Networking & Community Projects*

Serious Sprite Comic Project
Titch at 10:55AM, Aug. 1, 2006
(offline)
Me
The ruggedly handom pixel artist/superhero with an audatios idea and mad skills to make the “art”

You
The budding co-writer who will take all the raw resources and pull it together into something diabolicly sexy.

I'll throw this out there, seeing as ever since sprite comic hunting season has been in; quite a few people set out to raise the bar in sprite comics. I've been nuturing the idea of using sprites as a medium to describe setting (rather than a shortcut to not being able to draw) for a while.

Eventualy I came up with the idea of doing a something along the lines of a sprite/pixel comic set inside an online game; supplimented with some “fake” webcam pictures to connect it. It wouldn't be totaly humerous, I'm more intrested in picking up themes about the connections between online personalitys and real life. How things that happen online effect real life.

I'm looking for someone to take all the raw resources, hand crafted sprites, background and draft scripts and pull it together into something cohearant. Perferably flash savy, although I'm open to other options. I'm naturaly willing to be flexible with everything about the project as long as the core theme of a keeping it a sprite/pixel comic and making it emotionaly involving in some way stays intact.

As an asside. If I do find somone, I'm probably going to be looking for people to masquarade as the game players on cam.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Mimarin at 2:51PM, Aug. 1, 2006
(offline)
This idea sounds interesting, but i cant help but wonder how exactly you intend to make this story concept work and wether or not it will just feel like you ripped off the .Hack series.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Titch at 1:02AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
Mimarin
This idea sounds interesting, but i cant help but wonder how exactly you intend to make this story concept work and wether or not it will just feel like you ripped off the .Hack series.

.Hack, from what I've experianced, delt with a problem internal to the game. Players where trapped inside, or forced to enter to try and confront that problem. I want to reverse things, and create an external problem that can only be delt with through the context of the game world.
Comicmasta at 6:37AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
Titch
Mimarin

.Hack, from what I've experianced, delt with a problem internal to the game. Players where trapped inside, or forced to enter to try and confront that problem. I want to reverse things, and create an external problem that can only be delt with through the context of the game world.
Code Lyoko
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Mimarin at 9:42AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
Comicmasta
Code Lyoko

MmmmHmmm.

so yeah, your idea has pretty much already been done, get a better one maybe?
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Comicmasta at 9:47AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
Oh like inside a computer……no wait thats tron

Giant monster attacking city….no wait godzilla.

Giant robots attacking city?……Megas XLR, Godzilla, and the whole gundam series

Well looks like all the good ideas have been taken.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
pastadiablo at 10:25AM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
But Code Lyoko isn't really a MMO, it's just the computer representations of them in cyberspace fighting computer representations of the viruses and such. Actually, Code Lyoko really makes me think of Megaman Battle Network.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Titch at 2:45PM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
Comicmasta
Titch
Mimarin

Code Lyoko

Code Lyoko, from what I've seen of it, is nothing like what I have in mind.
Inkmonkey at 3:03PM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
I just can't picture a serious problem arising in the real world that can only be solved by playing an MMO. I could get behind this project if it was a humorous take on the subject, and just sort of highlights the different type of people in MMOs (like Elf Only Inn, without the role playing).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Ian Jay at 8:16PM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
Inkmonkey
I just can't picture a serious problem arising in the real world that can only be solved by playing an MMO.

"Oh my GOD! The avian flu is spreading like wildfire! Quick, we have to start playing World of Warcraft! The future hangs in the balance!!!"

~IJ

PS: Yo, Titch… I think I get where you're coming from with the “external problem-game world solution” thing. And I think there's still some juice to be squeezed from the idea. Only… instead of creating an obvious threat– something mystical or whatever that is trying to shut down the game– why not make it a bit more realistic? It could be about a bunch of people all across the world who meet each other through the MMO. Then, when one of them comes up against a major conflict– emotional, physical, mental, whatever– the rest pool their resources across the world and try to help this afflicted member of the team overcome the obstacle. You know, kind of a “Dang it, we don't leave anyone behind in the game, we won't leave anyone behind in the real world, either!” mentality. When I was younger, I read a kids' novel called Remote Man that did essentially the same thing, but with chat rooms.

Just remember to keep the focus on the characters and not the technical stuff. Anyways, good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Titch at 10:17PM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
Inkmonkey
I just can't picture a serious problem arising in the real world that can only be solved by playing an MMO.

I don't really want to blow the senario I have in mind wide open on the forum, because it would kind of destroy the point of writing the comic, but, hmmm, off the cuff…

Take the recent FBI descision to monitor XBox live communications for “terrorist activity”. Say a terrorist group DID start using an online game to plot to assinate the president (or whatever it is terrorist do these days) and the comic followed somone who was slowly getting more dug into a situation with them because they, or one of thier friends believes it to be a game event.

Ok, so it's a little far fetched. I say with decent writing it could be done.

I kind of like IanJ's idea. Make the in game events secondary to the players indervidual problems, which they solve through the people they meet in the game. The problem I have with that is it's what I most disliked about the .hack anime; it was getting disgustingly like an emo trip for the main character.
pastadiablo at 7:34AM, Aug. 3, 2006
(offline)
So what exactly is it that you need help with? The writing? Sounds like you have that down. I know you have the pixel art down, and possibly the spriting. Cause it sounds like a fun idea that I could really get into, if I knew what I was getting into.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Titch at 2:01PM, Aug. 3, 2006
(offline)
Pastadiablo
So what exactly is it that you need help with? The writing? Sounds like you have that down. I know you have the pixel art down, and possibly the spriting. Cause it sounds like a fun idea that I could really get into, if I knew what I was getting into.

I have the general gist of the plot, I know the characters I want to introduce, I understand know all the differant plot devices. I'm just not very good at fitting it all together in a coheavsive way. So I need somone to help write and put together the final composition. If I get my way and have flash, it has to be like that because I use the not very flash friendly Linux.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon