thing I saw, IIRC, was Volte saying the backup the host said they were keeping was nonexistant, or something along those lines, and that he just felt whipped by the whole experience. Having lost more than a couple of full or nearly completed projects in my time that absolutely beat me emotionally to begin with, I really felt bad for the guy.

If I'd known DD was back, I would have returned sooner.

ozoneocean
Pretty groovy work in the anime style ^^

I dig anime and manga. It's the damnedest thing, though.

Liked it as a kid, before I knew what it was. Sought it out when mostly it could only be found at one table at a convention, if lucky…fansubs only, but mostly raws off laserdisk.

When I started drawing, my style was closer to realistic. Closer to 80s and early 90s US mainstream, but it didn't allow the range of motion and expression that I wanted, so I switched to a cartoonier style. Began experimenting, pulling from most of the indie comics I grew up reading because I didn't get into Marvel and DC until later, so a lot of my early influences were more Crumb, Reed Waller, Gilbert Shelton, Ron Fontes, Ron Lim (when he was doing the original B everything's a story, an evolution. It often gets in the way of being concise. My bad.

The point being is that on the “comics” boards my work was always “too anime” for them, and on the “manga” boards, my work was always too European. So it's a little strange having that word applied to my art and it being a compliment.

All that said, though, I appreciate your meaning. Don't let my rambling make you think otherwise. o.O;
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
Priest_Revan at 6:36PM, March 27, 2007
(offline)
HI
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon