Comic Talk and General Discussion *

seasonal sickness :(
Ozoneocean at 7:34AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
Ok. The people in the office where I work have been constantly coming in sick for a few weeks and now I think I've finally caught it. Generally I just don't GET seasonal contagious illnesses because I stay away from sick people and usually work from home. but you can't do that in an office.

-got one last year the only time I worked in an office then funnily enough… lasted for weeks and weeks.
—————-

Anyway, so one of those buggers has passed on something to me and I feel like crap.

Don't you just hate people you pass on sickness to you? :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
usedbooks at 8:34AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
I catch a cold every time I ride the bus.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Frostflowers at 8:34AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
When I clicked on this topic, I thought it was going to discuss hayfever - which seems to run in my family.

But yeah, people who pass on illnesses are no fun. :( My school years seems, in retrospect, to be an endless stretch of the same cold going around and around, passing from person to person. And in winter, we got a stomach-bug. On one memorable occasion, only five out of almost thirty people showed up for school.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
usedbooks at 8:42AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
When I clicked on this topic, I thought it was going to discuss hayfever - which seems to run in my family.
Actually, I thought it was about Seasonal Affected Disorder. Then I thought “it's the middle of summer; that's a winter condition…” Then I thought Ozoneocean is Australian, so maybe that is what he's talking about…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
kyupol at 8:42AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
- eat more fruits and veggies
- take one of those “royal jellly” or “greens” supplements
- eat less meat and drink less of the sodas and alcoholic drinks
- stop smoking
- stay away from fluoridated water, aspartame, and MSGs
- at least 30 mins of exercise a day

That makes your immune system stronger. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
skoolmunkee at 8:51AM, June 27, 2008
(offline)
I only seem to catch things after I've been on a plane. Makes sense really, they're just tin cans full of recycled germs.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
lba at 8:57AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
I rarely if ever get sick, but when I do it usually wipes me out completely for a day or two until my immune system kills it.

That's one of the things I hate about the public transportation system in America. People seem to have no cares or concerns about coughing in your face and sneezing all over your shirt. At least when I was in Japan, if they were sick they'd put on a surgical mask to try and avoid spreading germs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Ozoneocean at 9:20AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
I don't know what seasonal thingy disorder is… All I know is that my throat is backed up with mucus and my left cheekbone feels as if it was hit by a brick- sinus infection in there…
————-

That's funny about aeroplanes. The ladies in the office were chatting about that, talking about how healthy they think it is these days.

————-
kyupol
- eat more fruits and veggies
- take one of those “royal jellly” or “greens” supplements
- eat less meat and drink less of the sodas and alcoholic drinks
- stop smoking
- stay away from fluoridated water, aspartame, and MSGs
- at least 30 mins of exercise a day

That makes your immune system stronger. :)
I've never smoked, rarely ever drink, don't drink any sodas, don't take aspartame, and don't have MSG in food unless I eat at a Chinese restaurant, don't eat much meat, eat a normal amount of veggies, do not believe in supplements or vitamins (as prophylaxis against illness), am allergic to bees so I don't think royal jelly would be that great for me, I exercise at least 30 mins a day. :)

But I do drink Fluoridated water because there is no harm in it.
Personally, I'd rather just keep away from sikcies :(
————-

Funny about the surgical masks… A lot of people think they can wear them as protection rather than as protecting other people from themselves, as you say lba. It's always amusing when people try and use them that way.
Frostflowers at 9:39AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
I don't know what seasonal thingy disorder is… All I know is that my throat is backed up with mucus and my left cheekbone feels as if it was hit by a brick- sinus infection in there…
We call it Winter Depression over here - it's rather common in Swedes, especially those in the northern part of Sweden. It's hard to be happy when you only get an hour or two of sunlight every day in the middle of winter.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Ozoneocean at 10:44AM, June 27, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
We call it Winter Depression over here - it's rather common in Swedes, especially those in the northern part of Sweden. It's hard to be happy when you only get an hour or two of sunlight every day in the middle of winter.
Ah! No, I love winter. :)
It's my favourite time of year. Mainly because it's the only time you can be pretty safe from the heat. It never gets unbearably cold and days without sunlight are treasured rarities. ^_^

The sound of wind and rain is like beautiful music to me.
-Comes from having hot summers/autumns and mild winters.
Aurora Moon at 1:01PM, June 27, 2008
(offline)
I'm one of those people who easily get affected by the seasons…. so I guess I do get the “Seasonal Affected Disorder”. It's one of the reasons why I HATE winter so much…. just because of how it's way too easy to feel like crap. I mean, all I have to do is go out for a 5-minute walk in the winter day and then I come back with an case of the sniffles and I end up actually having an super runny nose afterward.

That aside… I know what you mean about people passing illnesses on to you. Happens in my family…. blah. I especially hate it when my parents comes to visit me while they're sick when they should had stayed home. Sometimes I wonder what's going on in their heads… it almost feels like they WANT me to get sick too, so that I can share in their misery.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
kyupol at 2:20PM, June 27, 2008
(online)

I believe that fluoride is bad for you. There's some books written on it as well as a google search shows.

Its debatable though. I'm not a scientist who is qualified enough to debate every little technical scientific detail of fluoride, but the fact is that its debatable in the scientific community and therefore you should watch out for it.

Based on experience, when I stopped drinking fluoridated water, I noticed having more energy.

As for supplements, I dont trust those that come from the “make you big muscles” kind of stores. I take the natural ones that are made from natural ingredients. And yes they work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
spiritmonkey at 5:45AM, June 29, 2008
(offline)
Breast milk is full of antibodies
:)
Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Aurora Moon at 6:30AM, June 29, 2008
(offline)
spiritmonkey
Breast milk is full of antibodies

Oh yeah, too bad none of us over the age of two can't gain access to an mother who breast-feeds… that'd be kind of creepy, actually. :p

The best way I've gotten rid of colds were to drink shitloads of tea types which had anitoxidants in it. Green Tea, Etc….
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
spiritmonkey at 6:37AM, June 29, 2008
(offline)
Yeah…
…that would be really… creepy…
hehe…
Timmy And the Bleach

There are many things in this world that are uncertain
I'd say I'm one of them
But I'm not sure
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Custard Trout at 8:37AM, June 29, 2008
(offline)
I never get sick. I've been to the doctor once in my entire life, and that was because my head got split in two.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
HippieVan at 8:46AM, June 29, 2008
(online)
I'm sick right now. :(
I always get sick right after exams.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Ozoneocean at 9:44AM, June 29, 2008
(online)
I hate being sick…

I'm not sure about breast milk either, I doubt the antibodies would work on anything but a tiny baby that hasn't got the best immune system yet. You could try it anyway…
Aurora Moon at 11:57AM, June 29, 2008
(offline)
I can just see the pickup line for nursing mothers now:

“Hey, babe. You ever heard that breast milk can help cure colds? Well, would you let me test that theory? *winks, nudge*”

Heh, that'd probably go up into the ranks of the worst pickup line ever…
Aussie_kid at 4:58AM, June 30, 2008
(online)
I always get the flu in winter. I think I've already had it this year, but it's possible I could get it again since I ride the trains a lot going to class now (Didn't last year, but who knows?)
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Walrus at 5:25PM, July 3, 2008
(online)
The last time I got sick was in January on my birthday. I'm always sick on my birthday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
cartoonprofessor at 6:08AM, July 29, 2008
(offline)
Olive Leaf extract… tastes unbelievably bad but works wonders.

Or you could chop up a clove of garlic, put it on a spoom, dribble a bit of honey over it and swallow it… just don't go near anyone for a while… I had a boss once who reckoned all he had to do to avoid getting the flu was spend a day working next to me! (I was a bit crook at the time so did the above every morning for a week or two) Also strangely enough, no Vampires came near during that time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
lothar at 6:25AM, July 29, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
Based on experience, when I stopped drinking fluoridated water, I noticed having more energy.

same here ! when i moved away from a place with floride to one without , i noticed a dramatic improvement in my health , especially my intestines . but maybe that had more to do with the food and the lack of chemical additives and such.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Eirikr at 11:21AM, July 29, 2008
(online)
kyupol
Conspiracy Theory
Yeah ok.

Anyways, in regards to seasonal sickness, that's not something I really get, as my immune system is awesome, and I only get sick about 1 day out of the year. The closest thing I get is really bad hay fever(ex. sneezing) in the spring.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
seventy2 at 5:31PM, July 29, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers

we had to learn about that in 9th grade health class. It's because the brain doesnt get something something or other, and it doesnt affect the body the way it's supposed to. and then people become deprressed.

the one thing i remember well was that people who lived in more northern reaches (where the sun is gone most of the winter) are worse off than people who live where you get more sun.

and within the areas that get less sun, the people who had brighter lights in their home, did better than people with low wattage dim lights.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
Skullbie at 5:48PM, July 29, 2008
(online)
lothar
kyupol

same here ! when i moved away from a place with floride to one without , i noticed a dramatic improvement in my health , especially my intestines . but maybe that had more to do with the food and the lack of chemical additives and such.

Huh….does bottled water like dasini count towards that?

My house's water is from a well but i never drink it
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Custard Trout at 11:24AM, July 30, 2008
(offline)
Most bottled water is from the tap any way.

No, I have no evidence of that. When will people stop pointing out the flaws in my baseless accusations?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon