Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

SFX!!!
Kristen Gudsnuk at 4:50AM, June 20, 2007
(online)
I'm really not all that great at coming up with sound effects… or finding good fonts for them. I was thinking, maybe we could compile a list of sound effects? and recommend some fonts?

here, I'll start:
a font I like for things like banging noises or other loud things is Badaboom

something falling: Bam!, Bang! Crash! (heh I told you I'm bad)
howling wind: Hwoooo
splashing water: plash?
bomb: rumble rumble… BOOM!

anyway, guys, I was wondering if you could come up with some better sfx… it can be like the sfx mini-dictionary!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
reconjsh at 9:35AM, June 20, 2007
(online)
Batman has the market cornered on awesome sound effects.

Awwww SNAP!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
StaceyMontgomery at 10:43AM, June 20, 2007
(offline)
I use the font Zooom for all the sound effects in my comic. I generally like having one SFX font for each strip/comic, to help create a consistent feel and look, just like i use a consistent dialogue font.

I think using a wide variety of SFX fonts works best the looser and funnier a comic is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
KAM at 3:55AM, June 23, 2007
(online)
Falling body - Thud!

Water balloon or watermelon - Splat!

Breaking glass - Crash! tinkle, tinkle, tinkle…

Lightning - Krakaboom!

Explosion - Ka-boom!

Something going by real fast - Whoosh!

Speeding car/motorcycle/something - Zoom!

Car or motorcycle passing by - vrrrrrooommmmm… (it works really well if you start with a small type size which gets bigger in the middle then gets small again to illustrate the doppler shift)

Comic book writer Don Glut always liked to put in a Krakalick somewhere, especially when he ghost wrote a story. He took it from the name of a friend.

The Wotch uses sound effects that describe what's happening sometimes, like Ka-girl! to describe a boy being turned to a girl.

In an issue of Superboy artist Mike Grell drew an exploding ship & at first glance looked like a fiery explosion, but if you studied it you could see that he actually used hand drawn letters as the explosion. It read something like “Look at the fireworks!”

As for fonts I usually try a couple to see which looks best with the sound effect & conveys the accompanying action. Some days one font will look right, but other days I might think another font works better.
The KAMics - my cartoons
KAM's Fanart - fanart
KAMics Kast - cast pages
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
suzi at 8:00AM, June 23, 2007
(online)
I try to stay away from words that are already in the dictionary/common usage for sound effects. Thus, I'll end up using words like “thop” “shoop” “ploop” “ploob” “bwat” “thmrr” “shnitck” “hram” “thrip” “schween” etc. Just…MASSIVE onomatopoeia.

I also like the fad of using words (usually nouns) and adding ‘d to them for sound effects: “hit’d” “sandwich'd” “salad'd” “zombie'd” “water bottle'd” etc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Kohdok at 6:58PM, June 24, 2007
(online)
I use the Impact font for solid collisions, Curlz for sort of cute noises and Chiller or Blood Cyrillic for creepy noises, or to make someone talking sound rattled and weak or creepy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved