Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Shall I keep my text-type or change?
Mirre at 8:59AM, Jan. 31, 2007
(offline)
I usually use Comic sans when texting my comic. Sometimes I change to another (for example when they are thinking).

What do you think? shall I change to something else or keep up with Comic sans?

http://www.drunkduck.com/Myo_Min_Myo/
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
magicalmisfits at 9:33PM, Feb. 1, 2007
(online)
I just looked at your strip and I think your lettering is fine. But if your looing for a different style there are several places to get free fonts. The one I frequent is Blambot. Just google it. I use Anamie Ace an all cap font that looks good with my style. Like so much of what we do it's a matter of taste. I will now go back and read your archives.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Magical_Misfits/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Mirre at 7:08AM, Feb. 2, 2007
(offline)
magicalmisfits
I just looked at your strip and I think your lettering is fine. But if your looing for a different style there are several places to get free fonts. The one I frequent is Blambot. Just google it. I use Anamie Ace an all cap font that looks good with my style. Like so much of what we do it's a matter of taste. I will now go back and read your archives.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Magical_Misfits/

okay thanks ^^
Mystic Hand at 6:59PM, Feb. 2, 2007
(online)
To me, lowercase lettering with comic-book-style fonts usually makes a comic page look oddly homemade. I generally prefer all uppercase unless there's a really good reason for doing otherwise.

I also like to see a consistent font size in all speech/captions except when something is altered for dramatic effect (yelling, whispers, etc.). Otherwise the size changes draw too much attention to themselves and hurt the flow.

There's nothing really wrong with comic sans, but it's kind of basic. Someone just posted a good list of free fonts sites you might want to check out just for fun if nothing else.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Mirre at 5:18AM, Feb. 7, 2007
(offline)
Mystic Hand
To me, lowercase lettering with comic-book-style fonts usually makes a comic page look oddly homemade. I generally prefer all uppercase unless there's a really good reason for doing otherwise.

I also like to see a consistent font size in all speech/captions except when something is altered for dramatic effect (yelling, whispers, etc.). Otherwise the size changes draw too much attention to themselves and hurt the flow.

There's nothing really wrong with comic sans, but it's kind of basic. Someone just posted a good list of free fonts sites you might want to check out just for fun if nothing else.

okay thanks for the link!^^
carly_mizzou at 9:21AM, Feb. 10, 2007
(online)
I like it, really! (great art BTW) I agree with what has been said, but I think in this case it fits your particular art style. The font/lettering style reminds me of when I used to read Sailor Moon/Card Captor Sakura. It works, but in the future you may consider other fonts and shooting for a little more consistancy in the formatting/word bubbles as Mystic Hand mentioned.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
lothar at 4:12AM, Feb. 12, 2007
(online)
you could try what i do -
in Photoshop i select all the text and then use the scroll wheel to spin through dozens of fonts in less than a second, sometimes i do this with my eyes closed!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
reconjsh at 9:02AM, Feb. 22, 2007
(online)
My brother-in-law and I are both professional Graphic Designers. We play a game when we drive down the road together that when one of us sees a design using “Comic Sans” we yell “lame” and the first person to say “lame” and hit the ceiling of the car gets a point. This game is very similar to the broken-headlight-beer game.

The point is: comic sans is fine if you're making a point by using it. But really, Comic Sans looks unprofessional and, in our graphic design world, is mark of a home-made design. No professional I've ever known would work in comic sans… again, in my Graph. Design world.

I think your comic looks good however. Someone above mentioned using a all CAPS font… and there's tons of them out there… alot of which would give you a very professional comic book look.

I think the mere fact that you started a thread asking if you should change is enough to indicate that you're unhappy with the font and probably SHOULD change. If that's the case, try something new.

Try: www.blambot.com - great site for comic book onts and resources.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
acadia at 9:52AM, Feb. 22, 2007
(online)
I use comic sans… =[

Maybe I should rethink that decision.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Priest_Revan at 2:36PM, Feb. 22, 2007
(offline)
I like it. Your lettering actually matches your art style (Comic Sans and Manga's go together real well).

You should keep it.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
acadia at 6:47PM, Feb. 22, 2007
(online)
I dont draw manga… i try to cultivate my own style…

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved