Media Megaforum

Scooby Dooby Doo!
Sayomi at 8:17AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
According to some people I talked to, grown ups still enjoy my age programs like Tracy Beaker (OMG) and at the moment I'm watching Scooby Doo. Not the new stuff, the classic cartoons, and I thought that maybe adults would watch this too. Since my brother - no name mentioned - enjoys watching it with me and he's what I consider old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 8:59AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
Scooby was great.

I'm iffy on all other Hannah Barbara stuff though.

Like…

YOGI

…Hated that bear…

Oh and I watch way more children's cartoons than you. Bet on it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
ozoneocean at 9:12AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
Scooby Doo was only good until they added Scrappy.
It's universally agreed that Scrappy is extremely annoying and only liked by morons. :gem:

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Genejoke at 9:15AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
I like what they did with scrappy in the otherwise terrible live action scooby.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 9:33AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
Genejoke
You shut your mouth!

Rowan Atkinson is amazing!

ozoneocean
Scooby Doo was only good until they added Scrappy.
It's universally agreed that Scrappy is extremely annoying and only liked by morons.
Scrappy does suck…
Hawk at 9:54AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
I'll plainly admit that I'm really enjoying the recent reboot of Scooby Doo on Cartoon Network. I had previously felt like Scooby had been exploited beyond repair over decades of use and repetition, but the reboot seems fresh, funny, and more grown up. And the production values are much better than any iteration they've had before.

As a kid, i was a big fan of Scooby. It makes me happy to know that you can reinvent something without ruining it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Sayomi at 9:57AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
Scrappy is the little dog in the movie, isn't it? I didn't like him that much.
How is Rowan Atkinson involved. I like him, especially in Jonny English.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Abt_Nihil at 4:46PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
I still enjoy a lot of stuff I enjoyed as a kid. In fact, I'm so happy I can now seek out and rewatch whole series which I watched as a kid - what with cheap DVD box sets and all ^_^

However, I must admit I never quite got Scooby Doo. The characters all got on my nerves, and I always thought ghosts and those sort of “mystery” stories were pretty boring.

I mostly enjoyed the old WB cartoons, the newer versions of those (Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs), some action cartoons (He-Man, Galaxy Rangers, Defenders of the Earth, Saber Rider), some anime (most notably The Dog of Flanders), Inspector Gadget, the Smurfs… those are some off the top of my head. My childhood ended when I watched the 2nd episode of Batman: The Animated Series. The transition from child to adult happened when I watched Matt Hagen dissolve into Clayface. Oh man, the drama!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
ayesinback at 5:15PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
I liked the early Scooby Doo, too. But they couldn't sustain it: rigidly formulaic and the characters' traits changed over time. Was it that everyone got dumber Except for Daphne, or vice versa — it's been awhile.

I still love The Flintstones, speaking of Hanna Barbara. There was a time when I was really little that I thought my Dad was Fred Flintstone because he was big, fat, loud, and had black hair — and as a kid I didn't mind the wardrobe inconsistencies.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:20PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
Sayomi
Scrappy is the little dog in the movie, isn't it? I didn't like him that much.
How is Rowan Atkinson involved. I like him, especially in Jonny English.
You don't know your Scooby Doo : The Movie then…

He plays the park owner and the android of the owner that is controlled by Scrappy.

To Hawk: I'm not really liking it. It's just a little too different for me.
I mean I liked What's New? and A Pup Named but that's too big a change for me…

My favorite “older” shows are:
and

…but I simply watch those just to make fun of them.

I do have a large soft spot for Dexter's Lab though…such an inspiration…
bravo1102 at 10:42PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
I loved Scooby Doo especially the series with the celebrity gueststars. The episode with Jonathon Winters was genius. It was a 1970's thing. I also liked to watch Hollywood Squares. Though it was really a formula that HB also did with Speedbuggy and Josie and the Pussycats. The characters in Josie and the Pussycats were funnier.

A pup named Scooby Doo was good especially that character Redd Herring. Anyone ever see the episode of Johnny Bravo when he got picked up by the Scooby gang?

Or when Jay and Silent Bob get picked up by them…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
mlai at 12:21AM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
I was absolutely fanatical over The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo. Where the main cast was Shaggy, Scoob, Scrappy, Daphne, a Mexican kid, and Vincent Price(!).

I know (now) that it was 1 of the worst subseries of Scooby Doo, but at the time I just liked the concept of the gang versus “real” epic-proportions demons (can't even call them ghosts). Kind of like pre-Real Ghostbusters.

And I tried to draw the characters. You can call Hanna Barbara art terrible, until you actually try to draw Vincent Price yourself. It's not easy for a kid! It definitely teaches you more about drawing faces than copycatting abstract manga like Dragonball, One Piece or whatever.

The fact that the series only ever had 12 demons, even though the show was called 13 Ghosts, bugged me to no end! I didn't know at the time, but the show was only slated for 13 eps, but the writers wrote eps.1 as an introductory eps with no demon… therefore they could only fit in 12 demons.

In the end, I just made up my own 13th demon, a shapeshifter that looks like a monstrous flaming toucan-rooster in its true form. Heh, toucan-rooster…

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
ozoneocean at 6:28AM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
mlai
I was absolutely fanatical over The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo. Where the main cast was Shaggy, Scoob, Scrappy, Daphne, a Mexican kid, and Vincent Price(!).

I know (now) that it was 1 of the worst subseries of Scooby Doo, but at the time I just liked the concept of the gang versus “real” epic-proportions demons (can't even call them ghosts). Kind of like pre-Real Ghostbusters.
I felt the same way!

It was only later that I realised that the real fun of Scooby Doo was uncovering the “mystery”; the person pretending to be the monster and finding out how they did it/ Having real ghosts just squashed all that flat, but at the time I though it was great not to have someone underneath the masks for once.

The 13th ghost was Vincent Price. I'm pretty sure. But your Toucan sounds great. :)

DAJB at 8:12AM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
Agreed! Very poor movie. Very mischievous final reveal!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Hawk at 9:54AM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
bravo1102
A pup named Scooby Doo was good especially that character Redd Herring.

Red Herring was awesome!

As a kid watching that show I had no idea what a clever gag he truly was. Also, A Pup Named Scooby Doo was where the cast's blander characters really started to get their personalities… these personalities stuck well into the later iterations of the show until the present.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Air Raid Robertson at 10:34AM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
I can't say that I ever liked Scooby Doo all that much. I thought that the stories were all interchangable and unmemorable bits of formula. If you've seen one episode you've pretty much seen every single one. Also, the gags were recycled endlessly and the animation was stiff and cheap-looking.

I think this is true with pretty much every Hanna-Barbera cartoon, but Scooby Doo in particular.

I was also trying to watch The Cartoon Network during the period where they were pretty much marathoning Scooby Doo reruns endlessly. It really annoyed me that, despite having access to three or four studios of animation that stretched back to the 1930's, all they ever played was this one character. This likely has played into my dislike of the show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Chernobog at 5:16PM, Feb. 25, 2011
(offline)
I'm pretty much with Air Raid on this one. I found Scooby very dull and monotonous. However, they had some fun guest appearances, I'll grant. Chiefly, the Three Stooges, Harlem Globetrotters, and Batman/Robin.

Scrappy is the *&^%@#$ devil. I'm not clear why they added him.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Air Raid Robertson at 6:19PM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
Mark Evanier, who wrote Scrappy's first appearance, posted a long yet interesting essay about the character's genesis. I would recommend looking it up if you're really curious about why and how Scrappy came to be.

To sum it up, Scooby Doo was going through a ratings slump after about ten years on TV. Hanna-Barbera considered giving Scooby Doo the axe, but eventually it was decided that adding a new character may inject some new life into the program.

Scrappy Doo was modelled on a minor Loony Tunes character named Henry Hawk. (The little chickenhawk that harassed Foghorn Leghorn) He was supposed to be voiced by Mel Blanc, but they ended up not being able to afford him. The voice actor for Scooby ended up doing both characters.

Scrappy was a success, and Scooby Doo continued being produced in some incarnation or other for the rest of the decade. Mr. Evanier is fairly convinced that most Scooby Doo fans are okay with Scrappy or even like him. He considers the segment of the internet who hates him to be a very small and very vocal minority.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
ozoneocean at 9:09PM, Feb. 25, 2011
(online)
Scrappy was a success, and Scooby Doo continued being produced in some incarnation or other for the rest of the decade. Mr. Evanier is fairly convinced that most Scooby Doo fans are okay with Scrappy or even like him. He considers the segment of the internet who hates him to be a very small and very vocal minority.
That whole thing sounds like an alternative history written by a villain in order to justify his terrible deeds. ;)
He probably would've gotten away with it to if it wasn't for us dern kids!

I'd be surprised if there was really that much truth to his side of things. The whole Scrappy situation is textbook bad sitcom practice, it's become almost a case study in what not to do. You find pop culture references to that sort of thing everywhere. And of course, as has been mentioned: they even referenceed it in the film by making him a baddy! :)

Armagedon at 12:03AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
while I never really had any issue with scrappy, I can see where the hatred for him is. Especially when he blatanltly shouts out puppy power before every thing, thus ruining any inclination of surprise.

As for the movie, the only saving parts of that were the fact that scrappy was the villain and that Mr. Bean was in it.

I haven't had much contact with the new one, but given the adult themed nature I'm willing to give it a shot. Can't be any worse that some of the other crap they've put out.

However, I will always remain loyal to the original and sometimes “A pup”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:59AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(offline)

So I don't know why you guys are puttin down the original live action movie.

I thought it was great.

not even just that, the second had:

I mean, those guys are just awesome!

Not to mention the storylines weren't…exactly terrible.
mlai at 2:08AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
I was a kid, I'd watch anything.

My only problem with Scrappy was the fact that he looked deformed. His head is the same size as Scoob's, but he has a midget body. That didn't look like a puppy to me; I just thought it's an ultra-midget dog.

Oh, the other problem is Scoob was primarily a quadriped, but Scrappy was 100% bipedal. Even as a kid, it just highlighted Scrappy's abnormality to me. As a kid, I didn't like him purely based on aesthetics; he's a mutant in their midst, inconsistent with the world's internal logic.

ozoneocean at 4:49AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
mlai
he's a mutant in their midst, inconsistent with the world's internal logic.
It's the old Goofy/Pluto dichotomy :(

blindsk at 1:24PM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
I agree with what most people have said about that humanoid canine that they tried adding into the show. Overall, I really only enjoyed the original series, without all those little iterations that changed the dynamic of the show.

It's probably mostly because I loved those chase scenes! It really was the one thing I looked forward to viewing each episode. The crazy 70's music, the zany maneuvers they pulled…I found it very amusing.

One thing interesting about the show that I noticed is that some episodes include a laugh track while others did not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Chernobog at 7:43PM, Feb. 28, 2011
(offline)
Ahh, thanks Air Raid. I can see Henry Hawk in Scrappy. I guess it makes sense, in a way. I never liked that little chicken hawk. He was frequently paired against Foghorn Leghorn and that character was already quite antagonistic when he wanted to be.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
itsjustaar at 3:40PM, March 2, 2011
(offline)
I like Scooby-Doo, but after awhile it seemed like Hanna-Barbera were upgrading it as much as Capcom made Street Fighter. Where in which Capcom did it to help tinkle with it for a nice reason, Scooby was in it for the dough.

I mean, you can only come up with so many titles for the series…

“How Ya Doin', Scooby-Doo?”
“The New Further Complex Riveting Unsolved Cold Cases of Scooby-Doo”
“IT'S… Scooby-Doo Meets Monty Python”
“A Talking Dog and His Stoner Owner: The Series”

At least the Shaggy formula worked. Round chin, a fondness for gluttony, and usually but not always the sharpest tool in the shed.

But Velma was teh best.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
mlai at 12:53AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
Wait, you think Shaggy is usually the sharpest tool in the shed??

itsjustaar at 4:08AM, March 25, 2011
(offline)
Whenever Velma's plan fails, Shaggy knows just all the nice running-in-fear routes in advance to make sure he and Scooby are right there to collide directly into the villain at such a top speed.

Plus he makes awesome subs.

Jughead's better though. He was in the band. 8[
mlai at 4:16AM, March 25, 2011
(online)
Oh yes, actually Shag taught me my appreciation for oversized sandwiches. True story.

itsjustaar at 2:25AM, March 28, 2011
(offline)
13 Ghosts had Vincent Price in it, right? I think that was kinda the only one I liked, despite how short-lived it was. I always sorta thought of it as a prelude to that Zombie Island movie, which I also thought was good. It may have still kept the gags, but they took away the “dude seeking x-type revenge on y for some reason” schtick.

When Hanna-Barbera started adapting their cartoons to the times and poking fun at themselves, I liked it more. It showed that they could kinda look back at themselves and have a good laugh.

I'm not sure about the new cartoon, though. One episode had Fred finding out Scooby wasn't able to sniff out something, and he literally went into a room to scream out in agony. lol.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved