Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Self-doubt and nervous breakdowns...
joeychips at 11:19AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
In the past I have gotten into an emotional frenzy over my artwork. But what has helped me come out of it is when I remember a few key things.

1) No artwork ever stopped a war and no artwork ever made a dead heart beat again.

- What I mean by that is to not take yourself too seriously. Art is communication and expression, but it cannot save lives or stop war. If you get lost in your art… it may be interesting, but you're still lost.

2) This is all going to burn.
- What I mean by this is that art is not permanent. One day the world will end and God will judge the living and the dead. And this world will pass away, and along with it all of our precious art.
Joe Chiappetta
www.SillyDaddy.net
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
barking_frog at 7:12AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Fitz
The thing is, though, that not many of these crits are actually valuable. If they say the story sucks, they don't say why. “The story sucks, the characters suck, the humor sucks, the narrative sucks, the metaphors suck” - and off they go, never to be seen again. Some will just say: it sucks, I don't know why but it does. Only few have the ability to point out why they think something's not right.

Check out Zoetrope Virtual Studio. It's a “peer review group,” and basically everyone on there is a writer. The way it works is you review five stories, and then people will review yours. If you post another story, you'll be expected to review five more, and people will review your new one. Etc., etc. So it's basically mandatory for people to provide reviews, and most people provide fairly decent criticism. There are still people who obviously skimp, but you can usually count on getting one or two careful, thought-out reviews for each story you post.

MWWT: Blog / Newsletter
About Me / Contact / DALnet #mwwt
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Poke Alster at 9:59AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
That website sounds pretty good
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
barking_frog at 1:12PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Poke Alster
That website sounds pretty good

It is – it's a pretty good place to network, too. I knew I wanted to do an alt.history in my comic, but history's about my weakest area of knowledge. I met a woman on Zoe who's an amateur historian (I met her when I reviewed a couple of her stories, both of which were history-oriented), and she's been helping me make sense of the 20th century for the comic in such a way that I can tweak history to suit what I want without doing anything accidentally embarrassing. ;-)

MWWT: Blog / Newsletter
About Me / Contact / DALnet #mwwt
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Glarg at 2:39PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Self doubt and nervous breakdowns? All the time man! I self doubt myself constantly, I always think my work is shitty and needs improvement, no matter how good my friends say my art is I just automatically critique my work as sloppy and unusual, I feel the need to improve on my anatomy CONSTANTLY and switch to a form of surrealism…My work however IS shitty to my standards.

As for nervous breakdowns, they range from me getting drunk and crying, to me all sober and hitting the floor in displeasure…There's nothing wrong with me, I just hate myself. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
Poke Alster at 9:25AM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
As i am a teenager i have mood swings every 10 minutes so i get used to feeling like that
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Warspritecomic at 10:03AM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
I admit I havn't read all of the posts (short attention span) but I thought I'd say what I feel too.

I'm often depressed. In fact, more than often. More like all the time. The only difference between me and the other people here is the fact they can actually draw. I physically can't draw straight lines, they are always horrible and all my lines look . Does that stop me? Well, yes often. But I just have a nice, long break and I draw whenever I feel like it. In fact, I think I might actually draw one right now!

Sorry for going off in a tangent. ^_^ Anyways, if you feel like your work is not good enough, or you feel really bad, just take a break. Just don't draw (other people might disagree with me here) but just relax. It does a world of good.

That's just my £0.02
FIGHTSPLOSION 5!!! IT HAS 2 ALIENS, A PIRATE, A HORNY NINJA AND A HOMOCIDAL FIRE PRODUCING PENGUIN! AND A BIRD WOMAN AND A CAT WOMAN!

Also a mute that reminds me of Johnny Bravo and Samuel L Jackson at the same time!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Djeinus at 4:42PM, Nov. 10, 2007
(online)
Nervous breakdonws? Few times, not often, though.
Although, when it happens I have a very effective technique, which I have seen, cannot be taken up by everyone, as easily as I have.
It has only one step and it's saying to yourself: “What the hell!” and keep on drawing.
It has really, no REALLY worked well for me. I have never felt depressed about my art with that surprisingly effective way to get rid of self-doubt and nervous breakdown. and if you look at my art, you see it's not perfect. (Although I do try to improve too.)

also, taking a break for a while also works well, but I use the other way a lot more. Just used to.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
kyupol at 8:31PM, Nov. 10, 2007
(online)
every time I worry about ‘popularity’ I start feeling a bit depressed.

lol thats the time of day when some of my brain cells decide to take a break.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved