Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Scanner
Nergal at 8:53AM, Feb. 1, 2010
(offline)
Any suggestions for an affordable flatbed scanner?

I'd rather not get a 3-in-1 thing which every site seems to suggest. I just need a scanner, nothing else.

Preferably one that's good at scanning colors (markers, pencils, crayons etc). My old one wasn't very good at that. It will be mainly used for Grayscale so it's got to be good at that too.

A larger scanning area would also be a plus.

What scanners do you guys use?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Rudolf at 11:10PM, Feb. 3, 2010
(online)
Hey you! *shotgun*
I don't think anyone uses scanners here, do you?

I don't.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
spkdpnch at 8:50AM, Feb. 4, 2010
(online)
I do. I use mine all the time ;P I'm sure I can't be the only one…I'm just not that special. ;P

Mine is an epson perfection 4180 photo scanner. My father gave to me but maybe that will help. ;)
www.castleart.org *if I ever get it up to date, I'll be suprised*
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
skoolmunkee at 1:11AM, Feb. 6, 2010
(online)
Canon generally makes good, inexpensive scanners, but I couldn't tell you about which ones are good for picking up colors. Especially if you are using things like pencils or textured paper, because those NEVER scan like you want (the one-dimensional scan just can't pick up the texture right).

You're probably going to have to use a standard size though. For some reason there's an enormous price difference between 8.5x11 scanners and 11x14. I've only ever heard of one affordable larger one, it's by Mustek I think, but I've been hearing about it for so long it might not be available any more.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Nergal at 9:43PM, Feb. 7, 2010
(offline)
Thanks for the suggestions. I stumbled upon some scanners a couple of days ago. I picked up a cheap Canon scanner. I'm pleased with it for now though it's much slower and louder than my old one. I think they had a Mustek or something like it there too that was larger but I never heard of that brand and didn't want to shell out the extra dough.

Thanks for your help.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
myangelsonw at 3:42PM, Feb. 8, 2010
(online)
Nergal
Thanks for the suggestions. I stumbled upon some scanners a couple of days ago. I picked up a cheap Canon scanner. I'm pleased with it for now though it's much slower and louder than my old one. I think they had a Mustek or something like it there too that was larger but I never heard of that brand and didn't want to shell out the extra dough.

Thanks for your help.

Just for the record, I think I have that Mustek scanner you are talking about; it's an A3 size, great for 10x15" comic pages! It's not wonderful for colors, but it's awesome for black lineart. I use it to scan all my inks and works perfectly. It's very cheap compared to other large flat-bed scanners which is why I purchased it in the first place.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved