Media Megaforum

Sequel to avatar the last airbender(The legend of Korra
Rengishi at 5:13PM, July 22, 2010
(online)
From Escapist: The Escapist : News : Nickelodeon Greenlights Steampunk Sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender

Avatar: The Last Airbender is getting a proper sequel next year that is being handled by the original series' creators.
Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of those great cartoon series that managed to hold a lot of simultaneous appeal for adults and kids by being relatively smart, funny, exciting, and moving at different points. Unfortunately, it also gave rise to M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, the movie that many are claiming is the worst thing to hit theaters this year. However, Nickelodeon has some good news for fans, as the company announced that a sequel to the animated series is in the works and will start airing sometime next year.
The new series' working title is The Legend of Korra and will be handled by the original Avatar creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. The new cartoon will take place a couple of generations after the original series, though it sounds like it might fill in the plot points that were left open at the end of the show:

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang - a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern Avatar world, Republic City - a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

I know none of you could say that the original movie was any good but guess what?

M. Night Shyamalan and the rest of his legion are keeping their dirty monkey paws off this and the original creators are going to be the only ones to work on it and with that being said I think we can all look forward to this movie

PSN account: OrangeDJ1
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
therealtj at 5:24PM, July 22, 2010
(online)
Theirs a review of the original on the Escapist. If it's to be believed, the original could have been good but the writers had to fill it with a ridiculous amount of exposition which killed the story. So basically, the sequel could be REALLY good.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
mlai at 2:33AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
The Shyamalan movie had no chance of ever being good. Just from the POS casting choices, did anyone even doubt that this movie was going to belong in the company of Dragonball Evolution?

Just like I'll never watch DBE, I'll never watch the Shymalan ALA. Justnopoint watched it, and he hated every bit of it.

So this “sequel”… it's a cartoon TV series? A cartoon movie? A live-action movie? Which?

I'd rather it be a cartoon TV series… Or a cartoon movie…

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Rengishi at 4:37AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
It is a sequel to the cartoon tv series
PSN account: OrangeDJ1
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
mlai at 5:53AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
Are you being funny, or did you just misread my question because you're up so early?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 9:02AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
I don't get why you don't understand what he's saying. Maybe “sequel” isn't a good word for an animated series. Would “continuation” or “spin-off” be more appropriate?

From what I gather, it's an animated cartoon series that follows after the original animated series. I did a little google search and found this to be true. It sounds like good news! I really enjoyed the Avatar cartoon and I would love for there to be more, however, I'm a little skeptical about lightning striking twice for this series, so I'm not sure if I should expect a story crafted as well as the previous one.

Also, the way they describe Korra (“passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl” ) makes her sound like somebody's crappy fanfic character. Oh well… We'll see what they cook up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
F Y R E 13 R A N D at 9:15AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
Making a movie based on Avatar: The Last Airbender was probably impossible, and most definitely pointless. I mean, the animated series is complete, it's available out there for people to see… why not just watch the series?

Is there any way a movie of less than two hours could possibly extract all the necessary elements from the first season in an enjoyable way, and then be BETTER than the actual source material? Heck no.

In some ways, I feel like Shayamalan was spot on in visually representing the characters and the world… but in other, more meaningful ways, he completely missed the point. The emotional tone of the movie was nearly the exact opposite of the animated series. The series is so full of humor, yet the movie takes itself way too seriously.

Anyhow, I could talk about the movie for hours. The new series, The Legend of Korra, has me pretty excited. It's animated, it's made by the same people who headed the first animated series, it's probably got just as good a budget if not more than the first series… all the pieces are in place to make another awesome show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Koshou at 9:37AM, July 23, 2010
(offline)
As a fan of the first cartoon series, I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS OH MY GOD IT'S GOING TO BE SO DAMN AWESOME

I just… pretend the movie doesn't exist. :l
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
JustNoPoint at 11:33AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1107556p1.html

It's a new tv series set 70 years in the future after Aang has died and been reincarnated as a girl in the Water tribe.
I can't wait!!!

And mlai: NEVER EVER mention that I saw that movie again!!! I'm still trying to wash my eyes and ears out! OMG
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
usedbooks at 4:59PM, July 23, 2010
(online)
That's the reason I always check Metacritic before I go to a movie these days. I only get to see two or three a year at most anyway. I went to Despicable Me instead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
JustNoPoint at 6:47PM, July 23, 2010
(online)
It's not like I thought it would be any good. I expected the worst really. Horrible casting. Fitting 20 eps worth of story into 1 movie? Even after I heard that it would be darker and more serious than the cartoon I at least thought it would have SOMETHING of value.

I kinda liked Zuko and Zhao. They did a decent job with the blue spirit scene. But the acting, and martial arts were just SOOOO bad! I at least thought if anything it may have decent martial arts to entertain me a bit. But nope. The movie was so much worse than I could really fear. And I'm not a M. Night Shyamalan hater either. I don't keep up with who directs what aside from Uwe Bol or whatever his name was. I only had Night tied to the 6th Sense which I really enjoyed. But now I at least can join the hater bandwagon for this guy.

I knew it wouldn't be too good. But it's like he TRIED to set the bar even lower! -_-
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
blindsk at 1:33PM, July 25, 2010
(online)
Normally I try to look at new movies in an objectional light, but I've given up with this director. It's like placing your hand on a hot kettle just to see if it will burn you again, watching his movies. I guess I do share the sentiment that his first movie had me with its surprising “wow” moment, but now his little trick has been run into the ground every time, and they all seem to blend into the same storyline.

That being said, from what I've seen of the TV show (I guess it would be Book 1), it's an exceptionally well-written animated series, especially when compared to other TV shows out there. I actually found myself hooked without even realizing it - that's when you know the writers are doing something right.

In other words, I'm excited for the sequel to it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved