Debate and Discussion

Scandals - Why do we care?
Aussie_kid at 8:19PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
I was waiting in line at a grocery store a few weeks ago and along the line was a rack of magazines like New Idea, Woman's Weekly, etc. and so I got bored and read a couple of the headlines on the front covers. Stuff like Brangelina (Who the hell came up with that name anyway?) saying they hate Jennifer Aniston and Britney Spears getting caught in a bikini again, stupid stuff like that.

Of course, it's not just singers and actors who get caught in scandals. Politicians do as well. Anyone with a hint of fame is repeatedly hounded and any mistake or success that they make is blurted out for the whole world to hear

Anyway, what do you guys think about scandals? Should we all stop trying to find out who is pregnant with who's baby and what time who went grocery shopping? Or do you guys think ‘Hey, they’re famous, they're public property'?
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
imshard at 8:27PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
I honestly don't give a rat's ass about that kind of stuff and think it is terribly annoying. There are better things we could do with our time than space our brains out watching Hollywood degenerates and people more successful than us spend their money.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
Custard Trout at 8:50PM, April 15, 2008
(offline)
Perhaps the idea of celebrities, who are Better Than You, fucking up makes people feel better about themselves.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Skullbie at 9:14PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
We care because they're SCANDALOUS~!

But really, it's just like that group of kids on the playground who talk crap about the weird kids, it's funny, easy to make conversations about, and it makes them feel better.

It adds just a bit more ‘human’ to those celebs too, we'll all mess up at some point in life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
Kohdok at 9:28PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
…Urgh… My job was to stock those magazines for a while. I never really cared about the scandals celebs have going on. I don't see them as above everyone else, either.

I care more about scandals in the government, frankly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
kyupol at 9:59PM, April 15, 2008
(online)
Aussie_kid
I was waiting in line at a grocery store a few weeks ago and along the line was a rack of magazines like New Idea, Woman's Weekly, etc. and so I got bored and read a couple of the headlines on the front covers. Stuff like Brangelina (Who the hell came up with that name anyway?) saying they hate Jennifer Aniston and Britney Spears getting caught in a bikini again, stupid stuff like that.

Of course, it's not just singers and actors who get caught in scandals. Politicians do as well. Anyone with a hint of fame is repeatedly hounded and any mistake or success that they make is blurted out for the whole world to hear

Anyway, what do you guys think about scandals? Should we all stop trying to find out who is pregnant with who's baby and what time who went grocery shopping? Or do you guys think ‘Hey, they’re famous, they're public property'?

Scandals is a way of creating a false sense of righteousness.

I am better than them because I dont do what they do. Hahaha.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Frostflowers at 12:46AM, April 16, 2008
(online)
Actually, I don't give a damn. I never have.

At least not when it concerns celebrities - I really don't care whether Britney Spears flashes her underwear at photographers, or if Jennifer Garner went grocery shopping in saggy jogging wear, because it's not something I need to know.

If it's political scandals, though - especially the kind where politicians turn out to have spent tax dollars on things they shouldn't - I'm a little more interested, because politics and the people who run it can directly influence my daily life, in a way that Britney Spear's underwear habits really, really can't.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
willlapuerta at 7:21AM, April 16, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
Perhaps the idea of celebrities, who are Better Than You, fucking up makes people feel better about themselves.

I guess that's why I never care about scandals. I already have so little respect for celebrities and politicians that it's just not enough to make me feel better.
“I am just a humble servant with a message here for you.”
-You Can't Take It With You, Alan Parson's Project
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
ozoneocean at 7:55AM, April 16, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
in a way that Britney Spear's underwear habits really, really can't.
Or the lack there off…
I don't know, it could start a trend. ;)

In Australia the tradition is called “the tall poppy syndrome”, usually by those unfortunates who bear the brunt of it: the tall poppy gets cut down. The idea here has traditionally been that we have an egalitarian society, no one is better than anyone else, we're all on the same level. Those who were deemed to have gotten too big for their boots and started acting high and mighty would suffer a backlash. People would joy in bringing them down again. :)

It sounds bad, but it's good in a way, it kept people human. We're becoming more Americanised here though, there's much greater tolerance of celeb worship and the stupidity of said celebs… But it doesn't bother me because I don't watch TV, listen to popular radio, read magazines , or even the national papers.
Out of sight, out of mind.

Political stuff is different, I get that from the serious news oriented radio stations. Political “scandals” are usually cover-ups for the other side's failings though, they dig up and promote dirty little stories to win cheap points and distract from their own inadequacy.
Real scandals exist, but they're rare. Something like Watergate in the U.S. was a real scandal.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
bobhhh at 2:04PM, April 16, 2008
(offline)
Ever sit in traffic only to find out it was just rubbernecking around a stalled car?

Something happens to your IQ when you come into contact with car wreck, literally or figuratively. You suddenly get slack jawed and survey the area for gore. I gues us smart little monkeys are still just instinctively curious about somone else's suffering.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
imshard at 4:14PM, April 16, 2008
(online)
bobhhh
Ever sit in traffic only to find out it was just rubbernecking around a stalled car?

Something happens to your IQ when you come into contact with car wreck, literally or figuratively. You suddenly get slack jawed and survey the area for gore. I gues us smart little monkeys are still just instinctively curious about somone else's suffering.

Or maybe its because two lanes of traffic are trying to squeeze into one during a busy part of the day.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
bobhhh at 10:25PM, April 16, 2008
(offline)
imshard
bobhhh

Or maybe its because two lanes of traffic are trying to squeeze into one during a busy part of the day.

Very clever, but don't pretend you have never been in or understand what rubbernecking is. My metaphor may be easy to nitpick with, but my point still remains.
ozoneocean at 2:39AM, April 17, 2008
(online)
Even the monkey thing is an incorrect allusion in itself. :)

Rubberneckers in traffic are a despised subset, more notable for the fact that they ignore their siltation and the inconvenience they cause others, rather than their fascination with macabre spectacle.

Everyone is curious about phenomenal events, be they fires, tornado, flood, whatever. That doesn't relate to some tenuous evolutionary connection. You can explain that far more conventionally through the curiosity of first hand experience… no need for dark schadenfreude.
—————————

As you apply it to gossip magazines etc, the trouble is that generally “scandals” can only involve famous people. So if you want to go back to your evolutionary allusion, you'd have to relate that to the less dominant being curious as to the fate of the dominant few, to see who would be the next leader, or to the fate of the clan. But again that doesn't work since the scandal is the entertainment itself, not the ultimate fate of those involved.

So what do you have? Celebs becoming universal proxies for the local neighbours that everyone used to know about and discuss, in this now more spread out and less personally connected world? Your allusion sort of works in that case…

But I would see it more as an extension of the culture of popular entertainment and its incursion into the sphere of legitimate news rather than anything feeding an inate need in anyone.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
bobhhh at 7:53AM, April 17, 2008
(offline)
Sure its not exactly the same, i just meant to say its an extension of that instinct, and monkey was just meant pejoratively.

:p
DAJB at 11:48PM, April 18, 2008
(online)
We don't care, do we?

Not really. Thanks to the intrusive nature of gutter journalism, we now feel like we know our public figures as well as we know our neighbours (better in some cases!) and so any so-called scandal surrounding them is of some interest, just as it would be if the woman next door ran off with the milkman. But do we care?

Nope.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
mousetrap at 10:36PM, April 19, 2008
(offline)
CELEBRITIES WITHOUT MAKEUP!!??!
OH MY GOD.

everybody human is going to sleep and eat and poop and shop for groceries and get a little cellulite here and there and get caught without makeup once in awhile. (..unless they get it tattooed on, i guess.)

i think it's all silly. if anything, i'd at LEAST prefer to gossip about people i actually know! (that way i don't have to pay $4 for a magazine.)

:)
i never posted here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Calbeck at 5:01AM, April 21, 2008
(offline)
I don't sweat the small stuff. Who Angelina Jolie is dating, or whether or not Barak Obama wears a flag pin on his lapel, affects nobody and nothing important.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved