Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Self-doubt and nervous breakdowns...
Fitz at 10:17AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes…

I was wondering if I was just a rare species or does everyone suffer from such fits of self-doubt. Those actually come and go and come back again ever since I started to draw my comic. I didn't let it stop me, even though the beginnings were hard - as they usually are. I just clenched my teeth and went on. I re-did the first page almost completely a dozen of times. I ALMOST broke down when drawing the third page. But ever since everything went better and better. I developed some sort of confidence, my hand wasn't shaking so much any more, and I figured out more and more ways to work around my insecurities… But this week I'd completely broke down.
It started on Monday. I sat down to draw my Muse - which I promised to do: to her, to my readers and to myself. And I found myself completely unable to. I don't know what's going on. I drew portraits before. Maybe not technically correct, but faithful, at least. But this time… I couldn't get it right nohow. So come Tuesday, I put that away and started working on the next page of the comic.
I wanted a gargoyle for the new episode. Chose to draw my personal favorite. And it was actually going fine - even though I had problems with proportions, and my hand was very shaky and unsteady. The part that overwhelmed me was the shading. I'm always trying to push the artwork in my comic one tiny step further with every page, so I wanted to do the shading with the airbrush tool, instead of my usual “cel-shading” technique, and cast light from underneath for a spooky effect.
The result was tear-jerkingly bad… At which point I completely broke down. I gave up. I felt so drained and exhausted that I went to sleep right away, even though it was barely 7pm. Woke up almost 12 hours later. All day I even dreaded to think of even opening photoshop and trying to do anything. I'd ask myself: what the HELL am I doing among all those amazing cartoonists? I can't even draw a girl's face! Just how lame is that? I didn't actually go as far as considering giving up on the comic altogether quitting DD - but I was completely shattered. Powerless and resigned.

Today I'm MUCH better. Actually managed to sit down and do the damned shading on the gargoyle - just the face thus far, but that's the hardest part, I think. I'm yet to try drawing my Muse again, and I'm still in doubt about it, but hey, I have to do it someday :) In my experience, things rarely got better if I just let it go for a while. Most of the time I just hit my head against the metaphorical wall untill it cracks and I can break right through. I deal with the impossible on a daily basis at work - things that I just can't say are unfeasible because they have to be done, period. So I try and try and try - and I get it done eventually :) I wouldn't even be here today if I weren't stubborn.

But I do break down, sometimes. Almost in regular cycles. Happened even more often when I spent more time writing. That unbearable frustration of not knowing where to go and finding that each way I choose is the wrong way…

Anyone else feels like that, too?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
joe_vee at 10:54AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
Awww it's ok to break down sometimes. I know people who even change their style after awhile because they don't feel inspired about what they are drawing currently (i.e. they don't like the story line or the medium they use etc.) Just do your best and don't beat urself up too much.

And if anyone feels like they are breaking down and need an ego boost feel free to click on my extremely poorly drawn comic. LOL, but this isn't a plug or anything. I seriously think it would make ya'll feel better. I'm more of a writer and not a very great artist so I try not to get so stuck on my drawings.

And Remeber, this is all for fun, and the comics I like to read the ones where it's obvious that the cartoonists are doing it out of pure enjoyment :).
~ You Are What You Love, Not What Loves You ~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
crazyninny at 11:07AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
I would personaly, see a docotor, I've never heard of something like this before. @_@

But you really shouldn't be beating yourself everytime you try to make a comic, making comics is fffuuunnn! *Even if some of us needs to get of their lazy asses to make some more… *COUGH.** Try relaxing the next time you start getting nervous, turn the radio on, or pop in your favorite DVD, anything that'll calm you down.

OH!! And chocolate, chocolate makes the world gggoo rrroouuunnnddd.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
suzi at 12:20PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
I identify with the circumstances, definitely. The feeling you can't draw anything at all, you're stuck, every line is an abomination. Your reaction is quite strong, though. But please, don't think there's something “wrong” with you. I'm taking a class on “medicalization,” which is basically an analysis of how the medical industry is overtaking our lives by asserting that everything that seems “off” is a mental illness. It's pretty scary stuff.

Maybe you're just sensitive, a little more in-tune with your insecurities, a little more vulnerable. It sounds like you really care about your work, it sounds like you invest a lot of emotion into it. Yeah, it might be odd that you're reacting so harshly, but I don't see anything -wrong- with it. Is it a reflection of other stresses in your life right now, and you're upset that you can't seem to control the one thing that you should be able to? (meaning your hand, your art) You don't have to answer me; I'm just saying, consider other circumstances in your life.

We all go through similar things, in varying degrees of painfulness. I have had a couple breakdowns in the same vein as what you described, just not quite as intense. Personally, I find it admirable that you're brave enough and optimistic enough to post and not get stuck in a dangerous rut over your troubles.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 2:17PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
yeah, I can get like that too. In fact, the most depressed I've ever been, where I felt like a ghost wandering around a dead empty world and I never wanted to talk to anyone ever again, was (hah) the result of me feeling artistically frustrated. AKA, I hadn't drawn or written anything of merit in like, months. (this was WAYYY before my comic~ which has a sort of medicating effect on me!)
just keep plugging along, and if you can't get the page right, just do it wrong and never look at it again.

oh and I looked at your comic and it's really beautiful!! It looks professional!!

(oh ps, I don't really like how the airbrush looks when I see it implemented in comics… the cel shading technique looks a lot fresher and neater, so if the airbrush thing doesn't work, fuck it! :D)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
DrBob at 2:30PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
I have always doubted myself and my abilities. I was always happy occasionally with what I drew, but I was never sure if I had the stamina to be consistently good or as good as I wanted to be. I have drawn great sketches that were perfect, and then I tried to redo them on nicer paper and fumbled badly. And yes, I've had good ideas that start off great, but then I can't figure out how to end it satisfactorily. You're not alone in that.

I will say, however, that I have not had the physical reactions that you mention. Is this only in relation to drawing, or do you shake anxiously in other situations? I might recommend talking to a doctor, school counselor, or somebody. Nervousness, self-doubt, frustration, and feeling down about your work are common feelings. But if you're talking breakdowns, depression, and physical shaking, that is not as common, I don't think. It doesn't mean something is “wrong” with you, or that you should overreact. But I would think about talking to someone, even as a way to build up even more confidence.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
ccs1989 at 3:25PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Heck I'm applying for college right now and trying to figure out if I want to try and be an artist or actually do a “real” career. My school is all about the Ivy Leagues. They expect so much of everyone and every kid has got to go to cram school at night to prepare for the SATs. Then the college application process involves signing onto a website and listing schools and then printing the schools out,and giving the list to the guidance counselor who will only let you apply for schools in your target range. Once the counselors have picked the schools in your range they give you a “blue card” to fill out to give them. This makes sure that the guidance office doesn't have to deal with paperwork associated with people applying to schools which they don't think they'll ever get into. They've got a computer program that helps regulate this run by some sponsor.

Needless to say this severely limits the choices of schools you can apply to. You have to be in a really high level art class to be able to apply to art school here. If your not then the office will refuse to send your transcript to that school. I might be able to apply but I dunno. So as you can guess doing anything creative like comics isn't really looked upon as good. But when I do draw it's always a matter of “is this actually helping in the long run? Should I be studying right now?”

But I don't think self doubt is necessarily a bad thing. All it can do is make you a little more humble.

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Fitz at 5:01PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Thanks for the response, everyone :)

Just to soothe those seriously worried about me, it's not like I start shaking uncontrollably and throw myself on the bed, weeping and cursing :) Neither does my hand get so shaky that I draw cardiograms for straight lines. It's just that the pen doesn't follow the pencil lines just as faithfully, as if I were distracted.

Also, it was probably just partially a reaction to this particular situation. Half of it must be my bodily reaction to the season change. Not sure if I'm a meteopath, but hey, the fall isn't the most cheerful season, now is it? So I'm generally very sleepy, so having to get up before 6am to work, sometimes I'll fall asleep between 9 and 10pm.

I'll admit, though, that I'm sensitive - perhaps oversensitive. Erica, my Muse, says so. But then again… shouldn't all artistes be? ;) All joking aside, though - I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, actually. It does lead me to being a bit too perfectionist - among other things. But then again, if I were in a state of constant self-satisfaction, the comic would look MUCH different today. Much worse. Just because I re-did the first page a number of times I came up with the idea for unified color themes with one leading color. And today, that's my favorite thing about it. My point is, I just feel it's not ok for me to half-ass through the page. I want to be happy with it the moment I post it. Maybe a week later, I won't think like it all that much - but right then, right there, I like to be able to think: good job, man. I'm not trying to force my way on anyone else, here or in general, for some taking it easy works way better. This is just me and this is what works for me :)

On a happier note, you should see me when I'm actually done with the page or with a particularly complex panel :) Like the bottle in the last episode. I can be like: ok… wow… I… am… a genius… whoa nelly! lol! And that's just the short version ;) So I accept the ups and downs for the sake of the ups, which feel like nothing else in the world. Also, while the frustration can wear me down, and take on slightly extreme forms - I feel like I'm going through it on Fast Forward. I'm not letting it drain me for months. I sleep it off and try again the next day. And then then eventually make it. So, this is what I finally managed on Wednesday:

I'm happy with it. I tried my usual cel-shading technique, which I use for character shading, and with light comic from the left instead from below - which also had a nice potential. Then, just out of curiosity, I tried to add Gaussian to each section, and this is roughly what I got. Added some extra dark airbrush, and voila! I already did another panel that I'm absolutely in love with. But as usual, I'll do most of the work during the weekend, when I can finally get some sleep and get up at some reasonable hours.
subcultured at 5:46PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
sounds like you have the travis charest syndrome. he spent 7 years to do the metabaron comic only to produce 30 pages. he got fired, of course and some faster artist is finishing up the comic.

being a perfectionist is the same as being unsure rendering your work flow to decrease
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Fitz at 9:07PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
That is actually hilarious, because I HAD the “syndrome” at one point. I spent exactly seven years only to produce about 40 pages of a book (went up to 300 at some point, but then I started from scratch). On the day of the 7th anniversary I gave up on the book and went to write another one, which took me 7 weeks lol! My last took me 7 months. Omen?
mapaghimagsik at 9:46PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
Being a perfectionist is exactly the same as being unsure.

at the same time, Perfect is the enemy of good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
kennatsu at 9:56PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
I get this a lot sometimes. All I can say is that if it's not fun to do it anymore, then don't do it. Otherwise you'll just completely burn out and not update for YEARS! >.<
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
Fitz at 11:31PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Mapaghimagsik: Can't say I disagree. Then again, I read somewhere that he who's always content with his work is either a genius or an idiot ;) Anyways, I think it's not that I'm unsure - it's just sometimes I just know I can do better, or that I could try harder. Even if it's just for the sake of being able to say I gave my best.

Kennatsu: This is exactly why I gave up on the book after 7 years - because after such a long time it was basically nowhere, and I didn't know how to put all the things together in it. It's gotten too big. And if I stuck to it any longer, I'd probably never finish it. Not at the time. Not with my skill level at the time. Now, a couple years later, I actually want to go back to the story and write it from scratch. I finished a couple of shorter novels, each in less than a year, so I think I can give it a go.
As for the comic, the gargoyle is - in the end - just a small obstacle. I have the big picture in my head. I have ideas for the story, for dialogues and page layouts - so it's not like I've no idea where I'm heading. And if I sit down and really work on my Muse's portrait - when I'm not tired after work - I might just make it.
kennatsu at 12:33AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(offline)
I started a certain comic in the year 2001-2002. It was the result of being taunted by people online who said I couldn't do it. After drawing it for a while I found it a lot of fun. That was… ‘til all the flames started licking at my soul. Keenspace’s mechanics as far as uploading the comic didn't help at all (not like the easy interface that Drunkduck has). So it stopped being fun and I stopped it.

Fast forward to the year 2005. I just discovered Drunkduck and its comics. This was before the meltdown. I decided to restart the comic with a new theme and new characters. I've also found a better, more open community along with DD and found it's interface suprisingly easy. The comic became fun again.

Now if it feels more like work than play, I go on a short hiatus (I really should announce them) rather than burning out like I did last time. The comic itself is really stuck to me and I don't see myself completely stopping anytime soon. Flames don't bother me too much anymore, though even with the big disclaimer on top of the comic.

Even now I still don't think my comic's that great. But it's a lot of fun to draw and write. I can only hope that I don't recieve a flame so devastating that I end up with a nervous breakdown. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
kyupol at 8:38AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
Thats normal. Happens in everything and to everyone.

Even the slightest feeling of “self-doubt and nervous breakdown”.

Dont feel too bad about yourself. You are not alone.

I get the same thoughts too… thoughts like… Why the fuck am I still doing this? I'm not getting paid for this and its not like I'm getting uberpopular with 20 comments on every page everytime I update… Its not like I'm hitting the top 100 or have a remote chance of me being featured comic… why keep doin this? its pointless.

Then there is this other voice in my head: BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT AND DEEP INSIDE YOU REALLY DONT GIVE A SHIT!!! JUST DO IT!!!

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
ipokino at 11:28AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(offline)
In Jan 2002 I had a breakdown. I had a wife, family I adored, a big home by a lake in Connecticut and a good job. In April, same year I ‘woke up’ to find myself living happily in a tent in the wood by a stream with beavers in it and no wife, no kids (except my daughter who has always been with me), no house and no job. Took me several years to get back to life… I learned that things weren't important, only people. Seeing people going about their normal lives while I was homeless was a really humbling experience–but I needed it. It was hard, but happiness–real happiness was waiting right around the corner–and hey–I'm here on DD and love it, despite having written four novels (soon to be available on my website).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
shaneronzio at 12:10PM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
Whenever the clouds of doubt begin to swirl I keep on truckin thru the murk.
I change course at times, I keep seperate notebooks, I keep one notebook for absolute nonsense…scribbles and words and the collected wash out of life.
Another sketch book for work on the story.

Never give up.

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
ccs1989 at 11:14AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
subcultured
sounds like you have the travis charest syndrome. he spent 7 years to do the metabaron comic only to produce 30 pages. he got fired, of course and some faster artist is finishing up the comic.

being a perfectionist is the same as being unsure rendering your work flow to decrease

He should try being a professional artist and stop working on comics. Then he'd have time to render every single thing.

Or he could do comic covers.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
spacehamster at 12:00PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Haha, awesome. Truer words were never spoken.

Anyway, I don't think perfectionism is the problem here. In fact, there is no problem. Fitz is just someone who's very passionate about his (?) art and always trying to get better, never 100% satisfied with that he does. And that's a good thing. Sure, it's frustrating sometimes when all you can see in your stuff is your mistakes and your weaknesses, but you know what happens to artists who are too content with their own work? They get lazy and either start to suck or never become any good. Hard work and practice is what makes you get good, and being your own worst critic motivates you to try harder every day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Fitz at 12:35PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
Kennatsu & Kyupol:

It's great that you keep doing what you're doing and for THE right reason: because you like it. I know I love my comic. It might overwhelm me sometimes, since I'm trying to give my best every time, and I won't settle for anything I consider less - but I love the story. I love my characters. I think about them almost all the time, coming up with new stories and polishing well-developed ideas.

Ipokino:

Wow… While I certainly don't envy what you went through, I envy you the wisdome… And… I feel silly for always getting depressed over trivialities… Glad you're back on track and all the best to you!

Shane:

Yeah, even if I took a break from the comic, I would not give up on it - nor would I last long without creating SOMETHING. I feel like I just need it. I just got two weeks off from work and I'm gonna use most of it for writing.

Oh and just to let you know my short crisis is over, lo and behold, my latest work :)
kyupol at 5:58PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
glad youre feelin good.

Nice portrait face btw. :P
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:42PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
Someone
Self-doubt and nervous breakdowns…

I'd say something, but I'm just not good enough to contribute to this dicussion…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
jmt at 7:45AM, Sept. 17, 2007
(offline)
I am plauged by self doubt all the time, and I have had nervous break downs. So buckle up, enjoy the ride and welcome to the club.

By the way, I have some fan art coming your way when I get the time to finish it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
polo at 3:40PM, Sept. 17, 2007
(offline)
I'm not alone… AWESOME!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
barking_frog at 6:55PM, Sept. 17, 2007
(offline)
I just went through a bit of this last night. ^.^ Self-doubt is having an entire thread on forums.somethingawful.com dedicated to trashing your work, lol. Sample comments (I'm bleeping the obscenity ‘cause I’m not sure what drunkduck's policy is):

“…is writing and illustrating what is probably the worst comic I have ever seen.”

“Mmmmm, looks like ****.”

“Not only is it ugly, its also boring as ****.”

“The way he draws it gives me this mental picture of him sitting down at his drafting table and sighing before saying ‘okay, for real this time, this is serious.’ and timidly putting pencil to paper.
”Followed shortly by the fevered sound of an eraser, a sniffle and a whimper.“

”…couldn't draw a decent looking face to save his life, and the story is really boring and cliched…"

So I stared at the ceiling for a bit and thought about whether I might not have the completely wrong idea about my creative abilities. But the fact is, add it all up and I've received more positive comments than negative – and it's possible to find people trashing on almost anything on the Internet (I was reading a thread the other day about how Michael Turner shouldn't be permitted to hold a pencil). I did some soul-searching, and today I felt fine and got back to work.

I think what leads to breakdowns is that we perfectionist types are our own worst critics. When we get good feedback, we only wonder how we can do better – when we get bad feedback, we can ponder over it for hours or days. My only advice is, when you feel overwhelmed by criticism (from either self or other{s}), stop what you're doing and spend a couple hours just working through it. If you push it into the background it just gets bigger, and if you just wallow in it without really ADDRESSING it it can break you. But if you get everything else off your mind and just try to look at what you're doing as objectively as possible (do you enjoy it? Do other people enjoy it? Is it necessary that EVERYBODY enjoys it?), I find I come out the other end feeling even stronger about what I'm doing.

Hope this helps you some.

MWWT: Blog / Newsletter
About Me / Contact / DALnet #mwwt
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Fitz at 1:50AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
Woot! I have my own hate-thread! I feel special :)

In my experience - and it's not like I started doing something yesterday - crises stemming from worse-than-usual artistic “shape” aren't solved by looking at it objectively and asking myself these questions. Do I enjoy it? In general - and even in times of depression - yes! Is it necessary that EVERYBODY enjoys it? No. For the very simple reason that there are as many opinions as there are people in the world. So I'm not gonna poke my eyes out and juggle them, because I know even that won't be enough for some people. That being said, how does that help me get past a particular obstacle? Which I feel I have to get past because I won't stop doing what I'm doing just because of this one thing! The best way to get something done is work on it.

As for critiques/criticism, you choose to rely on the number of kudos vs. trashing. To me, it's a lot more about quality. So I'm not gonna give a damn about ‘opinions’ like “this is shit”, even if I hear it a zillion times. And the funny thing is, the most fierce instances of criticism I have come across were usually the most concise. Someone takes the enormous effort to type “this sucks” and runs away, happy in the thought: “Haahaa, I told ya, and there's nothing you can do about iiiit! Neener-neener!” Internet seems to encourage being an asshole. Now everyone can say shit about anything and everything and get away with it. And that's what people do. Nothing you can do about it. SA's gone as far as making it its main purpose and its basic rule. Pay 10 bucks to become an elitist asshole! Woohoo! lol! That thread over at the SA boards can go on forever, for all I care - years and years after I stop drawing the comic. All that matters I'm not gonna stop as long as there's at least one person enjoying it. Even if that person is only me. Period. Criticism will be there, whether I welcome it or not. No reason kill myself over it. If there's anything at all that I can make of it - I'll try make the best of it. If it's just pure pleasure of trashing me, I might crack a smile if it's funny (and some of it was, actually - especially how true the person's mental image was), but it won't matter a bit.
barking_frog at 3:54AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
Fitz
Woot! I have my own hate-thread! I feel special :)

Fitz
If it's just pure pleasure of trashing me, I might crack a smile if it's funny (and some of it was, actually - especially how true the person's mental image was), but it won't matter a bit.

Possible misunderstanding there – the hate-thread was in regard to my book. ^.^ I brought it up as an example of the kind of thing that can (and did) bring on self-doubt.

Fitz
And the funny thing is, the most fierce instances of criticism I have come across were usually the most concise. Someone takes the enormous effort to type “this sucks” and runs away, happy in the thought: “Haahaa, I told ya, and there's nothing you can do about iiiit! Neener-neener!”

YES! I take serious negative criticism very (ahem) seriously, but I also see it very rarely. While the kind of comments I received in the SA thread stung initially, ultimately there's very little content to them, and what small amount of legitimate criticism there was seemed to be misplaced. Anyway, it sounds like as far as that sort of thing being breakdown-inducing, you take the same basic tack as I've started to!

Fitz
SA's gone as far as making it its main purpose and its basic rule. Pay 10 bucks to become an elitist asshole!

In defense of SA, it's actually by far the most helpful forum I'm on. SA seems to be divided into two basic groups of people (with overlap) – those who post regularly in the “helldump” thread (where the hate-thread came from), which is a no-holds-barred troll fest – and those who post everywhere else, where no trolling of any kind is allowed. The latter group seems for the most part to be serious educated professionals and students, and they typically have much better quality comments than I see in most other forums.

I actually kinda admire the SA admins for cashing in at both ends – they're making money from the “elitist assholes” but containing them to just a couple of forums where they feed off each other, AND making money from people who want a completely troll-free environment everywhere else in the forums. Of course, “helldump” is what everybody outside SA hears about. ^.^

MWWT: Blog / Newsletter
About Me / Contact / DALnet #mwwt
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Fitz at 4:39AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
My bad, then! I guess this got me confused:

Someone
Self-doubt is having an entire thread on forums.somethingawful.com dedicated to trashing your work, lol

Damn English! Majored in it and it still it makes me confused on a daily basis lol! Plus, the opinions you quoted made it sound like a trashing of my noobishness (which I actually admit to openly, I'm still a noob). Oh well, I feel just a bit less special now lol! Yesterday, I got some severe trashing for the girl's portrait above at a writers' forum I'm a member of.

Apart from doing the comic, I write a lot. Half of my short stories are up online, and I've come in for some harsh criticism in the past couple of years. The thing is, though, that not many of these crits are actually valuable. If they say the story sucks, they don't say why. “The story sucks, the characters suck, the humor sucks, the narrative sucks, the metaphors suck” - and off they go, never to be seen again. Some will just say: it sucks, I don't know why but it does. Only few have the ability to point out why they think something's not right. And only these are opinions I will respect. However disillusioning they might be if they concern a story I personally like - I will look into it and sometimes I'm forced to admit they were right. And then that leads me to improving my work. Some of my stories just wouldn't be the same without some input from my readers. If, however, I see someone bashing me just for the hell of it, to make themselves feel better by putting me down - I'll shrug, at best. And sometimes, if I'm not in the right mood, I'll bite. But then I'll be mad at myself for wasting my time on that. Because there are really much more important things in life than venting one's frustrations on others. Too bad most people think otherwise ;)
ozoneocean at 8:23AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
Actually, I've been sick for a couple of weeks now, and during that time my comic suddenly lost a lot of the hits it'd been getting, so that added to my confused fever addled state of mind… Annoyingly I was loosing a bit of touch with reality…
But the funny thing was that even though I was feeling pretty extremely unsure about my work and my comic, It was the one thing I kept working at and not stopping on- because usually always it's the FIRST thing to go, the very first thing. This time however it's kept me tied to things, I finished last week's page in a single day (quite rare), finished this week's page on Sunday, and I'm already halfway through next week's page.

Amazingly, while my brain has been away on holiday, my comic has been going over time… I think there's a connection there… I always find it extremely hard to draw when I'm thinking a lot and when my mind is really active, so I have to find things to distract me when I draw. But lately I've been feeling like my brain has been slowed to half speed and all my intelligence has been drained, I couldn't even understand my own comic script properly, meanwhile I was finding it extremely easy to draw…

I never realised that being stupid and confused was the answer to all my problems! I might just start drinking…
There, so I had your problem, but in reverse… Nothing was working for me except my comic. :?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Fitz at 10:30AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
That's funny, I had a similar experience. One time, I was recovering from a bad case of flu. I was still dizzy as hell. My head was spinning and I felt like boiling and freezing at the same time. So I sat down and started to work on a short story I'd started a couple of weeks earlier. Finished it in two days - while my state didn't improve at all. And to this day, it's my readers' favorite. I posted it at a writers' forum, where it was chosen the Story of the Month and then was #1 in the ranking for three months.
Before I got a 1 from someone who hated everything about it lol!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved