Debate and Discussion

Scary times. IS the U.S.A. making the same mistakes as the U.S.S.R.?
ifelldownthestairs at 8:52PM, Aug. 23, 2008
(online)
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” -Benjamin Franklin

“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.” -Thomas Jefferson

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” -Thomas Jefferson

“I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America, the sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal inquiry too. ”
-Thomas Jefferson

“The masses have little time to think. And how incredible is the willingness of modern man to believe.” - Adolf Hitler

“In this they proceeded on the sound principle that the magnitude of a lie always contains a certain factor of credibility, since the great masses of the people in the very bottom of their hearts tend to be corrupted rather than consciously and purposely evil, and that, therefore, in view of the primitive simplicity of their minds they more easily fall a victim to a big lie than to a little one, since they themselves lie in little things, but would be ashamed of lies that were too big. Such a falsehood will never enter their heads and they will not be able to believe in the possibility of such monstrous effrontery and infamous misrepresentation in others; yes, even when enlightened on the subject, they will long doubt and waver, and continue to accept at least one of these causes as true. Therefore, something of even the most insolent lie will always remain and stick — a fact which all the great lie-virtuosi and lying-clubs in this world know only too well and also make the most treacherous use of.” -Adolf Hitler

“No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.” Abraham Lincoln

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. ” -Winston Churchill

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.” -James Madison

“The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.” Karl Marx

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -Thomas Jefferson

all quotes i looked up that gave me chills from their startling relevancy to the current state of things.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
arteestx at 9:35PM, Aug. 23, 2008
(online)
ifelldownthestairs
"… more easily fall a victim to a big lie than to a little one, since they themselves lie in little things, but would be ashamed of lies that were too big. Such a falsehood will never enter their heads and they will not be able to believe in the possibility of such monstrous effrontery and infamous misrepresentation in others; yes, even when enlightened on the subject, they will long doubt and waver, and continue to accept at least one of these causes as true…" -Adolf Hitler
“We don't torture.” -George W. Bush

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
bravo1102 at 7:26AM, Aug. 26, 2008
(online)
Doesn't give you pause to discover that men two centuries ago saw the same patterns we are seeing again?

This is why I hate having the long distance hindsight of the historian, which all too many lack including many who see themselves as students of history.

Let's see what happens this time around.

If anyone can recognize each incident that Jefferson was responding to will get a cookie. (one is a paraphrase of Edmund Burke)

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” (Edmund Burke)

“When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.”

(Martin Niemoeller)

It's happened before, but speak out and let them know. That's why we have freedom of speech in the USA and Jefferson (among others) spoke out against the last time it was restricted and they won.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
ifelldownthestairs at 11:56AM, Aug. 26, 2008
(online)
bravo1102
If anyone can recognize each incident that Jefferson was responding to will get a cookie. (one is a paraphrase of Edmund Burke)

damn, i can't say without cheating. i have a feeling it's one of those things that i do know, but it's crammed into the back of my head because of all the song lyrics, movie quotes, artistic visuals, masturbatory fantasies magazine articles, literary passages, and so on and so forth that have been shoved in on top of it.

…okay i lied, i don't really know how to read.

damn. where's the post that says “anyone who can't read this will get a cookie”? that's where the action is for me, baby.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
bravo1102 at 6:06PM, Aug. 28, 2008
(online)
ifelldownthestairs
bravo1102

damn, i can't say without cheating. i have a feeling it's one of those things that i do know, but it's crammed into the back of my head because of all the song lyrics, movie quotes, artistic visuals, masturbatory fantasies magazine articles, literary passages, and so on and so forth that have been shoved in on top of it.

…okay i lied, i don't really know how to read.

damn. where's the post that says “anyone who can't read this will get a cookie”? that's where the action is for me, baby.

For being honest you get two cookies. I much prefer reading about masturbatory fantasies than the Alien and Sedition Acts anyday.

note to self: Maybe if I changed my comic to one about masturbatory fantasies someone would read it? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved