Debate and Discussion

Sarah Palin .. the devil or just out right scary ?
DAJB at 7:53AM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
When I were a wee lad, my father used to make the observation that there were only three countries in the world governed by women and all three were at war. (Israel and India were two; can't remember the third just now …!)

Some years later, Margaret Thatcher became PM and guess what? The UK went to war against Argentina! (Perfectly justified perhaps, but worth bearing in mind when you consider Palin could end up running the US!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Loud_G at 1:15PM, Oct. 10, 2008
(online)
I'm an independent. Might sound like ‘throwing away my vote’ to some people, but to me, it means I am honest with myself. I cannot in good faith claim either party as representative of me. On many social issues I'm ‘conservative’, yet economically I'm ‘liberal’. As for the war, I'm in the middle.

I'm personally not a fan of either side in this upcoming election. I really would rather we had a completely new set of nominations.

McCain has issues. I don't like Palin. I do not want her to be president. I don't like how the Reps handle money issues.

Obama. I don't like his stance on certain social issues. I do like his economic stance. I fear for how he would handle the war. I want the war to be over as soon as possible, but if Obama goes in and pulls everyone out like them Dems want, it is going to be a fiasco.

This election I feel that the people nominated were chosen because they are people that will get votes. NOT because they are people who can lead a country.

Palin is a perfect example of this. She has very little to offer the presidency in the way of qualifications. Yet, I also think it was a MASTERFUL move on the part of the Reps when they chose her. Why? Because people will vote for her. Not the people in this thread. But a LOT of people. She is pretty, so she already has the vote of a lot of politically ignorant men. She's a woman, so she'll get the vote of wanna-be feminists and a LOT of women in general.

Obama was a similar choice for the Dems. He is young. That appeals to the college voters. He is black. That will probably get 99% of the black vote. Not because they all agree with him, but (at least a large percentage) because he is black. (Which is an awful reason to vote for anyone. Votes should be given after weighing the issues, not based on party or race…) (But this one has the reverse too, there will be a lot of old white folk who refuse to vote for him for the same reason. Bah…)

I for one have not decided yet (though I'm slightly leaning toward Obama) because I frankly don't see a clear ‘better’ candidate. It is depressing. Millions of dollars have been spent on advertising. You'd think we'd have the best this country has to offer. But no. We've got people who will get votes because of who they are and not what they'll do.
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:46PM
dueeast at 2:11PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
I think I would call myself a reluctant independent. I am a conservative, both on financial and social issues, but I no longer associate with the Republican Party. They have disgraced themselves horribly in the last 8 years and I won't stand up for them.

I don't trust any of the candidates to deliver what they say, although I believe Obama would try. But I don't support his liberal social stances nor his “announce the date of withdrawal” approach to ending the war. He's a likeable enough candidate and he has done a better job of avoiding mudslinging but because of his past associations, I do question his judgment. I also do not think 3 years in the senate is enough experience to be President of the United States.

On the other hand, I don't trust McCain at all. Palin amuses me but that's not a good enough reason to elect someone. She has supported some conservative positions that I agree with but she is not experienced enough for the position of Vice President.

I feel a real obligation to vote but I've hated these choices ever since McCain got the Republican nod. I still don't know what I'm going to do on election day. I know if I stay home, I'll regret it.

Argh.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
lothar at 1:59AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
at firs i thought palin was just stupid , but recently her aproach ahs become vicious and insane .
at some of her ralleys she has incited the crowds to such rage that they yell things about Obama like “ terrorist” and “bomb obama” or even “ kill him”
inciting a mob to violence is not just Fascist its Illegal !! she is going to be the one responsible if some racist bigot republican tries to do something to Obama ! after all the lies and crazy shit rumors she has spread about him . pretty much saying he's not an american and he hangs out with terrorists and he doesn't care about the dudes in iraq ! totaly bullshit ! i don't know how she gets away with this . has everybody gone insane ? what country am i looking at ? its pathetic !

and when she's not being an ignorant hate monger she still comes off as insane . check out this interveiw with charley gibson , she has absolutly no idea what she's talking about , i mean , damm , i don't know so much about global politics , but i could have answered any one of those questions better than she did .
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
lastcall at 6:10AM, Oct. 12, 2008
(offline)
dueeast
I think I would call myself a reluctant independent. I am a conservative, both on financial and social issues, but I no longer associate with the Republican Party. They have disgraced themselves horribly in the last 8 years and I won't stand up for them.

I don't trust any of the candidates to deliver what they say, although I believe Obama would try. But I don't support his liberal social stances nor his “announce the date of withdrawal” approach to ending the war. He's a likeable enough candidate and he has done a better job of avoiding mudslinging but because of his past associations, I do question his judgment. I also do not think 3 years in the senate is enough experience to be President of the United States.

On the other hand, I don't trust McCain at all. Palin amuses me but that's not a good enough reason to elect someone. She has supported some conservative positions that I agree with but she is not experienced enough for the position of Vice President.

I feel a real obligation to vote but I've hated these choices ever since McCain got the Republican nod. I still don't know what I'm going to do on election day. I know if I stay home, I'll regret it.

Argh.

Yep, this is basically my view as well. I have no idea what to do when election day rolls around. I was raised Republican, but I voted for Bush the last election and I SOOoo regret that, and there is no way in hell I am voting for McCain this time around–mostly because I don't want a cuddly soccer mom for a Vice President. I want someone who knows what they're doing.

I was disappointed when Obama didn't choose Clinton as his running mate–I thought they would have made a formidable team and one for the history books, if they won (an African American president and a female Vice President? That would have been cool). Both are Senators, and heck, Clinton was a former First Lady, so there's a lot of experience right there. It would have just made sense to have Clinton as a running mate, and I think a lot of people were surprised that he didn't do so.

Oh, I just found this while browsing the Internet and thought it was funny….

…And I also think it's funny that Palin thinks that the Troopergate report “cleared her of any wrongdoing” while she was governor of Alaska. ….What is this woman somking?!? She knowingly broke the law, we now know about it, and she says the probe clears her of this? Holy smokes. Whoever suggested to McCain that this woman would be an ideal running mate really needs to be fired, if he hasn't already.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
mlai at 5:24PM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
I keep expecting her to say that she is the closest state to Russia and we are in a cold war with Russia.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Mushroomcomix at 5:45PM, Oct. 12, 2008
(online)
DAJB
When I were a wee lad, my father used to make the observation that there were only three countries in the world governed by women and all three were at war. (Israel and India were two; can't remember the third just now …!)

Some years later, Margaret Thatcher became PM and guess what? The UK went to war against Argentina! (Perfectly justified perhaps, but worth bearing in mind when you consider Palin could end up running the US!)

Yes but if you look back into history some of the most successful societies were ruled by women like Cleopatra in Egypt and when Queen Elizabeth took over the throne in England
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
rufus_edge at 8:47PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
Sarah Palin has been the Governor of Alaska for two years and Mayor of Wasilla for ten years. She served as President of Alaska Conference of Mayors and was also a City Council member (1992-1996).

Sarah Palin has an 84% approval rating as Governor of Alaska.
Congress’ approval rating is 9%.

AGIA License bill signed August 27, 2008

House Bill 3001 for awarding a contract to TransCanada Alaska for developing and building a pipeline stretching for 1,715 miles from the Prudhoe Bay treatment plant to Alberta Canada.
Natives of Alaska have dreamed of a pipeline for more than 30 years. Sarah Palin in less than two years got the bill passed and the framework is now laid for them to move forward with the project.
Governor Palin said. “This legislation brings us closer than we’ve ever been to building a gas pipeline and finally accessing our gas that has been languishing for so many decades on the North Slope.”
More than 36,000 miles of pipeline is now operated by TransCanada Corporation in North America. They have built many pipelines also and are appreciative of the Governor's support.

Energy Package signed August 25, 2008

House Bill 4001 and Senate bill 4002 were signed into law by Governor Palin on August 25, 2008. SB 4002 pays $1,200 to each resident who qualifies. The money for these payments comes from the state's natural resource revenue. This bill also suspends the state's tax on gasoline.

“Alaskans who signed up for direct deposit will see these funds on September 12, along with their dividend,” said Governor Palin. “In rural Alaska, particularly, many people are facing a choice between feeding their families and heating their homes, and they could use this payment from the state's energy-generated surplus to cover some of those bills.”

Administrative Order 242 signed August 20, 2008.

This order puts together a co-op of the Department of Natural Resources and the Department of Revenue to work with organizations that wish to commercialize Alaska's North Slope natural gas.

“This solidifies our commitment to facilitating an LNG project that is a product of market interest,” Governor Palin said. “By committing both project capital and natural gas resources to a pipeline that would transport North Slope natural gas to tidewater, an LNG project can remain an integral element of the state’s effort to deliver Alaska’s gas to market.”

The Order encourages the departments to support any who are pursuing development of natural gas projects that are liquefiable and economic.

The Chef and WESTWIND II

Palin, Sept. 3: I came to office promising major ethics reform to end the culture of self-dealing. And today, that ethics reform is a law. While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor's office that I didn't believe our citizens should have to pay for. That luxury jet was over-the-top. I put it on eBay.

Upon entering office as Governor, the first thing Palin did was fire the chef. She said she is able to make meals for her children and the chef is no longer necessary.

Education

Palin increased funding and signed a bill that will triple per-pupil funding over three years for special needs students with high-cost requirements.

Now name some of Obama's accomplishments. Or is he running based on his judgement and not his accomplishments? The judgement that tells him it's okay to be friends with proud terrorists, corrupt real estate developers, anti-Semites, America haters, and racists. The judgement that was horribly, horribly wrong about the surge, Russia, Ahmadinejad, and giving loans to people that can't afford to pay them.

Also, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush were both governors before becoming president. Sarah Palin is the most popular and successful governor in the country.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
ozoneocean at 10:16PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
But you totally gloss over the fact that she's a rightwing idiot nutjob scary horrible mad religious nazi in training!!!!

I mean, come on man, get with the program. ;)

-Just responding to the fact that while you list all her achievements there in a staid and sensible manner, you then give us a bug-eyed false propaganda filled portrait of Obama. Which was quite funny when contrasted with the rest of your post.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
rufus_edge at 10:37PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
She isn't a nutjob. If you listen to her talk instead of listening to the media tell you what to think of her, you might find that you agree with her, and you will probably find that you like her as a person.

The reason I didn't focus on Obama's achievements is because I don't believe he has any. Unless you count voting in favor of infanticide four times and helping Fannie Mae give out so many bad loans that he became the second largest recipient of their money.
The second part of the post was just the Obama version of how most people in this thread (and most people in the media) are treating Palin.

Maybe this doesn't belong here, but which of the things that I said about Obama do you think are false? I think I can prove all of them.

ozoneocean at 10:54PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
Prove/? I think people can prove all the negative stuff they say about Palin too, it doesn't make it true.
You know what I mean? You can frame something ordinary, simple and innocuous in a totally different way to give a negative and horrible impression. I don't really approve of that sort of thing when it's done to any candidate in politics, I think it's reprehensible and stupid.

Which is why I made that joke statement about Palin.

—-If you're being sensible and considered about Palin, I think that's fine, but you should do that with the rest of this political drama as well, it'd be nice to see that sort of consistency and it'd really mark you out as a thinker as opposed to a partisan mouthpiece :)

rufus_edge at 11:09PM, Oct. 18, 2008
(online)
Okay, I'll edit this post later to include negative information about Obama in the form of a list of facts similar to the one I made about Sarah Palin's qualifications.

As for the “partisan mouthpiece” remark, I'm going to make it clear that I'm voting for John McCain because I agree with him on many issues and I think that Barack Obama is the worst candidate for president in the history of the United States. There are many things I don't like about McCain, and there are some things I don't like about Palin, but I support them much more than their opponents. If I had my first choice, Duncan Hunter would be President and Mitt Romney would be VP.
lothar at 3:22AM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
Rufus
She isn't a nutjob. If you listen to her talk instead of listening to the media tell you what to think of her, you might find that you agree with her, and you will probably find that you like her as a person.

i have heard her talk , have you ?
allow me to repost this interview with charly gibson , if you have the time to watch for ten minutes and you know anything about current world politics , this video should scare the bejeezus out of you !

i seriouisly can't see how anybody could watch this and still think she would make a good VP or very possibly President , Mccain has cancer and it has been leaked that his doctors have said he has about 2 years left .

and if that's not enough theres the hate filled frenzy she gets her supporter into every time she speaks

she is full of hate and is purposely trying to divide the people of america !
bush has almost destroyed the country , if Palin gets in the white house she will finidh the job !
more of her slanderouse lies to incite fear and hate of Obama

sorry i posted so many videos , but it seems the best way to illustrate my point
rufus_edge at 7:20AM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
I've seen her interviews with Gibson and Couric. I've also seen her speech at the convention, her speech the day she was chosen as McCain's running mate, and her interview with Sean Hannity. I've also researched what she's done in her life. Based on all of that, I think she would make a better president than Obama.

You're wrong about John McCain having only two years left. I listen to Coast to Coast AM and it wasn't even on there. He looks fine. His mother is 96 years old. Saying something like that is like saying Obama shouldn't be elected because he's secretly a plant by Osama bin Laden in an effort to take over America without having us know about it. Saying something like that is like saying Biden shouldn't be elected because he was born on Jupiter. Do you think the entire “Obama is the Messiah” media wouldn't talk about this all day everyday if they thought there was any possibility at all that it could be true? Do you think John McCain, who has put his country first for 72 years, wouldn't end his campaign and resign from the Senate if he knew he was dying?
I appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone else, if there's any evidence at all to back it up and it isn't completely insane.

In regards to her causing a “hate-filled frenzy” everywhere she goes, that is a very, very small percentage of the people at their enormous rallies. There are insane, violent, angry people at the rallies of any political candidate, from Lincoln to Douglas, from Kucinich to Huckabee. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are many more psychopaths at the Obama/Biden events. I'll add some videos later.
lothar at 8:45AM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
watching her speak about foreign policy , you think she would make a good VP or pres.? why ? she doesn't have a clue what's been going on outside Alaska !

mccain has had skin cancer 4 times already.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/24/science/sci-melanoma24
as for it coming back and him having 2 years to live ,i don't know if that's true or not, i was paraphrasing something i read in an editorial of the japan times , i cant find it now.

rufus_edge
In regards to her causing a “hate-filled frenzy” everywhere she goes, that is a very, very small percentage of the people at their enormous rallies. There are insane, violent, angry people at the rallies of any political candidate, from Lincoln to Douglas, from Kucinich to Huckabee. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are many more psychopaths at the Obama/Biden events. I'll add some videos later.

take a look at this video, i thinkk its more than a very, very small percentage.

Please, i would like to see similar behavior at an Obama rally. i don't think you can find it. are obama supporters calling palin a terrorist or shouting out “kill her” ???
that's a pretty week argument to say that There are insane, violent, angry people at the rallies of any political candidate, it ignores the levels of severity and the fact that she is acivly encouraging this kind of behavior with her choice of words.
rufus_edge at 10:44AM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
So there may or may not have been something that was ridiculiously wrong in the Japanese Times, and you use it as evidence that Sarah Palin doesn't qualify to be Vice President? That's even worse than basing all of your decisions on Keith Olbermann's insane rantings.

I gave you her accomplishments as governor of Alaska, and you don't seen to want to dispute them or say that Obama has any accomplishments that challenge hers in any way. It's the governor of Alaska's job to govern Alaska, and she has obviously done an outstanding job.

Like I said, Bush and Clinton were both governors and Palin is the most popular and successful governor in the country.

Does Barack Obama have any foreign policy experience at all? How about Bush? Reagan? Lincoln?
She's not running for president, McCain is, and he has an enormous amount of foreign policy experience.
Biden has foreign policy experience, but he has always been horribly wrong.

Here's the insane Obama supporters that I promised you:
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2008/10/angry-left-protest-cnt-sarah-palin-in.html

Here are some more:
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/12/crush-the-obamedia-narrative-look-whos-gripped-by-insane-rage/

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/18/attention-joe-biden-meet-anti-america-america/

http://cbs4denver.com/politics/palin.essay.denver.2.820285.html

Obama himself calling her a pig in a way that he seems to think is clever:

I now use lothar's logic to claim that this is proof that all Democrat supporters are insane, violent America haters. Also, all Obama and Biden do is spew hate everywhere they go.

Just because you don't hear about it on MSNBC or in The New York Times doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Do you even know the truth about Obama's relationship with William Ayers? Those people are right about him being friends with a terrorist. They have a right to be concerned about that.

dragonrider at 3:06PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
While I sincerely doubt Ms. Palin has either the experience or the competency to be considered qualified to become Vice President, she did win the Governorship of Alaska. A few more years experience might change the story, one Presidential thing she does exhibit, based on current Administration standards is abuse of power, with the “Troopergate” incident.

My question to McCain and to the Republican Party, if Hilary Clinton had received the Democratic Nomination would Colin Powell have been tapped to be the Republican Vice President?
Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. Because, YOU are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
mlai at 5:57PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
You're gonna have to do better than:

(1) Democrat gatherers getting into a fight with someone who is blatantly trying to disrupt the reason of their meeting with a loudspeaker. Nobody ever said it's good form (or smart) to go to someone else's political/religious/union gathering for the sole purpose of obnoxious disruption, unless you purposely bring a camera with you to cast yourself as a martyr.

(2) “Lipstick on a pig.” Yes you can infer that it can be Palin. You can also infer he's using a figure of speech on their policies. This kind of mean-spirited double-talk has always been used in politics. However, explicitly lying about a candidate having deep connections with terrorists… That's on a whole other level. It's even worse than what Bush has said in his campaign, and he's said/supported a lot.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
rufus_edge at 6:56PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
Mlai: So now it's only possibly to prove a point if it's in video form? There are four links there, some of which contain many different examples of the hate that comes from Obama/Biden supporters.

If you watch that Olbermann video, and try to focus on the facts and not the insane spin he is giving the story, you'll see that he only mentions three or four specific examples of people angrily shouting out things. This does qualify as a very, very small percentage.

The guy with the loudspeaker wasn't the person with the camera. The person with the camera didn't say anything hateful or physically attack anyone.

So the lipstick on a pig remark is only hateful if you think about it, and that makes it okay? What if I said “Barack Obama's economic policies are nothing but a terrorist to our future”?

And finally, Palin never lied about Obama's connection to terrorists. William Ayers is a terrorist. He did bomb the Pentagon, the Capitol, and police stations. He has never expressed that he regrets what he did. Here are some quotes from him in a piece published in the New York Times on September 11, 2001:
“I don't regret setting bombs”
“I feel we didn't do enough”
When asked if he'd do it again, he replied:
“I don't want to discount the possibility.”
Here's a picture of him standing on our American flag:
http://therealbarackobama.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/ayers-flag.jpg
Barack Obama has even said that he knew Ayers was a terrorist. Their relationship continued after his remarks in 2001. Obama has denounced the acts but not the man. He even defended the proud terrorist, saying, “this is a guy who lives in my neighborhood”. He not only sat on a board with him and lived in the same neighborhood with him, he had his “senate kick-off” hosted by him, he endorsed his book in the Chicago Tribune, and, last year, he stopped to chat with him when he was riding his bike. This proves that Barack Obama is friends with a terrorist and Barack Obama started his political career in the home of a terrorist.

Here's a link. You can click on it and learn more about their relationship:
http://noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/08/12/the-obama-ayers-top-ten-highlights-of-the-20-year-obama-ayers-connection/

Bocaj at 8:41PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
I personally lean liberal, but I feel I understand, and can admit, that conservative isn't wrong, it is simply different.

I have a friend who would classify himself as very conservative, and has convinced me that, while I still prefer Obama, McCain and Palin isn't that terrible.

I think the thing with Palin is, she doesn't know everything about being president. But she doesn't have to! She is running for VP. From what I know, Palin doesn't know that much about foreign policy, but knows a good deal about energy. As VP, she could help McCain with energy.
I personally agree with Obama about how he does things, but I urge everyone, even though this is debate and discussion, please try to realize that there is more than one way to beat a horse.
And this horse will be beat!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!*

*Paid for by the Horse Beating Campaign for horse beating Co.

Don't read Rape.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Vindibudd at 10:41PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
I love Sarah Palin. If you think she is stupid then how is Biden not stupid for saying “jobs” has 3 letters? How is Obama not stupid for saying that he has been to 57 states? How is Biden not stupid for not even knowing what the constitution of the United States says about the job that he wants to have? She has no experience? She has more experience at being an executive (which is the type of position that the presidency is) than Obama or Biden have combined.

What it all comes down to is that you all hate her because she isn't a Democrat. Intellectual honesty is extinct.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
ozoneocean at 4:07AM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Vindibudd
I love Sarah Palin. If you think she is stupid then how is Biden not stupid for saying “jobs” has 3 letters? How is Obama not stupid for saying that he has been to 57 states? How is Biden not stupid for not even knowing what the constitution of the United States says about the job that he wants to have? She has no experience? She has more experience at being an executive (which is the type of position that the presidency is) than Obama or Biden have combined.

What it all comes down to is that you all hate her because she isn't a Democrat. Intellectual honesty is extinct.
That stuff sort of sounds good, but unfortunately most of it's bullshit. :)

Democratic people are biased against her because of the party she's part of, just as Republican people are biased against Obama and Biden because of the party they stand for, but there's more to it than that, and deep down you probably know it.

Consider: why was Sarah picked? Given all the people right for the Republican VP ticket, she was way, way, way down on the list. She wasn't picked for her abilities, that's obvious, she was picked for what she represents: the aesthetic appeal to voters.

And given how far down the list she was, it makes it so obvious that this was the case. Even though that's how a lot of politics at this level is done on BOTH sides, I think a lot of people are annoyed at the openness of it here. Her aesthetic appeal is her cooky dopey personality, her simple values, reasonably clean record, the fact that she's a woman and a pretty one at that (to pick up on the superficial people who wanted Hillary just because she was a woman). She can look slightly progressive just because of her sex, while being a nice solid right-wing anchor to make McCain look better to the party faithful.

She's very much a strategic choice to enhance election chances for her party, which shouldn't be shocking to anyone since so are Biden, McCain, and Obama themselves in many respects. Although the VPs very much more so than the presidential candidates.

…although something I came upon in a Google search seems to take it a little far… Hustler's porn Parody “who's Nail'n Paylin?”. I won't link to it.

Vindibudd at 8:06AM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
I don't see how anything I said is bullshit. I don't like obama because of what he says he wants to do and it has nothing to do with the party he is in.
ozoneocean
Vindibudd

That stuff sort of sounds good, but unfortunately most of it's bullshit. :)

Democratic people are biased against her because of the party she's part of, just as Republican people are biased against Obama and Biden because of the party they stand for, but there's more to it than that, and deep down you probably know it.

Consider: why was Sarah picked? Given all the people right for the Republican VP ticket, she was way, way, way down on the list. She wasn't picked for her abilities, that's obvious, she was picked for what she represents: the aesthetic appeal to voters.

And given how far down the list she was, it makes it so obvious that this was the case. Even though that's how a lot of politics at this level is done on BOTH sides, I think a lot of people are annoyed at the openness of it here. Her aesthetic appeal is her cooky dopey personality, her simple values, reasonably clean record, the fact that she's a woman and a pretty one at that (to pick up on the superficial people who wanted Hillary just because she was a woman). She can look slightly progressive just because of her sex, while being a nice solid right-wing anchor to make McCain look better to the party faithful.

She's very much a strategic choice to enhance election chances for her party, which shouldn't be shocking to anyone since so are Biden, McCain, and Obama themselves in many respects. Although the VPs very much more so than the presidential candidates.

…although something I came upon in a Google search seems to take it a little far… Hustler's porn Parody “who's Nail'n Paylin?”. I won't link to it.
ozoneocean at 8:23AM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Vindibudd
I don't see how anything I said is bullshit. I don't like obama because of what he says he wants to do and it has nothing to do with the party he is in.
Oh really? ^_^

Vindibudd at 10:15AM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Yeah, really. Obama is a class warefare champion demanding that those who are successful give the fruits of their labor to those who have not worked as well or as intelligently. Obama insults me as an American by insisting that I need the government to help me with everything. Obama wants to take away my freedom to choose my own healthcare. He supports infanticide and I don't buy that horseshit about there was already a law protecting abortion survivors as an excuse to vote against infants. obama is a liar about his church, his political allies and his policies on taxation and his “bipartisanship.” He is woefully inexperienced in every single important category and to be perfectly honest with you, Hillary Clinton looks like George Fucking Washington by comparison.This whole election season has been the biggest railroad con job I have ever seen in my life or I have even read about. There has been absolutely no vetting of this person by the alleged fourth estate and I am appalled that the democrats are so desperate for power that they would stick a D on a person that symbolizes everything that is the direct opposite of what this country was founded on and stands for. Don't even bring your marxist bullshit in here on me because I will destroy that game.
ozoneocean
Vindibudd
Oh really? ^_^
rufus_edge at 1:51PM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Vindibudd: You're right, this has nothing to do with party affiliation. McCain is probably the farthest left of any Republican president ever, and Bush II is probably the second farthest left, at least in terms of the economy. John F Kennedy is probably more conservative than McCain. Obama has the most liberal voting record in history and his healthcare, education, and tax policies are closer to Fidel Castro's than any US President.

The things I don't like about Obama are that he's a communist, he's never accomplished anything in his life, and I'm greatly disturbed by the people he has chosen to associate himself with. These things could easily apply to a Republican candidate, and I'd denounce him like a flaming pair of pants. I'd denounce him like Obama should have denounced Ayers, Rezko, Wright, Raines, and Johnson.

I'm very upset that these are the candidates that the media has chosen for us, especially when there are good conservatives out there. There's Hunter, Romney, Jindal, Huckabee, and, as much as you hate to admit it, Palin. There are even good liberals out there. You probably haven't heard of them because they might not be half-black, women, young, or friendly.
I don't even call myself a Republican except on my official registration forms. I'm a conservative, and at this point I have no other option but to vote Republican.

If you want bring partisanism into it, how about the NAACP attempting to destroy Clarence Thomas? How about “feminist groups” trying to destroy Sarah Palin?

In conclusion, the system is messed up, the media is messed up, and Sarah Palin is neither a monster nor an unqualified moron.
SpANG at 1:56PM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Congratulations to you both. You've hit on all of the right-wing parot talking points (a.k.a. LIES). You've spun this debate into an Obama bash, meanwhile proving NOTHING as to why you think Palin is either qualified or a power abuser, or even a moron. You just say “She's not, and you're wrong”.

But why argue with you? You won't change your mind, no matter how wrong you are. It's pointless.

Just keep watching Faux News. All I can hope is that your guys don't get in. Because then we are well and truly screwed.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
rufus_edge at 2:01PM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
And you just keep watching all the media except Fox News and talk radio. Because then we'll be fucked in the way the media wants us to be fucked.

The reason I posted in this thread in the first place was to show how Palin is qualified, and nobody has argued against that. In fact, none of you even acknowledge its existence.
SpANG at 2:05PM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Ah yes. The “liberal media” talking point. How quaint.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
rufus_edge at 2:20PM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Boo Hoo I can't handle one tv station that doesn't agree with me on everything.
I can't handle one tv station that doesn't treat Obama as the second coming.
I can't handle two people on DrunkDuck that don't praise a man they don't know anything about and don't bash a woman they don't know anything about.

Why is every newspaper in the country failing and Rush just signed a $400 million contract extension?

It you want to bring the discussion back to where you tried to take it, how about saying why Palin's accomplishments don't count?
How about making a similar list of Obama's accomplishments?
How about saying why we shouldn't be concerned about Obama's connection to a terrorist, as I explained using facts and not lies.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved