Random Discussion

Sexism anyone?
Freegurt at 10:09AM, April 22, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
…A feminist sounds like someone who's only fighting for the interest of women rights. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since women are often mistreated but it's very easy for a misandrist to hide in such movements, possibly doing more harm then good to the cause.

But you can say that with just about any group out there, really. Psycho, bible-thumping Christians or Atheist douche-bags. While you know that the entirety of them aren't psychos or douche-bags.
It's the extremists that are noticed the most because….well they're being extreme. And it can give a bad experience to anyone where they end up flipping their top much like Boxtop did (did you see what I did there? I'm so witty…).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Product Placement at 11:39AM, April 22, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Product Placement
“pro equal rights person” (Sorry. We have a word for that in my native language).
We'd borrow that word for English if you guys didn't insist on using unpronounceable squiggly-wiggles instead of letters T____T
lol!

It's “Jafnréttissinni” if you want to give it a go (means follower of equality). Everyone who's fighting for womens rights prefer to be called that since feminism has a negative stigma where I live, thanks to all the female Boxtops.

Edit: The closest English word I can find that has a similar meaning is “Libertarian”.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
same at 2:40PM, April 22, 2010
(online)
I think it was Sam or someone
Feminism is supid

See what you did dickhead? You unleashed a shit storm.

Completly ignoring the fact that i said the male equivalent was stupid too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:20PM
ozoneocean at 2:31AM, April 23, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
female Boxtops.
THAT should become a new phrase for people who take things too far! lol!

You Boxtop!
Female Boxtops!
You're such a Boxtop!
Crazy Boxtop!

No offence to our DD Boxtop here, but it's just such a great sounding word when used in that context ^_^
Product Placement
Edit: The closest English word I can find that has a similar meaning is “Libertarian”.
To me that word tends to conjure up a bunch of hairy guys in flannel plaid shits with hunting rifles…
The more intellectual class of mountain men.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
lba at 1:23PM, April 23, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
To me that word tends to conjure up a bunch of hairy guys in flannel plaid shits with hunting rifles…
The more intellectual class of mountain men.

Here it generally refers to somewhat conservative folks who believe people ought to be self-supporting rather than cared for whenever possible. They often get lumped in with republicans as a lot of them will try and claim to be libertarian, but they are a rather different group altogether. Not too far off your perception I guess, but without the hairy mountain man/redneck part.

I personally might qualify as libertarian, except that my views are somewhat more liberal than theirs and I have no wish to be associated with the only person I know on DD who I can recall having called himself that as he's firmly convinced that the US government is run by iguanas.

On the strength issue, I do agree that it's a matter of how specific you're talking. In general, men tend to seem to be built to absorb physical abuse more just from a past-jobs standpoint, but women are fully capable of taking the same damage. I think it's more a case of relative perception really. Men usually do work and play in ways that are more likely to get them injured ( say what you want about women moving into men's jobs, but I haven't heard of too many women out there logging yet. It's still a male profession. ), and when one group appears to get injured more often and be able to shrug it off regularly, that does make them appear to be the stronger group. Beyond that thought, I don't have much to add about it since it's been pretty well covered.

I will say that I always find the line that women have a higher pain tolerance to be BS for precisely the reason Product named. There's not a single person around with a higher pain tolerance than a woman giving birth, but how many women do you see fast roping out of a Blackhawk while going through labor? Once again, it depends on the situation. Hospital birthing room? Definite “Her”. Battlefield with a bullet through the leg? Probably a “Him”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Product Placement at 4:04PM, April 23, 2010
(online)
Like I said. There's probably no person around with higher pain tolerance than a women in labor but that's only when she's in labor. Endorphin works kinda like morphine and when a woman is about to give birth, it's as if she's just been injected with 5 times the recommended doze. During other times, her endorphin levels are nominal (although they do get elevated during PMS).

I'm pretty sure that a female soldier, trained by the military is just as capable of pulling off a Black Hawk down stunt as her male counterparts. Soldiers are trained to be at their peak performance and women and men are very similar during their ultimate prime.

Some roles are dominated by certain genders and those are usually based on stigma. Many high income jobs are only available if you know the right people and when all those people happen to be male, then men tend to get these positions. Another factor is upbringing. It's cliché, I know but girls are taught to play with dolls while the boys play cops and bandits. A girl that falls and bruises her knee is told that it's OK to cry while the boy is told to toughen up. The girl gets pretty dresses and a new teddy bear for her pink room while the boy gets transformers toys and monster truck models for his blue room. You can bring up tons of examples that prove the contrary but those are usually exceptions. Most kids receive this type of upbringing and it defines them. Even if the parents don't follow the standard model, there are outside influences that do. Movies, cartoons, comic books, advertisements, the other kids at school, aunts and uncles are more then happy to point out all the cultural differences between girls and boys. Because of this, women tend to go for more sensitive stuff in their adulthood while men tend to go for tougher things. That's why men tends to be drawn to mechanics while women prefer customer service (with the usual exceptions).
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lba at 4:30PM, April 23, 2010
(online)
Essentially what I just said but with more elaboration. I don't disagree with any of it and I was in fact pointing out that that's exactly what I think with the exception that I was saying that in general the physical strength spectrum is weighted on the male end just by nature of how our bodies have evolved.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
HippieVan at 5:02PM, April 23, 2010
(online)
GracehFaceh
Boxtop

You're kidding, right? Judging from what I've seen and read, women are the most emotionally unstable (and abusive) of the two sexes. That's why we men have a hell of a time getting along with them.

Well excuse me, princess. Sorry your mom beat you or something, but that's no reason to be getting all flustered over the idea of a woman being somehow superior.

Allow me to clarify: Since we have a different connection to emotions than men do, I guess you could say we aren't stronger emotionally but different.

Well said, sister. ;)
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Product Placement at 5:32PM, April 23, 2010
(online)
I wasn't trying to contradict you and you're right about there being some physical differences (apart from the obvious ones). I mentioned earlier that increased testosterone levels help build up muscle mass faster which men have at abundance. Muscle building is easier for men but women can achieve similar strength levels. They just need to work that much harder to get there.

The differences between men and women have been studied to a certain degree and its true that evolution can increase the difference between males and females. That is caused by something called sexual selection. By watching bird species you can see how sexual selection has made the males more colorful then the females. Male mammals often need to display size or strength when picking a mate which has developed features like abnormally thick skulls, tusk, horns and such.

It is believed that prehistoric men from the hunter gatherer phase focused on hunting while the women specialized in foraging. Since the most successful people tend to live long enough to pass on their genes, the male/female divide started with males learning to focus much better then women (in order to single out a suitable pray) while the fairer sex learned to be more attentive to details (to help spot the right berries in the bushes, all the while paying attention to possible danger). Men are also supposed to be better at figuring out their bearings then women are (which helps support the theory that they went on long trips from their communities, during hunting trips and had to know the bearing of the land). Women are supposed to be more empathic, since they focused on brining up the offspring and so on and so on. Yeah I know, it's all real cliché but do the same job for several generations and your descendants will eventually get good at it.

P.S. I'm trying to figure out now if I'm talking like this because of my current avatar or if I had been this “scientific” with my standard whoring avatar.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
BffSatan at 5:56AM, April 24, 2010
(online)
Women, amiright?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Product Placement at 10:25AM, April 24, 2010
(online)
Damn straight.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 10:43AM, April 24, 2010
(online)
You Boxtops! >.<

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Product Placement at 10:50AM, April 24, 2010
(online)
Who are you calling Boxtop, Boxtop!?!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved