Bocaj at 9:31PM, June 20, 2008
(online)
Girl scouting.
Boy scouting.
Venture crew.
Brownies, Cub scouts.

Anyone here is or was a scout?
Hated it, loved it?

Personally, I was a cub scout, became a boy scout, joined a venture crew, did Philmount, quit the venture crew (just too busy), and became an Eagle Scout. Scouting is a big part of my life, and I'm always learning how much I learned.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM
seventy2 at 10:08PM, June 20, 2008
(online)
i was a boy scout. i never was much into it. then one year, my scout master signed me up to work at Camp Buffalo. i loved that camp as much as any person can love a job. i worked there for four years. i promised a fifth, but instead ran out of money, joined the air force, and have longed for the friends i made at that camp.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
lefarce at 11:26PM, June 20, 2008
(online)
I quit the boy scouts because all we did was camp, and after nearly getting hypothermia I decided I hate the wilderness.

Also, I cut my arm wide open with an ax because no one bothered to train my idiotic and impressionable ass. Playing with pocket knives was pretty fun though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
usedbooks at 11:29PM, June 20, 2008
(online)
I quit the brownies as a child because we never did any camping or outdoorsy stuff. We went to doll shows and sold cookies. Not my idea of fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
lefarce at 11:42PM, June 20, 2008
(online)
usedbooks
I quit the brownies as a child because we never did any camping or outdoorsy stuff. We went to doll shows and sold cookies. Not my idea of fun.

Whereas I would have ate all the cookies we tried to sell and then come back crying saying I was robbed by some older kids.

Lets go back in time and trade.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Bocaj at 11:47PM, June 20, 2008
(online)
usedbooks
Everyone who I talked to who was in any form of girl scouts said it was very sexist. I think that was why Venture Crews were made…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM
Aussie_kid at 5:40AM, June 21, 2008
(online)
Was in scouts from 12 to 15 when I was too old and didn't want to go up to the next group, and got up to explorer level merit badge (Was one task away from getting the cord).

When I was 13, my dad got nostalgic and decided to become one of the troop leaders (Also, when there's a girl, there has to be at least one parent according to the rules, so he also did it for my sister). Since he joined we went on five-six camps a year and did work for our badges every night. The other guy was a little lazier, so when it was just him we did more games and just talked really.

Would I do it again? Nah. Got sick of camping during Jamboree and personally I didn't like doing all that work for the badges. But, I don't regret going through it. Yeah, I probably won't use anything I learned there, and I've forgotten most of it anyway, but it's a fun memory
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
skoolmunkee at 6:58AM, June 21, 2008
(offline)
usedbooks

Same, but also sometimes we got to go on ‘outings’ to the playground to pick up garbage.

Oh, they did have a day camp at the city level where you were dropped off in the morning and picked up before dinner. Our activities? Macrame, basket weaving, sewing… we didn't even go for walks or anything. There was a bunch of baseball fields next door and we didn't even get to play. I quit when I realized I couldn't join the boy scouts instead.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Ozoneocean at 7:57AM, June 21, 2008
(online)
Hush, go back to your basket weaving. :gem:

I wanted to be a scout when I was little… But I never became one. Later on I found the costumes too dorky and hence the idea rather repellent.

My sister was a brownie. Her dress was a horrible shade of dark mission brown. But she earned a lot of badges for stuff… It seemed very easy for people to earn badges. I did find it funny that she had to call the leader of her group “Brown Owl”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
crazyninny at 10:21AM, June 21, 2008
(online)
I was in the girl scouts when I was a little kid. But I got kicked out not to long after for acting out, and figuring out how all their prize sytems worked. *You had to make guesses to win the prizes. Pretty much, it was either a room number, or a animal.*

But I hated it! @_@ We always had to be outside, even when the bugs would be eating us alive, and it would be deathly hot out! And we didn't even do anything cool. Just sat around most of the time, learing out the wwwwooooooodddsss… Ooo! Amazing… NOT.

If I could, I would of never have been in the girls scouts for that 1 week I was in. @_@
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:47PM, June 22, 2008
(offline)
I quit Boy Scouts because our scoutmaster got replaced with this guy who follows “regulations”. Lame.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
lba at 7:11PM, June 22, 2008
(online)
I was in one of those “disreputable troops” when I was in scouting. Our scout master was a 70 year-old guy with a big white bushy beard and a gravelly voice, basically your old northwoodsman kind of guy that doesn't exist much any more. We never wore uniforms except at Eagle Commisions, ( the ceremony when Eagle scouts got their badge. ) did a week-long trip into the middle of nowhere Canada for canoing and cliff jumping each year with monthly camping, hiking, canoing and skiing trips, routinely did stuff like drop entire trees onto the fire to burn them in half and a whole bunch of other stuff that left us with cool stories, scars, swear words, etc.

We had one guy who was put into the troop because he stole his dad's ice cream truck, and he had a serious pyro streak. One trip he had WAY too much energy, so the scoutmaster told him to ferry wood out to an island in the river with a canoe and build himself a fire. He got so much wood on that rock that when he set it off it burned for a couple days and it would have gone longer, but the rock cracked and slid into the river.

I had to quit just after getting my life badge, when I moved to Iowa and the troops all just wore their uniforms, sat around doing paperwork for badges and just didn't really do anything at all. I was never in it for the badges, I just enjoyed the kinds of fun we had. Although, it did influence me a lot. I learned to be a lot tougher, harder working than a lot of guys my age from doing all that survival stuff and I'd say it was well worth the experience.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Arashi_san at 3:18AM, June 23, 2008
(offline)
I was only in cubscouts for a little while. At first, we never went camping or did anything other than play hide-and-seek in the fire department and played on the fire trucks. Finally, the day came when we were going to go camping, but I pussied out. Because I was a puss. But I was only a ten-year-old puss.
shifting in the wind… is a baby.
K.A.L.A.-dan! Ronin!
also here
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:01AM
mattchee at 10:57AM, June 24, 2008
(online)
I'm an Eagle Scout (you not allowed to say “was,” apparently some crazy old scout demon will slap me if i do).

My experience with scouting was a lot like what Iba described. Our troop was what you'd describe as “rough around the edges.” We went to a variety of different summer camps, because most would ask us not to come back for a while (or at all), because of something we did (incidents with explosives and other various combustables come to mind). But, we also produced the most Eagle Scouts in our area.

There was a lot of good, a lot of bad, but overall a generally good experience. I think it helped that the core of our troop was generally a tight knit group of friends (pretty much all of whom i haven't seen or heard from in 10 years, ha!).

Blah.

I thought it was good. But I imagine it can vary from troop to troop.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 1:15PM, June 24, 2008
(offline)
I just remembered this one time my scoutmaster cut off a corner of my Woodman's Chip and said “Do you know what happens when I cut all four corners off?” to which I replied “Then I have eight corners.”

Yeah, he didn't like me much after that…
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
bravo1102 at 5:12AM, June 25, 2008
(offline)
Cub scout. Did lots of arty stuff; built a scale Indian village, went to jamboree and saw my first tank (M48A1, NJNG 1/102d Armor, the unit I joined years later)

When my brother became a cavalry scout in the army the whole troop/pack/cub/scout thing lost its allure and I joined my local International Plastic Modeler's Society chapter and had fun building models.

When I was in the National Guard I was an advisor for an Explorer troop. I have thought about being a Scout Master but since I now have had an overdose of camping in the Army I don't see it happening. (I prefer Bed and Breakfasts, though Civil War or Rev War reinacting would get me into a tent)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon