Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Senses
Ozoneocean at 10:03AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
Here's another topic that Polkster would describe as a stilted first date attempts at a discussion topic" :)

What's your keenest sense, of the 5 normal senses? In which ones do you have limitations?
——————

Hearing-
I can't hear deep bassey sounds very well. I can't distinguish much difference in the deeper registers. I can however hear quite well for the rest, even into the higher registers, which gets very irritating around malfunctioning electronicsthat emit at high wavelengths- especially since that can get directional so you only hear it when your head is facing the right way.
It also means that when bands turn up their speakers louder than they can take the base turns into muffled garbage for me and the higher tones become a screaming, warring cacophony and I can't distinguish anything.

Sight-
The eye doctors tell me it's perfect. That's nice. I have no problems there… just an addiction to sunglasses since bright light makes me see in black and white (when I go back into the shade that is) until my eyes readjust… Pretty sure that's what happens to everyone though.

Taste-
I think it's normal. I've never really tasted “hot” food as hot. For me it's either peppery or painful. Not painful as in “like burning”, rather painful as in “cutting”. I can tell differences between different types of wine, but not enough to make an impression that I really remember any individual one or even understand how people can do that. I just know if the taste agrees with me or if it doesn't and why.

Smell-
Extremely sensitive. This is a bad thing. -_-
…I have a big pointy nose so I suppose it's justice of some sort.

Touch-
Nothing special here. Nothing significant at all. Just glad I have it and that I'm not numb, that's a nasty feeling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
kyupol at 11:32AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
What about the 6th sense?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Ozoneocean at 11:35AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
Ignoring that for now. And the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th.
amanda at 12:19PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
My best sense is my sense of touch. I'm extremely texture-oriented, love to touch things in general. My favorite things are bamboo cotton sheets and wicker furniture. And people! I think it's interesting how everyone's skin feels different.

Taste is second - I have a sensitive palatte - it sucks. =[ However, I can pick out most individual ingredients in foods, and that's a handy trick for… I dunno… Something. Food carnivals. Whatever. I think texture also plays a big role in foods I like or dislike.

Hearing isn't an issue - I can hear things just fine - the problem is that I don't pay much attention.

Smell - Pretty run of the mill. Smells that are WAY too strong make me a bit queasy, but that seems to be par for the course with everyone.

Sight - *cries* I've had glasses since I was eight and spent the entire remainder of my elementary school being called Window Face ^.^ It's actually not so bad now that I have sassy frames that fit my face well. I'm not blind or anything, but I can't see well enough to drive without my glasses.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
DefaultNick at 12:20PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
Hearing:
im a musician, so its pretty obvious i hear things pretty well, though i seem to have problems hearing even loud sounds when there is too much noise around, i guess my ears cant focus on one sound between distractions.
Sight:
i had a perfect sight in high school, but lately its becomeing worse. Medics say because of my spine problems eyes dont get enough blood or something. Also i have bad light perseption. i see much less in the dark than others.
Taste:
Well i gotta say i killed my taste sence. I dont know if it was something special before, but ive been eating too many spicy and high contrast taste food, and it really dimmed my taste. But now i can eat disgusting food with no problems.
Smell:
Average, but i spend most of the time with alergy on my cat, so with all the sneesing i dont get to scent much.
Touch-
Dunno. Its not something that can be easily campared with others. All i can say is that when im intimidated, i fell mush less pain.

My favorite sence of all is sight… duh… because life is bearable only until you see it. I can imagine myself without taste, scent or touch, but not sight. That would ruin the whole life for me. On the second place is hearing - it puts bread on my table without big efforts;) And i like listening to music.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
lefarce at 12:40PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
My sight is really keen, but I'm mostly deaf in one ear. I have a hard time picking up on bass.

My sight is so keen though that I'm able to see through the computer and into other people's homes. Naughty naughty Ozone, first date attempt indeed. WINK

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Chernobog at 1:07PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(offline)
Sight: Bad. Fifty over twenty. I need glasses all the time, as everyone has no discernible face beyond two-three feet. It's very Silent Hill sometimes. On top of this, I'm partially colorblind. Colors not only look dull but resemble other ones. Greens becomes either blue or grey and I can't really tell the difference between red and orange on a Candyland board.

Taste: Decent. I have almost no sweet tooth, however. Some sweet tastes are just vile, actually. I have enjoyed chewing aspirins, though.

Touch: Almost numb. I suffered Lymes Disease ten years ago which wildly screwed up my nervous system and left me arthritic in the knees. It's a mixed bag. While I can't really feel that much cutting, stabbing, or impacting pain anymore, I can't readily respond to the good things in life either. As a former practitioner of stoicism, I suppose it suits me though.

Hearing: Very sharp. I can identify people walking up to the building I'm in by steps alone sometimes. It's not easy to get the drop on me ever.

Smell: Pretty good. I can usually detect something burning before other people can. Following a fragrance is no problem.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
HippieVan at 1:13PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
Hearing: Normal, maybe a bit better.

Sight: Very good.

Taste: I am actually a “supertaster” which is pretty cool. I learned that at a science centre a few years ago. :D

Smell: Normal

Touch: Normal
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Sea_Cow at 1:25PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(offline)
My hearing sucks. My sight sucks. My taste is way too strong. My smell is horrible. I can't feel stuff very well, except headaches.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Redemption at 2:44PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(offline)
Hearing - I hear too many high register noises and hear that electronics whine/buzz, too. I have to turn off stand-by televison and computer screens etc. so I can sleep.

Sight - just about 20/20.

Taste - average, as far as I can tell. I like coffee too much but I hear that's not unusual…

Smell - TERRIBLE. Truly sub-standard. So I don't wear perfume because what smells great to me might overpower other people. On the plus side, I don't smell unpleasant things very easily.

Touch - High pain tolerance, although I don't know if that's due to the sense or not. I can hold and move a pencil, that's all that matters!

Stilted date discussion topics? Perhaps we all need to spend some more time off the internets… :D

Updates Thursdays.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
Product Placement at 3:28PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
This sounds fun.

Hearing: Very keen hearing. Too keen, in fact. I can hear tons of stuff that others can't hear, both in the bass range and the high pitch range. During nights when I'm trying to go to sleep, I tend to hear these weird vibration sounds that I can never quite figure where it's coming from. Those I've slept with have never heard it. My hearing is very sensitive when it comes to high pitch sounds. Things that don't bother others will cut through me like a knife and give me migraines. I tried out this fun looking hearing test where you press buttons and stop at the point where you're about to stop hearing it.

Here's my result.

You can do it to.

Sight: Another one of those super senses of mine. I have a 20/20 sight. Can read the lowest line on the chart like nothing to it. I also see incredibly well in the dark. The drawback is that my vision becomes strained in normal daylight. I can't open my eyes fully because it overwhelms me. I always have to squint or where sunglasses. This fact, combined with my abnormally keen hearing has practically made me believe that I'm in fact a member of a secret group of mole people who have successfully infiltrated the above world. So secret that even I don't know of it.

Taste: It's probably not better or worse then the average person. I have waiter training and went through allot of wine tasting and as a result, I can discover allot about wine as I drink it. I can normally figure out if I'm drinking a glass of Chardonnay as opposed of Riesling. However as someone who's learned about taste, I actually know that the nose plays a vital role in that. Try tasting something while holding your nose. For example, pop in your mouth a handful of skittles. All you're able to detect is that you're eating something sweet. Let go of your nose and all of a sudden an explosion of fruity flavors occurs in your mouth.

Smell: I have a keen sense of smell but I'm also highly tolerant to bad smells. I can stay inside a room that will have most people running out of.

Touch: I don't think I have a good sense of touch. Or at least better then the average person. For example, I've tried reading braille, using my fingers but I can't make a heads or tails of those symbols.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
JoeL_CQB at 7:12PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
i have weird senses.

sight: i have a astigmatism, but it's in a really weird equilibrium right now. I'm getting what ever is the opposite of astigmatism, so like in 20 years they'll cancel out.

i always wondered how it would be to be color blind, because i have a friend who can't tell the difference between red and green if they have the same saturation. we're sometimes dicks when playing board games and grab a green and red piece and ask him what colors they are.

hearing: horrible at high pitch range. my friend was playing mosquito ring tones at me and i could't hear the one that was meant for people in their 20's. i could hear pretty well in the bass range.

touch: numb-ish. really delayed. some time's i'll be cooking, put my hand on the stove, and not feel the heat some seconds later, usually by that time, i would i have noticed that i put my hand on the pan and removed it before i felt the heat.

taste: normal people sense, i guess.

smell: keen, I can identify foods by smelling them. and certain objects. and metals too!

supposedly the 5 make up reaction speed, and apparently according to my friends i have a really fast reaction speed, although everything seems to move slow in my eyes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Faliat at 8:17PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(offline)
even though there's actually more than 5 senses, I still wanna make this thing anyway.

Hearing-
One of my ears has an oddly shaped canal so putting ear buds in is a pain since that ear tends to make most kinds not send the sound in the right direction for me to hear it properly. I also have problems with earwax and that affects my hearing even more. When I have less wax in there my hearing is extremely sensitive which is good considering the abuse they've gotten from serious infections to stabbings and scrapings. Not to mention industrial music.
I actually have quite good ears when you think about the rest of my peer group who are probably going to need hearing aids within the next five years.

Sight-
I've needed glasses since around the age of 12. I wear tinted and prescription sunglasses a lot since I'm sensitive to bright lights. I've had a floater in my right eye since birth that is a black dot and I frequently jump when I notice it because sometimes it looks like a bug flying in my face.

Taste-
Ever since I was little I've had an interest in strong tasting foods. I used to eat Branston pickle and dip chips in my parent's hot curries. I experiment occasionally but I'm not that adventurous that I will eat rabbit, lamb or venison.
And just because I like those kinds of foods doesn't mean that I haven't got sensitive ones, either. I usually make diluted drinks very watery according to other people.

Smell-
So sensitive it takes over an hour for me to return to a room after someone has sprayed air freshener, perfume or deodourant without feeling sick or choking. And even then I'd still be able to smell it when everybody else thinks it's gone.

Touch-
It's hard to gauge at the moment. Recently, I feel like I'm losing sensation in my fingertips and I'm concerned about it. I'm going to see a doctor about it later this week among other things.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Ozoneocean at 8:17PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
JoeL_CQB
smell: keen, I can identify foods by smelling them. and certain objects. and metals too!
Yeah, metals do smell. They taste different too. -also feel different (different conductivities and densities mean some are colder, or tinnier). And sound different when knocked.

But the taste thing is my fave. It always shits me when people say that blood tastes “salty” or “coppery”. Are they morons? It tastes like f**king rust! Iron. That's what's in it (among other things), that's what it tastes like. It's not complicated, there's no nuance, there's nothing mysterious, interesting, hard to put your finger on. It's just simple watery rust. One of the most basic flavours you can have.
I hate it.
JoeL_CQB at 12:17AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
JoeL_CQB
Yeah, metals do smell. They taste different too. -also feel different (different conductivities and densities mean some are colder, or tinnier). And sound different when knocked.

But the taste thing is my fave. It always shits me when people say that blood tastes “salty” or “coppery”. Are they morons? It tastes like f**king rust! Iron. That's what's in it (among other things), that's what it tastes like. It's not complicated, there's no nuance, there's nothing mysterious, interesting, hard to put your finger on. It's just simple watery rust. One of the most basic flavours you can have.
I hate it.

isn't there iron in the blood? so it should taste like iron.

aluminum alloy and stainless steel have similar and a really flat scent. the only way to tell them apart is weight.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
BffSatan at 12:30AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
My best sense is my spider-sense.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Ozoneocean at 12:31AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
JoeL_CQB
isn't there iron in the blood? so it should taste like iron.
That's what I sort of said… :)
But not iron in actuality; rust. the oxide of iron, which is a lot more full in flavour :)
BffSatan
My best sense is my spider-sense.
That'd be great I hadn't said in the thread we were talking about the 5 normal ones… -_-

Back to reality, they say that balance is a full on sense. And also time sense- knowing how long things take etc.

…Aaaaaand now back to 5 normal ones…

HippieVan at 1:08AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
JoeL_CQB

I hate it.

Calm down there. I imagine most people(including myself) haven't tasted a whole lot of rust. In fact I think I try NOT to lick rusty things if I can help it.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
AQua_ng at 3:30AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(offline)
Sea_Cow
My hearing sucks. My sight sucks. My taste is way too strong. My smell is horrible. I can't feel stuff very well, except headaches.

Ditto.

My sense of balance however, is fantastic.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
lastcall at 4:56AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(offline)
Like ozone, my sense of smell is extremely sensitive. Which sucks most of the time. Although if the FBI asks me to be a forensic smell expert, I would be all over it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Polkster at 11:03AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
Awwww shit, am I officially a forum personality?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
mwace at 9:46PM, Aug. 5, 2009
(offline)
For the love of god my sense of taste and food texture is completely broken.

I can only handle very simple/familiar textures and consistancies and have an unusually strong sense of taste. Bowl of cold cereal and glass of milk. Loaf of bread and slices of cheese respectively. In my childhood I had to be provided with a plate of spaghetti and sauce in separate bowl, and now that I'm living on my own I never touch any kind of sauce. I live almost exclusively off of buttered pasta (greated parmesan cheese and mac'n'cheese are nifty), cheese pizza, cereal, crackers, juice, and candy. I CANNOT EAT SANDWICHES, PEOPLE! Eating or even thinking of eating food like thick soups doesn't cause any kind of pain known by other humans, but I absolutely WILL NOT eat food I'm not comfortable with - I will scream and fight you and be utterly miserable if I do have some of it.

This has been a huge source of embarrassment and social awkwardness my entire life.

Faliat
Not to mention industrial music. I actually have quite good ears when you think about the rest of my peer group who are probably going to need hearing aids within the next five years.

Right with you on this one, although I might be one of those needing hearing aids xD

In regards to other senses, I think pretty visually \o/ -but I'm short sighted in my right eye which is going to make me shit with a rifle =(

ozoneocean
I hate it.

No love for the hemoglobins ='(

I do love the diversity in this thread.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Disgruntledrm at 11:53PM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
Hearing - I really can't handle high-pitched noises…I can hear dog whistles. Other than that, it's pretty average.

Sight - I've got perfect vision. 20/20

Touch - That's a rather hard sense to determine…I suppose it's average as well.

Taste - This would be my best sense. I can taste the ingredients used in a dish and tell them apart quite easily…especially Cillantro (yuck).

Smell - I don't have a sense of smell. Chronic sinusitis has robbed me of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
GracehFaceh at 2:31PM, Aug. 6, 2009
(online)
Touch- I have to touch everything. Especially squishy, soft things. Mostly, though, I like the feeling of pressure, so I clench my jaw a lot. I'm very orally fixated, so I have the tendency to bite things. My nails, loose bits of skin on my fingers, the insides of my cheeks, soft things like blankets, other people… Okay, I stopped doing the last one. However, it's usually my first defense when someone's trying to steal something from me or starts attacking me.

Smell- My sense of smell is a little sensitive. I usually smell food before I eat it, as least stuff that's new to me. If it smells bad, it's probably gonna taste bad, I figure.

Taste- This is pretty normal for me. I'm not a picky eater, so different tastes don't bother me too much.

Hearing- Not too great. I mishear a lot of things.

Sight- Terrible. Plus, I have an eye muscle disorder to when I get tired, my eyes turn in and my sight goes wonky.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
ParkerFarker at 3:49AM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
I might have an accute sense of touch, I don't really know, but I do love to touch things. To feel them, the textures and whatnot. There is one thing that I cannot stand to touch, though. Suede. I hate it.

Hearing, it isn't bad, but I often have problems with my ears.

everything else is pretty average.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
PPPchairman at 8:24AM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
My sense of smell is way to powerful. I've actually been able to find some of my friends by remembering what they smell like and if a hallway isn't too crowded or some jack-ass didn't spray axe every where. Although it does suck when my allergies flare or someone has some strong perfume on then my nose just dies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
qqq at 6:26PM, Aug. 10, 2009
(offline)
Might be cheating, but those are all extraordinary apparently. But then again, from my perspective I remain amazed at how bad people's hearing and smell is (and consequently how bad homes are insulated, neighbour's conversations are usually not as private as they'd like them to be), I remember waking up as a child as my mother parked her car in the lot a about 50 metres from our house because I noticed her footsteps, yeah, all people have different footsteps which tells their mood and a great deal about their personality too, some thing people often meet with scepticism but I'm more amazed to that they can't hear it.

But my sense of temperature is altogether nonexistent. I can only feel direct sunlight, if it's according to others like an oven inside but the windows are closed I can't feel it. And my sense of the passage of time is equally nonexistent. I find it amazing how some people can just guess the time of the day so accurately. Or tell 20 seconds passed from 30 seconds passed. I can't tell them from 30 minutes passed. And my sense of distance guessing is about equally bad. I find it truly amazing that people can just guess distance without a reference point. But I beat them in accuracy if I have one, like a thing next to me which says ‘this is a metre’. I also have no sense of left and right. But if I do have one, no matter in what tilted position people are I immediately see which arm of them is left and which is right. And I'm quite good at telling if a complex 3D figure that is rotated is also flipped or not, you know, those things you get on tests. Find the one figure between the four that's flipped next to rotated or the one that isn't, I get those in under a second. I also usually don't notice it if text is in mirror or upside down (to see which way text goes for me is a way to tell left from right).
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
XanderXeroFiasco at 11:13PM, Aug. 18, 2009
(online)
my best one is my spider one.

it makes me dodge punches from the bully in my high skewl.

and since im kinda clumsy, when the red headed hottie thats also my neighbor (who i watch sometimes through the window when were gettin ready for skewl..ssshh!!)watches me in the cafeteria walk down the aisle with a tray full of mash potatoes and peas– and the bullies trip me…i catch all the food in my plate (milk and all!!) without spilling anything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon