Media Megaforum

Scary movies
Hawk at 5:12PM, Oct. 25, 2010
(online)
I really enjoy scary movies. That's why every October I get excited for a new batch of horror/suspense/thriller movies. I don't enjoy the gory ones, but I sure do love the psychological ones.

Recently I watched Paranormal Activity 2, which I liked despite the fact that it was pretty much more of the first movie. But now I'm not sure if there's much else to look forward to movie-wise.

Are there any scary movies you've enjoyed this season, or are looking forward to in the future?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
blindsk at 10:20PM, Oct. 25, 2010
(online)
I'd say just about every black-and-white horror film. I'm just strange that way.

Though I might have to check out the movie you mentioned, Hawk. I heard the second one was quite the improvement.

Most of today's “horror” films just don't do it for me though. Especially the ones that rely on jolting surprises every time a hand reaches out to grab something. I find them more funny due to their obvious buildup to those moments than anything else.

But yeah, I'll echo that sentiment that psychological horror films are type I'm drawn too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
bravo1102 at 8:13AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about the four movies (soon to be five?) of that title. I think I'm the only person in the Western World who enjoyed them.

I agree with blindsk. Some of the best horror I ever saw were poverty row features from the 1940s. Then there's Roger Corman, Hammer and Mario Bava.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
ayesinback at 10:40AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(offline)
I most like the movies where there's a lot of mood but the horror isn't immediately evident and it just kind of creeps up on you and then you find yourself thinking about it all the next day. Probably the one that most exemplifies that for me was 2000 “Shadow of the Vampire”. Creepy horror.

Less horror but still haunting would be 2007 “The Orphanage” and then less haunting but more horror, maybe these: 1993 “The Good Son”, “The Omen”. I think bad kids really make for good horror.

Fun Horror would be the Hammers and the B&Ws (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, for example).

Then there are the films where they aren't strictly horror but they give me a good shiver, like Silence of the Lambs. And 1971 “The Beguiled”

And then there's good ol 1932 “Freaks”. eewwww

Not much for gore, Stephen King or John Carpenter (altho I did like the first Halloween). And haven't noticed anything coming to theaters that looks like a draw for me.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Genejoke at 11:42AM, Oct. 26, 2010
(online)
I like horror in it's many many forms, although not a big fan of things like saw…

well the first was good but the rest are pretty lame.

Favourites?
American werewolf in london
the ring
the thing
Alien
Event horizon
A nightmare on elm street
Dawn of the dead (remake and original)
Se7en (if you count it as horror)
Silence of the lambs (see above)
Poltergeist

Sure there are many more as well.

Modern horror see,s to have largely lost balance, either they are too taught or completely lack it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Faliat at 6:09PM, Nov. 5, 2010
(offline)
The movies I found and continually find scary are the ones that aren't intended to be. I can watch an 18 rated gorn movie and not blink an eye because those that get killed are usually idiots.
In a PG movie you have a villain die by being eaten alive or falling to their deaths and I'm strangling a cushion in empathic terror.

I always find it scarier when something like that happens and then BOOM! Happy ending!

“The bad guy is dead! We're the good guys and we feel no sorrow at our destruction of a sentient, living being! YAAAAAAAAY!!!”

But if you guys want a decent scare from the movie that intends it the unexpected and unknown will probably do it. So I suggest a ten year old movie I only saw last year. “The Cell”
Don't be put off by Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Lopez and that kid from Lizzie Maguire in the cast list. You'll see shit you'll never unsee. I mean it… SEAHORSE MUSIC BOX TORTURE never looked so visually awe enspiring!

I get a niggling feeling I've mentioned it before on here. But that's what you get when you can't see your own post history. Lol. And besides. It doesn't matter. the movie deserves a double mention!

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
PIT_FACE at 6:30AM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
im always on the hunt for more good horror flicks. my favorite's been evil dead 2, which isnt an uncommon answer, but for good reason. i've just started getting into the satanic thrillers though. exercist is the obvious one, but the exersism of Emily Rose was really good too, i also really really liked The Sentinal. Lucio Fulci movies are always good for that super weird supernatural feeling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
ayesinback at 6:43AM, Nov. 6, 2010
(offline)
A tune came up in the car that reminded me of a scary movie — NOT a horror flick, just a pedestrian movie that continues to creep me out: The Virgin Suicides. (a) based on a true event (b) no one does uber-strict-Catholic Mom like Kathleen Turner. There are paranormal ghouls, and then there are creep Moms – who's the scarier monster?
under new management
ozoneocean at 7:10AM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
For scary stuff, I always liked the way the Brits did it best. None of that horror stuff, not the Hammer movies either- just the really creepy, scary ghost stories. Maybe nothing really horrible happens at all, but they could really build up an aura of fear, strangeness and apprehension.
There used to be a lot of great scary British TV series like that too, I can't quite recall the names now, but they were good at what they did. You don't need blood and guts to scare someone. It's often the opposite.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
skoolmunkee at 10:12AM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
I prefer the suspenseful psychological horror. Anything even mildly gory makes me cringe, and really I just don't see the point in it. If you want to scare me you'll have to do it with good writing. :] Movies like The Orphanage are creepy and suspenseful enough for me to consider ‘horror’ and that's the kind of film I prefer. I've been surprised by some older films as well, like um… the black and white Haunting of Hill House (I think it was).

The problem with a lot of suspenseful/psychological movies, even good ones, is that it's only really good the first time you see it. Once you've seen it you already know what happens so you can never get into that same viewing state again. Sure, a good scary movie is good for a rewatch, but you've lost a lot of that suspense forever.

IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Hawk at 1:08PM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
I loved The Orphanage. I just saw it for my first time a few months ago. My roommate said, “What? That wasn't scary at all!” Maybe it wasn't terrifying, but it was a really well-told story with enough suspense for me to really get into it. I like to judge the quality of movies (especially scary ones) by how long after the credits you continue to think about them. Days later I was still thinking about The Orphanage.

You're right, skoolmunkee… Most scary movies can really only be seen once for the optimal effect. I've argued with plenty of people over which version of The Ring is better (Japanese or American) and it seems like people usually chose the version they saw first. They're similar enough movies that the second one you see probably won't have as much punch.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
ayesinback at 3:47PM, Nov. 6, 2010
(offline)
Yeah, The Orphanage made my list, too. But sometimes a second viewing, while it won't give the initial thrill, is fun just to spot the artistry involved. I can still jump with Silence of the Lambs.
under new management
Steampunkish at 8:26PM, Nov. 7, 2010
(online)
I liked The Orphanage, but as far as Del Toro films are involved I think I still prefer Pan's Labyrinth. I think I'd classify it more as fantasy then horror, but the pale man is a pretty good, and striking, ‘monster’.

It's hard for me to think of good horror films from recent years. Most of the ones that get a lot of publicity are either remakes or sequels (Or ‘based off a true event’ - ha!), which is kind of lame. There's a few that I could think of (Foreign titles, low budget indie movies, etc), but none that come to mind easily.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
EssayBee at 12:14PM, Nov. 9, 2010
(online)
Not a huge horror fan, but the creepy ghost stories are the ones that usually make me uneasy. I'm not a firm believer in ghosts, but the idea that something can always be there, watching over your shoulder, gives me the creeps. The Shining and the original Ring (not so much with the American version, however) both got to me. A Tale of Two Sisters has some really good scenes (and a trippy final 30 minutes). And Burnt Offerings is a good flick for Halloween. None of these are exactly terrifying, but they can stoke an overactive imagination, and I still think about them from time to time.

Hawk–Regarding the Japanese and American versions of Ring . . . I've noticed the same thing–that the first version people see is the one they prefer. I'm no exception–saw the Japanese version first and liked it better. (Plus, since watching it, I've read all of Koji Suzuki's books and short stories in the Ring series.) I just had problems with all of the physical evidence that Naomi Watts gathered in the American version and did absolutely nothing with. If she's a reporter, you'd think she'd investigate the hair she coughed up (along with an electrode) and perhaps even the fly–I mean, it's physical evidence of supernatural phenomena, for crying out loud. Sure, nothing may have come from investigating them, but I just couldn't believe that they would only merit a look of shock from the protagonist and then be forgotten. Plus the bloated corpses would be something the police would be more likely to spend time investigating than simply dismissing as a heart attack. To me, these were just bits of supernatural flash that the American filmmakers felt they had to throw in to keep the audience's attention, and I much prefer the simplicity of the Japanese version. (Although you have to be willing to accept that her ex is psychic in the Japanese version.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 4:33PM, Nov. 9, 2010
(offline)
I watched Summer's Moon and found it to be better than anything else I watched on Chiller but still it was only decent.

But I do love me some good horror.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Tantz Aerine at 9:49AM, Nov. 14, 2010
(online)
In my experience the really good, witty, smart/suspenseful scary movies that don't resort to cheap thrills to scare the audience are few and far between.

The one that I still feel was elegant in its scariness was “The Others” with Nicole Kidman. Unfortunately it's only scary when you first see it, because the whole point is the premise of what you THINK is going on.

I still think she should have gotten the Oscar for THAT, not Moulin Rouge.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
Armagedon at 11:31PM, Nov. 16, 2010
(online)
im really saddened with the state the the horror genre has been left in as of late. Plagued by remakes and same ole same ole jumps and jeers, there are very few true horror movies (at least in the US) that are actually scary or at least tense.

Most of the ones released rely on the same old tricks that everyone knows. They don't tend to incorporate them in a way that is unique or different. In the case of many horror franchises, it has become more about how much blood and gore can be thrown into the mix, as opposed to how can we find a way to legitimately surprise the viewer.

In fact, I think the excess of gore in horror is actually one of the problems. If one can't imagine what is actually going on, how can one be truly scared by it. I would argue that always showing the kill, as opposed to finding various ways to display it w/o actually seeing it, is less frightening.

Ok… I'm starting to ramble… but ya.

my 2 cents.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Genejoke at 12:47AM, Nov. 17, 2010
(online)
I watched the new nightmare on elm street the other day, quite impressed. Overall it was a little lacking but story wise the tweaks worked sadly the direction didn't make the most of horror elements.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
itsjustaar at 1:00PM, Dec. 3, 2010
(online)
I don't see too many horror movies that were out recently, or I've been lazy in renting them to say the least. xD Most of the ones at my now-defunct rental shack in town are a lot of -really- low-budget, B-grade through Z-grade movies that nobodies ever heard of. xD

'Alien Predators', anyone? xD A cheap marketing ploy to get people think this was the original ‘Alien’/'Predator' crossover. Obviously not.

http://www.bmoviefilmvault.com/breviews/alien_predators.html

It's more like… a very subtle ‘The Thing’ (John Carpenter) with emphasis on Dennis Christopher's over the top acting. This, a car chase in Spain, and an A-Bomb explosion are three good reasons for this lulzy movie.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
skoolmunkee at 2:38AM, Aug. 20, 2011
(online)
Please don't post links to media download sites unless they are legitimate services. I tried to visit that URL and my provider said it ‘couldn’t find that site' so that seemed suspicious as though it were blocked.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 4:27AM, Aug. 20, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Please don't post links to media download sites unless they are legitimate services. I tried to visit that URL and my provider said it ‘couldn’t find that site' so that seemed suspicious as though it were blocked.
He's a spammer and I've banned him.

The Modus of those losers is to post a whole lot of junk posts that sort of fatuously have something to do with various threads and then post one with their crappy movie link somewhere.
ALWAYS the same modus.

Air Raid Robertson at 5:51AM, Oct. 3, 2011
(online)
I own and watch a large quantity of horror movies, but the ones that genuinely creep me out are the same ones that genuinely creep everyone out.
The Exorcist, Alien, The Shining, and Nosferatu.
ayesinback at 3:24PM, Oct. 14, 2011
(offline)
I have two more to mention - again, not horror but  a gentle little scary buzz

Something Wicked This Way Comes - probably my favorite Jonathan Pryce performance, and

The Uninvited, a b/w ghost story from the 1940s, starring silly Ray Milland.  his character is silly, but the treatment of the ghost is top-notch
under new management
Faliat at 7:12AM, Oct. 17, 2011
(offline)
It may be a docu-drama, but it's in the public domain now and is pretty much intended to scare.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059894/
I haven't seen it's 1980s equivalent but it's supposed to be not as good. There's also the added intrigue of looking at the world the way it used to be and how much worse it could be if it happened now.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
machinehead at 8:34PM, Nov. 4, 2011
(online)
I'm a huge horror movie buff, owning several hundred horror movies. Personally I don't find anything really scary, but a few well made lesser known movies I like to watch every year for Halloween are:
Trick 'r Treat
Gravedancers
Jack Brooks: Monster slayer
Not to mention the givens like, Poltergeist, exorcist and Halloween.
ayesinback at 3:16PM, Jan. 18, 2012
(offline)
Had to bring this thread back because posting this film in the “what have you watched” wasn't enough.

NEVER LET ME GO
It's in the same category as “The Handmaid's Tale”, which means no blood, no ghosts.  Just a representation of a world all too much like our own where things have gone credibly wrong.

It left me very sad, and Horrified, and it's that weird “but I'm glad I watched it” that made me want to post.  Maybe it was the score:  a beautiful, haunting cello - but I don't think so.

Low point:  Keira Knightley.  I do like looking at her face (so pretty) but if her dramatic melody could add a third note in addition to “bored” and “spoiled”, I, for one, would welcome it.  But actress Carey Mulligan is wonderful.  The kind of talent where her face speaks volumes rather than her mouth speaking dialogue.
It's one of those movies where you have to be “in the mood” for it, but I can't imagine anyone easily dismissing it.
under new management
bravo1102 at 1:22AM, Jan. 19, 2012
(online)
A scary movie that is an accurate depiction of the superstitous other worldly place inhabited by World War II submariners, Below

As a fan of the old Weird War tales comic this is right out those pages about a sub that maybe a ghost takes back to join the ship it sunk?  Or is it just superstition and things go wrong that really could go wrong.

Very tense and after having read a good book about WWII US submarines this captured that world admirably.  What's more it was filmed on board a real US World War II vintage sub which makes it all the better.  Forget the scary stuff, it's still a good movie abut subs and the men who crewed them in WWII.  Everything here echoes events that really happened and that makes it scary.
SydneyRoad at 4:56AM, Jan. 31, 2012
(online)
Most recent horror movie I've liked is Trick r Treat.
I just went to see The Devil Inside. Wow, that was terrible.

Hawk at 9:33AM, Jan. 31, 2012
(online)
I watched Insidious.  What a shame.

It had a semi-interesting premise regarding astral projection and evil spirits, and it kept me interested for a while with some fun suspense, then it fell apart.  Basically, it made the classic mistake of showing too much.  The villain was essentially Darth Maul of the spirit world, and when we got a good look at him the movie just turned silly.

Paranormal Activity 3 was kind of fun.  Like the movie before it, it tended to rely heavily on the same gimmicks and scare-tactics of the first one, which made it a bit predictable.  But for me in never devolved into being awful, but just remained a fun, suspenseful movie.  However, it keeps becoming more and more silly that people would record every minute of their lives, ESPECIALLY in the 80's.  They announced that we'd get a new Paranormal Activity yearly, and I imagine they'll have to do something really different in the next movie, as the premise is wearing out.

On a more positive note, I rewatched the Orphanage a few weeks ago, and I have to say, that is still one mighty fine movie.  I think it's telling of the film's quality that despite me having seen it before and knowing the secrets, it holds up just fine.
Ryurei at 7:02PM, Feb. 24, 2012
(online)
The Shining, one of the few movies that had me wide awake at 3AM… And just about any Stephen King movie(I've heard the books are better, but this is a movie thread.) I don't really watch a lot of horror movies I want to. I just don't. :/

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved