Media Megaforum

Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin OVAs
Rich at 6:39PM, Oct. 2, 2006
(online)
I just got the Samurai X boxset at best buy. It has both Trust and Betrayel and Reflections on two seperate discs.

All I can say is wow. Trust and Betrayel is the MOST VIOLENT THING I HAVE EVER SEEN! The amount of violence is incredibly shocking and most importantly, cold and brutal. I never imagined the laugh happy Kenshin to be THAT violent. It's almost shocking to see.

And Reflections is sorta like a conclusion to the series. It is so beautiful and sad that I was in tears throughout the whole thing. It is hands down the most solemn end to any story ever. In fact, if you DONT cry during Samurai X:Reflection, you HAVE NO SOUL! It is THAT sad.

So have any of you had the misfortune of not seeing these yet? They've apparently been out for a long time, so make sure you go and buy them, download them, steal them from your otaku buddy, or whatever you must do to see them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
ccs1989 at 12:17PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
I really liked Trust and Betrayal. Hated Reflections though. Kenshin's early life is supposed to be bloody and terrible, but having it end like that to, and having him succumb to disease of all things is such a crap ending. I liked the way the manga ended much better, on a lighter note.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Rich at 2:15PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
Reflection technically isn't canon anyways. And besides, it showed quite clearly that Kenshin is only human.

I guess I can understand your point of view though. Reflection was almost more of a romance than an action thing, so that might have been a turn-off.
ccs1989 at 2:19PM, Oct. 3, 2006
(online)
It also sped through the Jinchu arc much too quickly. >:-(

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
kaminari at 10:50PM, Oct. 4, 2006
(online)
I have a production cel with matching sketch from The first episode of the OVA.
I paid something like $1090 for it and believe me, its so amazingly gorgeous that it was worth every penny.

Here's a link to it in my cel collection gallery if you'd like to see:
http://zenki.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=135921

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Rich at 2:00AM, Oct. 5, 2006
(online)
Oh my god! That is SOOOOOO awesome!
ccs1989 at 4:17PM, Oct. 5, 2006
(online)
kaminari
I have a production cel with matching sketch from The first episode of the OVA.
I paid something like $1090 for it and believe me, its so amazingly gorgeous that it was worth every penny.

Geezus Christ that's a lot of money for an animation cell. I mean, I don't know what those normally go for, but if every scene sold in the $500-1000 range they must have sure covered the costs of production.

kaminari at 4:56PM, Oct. 5, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
Geezus Christ that's a lot of money for an animation cell. I mean, I don't know what those normally go for, but if every scene sold in the $500-1000 range they must have sure covered the costs of production.

Companies rarely sell cels themselves. Most are taken by animators or bought up by companies who resell them and they usually float between collectors. Ive never bought one direct from a production company. Most people get them from Japanese auctions and then from ebay as well. There are a few cel dealer sites to and they get them the same way usually.
Also, a lot of factors go into the price in the collectors community.

Here are some influencing factors:
A. the character - some characters are more desired than others
B. the scene - some scenes like front closeups and action scenes cant fetch more money. My most expensive cel is a closeup of Inu Yasha and Kikyo kissing ($1500)
C. the eyes - If the eyes are open then the price is usually higher
D. the cel sequence - cels done by the key animator are more expensive usually because they are better quality with the most detail. Opening and End sequence cels too.
I have an A1 END cel from Houshin Engi (aka Soul Hunters) which means its the only cel in that sequence.
E. the type of animation - TV cels are usually cheaper while movie and OVA are more due to art quality and scarcity. Opening and Ending sequence cels are pricey too.
F. and finally collectors - sometimes people will pay large amounts for cels they really, really want. I bought a cel once for $110 and resold it for $550.
G. cel size - cels come in many differnt sizes for different scenes.
H. matching sketches and backgrounds - sometimes they come with these and sometimes they dont.

An average cel of Kenshin from any version is around $350 but Ive seen them go as high as $2600.
I paid $500 for my movie cel of Kenshin which is larger than a normal cel and $350 for both of my TV kenshin cels

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved